What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Draft Hughes, trade Nuge.

Trade him for picks/prospects. I know it sounds wrong, but if the Oilers honestly win the #1 pick, they need to rethink things.

The goal should be to build a team in 2 to 3 years with Hughes, McDavid, Drai, Nurse and Bouchard as the main pieces.

RNH has had his time in EDM. I personally never liked his game all that much, but my own bias aside, trading him now, for some decent future pieces would really help fill in the wingers and depth D around McDavid and Hughes

Reactions: biturbo19

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Going against the grain here but I think if EDM win the lottery they work out a trade for a legit #1 NHL Dman. The top 5 picks this year are all forwards. The Oilers need a legit stud on the back end. They need to start focusing on the now with McDavid entering his prime years. Drafting a top forward prospect does nothing for that.

Obviously none of us knows what will happen and they still need to win the lottery but if they did I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them pull off a monster trade for a legit #1 Dman.

Reactions: fishcolator

McBackup

Jan 15, 2019
East Van and Damned
Going against the grain here but I think if EDM win the lottery they work out a trade for a legit #1 NHL Dman. The top 5 picks this year are all forwards. The Oilers need a legit stud on the back end. They need to start focusing on the now with McDavid entering his prime years. Drafting a top forward prospect does nothing for that.

Obviously none of us knows what will happen and they still need to win the lottery but if they did I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them pull off a monster trade for a legit #1 Dman.

Hmm, Edmonton trading a first overall for a "legit #1 NHL Dman" sounds eerily familiar.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Watching the Oilers last night I think McDavid has given up which for a player like him is crazy to think about. Just absolute lazy effort in his own zone and was responsible for two goals against last night. His post game interviews he looks like he is really miserable.

Him at the draft with his iconic reaction was really just a meme at one point. We all thought McDavid could save them. But even McDavid can't save them. Potentially the best player in the league since Greztky and the team is 3 points out of last place. I can't even believe it.

I really really hope no more elite talent goes there for a while. Let other teams have a chance to get franchise changing players. The Oilers have had their chance.

I think you’re forgetting about Super Mario who was every bit as good as Wayne

McDavid is certainly NOT at Mario’s level of greatness

Reactions: fishcolator

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
They shouldn't be allowed to. The NHL does its best to create a system for tearing down juggernaut teams, ensuring parity. Yet they do nothing when teams like the Oilers continue to draft in the top 5, with 4 #1 overall picks. It was already a historic bounty of prospects before McDavid. If they get another 1st overall it will be the biggest draft pick haul in NA sports history. I can't think of anything close. The Cavs getting Lebron and then 3 more 1sts after he left to Miami is kinda close, but not really when you factor in the Oilers other high picks. Pujlu, Drai, Nurse and a slew of other guys picked from 3-8. It's insane. It's Cleveland Browns bad.

I feel bad for the Oilers fans because they're a rock solid fan base. I feel bad for McDavid too. That said, it shouldn't happen. Their fans basically expect a lottery win every season when they start to tumble in the standings. It's become a ritual for them. what they need is a new owner and to ditch the old boys club. I would be happy to see them as a good team, but when they just keep picking 1st it makes you root against them.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They shouldn't be allowed to. The NHL does its best to create a system for tearing down juggernaut teams, ensuring parity. Yet they do nothing when teams like the Oilers continue to draft in the top 5, with 4 #1 overall picks. It was already a historic bounty of prospects before McDavid. If they get another 1st overall it will be the biggest draft pick haul in NA sports history. I can't think of anything close. The Cavs getting Lebron and then 3 more 1sts after he left to Miami is kinda close, but not really when you factor in the Oilers other high picks. Pujlu, Drai, Nurse and a slew of other guys picked from 3-8. It's insane. It's Cleveland Browns bad.

I feel bad for the Oilers fans because they're a rock solid fan base. I feel bad for McDavid too. That said, it shouldn't happen. Their fans basically expect a lottery win every season when they start to tumble in the standings. It's become a ritual for them. what they need is a new owner and to ditch the old boys club. I would be happy to see them as a good team, but when they just keep picking 1st it makes you root against them.

I mean, the draft and potentially winning those 1st overall picks via the lottery is supposed to be the mechanic that keeps teams from getting stuck in the cellar. Give priority in the draft to the teams that are the worst and theoretically need the help most. Unfortunately for Edmonton fans, the Oilers haven't been able to actually turn it into anything.

At the end of the day, i think having to ice a team that seems perpetually stuck in the gutters is punishment enough. Should be disincentive enough to keep them from trying to find themselves right back at the top of the draft.

Plus, for what little good all the top picks have done them, it's not like they're really "benefiting" from the system immensely and unfairly or anything.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
RNH and Drai are fine wingers, np there
pretty much this, San Jose has converted wingers who were centermen up until the draft, it's actually a good problem to have and not really a problem.

My guess is that they pick Kakko if they get the first pick but it's just a hunch on my part as he might be a better fit and the overall difference between him and hughes isn't very big at all..

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Would they possibly trade down and get the best dman?
that's also possible and Bowen Byram has seen his stock rise quite a bit this year for a draft year player who was already top 10ish coming into the season.

It would hardly be a reach but I doubt he would be NHL ready next season.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2019-2-16_22-5-41.png

Gulp.

Tankathon | 2019 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad