What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Right, so then why was he drafted 1oa? Why did he regress after his first season? The Oilers are hardly blameless
I mean the top 3 of that draft clearly show this isn't a Daigle / Pronger scenario... It was a shit draft at the top.

Burke got it right with what he said at the draft. Ferraro also got it right when he said Yak played like he was being chased by bees.

You don't have to tell me the Oilers have serious flaws.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Right, so then why was he drafted 1oa? Why did he regress after his first season? The Oilers are hardly blameless

He played the same in his first season but had a high shooting %. I think he scored 6 goals in the final 10 games or something.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
They will pick up a great young player and pray he is the savior while they continue to bomb on the second round and beyond.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Worst player development in the league by far of any team

JP shouldn’t even be in the NHL. They are ruining him like they’ve ruined so many before.

What a horrible franchise

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
They will pick up a great young player and pray he is the savior while they continue to bomb on the second round and beyond.

This hasn't been true for a few years now. See the prospects leading a 14 game win streak in the AHL. But of course... you didn't know that. You don't know anything about the Oilers. You're like so many here who regurgitate old garbage.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Worst player development in the league by far of any team

JP shouldn’t even be in the NHL. They are ruining him like they’ve ruined so many before.

What a horrible franchise

I blame Chiarelli 100% for this, and it simply starts with drafting him when they shouldn't have. They did their homework primarily on 2 players that year. Sergachev and Tkachuk. They were prepared to walk away with one of those guys. They took Puljujarvi because they didn't think he would be there (they didn't even have his name on a jersey).

This means they hadn't done their research on the player. They had no idea if he would be a fit, or where he was on his development path.

Then there was the Hall trade. Chiarelli wanted Puljujarvi to come in and start scoring right away in hopes that it would make people forget about Hall.

Edmonton needs to get it right with their next GM. This is still a very fixable situation with the right man in charge (the team, not puljujarvi)

Reactions: Porkleaker

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
This hasn't been true for a few years now. See the prospects leading a 14 game win streak in the AHL. But of course... you didn't know that. You don't know anything about the Oilers. You're like so many here who regurgitate old garbage.
Until those players are regulars on the team how can you say things have changed.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If the oilers get top pick, they take Hughes, no doubt. And it'd be the correct move. Centers can play wing, and "older" players like RNH can also be moved. Hell, Draisatl has very arguably been more effective as a winger anyway. You don't really have to make a decision on the 4 for at least 3 years

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Watching the Oilers last night I think McDavid has given up which for a player like him is crazy to think about. Just absolute lazy effort in his own zone and was responsible for two goals against last night. His post game interviews he looks like he is really miserable.

Him at the draft with his iconic reaction was really just a meme at one point. We all thought McDavid could save them. But even McDavid can't save them. Potentially the best player in the league since Greztky and the team is 3 points out of last place. I can't even believe it.

I really really hope no more elite talent goes there for a while. Let other teams have a chance to get franchise changing players. The Oilers have had their chance.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
I think they would finally make the playoffs. If not...

It makes it clear that what Edmonton needs is more money to fund a better development system. Clearly their current system is trash.

Actually whether they make the playoffs or not..Get some cash saved up and then fire everyone again and do a complete overhaul, new president, everything. Same as Toronto.

If that still doesn’t work, maybe it’s just the damn city! I mean, truth be told, it would really suck to have millions of dollars and have to spend so much time in Edmonton.

If the oilers get another first round pick... And don’t make the playoffs.. I say the ownership should just pack up the franchise and become the Houston Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad