What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I think you will see the player refuse to go there this time around.

Be it Hughes or Kakko, they decide they don't want to be associated with such an embarrassing franchise and will put their developments first.

Enough is enough. The Oilers have proven they have no clue how to develop talent, I'm sure it's trickled down to the players at this point.

I would love Oilers to get FOA just to see a player do this. That would be amazing.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
The problem isnt the 1st overall picks.

The problem is the management group think tank.

It's mostly old Oilers: Lowe, McTavish, Gretzky, Messier, Buchburger with guys like Howson and Keith Gretzky.

If this group did NOTHING since Tambellini, our roster would be:

Top 6:
RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hall - Barzal - Eberle

Top 4 Dmen:
Klefbom - Petry
Nurse - Schultz

We might be neck and neck with Toronto in our rebuild. But the group got way too "clever" and just lost trade after trade, and botched negotiation after negotiation.

The problem isn't the players. The problem is clearly the management.
And the previous GM would have passed out $42/7 contracts to everyone plus $12+ to Mcdavid and they would be in a cap hell and still making bad trades. Dont change Edmonton

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
they'll finally be ahead of pittsburgh in racking up consecutive picks

Pittsburgh: 5, 1, 2, 1, 2
Pretty sure they’ve already easily passed the Pens.
1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 4, 7

As for what happens, the boards will crash, the league offices will be blitzed by angry GMs who will feel cheated that the Oilers hoard 1st overall picks while other franchises stall because they don’t have a franchise player. I could see an “Oiler Rule” being created so that a team can’t win consecutive lotteries or can only win a certain number in a given timeframe.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I still think we make the playoffs and make some big waves but if not, after what we’ve been through with Chia, I think most fans in the league agree we deserve this pick more than anybody.

To watch us have our team gutted by an imbecile, the hockey gods must surely respond.

No Edmonton doesn't really deserve the pick, the Oilers would have utterly failed to it again.

I would hope that Bettman takes Edmonton's balls out of the machine and kicks them out the window while yelling "Nope"

Any giving of a number 1 pick should be conditional on the termination of the OBC and a trade of McDavid.

I'm joking on the last part.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Step 1: Draft Hughes
Step 2: Realize Hughes, though one of the topn2 available, was overhyped by the media.
Step 3: panic when Hughes doesn't get more than 50pts in year 2
Step 4: Get mocked ruthlessly as Kaapo becomes a legit top line player ala Nico while Hughes is stuck as a Nolan

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I still think we make the playoffs and make some big waves but if not, after what we’ve been through with Chia, I think most fans in the league agree we deserve this pick more than anybody.

To watch us have our team gutted by an imbecile, the hockey gods must surely respond.
I admire your optimism.

I however must disagree. Most fans do not care about Edmonton and on HF I'd say they are the 2nd most hated team because of insecure fans needing to tell everyone McD is better than your guy.

It is hard to want to see any young talent go there to be wasted.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I admire your optimism.

I however must disagree. Most fans do not care about Edmonton and on HF I'd say they are the 2nd most hated team because of insecure fans needing to tell everyone McD is better than your guy.

It is hard to want to see any young talent go there to be wasted.

I'd say that they aren't even top 3 most hated.

Toronto, Habs top 2.

Penguins, Caps, Hawks and Wings clearly ahead of them

They are in 'underrated'/'advanced stats' Canes territory nowadays

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012

The people of Edmonton don’t deserve anything. Maybe this feeling sorry for yourselves is what got you guys here in the first place? The Oilers and the people of Edmonton have got 4 FIRST OVERALL PICKS THAT THEY CELEBRATED AT DRAFT LOTTERY PARTIES!! And multiple other high picks that they have ruined. Do you think any other top prospect will ever want to go work in Edmonton again? Not only is it the worst run franchise but it’s not exactly the most desirable place to live.

If you think other fanbases feel sorry for you like you guys feel sorry for yourselves, you’re sadly mistaken

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
If Edmonton wins another 1st overall, they will probably be the first team to pick a player in the 2019-2020 draft.

Though, they should probably just trade the pick to the highest bidder who will give up a natural winger.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd say that they aren't even top 3 most hated.

Toronto, Habs top 2.

Penguins, Caps, Hawks and Wings clearly ahead of them

They are in 'underrated'/'advanced stats' Canes territory nowadays

I see no evidence to suggest anyone on HF especially hates the teams you mentioned. Yes Toronto is #1, no debate.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Nothing would happen. Sure there would be complaints but there are complaints(just not as many) no matter which team wins it.
Reality is, the list of teams more in need of a high end talent is a short one anyway. Besides, they'd never trade him and who doesn't want to see McDavid in a better situation or at least a situation with more hope of becoming a better one.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
As lucky as Edmonton has been in getting first overall picks, I doubt it will happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad