What will McDavid's individual trophy cabinet look like at the end of his career?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
-Crosby is beating everyone in the league (for a career) by .2 except Malkin in the playoffs. That is a considerable gap in the playoffs. Mcdavid hasnt even done that in the regular season let alone the playoffs. You know how much Mcdavid beat MacKinnon by? .01 in the regular season this year. And all of a sudden he's going to beat Crosby and destroy everyone else in the playoffs? Please...
Your comparing one individual who has been in the league for 10+ years and another who has been in the league for 3 and doesn’t have the team around him to make a playoff push, something Crosby clearly has had.

You need experience to get better, right? So holding it against McDavid because he isn’t getting the experience is ridiculous. The guy just won another Art Ross and was declared the best player in the league by his peers for the second straight year. He’s doing his job, the Oilers Management isn’t.

No one is saying Crosby isn’t a great playoff performer. He is clearly The best of his day with Malkin close by, but what does that tell you? He HAS THE SUPPORT. I mean having the second best playoff performer of this generation on your own team certainly makes winning in the post season easier wouldn’t you say? Crosby doesn’t have 3 cups or 2 Smythes without Malkin. Give McDavid a Malkin, with some good defense and a dependable goalie and then let’s see what happens.

Also the fact that Crosby hasn’t lead ANY of the cup winning teams in points. As great of a playoff performer as he has been, he still has the support that star players need to win a cup and that’s McDavid clearly lacks.

Actually look at the bigger picture and context before using one post season sample size of 13 games to write off McDavid as a failure. It’s completely bias and ignorant. These kinds of things take time.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
-As the saying goes, you are the champ until someone dethrones you. Crosby IS the best playoff performer over everyone in this league outside maybe, maybe, Malkin. Could Mcdavid do it? Maybe. He has a lot to prove when the real lights go on instead of racking up points when the Oilers are out of the playoffs by Christmas

I am sure you and daver will figure out some other argument once McDavid has a couple strong playoff performances... you know, the decade grace period or something like that. :rolleyes:

I give credit to those other Penguin/Crosby supporters, who are identifying McDavid as slowly passing Crosby. I too, prior to last season, put Crosby ahead of McDavid but now feel McDavid has very slightly moved forward. :clap:

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It’s comedical that people are using a 13 game sample size as their end all be all.

You’re making it sound like McDavid was pointless in those 13 games. Then again, you keep spouting this non sense over and over.

I also wonder, if you said the same thing for Mario Lemieux during his first few seasons. Somehow, I don’t think you did.
That’s true! Lemieux didn’t see the playoffs for his first 4 years in the league. It wasn’t until ‘89 that he finally made a push. He then went another year with no post season.

It wasn’t until Lemieux finally got some talent around him that they were finally able to make a run for the cup.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
That’s true! Lemieux didn’t see the playoffs for his first 4 years in the league. It wasn’t until ‘89 that he finally made a push. He then went another year with no post season.

It wasn’t until Lemieux finally got some talent around him that they were finally able to make a run for the cup.

-Completely different situations. The Penguins didnt win some lottery to improve the team. The Penguins were the worst team in the league in the 82 and 83 seasons. When you have a -150 goal differential, you know you suck beyond suck. Edmonton wasnt even the worst team in its own division, let a lone suck anywhere near as bad as Pittsburgh did before Lemieux. People want to say the Penguins tanked for Lemieux. Well, we must have tanked more then 1 year, because the Pens were so far at the bottom of the NHL for multiple years it was pathetic. The Penguins had 34 COMBINED wins in 2 seasons. That's 17 wins per year before Lemieux. Mcdavid had #1 picks to work with from the draft. The Penguins had high school talent.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
..It will look like this; only with a bunch of trophies in it....

commercial-trophy-case.jpg

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Mcdavid had #1 picks to work with from the draft. The Penguins had high school talent.
It is not Mcdavid’s fault that one is a complete bust, one is mediocre for being a 1st OV and the third one has been traded. It’s silly to use that argument against McDavid when only one of the three other #1 picks still plays on the team.

Besides, McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins have shown fantastic chemistry late this season. They are not the problem, team depth and management are.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
-Completely different situations. The Penguins didnt win some lottery to improve the team. The Penguins were the worst team in the league in the 82 and 83 seasons. When you have a -150 goal differential, you know you suck beyond suck. Edmonton wasnt even the worst team in its own division, let a lone suck anywhere near as bad as Pittsburgh did before Lemieux. People want to say the Penguins tanked for Lemieux. Well, we must have tanked more then 1 year, because the Pens were so far at the bottom of the NHL for multiple years it was pathetic. The Penguins had 34 COMBINED wins in 2 seasons. That's 17 wins per year before Lemieux. Mcdavid had #1 picks to work with from the draft. The Penguins had high school talent.
the salary cap is why there isn't any weak teams like that any more. Plus the current Edmonton roster is atrocious either way. Lucic is the most overpaid player in the league and just blows. The only real support is rnh and drasaitl. Hopefully kflebom can bounce back. Nurse is just getting his game rounded out. Camalleri is way past his prime. Talbot played horrible as well. We'll see how good McDavid gets in his peak form

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
My point was that I highly doubt people were saying Lemieux was a loser and not as great as he was because he wasn’t seeing the post season. My point still stands, he needed more star power, more of everything really to get a couple of cups. He didn’t do it alone.

Sure, the Oilers aren’t as bad, but they are still bad. Let’s not act like they are a team with so much potential, outside of McDavid, they have little to nothing. You don’t have to be the absolute worst to be considered a bad team, they finished 23/32 for crying out loud.

So stop splitting hairs. Your going away from the whole point. The Oilers are still not playoff contenders atm, and the fact that they stil finished so low in the standings despite McDavids play days everything there is to say.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Winning the Art Ross by scoring a lot after your teams playoffs hopes are gone doesn't make you a MVP.
He was scoring at the same pace as he was last year while they were in the playoff hunt. Again it’s hypocritical to hold it against him that he happened to score more, because we all know everyone would have bombarded him with criticism if his scoring dropped AFTER they were out of the playoffs. It goes both ways.

It’s very faulty logic when you think about it. Every Hart Nominee was bounced out of the first round, so the idea is that you should have to make the playoffs to be the MVP, but is getting beaten in the first round really that much better? What’s also worth noting is that the PLAYERS even voted him the best player in the league.

It’s stupid to suggest that McDavid isn’t MVP material because his team wasn’t good enough to make it to the post season. That shouldn’t reflect on McDavid, who out played Hall, Mack, Kopitar, Giroux, and Malkin.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He was scoring at the same pace as he was last year while they were in the playoff hunt. Again it’s hypocritical to hold it against him that he happened to score more, because we all know everyone would have bombarded him with criticism if his scoring dropped AFTER they were out of the playoffs. It goes both ways.

It’s very faulty logic when you think about it. Every Hart Nominee was bounced out of the first round, so the idea is that you should have to make the playoffs to be the MVP, but is getting beaten in the first round really that much better? What’s also worth noting is that the PLAYERS even voted him the best player in the league.

It’s stupid to suggest that McDavid isn’t MVP material because his team wasn’t good enough to make it to the post season. That shouldn’t reflect on McDavid, who out played Hall, Mack, Kopitar, Giroux, and Malkin.

If you don't get your team in the playoffs you shouldn't win the Hart that is how it should be. Voters obviously are effected by a player helping his team make the playoffs which is a good thing because it is a MVP award not the best player award. Hart doesn't care about what happens once your in the playoffs that is what the Conn Smythe is for. McDavid didn't deserve a MVP award this year when he wasn't valuable enough to get his team in the playoffs.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
If you don't get your team in the playoffs you shouldn't win the Hart that is how it should be. Voters obviously are effected by a player helping his team make the playoffs which is a good thing because it is a MVP award not the best player award. Hart doesn't care about what happens once your in the playoffs that is what the Conn Smythe is for. McDavid didn't deserve a MVP award this year when he wasn't valuable enough to get his team in the playoffs.
I think he was Hart material. Hall was deserving, I even had Kopitar winning it between the 3 finalists. All I’m saying is McDavids season was obviously unique, especially after winning the Lindsay. I think at least deserved to be a Finalists.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Assuming he stays healthy:

7x ross
7x lindsay
5x hart
2x rocket

That's being conservative. He can push for 10 rosses, he's that good.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
McDavid during his Ted Lindsey speech last night: "To my teammates, i owe everything to you guys". He sure had alot of help last season.....

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It will look a lot like the one at Old Trafford in Manchester, the one at the Santiago Bernebau in Madrid, the one at the Nou Camp in Barcelona or the one at Celtic Park in Glasgow.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
McDavid during his Ted Lindsey speech last night: "To my teammates, i owe everything to you guys". He sure had alot of help last season.....
which is crazy. imagine if he had a real supporting cast and an average PP. dude would hit 130 points this year.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Oilers main problem last year was special teams. If they fixed that early in the year they possibly fight for a wildcard and Mcdavid gets even more points. They have fixed these issues by hiring the proper staff, one would hope. Holding a player responsible for bad management is only justified if the player does not live up to it on his end. Mcdavid did his part this season. He surpasses his stats with a better team, and thats a pretty scary thought for the opposition.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
should be quite a few based on his career so far but whos to say another Mcdavid type doesnt come along.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
should be quite a few based on his career so far but whos to say another Mcdavid type doesnt come along.

Mcdavid is a 100% fit for this quick and fast-paced era and that's very unique. It reminds me of Gretzky and Lindros that were also great fits in their respective eras.

If he can get a better team with just slightly better PP he could push for 120 points and stay there. Sid, Malkin and Ovi is getting older and they are not getting to 100 again. The other stars in the NHL seem like 100 players but not above.

While Mcdavid eventually could suffer from a loss of speed and injuries that could take 6-9 years. But he got the time and the field is open to challenge anyone but Gretzky for individual trophies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Really depend on how he takes care of it. A good quality cabinet can last many years but it needs regular cleaning to maintain it’s luster. I find Murphy’s Oil Soap does the job and gives the cabinet that nice reconditioned surface.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad