What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
The world as we know it will end, the universe will crush itself and start again.

Or certain fans of other teams with cry salty tears.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I do wonder what a competent GM could get for the #1 overall pick in trade. The Oilers could really use some roster upgrades with players that coincide more with McDavid's peak years. Maybe they could do that with moving that pick? I don't know. I have to admit, I do kind of expect them to win the draft lottery again.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I do wonder what a competent GM could get for the #1 overall pick in trade. The Oilers could really use some roster upgrades with players that coincide more with McDavid's peak years. Maybe they could do that with moving that pick? I don't know. I have to admit, I do kind of expect them to win the draft lottery again.

If they get Steve Yzerman in there...100% confidence...make the pick and turn the page...let him flush the crap out ..build the power house..the foundation is there...they need the right man to put the roof on it and landscape..

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
It was a bad time in the market and we had Special Pete in charge, Nuge definitely fetches a top line D man right now.
Doubtful. Teams aren't lining up to deal those kind of dmen, especially young ones that Oilers would want. Only way they typically get traded is for another dmen. Especially not for a forward who has never hit 60 points in a season.

Last edited:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
The problem isnt the 1st overall picks.

The problem is the management group think tank.

It's mostly old Oilers: Lowe, McTavish, Gretzky, Messier, Buchburger with guys like Howson and Keith Gretzky.

If this group did NOTHING since Tambellini, our roster would be:

Top 6:
RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hall - Barzal - Eberle

Top 4 Dmen:
Klefbom - Petry
Nurse - Schultz

We might be neck and neck with Toronto in our rebuild. But the group got way too "clever" and just lost trade after trade, and botched negotiation after negotiation.

The problem isn't the players. The problem is clearly the management.
Wrong. Oilers never drafted Barzal, and weren't going to draft him. They have said as much. I wish Oiler fans would finally realize this and stop using Barzal to fill their narrative.

Reactions: Coffey

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Wrong. Oilers never drafted Barzal, and weren't going to draft him. They have said as much. I wish Oiler fans would finally realize this and stop using Barzal to fill their narrative.
Nah, every fan from every team in the world knows we would have drafted Barzal.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The fact that they're still in the conversation for 1st overall kind of makes me nauseous.

How? Just how?

Reactions: bl02

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They will get the 2nd overall, pass on Kakko because they're scared to draft another Finn with their top 5 pick, so they end up drafting a random winger everyone thought would go later in the 1st round and that player will bust.
Outside of German, they seem to mess up whatever nationality they draft with a top 10 pick. They've done alright with Canadiens (RNH hasn't lived up to potential, neither did Gagner). But, Russians (Yak) and Swedes (Paajarvi), so I don't know why they'd hold it against Finland. Maybe they draft Moritz Seider because they haven't messed up a German.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
He was good at first and then dropped off significantly before they eventually traded him and his career took off. His first two years in Edmonton he was good though.

You mean besides the 2 PPG season he also had here?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nah, every fan from every team in the world knows we would have drafted Barzal.
It's believed they would have taken Eriksen-Ek. Although considering who was still on the board, that might be a further indictment on there scouting staff considering Barzal, Connor, Chabot, and Boeser were on the board. They decided Griffen Reinhart or Joel Erikson-Ek were the better options. Now, teams are going to mess-up a pick every so often, but the Oilers give you no reason to believe it was a one-off mistake.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Outside of German, they seem to mess up whatever nationality they draft with a top 10 pick. They've done alright with Canadiens (RNH hasn't lived up to potential, neither did Gagner). But, Russians (Yak) and Swedes (Paajarvi), so I don't know why they'd hold it against Finland. Maybe they draft Moritz Seider because they haven't messed up a German.

Puljujarvi :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad