What will McDavid's individual trophy cabinet look like at the end of his career?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
People can think whatever they want but when a player dies the first thing in that obituary is "two time Hart trophy winner". Just sayin'.
I'm sure that makes the PHWA feel special. The same group of people who just gave out votes for Claude Giroux at all 3 forward positions, and Hall at the centre position in the first and second team all-star voting. The awards they don't or can't vote on mean the most.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm sure that makes the PHWA feel special. The same group of people who just gave out votes for Claude Giroux at all 3 forward positions, and Hall at the centre position in the first and second team all-star voting. The awards they don't or can't vote on mean the most.

To you maybe......

I just noticed that McDavid's performance bonus, like all players I assume, doesn't mention a Lindsay but it sure as heck mentions the Hart to the tune of 2 million.

Connor McDavid's Performance Bonus Details -

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Only reason Hall won the Hart over McDavid is because his season lasted another 5 games. Which shouldn’t really matter for a regular season award, but that’s the only way it makes sense.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
To you maybe......

I just noticed that McDavid's performance bonus, like all players I assume, doesn't mention a Lindsay but it sure as heck mentions the Hart to the tune of 2 million.

Almost positive that list is wrong as it doesn't include the art ross and I'm 99% sure thats included.

Thats great if you value an award voted on by people no more qualified than your average diehard fan. I'll put more value into awards that aren't subjective, and the one subjective award that the actual players vote on.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Almost positive that list is wrong as it doesn't include the art ross and I'm 99% sure thats included.

Thats great if you value an award voted on by people no more qualified than your average diehard fan. I'll put more value into awards that aren't subjective, and the one subjective award that the actual players vote on.

So you don’t think it can be a popularity contest like anything else in life? I am in no way saying it was but of course SOME players could vote for people they like and not for people they don’t like, that is human nature.

I think the writers watch 1000 times more games than the players do (Mark Schieffle excluded ;) ).

I also think the players and the writers get it right 99% if the time.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
tball2.jpg

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Meh I think most players would rather win the Hart over the Lindsay.
I certainly wouldn't if I were a player. I'd certainly value and respect my peers/opponents opinions of me over that of the media that doesn't actually know what it's like to play against me.

The Hart isn't half has prestigious as the Lindsay in my view. I suspect most players would agree.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So you don’t think it can be a popularity contest like anything else in life? I am in no way saying it was but of course SOME players could vote for people they like and not for people they don’t like, that is human nature.

I think the writers watch 1000 times more games than the players do (Mark Schieffle excluded ;) ).

I also think the players and the writers get it right 99% if the time.
There's a huge difference between watching the game and actually playing it, that much should be obvious to anyone. I also highly doubt that is true. Majority of writers only watch the team they cover and catch some games outside of that. Players have free time to watch hockey just like writers, and quite a few of them at least watch highlights, not to mention all the game film they watch.

You don't think that writers are also part of a popularity contest? We see on numerous occasions that PHWA members make absolute ludicrous votes including home team players in their top 5 votes who don't belong there. Its impossible for bias to not exist, players or writers, so your point is moot.

Now with that out of the way, the Hart is obviously voted on with playoffs in mind so I'm not trying to argue that McDavid should have won it. I just question the quality of awards that are voted on by a group of writers who often haven't even watched some of these guys play in a season. That point has been displayed again and again in first and second team all-star voting where multiple voters continue to vote players at positions they don't even play. It happens every year and just further proves my point.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
To you maybe......

Hart might have been valued higher before but media making up their own rules and clearly being wrong will make Hart lose its value going forward.
McDavid > Hall in terms of value to his team and overall play last year and it wasnt even close.

Players got it right.. Media not so much

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hart might have been valued higher before but media making up their own rules and clearly being wrong will make Hart lose its value going forward.
McDavid > Hall in terms of value to his team and overall play last year and it wasnt even close.

Players got it right.. Media not so much

Yeah this whole "best player on a bubble team" groupthink the media was espousing this year is bizarre.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah this whole "best player on a bubble team" groupthink the media was espousing this year is bizarre.

Eh, I think Hall, and MacKinnon, were more important/valuable to their teams than McDavid was to the Oilers, so I think the voters were correct.

Doubtful, but I guess we shall see.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
He's off to a great start, but in terms of something like the Art Ross, I wouldn't be surprised if his peak production occurs within the next two or three years. Guys like Crosby and Ovechkin had their highest scoring seasons fairly young, and McDavid plays a very speed-based game. Seems like a lot of elite forwards peak by age 24 in terms of production, even if physiological peak is generally considered to occur later.

What does benefit him though is he doesn't really have a young Ovechkin to go up against, as excellent as Laine has been. The other players in the league generally considered to be generational or near-generational are already in their 30s. Laine will still likely win a few Richards of his own, but since he can't skate like Ovi could, he'll never be an Art Ross challenger IMO.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Eh, I think Hall, and MacKinnon, were more important/valuable to their teams than McDavid was to the Oilers, so I think the voters were correct.
very debatable. McDavid carried the whole team on his back
Draisaitl's production slowed down once RNH was put on McDavid's line. It was well below PPG.
RNH's became a PPG player once he was put on with McJesus.

Rest of the 20 players did absolutely nothing but flub on golden McPasses.

Oilers dont win 20 games last year if McDavid wasnt playing like the best player in the league.

McDavid couldnt carry his team to the playoffs and Hall \McKinnon could win their team games in playoffs.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
You're right. There's no way he's getting a Stanley Cup to his individual trophy cabinet; players don't get copies of it or anything.

So your telling me McDavids has two different trophy cabinets labelled "individual" & "team"......?

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
So your telling me McDavids has two different trophy cabinets labelled "individual" & "team"......?

[mod]

No, I think he’s telling you a scholastic CHL player of the year can differentiate between team awards and individual awards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
So you're telling me McDavid is a nerd.....?

So you're telling me McDavid is a deuchbag......?

If you can’t tell the difference between “you’re” and “your”, I’m not surprised you’d assume knowing the difference between “team” and “individual” would constitute McDavid as a nerd.

Anyways, McDavid is going to rip the league for a long time- but there’s always a chance someone can have a freak season every year. In my opinion his individual trophy cabinet is going to be really underwhelming given some of these predictions here.

But ya low key McDavid is also a nerd too.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Best part of this thread is watching PenguinSpeed be embarrassed by everyone, including his/her fellow Pens fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad