What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
If they win another lottery they win another lottery, beyond that it all depends on if the team decides to surround the young players with talent and develop properly or do the same thing they've done for the past 14 years.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
The problem isnt the 1st overall picks.

The problem is the management group think tank.

It's mostly old Oilers: Lowe, McTavish, Gretzky, Messier, Buchburger with guys like Howson and Keith Gretzky.

If this group did NOTHING since Tambellini, our roster would be:

Top 6:
RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hall - Barzal - Eberle

Top 4 Dmen:
Klefbom - Petry
Nurse - Schultz

We might be neck and neck with Toronto in our rebuild. But the group got way too "clever" and just lost trade after trade, and botched negotiation after negotiation.

The problem isn't the players. The problem is clearly the management.

That's not how it works. You can't just assume Edmonton would have selected Barzal.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Indifference. It's the NHL. They don't care.

Pretty much this. They wouldn't step in to stop it or anything.

Most likely they'd be just as amused about the whole mess as everyone else is.

Edmonton, once again, would be so incredibly inept that they would warrant picking first overall. Changing up the system to prevent it wouldn't work. I can only assume that the Oilers' brass doesn't like having this stigma hanging over them.....that they aren't proud of the mediocrity they've accumulated in the past decade. You'd think they would be trying harder to prevent their team from continuing to be a running joke. We'll see how the next two months play out.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
I still think we make the playoffs and make some big waves but if not, after what we’ve been through with Chia, I think most fans in the league agree we deserve this pick more than anybody.

To watch us have our team gutted by an imbecile, the hockey gods must surely respond.
Edmonton DOES NOT deserve another high pick. No one wants to play and live in Edmonton , don’t ruin another good prospect please. If there truly are hockey gods then I can think of lots of other franchises that “deserve” that pick.
The old boys club hired Chia and will hire the next, you guys don’t deserve Jack.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If they pick Jach Hughes, they'll have 4 top6 centers (McDavid, RNH, Drai, Hughes) and no wingers. Will they trade the pick down? Pick Kakko? Anybody else?

1) They will pick Hughes and play him and Draisaitl on the wings.
2) HF will bitch and complain like nobodies business
3) The NHL will again unnecessarily restructure the percentages of the draft lottery, despite the Oilers winning the lottery against the odds by pure luck.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmonton DOES NOT deserve another high pick. No one wants to play and live in Edmonton , don’t ruin another good prospect please. If there truly are hockey gods then I can think of lots of other franchises that “deserve” that pick.
The old boys club hired Chia and will hire the next, you guys don’t deserve Jack.

The Oilers problem isn't "ruining" good prospects, its not being able to find anyone to play behind them. Yakupov was a bust, he wasn't going to make it anyway, that's apparent after watching him. He had the scoring touch, but not the vision needed to be a star at the NHL level. Pulujarvi is the lone top prospect that the Oilers are mishandling.

That was the biggest issue when we had Hall/Nuge/Eberle, and it's still the problem with McDavid/Draisaitl/Nuge.

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
Oilers only have 2 legit centers in McDavid and RNH...Drai is a winger now; Hughes would be a huge boost.

Drai is still a legit center though, the oilers just don't have any winger depth so they play him on the wing. Hughes won't fix the team just like McDavid or any other of the 1st overall forwards fixed the team. Their issues are deeper then that.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That's not how it works. You can't just assume Edmonton would have selected Barzal.
Yeah, it's been brought up several times already.

If not Barzal, we take Connor.
If not Connor, we take Chabot.

It was considered one of the deepest drafts in decades.
Either way, we end up with a high-impact player if we don't trade for Griffin f***ing Reinhart.

So remove Barzal from my writeup, and put in Kyle Connor on McDavids wing. WHAMO, Oilers are better.
Remove Barzal from my writeup and pencil in Thomas Chabot as a 4D. WHAMO - Oilers are better.

I fail to see what scenario you're trying to paint outside of the Oilers going way off the board with an obscure pick that the Oilers don't get immensely better by keeping that pick.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Just laugh really, already a decade of precedent they don't know what they're doing. Even after drafting 2 Hart trophy winners.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It would add another great young player, but really to build a good team you need to have good support players. The Oilers seem to be completely clueless in this area. The weird thing is before there was a salary cap, they were often recognized as one of the hardest working teams in the league, full of good depth players, character, heart, but lacked top end talent and skill. They at least looked like an organization that knew how to build a proper roster, they just lacked the financial means to do so. I am starting to miss those days.

No worries though, Bob "Corporate Stooge" Nicholson is doing another audit, I am sure that he will find the problem like he did last time.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
How long before the league steps in and stops this franchise from ruining so many promising players that could do wonders for marketing the league? McDavid is an amazing talent and yet why would NBCSN choose to show their games when the team sucks? They are not going to make the playoffs so they get no national exposure outside of Canada. It's a shame

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yeah, it's been brought up several times already.

If not Barzal, we take Connor.
If not Connor, we take Chabot.

It was considered one of the deepest drafts in decades.
Either way, we end up with a high-impact player if we don't trade for Griffin ****ing Reinhart.

So remove Barzal from my writeup, and put in Kyle Connor on McDavids wing. WHAMO, Oilers are better.
Remove Barzal from my writeup and pencil in Thomas Chabot as a 4D. WHAMO - Oilers are better.

I fail to see what scenario you're trying to paint outside of the Oilers going way off the board with an obscure pick that the Oilers don't get immensely better by keeping that pick.

Edmonton would have taken Joel Eriksson-Ek, not Barzal or Connor or Chabot or Boeser.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
How long before the league steps in and stops this franchise from ruining so many promising players that could do wonders for marketing the league? McDavid is an amazing talent and yet why would NBCSN choose to show their games when the team sucks? They are not going to make the playoffs so they get no national exposure outside of Canada. It's a shame

Unless Katz is found to have uttered a slur, commited rape or murder, or some other terrible crime, the league can't do a thing. NHL wouldn't bite one of the hands that feeds them. Furthermore, the Oilers are making money.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The rest of the NHL fans will whine about it.

Meanwhile, Edmonton fans will troll the hockey world, and if hockey history repeats itself once again, they will have egg on their face in the end.

I mean, we have seen this movie many times.

Reactions: kundahlini

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Oilers problem isn't "ruining" good prospects, its not being able to find anyone to play behind them. Yakupov was a bust, he wasn't going to make it anyway, that's apparent after watching him. He had the scoring touch, but not the vision needed to be a star at the NHL level. Pulujarvi is the lone top prospect that the Oilers are mishandling.

That was the biggest issue when we had Hall/Nuge/Eberle, and it's still the problem with McDavid/Draisaitl/Nuge.

Edmonton seems to have a horrible time drafting and developing past the 1st round. Most of the successful teams have a bunch of contributors on their team who were picked in rounds 2 and beyond. Meanwhile, Edmonton's only current good players are essentially guys they picked in the 1st round. And high in the first round, at that. I think Klefbom is their only worthwhile player who wasn't selected in the Top 10.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmonton seems to have a horrible time drafting and developing past the 1st round. Most of the successful teams have a bunch of contributors on their team who were picked in rounds 2 and beyond. Meanwhile, Edmonton's only current good players are essentially guys they picked in the 1st round. And high in the first round, at that. I think Klefbom is their only worthwhile player who wasn't selected in the Top 10.

I agree. And I think this is mostly a disagreement on the term "good prospects". The Oilers are worse than most at drafting outside of the 1st round, but outside of the 1st in general sees a lot of busts. I was more referring to people saying that we bust out our top prospects. Our top prospects have been Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yakupov, McDavid, and I guess you can consider Pulujarvi. One of those has busted, with Pulujarvi being maybe there too, but I don't know if any team could have developed Yakupov.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree. And I think this is mostly a disagreement on the term "good prospects". The Oilers are worse than most at drafting outside of the 1st round, but outside of the 1st in general sees a lot of busts. I was more referring to people saying that we bust out our top prospects. Our top prospects have been Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yakupov, McDavid, and I guess you can consider Pulujarvi. One of those has busted, with Pulujarvi being maybe there too, but I don't know if any team could have developed Yakupov.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't think the Oilers have actually done particularly bad at drafting in the first round. It's after the 1st round where they seem to have added like zero depth.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I remember back in 2010 when winning the draft lottery was fun. Now it's just embarrassing. 10 top 10 picks in the last 12 years and we're still garbage.

Fenrirson

Sep 17, 2018
Players are going to start tanking their draft year to avoid having to report to the Oilers and their garbage organization

Reactions: MasterDecoy

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Jesus... I just realized they could win another 1st overall!

SvZ9sGQ.gif

Reactions: King In The North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad