What will happen, if Edmonton wins another 1st overall?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Realistically speaking, IF the Oilers did get yet another #1 pick (which is extremely unlikely, but we can't rule it out), I think the new/interim/whatever-it-is management might trade that pick (Hughes, probably) to another team in order to get two or three ready-to-play NHL players.

Ideally, they would acquire two top-six wingers and a steady defenceman. Even more ideally, they would get rid of Lucic in this same transaction.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I still think we make the playoffs and make some big waves but if not, after what we’ve been through with Chia, I think most fans in the league agree we deserve this pick more than anybody.

To watch us have our team gutted by an imbecile, the hockey gods must surely respond.
legendary post.

No, I can assure you that there is unlikely a fan in the entire league outside of Edmonton that believes they deserve another #1 pick. If they get one, I am positive that all of us will be confident of that player failing to develop properly. Evidence of this can even be found in the best player drafted in the last decade, who no longer plays anything resembling defense.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Honestly nothing. Oilers have the best player in the world and another top 20 player in the league and are still trash.

They don't need more draft picks they need better players to surround those draft picks with.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
We will all point and laugh. At this point you can't even get mad about it. Its just funny.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That's why it'd be silly to pick Kakko.

Never mind the players... not picking someone because they’re a winger is godawful stupid... imagine if Chicago and Washington followed a rule like that, they’d be cup less.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
People like to trash the Pens, Caps, Kings and Hawks for "tanking" but for every successful rebuild there is an unsuccessful one (Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina, Phoenix)

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If they win again they have no bragging rights when it they end up good
I mean it'a already have been taken away from them considering all the 1oa snd top 5 picks
And all the tanking

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Ideally, they would acquire two top-six wingers and a steady defenceman. Even more ideally, they would get rid of Lucic in this same transaction.

Can you give me a realistic example of what a deal like this may look like?

I can't fathom it happening, either from the Oilers perspective or from the other teams (i.e. 2 top 6 wingers and a 'steady' - so likely top 4- dman.... and potentially taking on Lucic's contract).

I just don't think such a deal exists.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
They won't win it, but if they do, I will LOVE IT.

It would be great to read all of the salty and crying posts here.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
No Edmonton doesn't really deserve the pick, the Oilers would have utterly failed to it again.

I would hope that Bettman takes Edmonton's balls out of the machine and kicks them out the window while yelling "Nope"

Any giving of a number 1 pick should be conditional on the termination of the OBC and a trade of McDavid.

I'm joking on the last part.

Why would we trade McDavid if we get Hughes, Nuge would probably be traded for a number 1 D.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Time for another Oilers rule? lol
Didnt they already modify the draft due to Oilers?

Geez , for the Oiler fans i genuinely feel bad for .....

The rule IF they win again?...should be a new penalty for winning the first overall too many times starting 2019-2020...actually make it hurt...1. take away their first round picks for 3 years etc....put something in place to make the management feel the pain.....that would be in place for all teams

Like get your house in order ,it never should have got this far out of hand .. With all the gifts they got,total incompetence by management....

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The need to start hitting in the later rounds,to produce the cheap young support to put around those top end picks

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If i was an Oiler fan , i would 100% would want Eugene Melnyk as owner of the team.....yeah seriously....If he sells Ott soon, i would beg him to buy the Oilers. Look at Ottawa ,every year since 2006..they still had successes..never got a basket of 1st overall /top picks either like Oilers,....If he had the Edmonton market money to play with , he would have the Oilers chasing the cup...not the painful joke we all have witnessed in Edmonton.

Last edited:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I still think we make the playoffs and make some big waves but if not, after what we’ve been through with Chia, I think most fans in the league agree we deserve this pick more than anybody.

To watch us have our team gutted by an imbecile, the hockey gods must surely respond.
f***ing pity party. That's the reason you guys shouldn't be allowed to have nice things. Not a single fan in the league believes Edmonton deserves the 1oa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad