What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Trade down to #2 with getting a winger or another 1st in the trade & draft Kakko.
Other reason for doing this is a winger like Kakko from Finland will be easier to sign beyond his entry level contract than a NA player like Hughes.

So say the draft order goes like this:
1. Edmonton
2. Anaheim (who also has a mid 1st from potential Silfverberg trade to Buffalo for STL's #16 1st)

They swap picks with Edmonton getting #2 & #16
At #16 Edmonton takes either a winger like Kaliyev/Pelletier or they take the top goalie prospect Spencer Knight to develop while Koskinen holds down the fort at Goalie for a few years more.

Future Top 6 for Edmonton:
Chiasson/McDavid/Kakko
Kaliyev/Nuge/Draisaitl

Reactions: ThomasG

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
More endless conspiracy theories from people who are so sure that the NHL is willing to rig the draft (and competent enough to get away with it, despite frequently being accused of being utterly incompetent at everything else) but also not willing to rig it in favour of either struggling markets or big market teams even though that would benefit the league far more.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm fairly sure Kakko's long-term goal is to become a center. From the past last games in TPS he has only once played in the wing and that was in the last game when he returned from an injury, so they were most likely trying to save him from any extra commitments. I mean why else would he all of the sudden start playing in the middle in a team that has league's two top 5 centers already? How crazy would that C depth be in the Oilers with McDavid, Kakko, Draisaitl and RNH. Just nuts. :D

Of course not all can play in the middle if you want to allocate ice time accordingly but nonetheless. Should Oilers get the first overall yet again, it wouldn't even surprise me to the slightest if they went with Kakko. As far as 2019 in concerned, If he wasn't 1st OA material before the WJC he sure as hell looked like one right after.

#CFWK ! (Cannot-Fail-With-Kakko, could come up with new one each day until the draft day, ha)

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I think you will see the player refuse to go there this time around.

Be it Hughes or Kakko, they decide they don't want to be associated with such an embarrassing franchise and will put their developments first.

Enough is enough. The Oilers have proven they have no clue how to develop talent, I'm sure it's trickled down to the players at this point.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I still think we make the playoffs and make some big waves but if not, after what we’ve been through with Chia, I think most fans in the league agree we deserve this pick more than anybody.

To watch us have our team gutted by an imbecile, the hockey gods must surely respond.

Reactions: B33K33PING

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I already think the lottery is a farce. You play 82 games just so a couple plastic balls determine where you ACTUALLY finish. And of course if Edmonton channels more of their Cleveland Cavaliers level of lottery luck it'll be just all the more proof that it needs to be done away with. The Alexander Daigle crap happened almost 30 years ago. It's time to move on.

For God's sake with the new expansion rules Seattle is probably going to leap frog a team like Vancouver or Arizona and be better because they can't catch a break with the Almighty ping pong balls after all these years. If Edmonton wins AGAIN it's all the proof we need that dumb f***ing luck should not determine anything and it needs to be what happens on the ice.

If they'd stop winning the 1st pick the OBC might have to get off their butts for once and get some work done finding players who are going to work out beyond the #1 choice

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
It will be glorious...we will have a parade with the Gretzky's tossing candy to all the little children...there will be clowns, sooooo many clowns...OBC in the house!!! As the confetti falls from the heavens, our new GM will convince the masses that Hughes is a generational talent, the second coming of Christ...our second savior. Bobby Nick's will proclaim that the internal audit is complete. He will gather all us sheep, we will drink cool-aid together as he shares his secret recipe for success: "We must draft & develop our own"..."this is not rebuild 7.0, simply a retool" *cough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->