What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

Mar 26, 2010
They won’t. They don’t deserve it either. Let another team who has never drafted #1 OA have it.

There should be a rule. Only allowed 1, first overall every 5 years.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I admire your optimism.

I however must disagree. Most fans do not care about Edmonton and on HF I'd say they are the 2nd most hated team because of insecure fans needing to tell everyone McD is better than your guy.

It is hard to want to see any young talent go there to be wasted.

This is rich

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This is rich

It's also true.

I still can't believe the NHL didn't add some draft rules, something like:

- if you drafted 1 thru 3 OA in the last 3 drafts, the highest you can draft is #5 for 3 years (or similar rule)

Other teams deserve the #1 more than the Oilers - and I hate saying that any team "deserves"anything over other teams, but this already is waaaay out of hand

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What they will do is packaging RNH and Bouchard to Vancouver for Quinn Hughes
Just so they can reunite the Hughes brothers and sell more "hopes"

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
They won’t. They don’t deserve it either. Let another team who has never drafted #1 OA have it.
Good point
You know which team that has never drafted 1OA before and currently has the brother of one of the draft eligible prospect in this upcoming draft?

Believe in miricle

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's also true.

I still can't believe the NHL didn't add some draft rules, something like:

- if you drafted 1 thru 3 OA in the last 3 drafts, the highest you can draft is #5 for 3 years (or similar rule)

Other teams deserve the #1 more than the Oilers - and I hate saying that any team "deserves"anything over other teams, but this already is waaaay out of hand

I still can't believe people think the draft needs to be "fixed".

-The rich part had nothing to do with the 1st overall. It was a Leaf fan's belief that the Oilers are the 2nd most hated fanbase because of "insecure fans needing to tell everyone McD is better than your guy". Doubt he's sitting in the countless - Matthew's compares favourably to McDavid, or Rielly hype threads, and calling out his own fanbase.

Funny, this anti-Oilers 1st overall nonsense is really the lesser of two evils...The league created the lottery in the 90's to limit tanking, and since then they've tinkered with it endlessly. If they just went back to - last place picks first - the Oilers would have less 1st overall's.

Oilers picks (10/11/12/15) + recent:
SeasonTeam RankPlayer
201030/30Hall
201130/30RNH
201229/30Yakupov
201329/30Mackinnon
201429/30Ekblad
201528/30McDavid
2016 29/30 Matthews
2017 28/30 Hischier
2018 31/31 Dahlin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
League went through a period of six years where the worst team in the league did not get the first overall pick, and the 2nd worst team in the league has gotten the rights to first overall 4/9 (44.444%) times, the most of any lottery position over that time period. The Oilers would have 2 less first overall picks by the old standard, and ironically might have helped us avoid the Yakupov bust. In 1995 the league puts a mechanism in place to ward of "tanking", and a bunch of people here think it still needs to be fixed. If they can't get it right by 2019 (24 years later), then maybe it's time to just straight up abolish the draft and go back to 'reverse regular season standings'.

On the bright side, that 28/30 for McDavid still brings a smile to my face, Buffalo was legit tanking that year so I'm glad they lost out on it. Buffalo who, by the way, has probably been screwed the most of any team in draft lotteries.

HF will just have to collectively take a step back, wait for the Oilers to keep sucking and finish 31st or 32nd, then watch the draft lotteries eventually balance out...Or we keep winning and everyone keeps whining.

Reactions: Erndog

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Why?

What if your 1 is Yakupov. Can't expect to improve.

There's a lottery. It's fine as is. If they finish 10th last and win the lottery with 2% odds then so be it.

Burned

Nov 5, 2016
They will get to hang another banner, "most number of 1st overalls"... they need something to celebrate up there

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
At what point would they get relegated to the AHL?

If they win the draft and ruin another elite young player I think that conversation needs to happen.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I still think we make the playoffs and make some big waves but if not, after what we’ve been through with Chia, I think most fans in the league agree we deserve this pick more than anybody.

To watch us have our team gutted by an imbecile, the hockey gods must surely respond.
Uh no. You mismanaged resources. You deserve nothing. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if McStuckinEdmonton demands a trade out of there.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like to think the pick would be for sale for an impact defenseman, but if we don't get a great one we'd be okay with taking the best player.

And of course there would be no fan fantasy where the league would step in and stop the Oilers from getting the pick. Also, there would be no Lindros situation where the player doesn't want to join the team. Just another Oiler-hater fantasy

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I would rather see Edmonton or any team for that matter win the lottery than Ottawa have 1st overall, the would be terrible for Ottawa fans seeing it go to Colorado and then watching Duchene, Dzingel, Stone sign somewhere else.

Is Ottawa the most mismanaged team ever?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Why?

What if your 1 is Yakupov. Can't expect to improve.

There's a lottery. It's fine as is. If they finish 10th last and win the lottery with 2% odds then so be it.
I am convinced Yakupov wouldn't have busted so hard had he been drafted by another organization

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad