What UFA should we really go after?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I know I said I was hesitant on Duchene, but after that series, I'd be happy with Holland trying to sign him for <9.5 Mil/6 years.

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Athansiou-Duchene-Zadina
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Hirose
Abdelkader-Glendenning-Helm

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I figured you would take quality points as rambling. Here are your words:

You are suggesting signing Erik Karlsson and other free agents is a good idea, you are also suggesting it will shave time off our rebuild.

I am suggesting signing Erik Karlsson and other free agents is not a good idea at this stage (this stage means the window you are clearly referring to) and I'm arguing that it will not shave time off our rebuild and will likely prolong it. To furthermore I also bring up the fact that the Red Wings cannot sign Erik Karlsson. Erik Karlsson will not sign with a team who finished 4th from last. That is why its not "possible."

Pretty simple to understand..... For most people anyway. Do you still need my assistance or do you got it from here bud? I would have to say my responses here are very direct and on point.

Now just stop embarrassing yourself. There is playoff hockey on right now.

Haha that’s why a majority of people are agreeing with you right? Oh wait, no, that was my post that was getting all the support, my bad. And for the record, I don’t need help remembering my words, they were pretty calculated and well thought out, unlike you heading down this path thinking you’re somehow justified in your belief being the absolute truth.

It doesn’t prolong the rebuild in any way shape or form to sign Karlsson. To even think that makes sense is might blowing. If you think that Karlsson isn’t enough by himself to end the rebuild, I agree with you. But adding him in addition to new draft picks and potential trades and other potential signings does shorten the rebuild.

The way it stands is the Wings can offer a max contract, and whether or not it’s “smart” is out the window. They have a puncher’s chance. They also have a long history of being home to a lot of Swedish NHL players, players Karlsson looked up to players Karlsson considers to be friends. So no, it isn’t guaranteed that he wouldn’t sign here, and therefore the entire premise is possible. So attacking my point with that level of absolute has already proven you to be wrong.

All a rebuild truly consists of is maximizing your asset pool with young, controllable talent and transition into a competitive. If all you do for the better part of a decade is acquire more and more young talent, but never put the talent in position to actually win anything, you’ve never rebuilt, all you’ve done is become a terrible organization that doesn’t win. With young talent. Congrats, you’ve become the Edmonton Oilers. Now your players formerly in the “young talent” category like Taylor Hall and Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are approaching their peak or beyond it, and are either super expensive or have moved to another organization.

If you are prepared to say that Larkin and Mantha and Athanasiou and Bertuzzi aren’t good enough to try to win with (consider the young players you’ve drafted the past two/three years and will draft this year), then sure, Karlsson isn’t worth signing. But if you’re saying this core isn’t enough to win with, then you better start trading them all this year, because they won’t be here when you finally start winning. You suggested that we need another 2-3+ years of drafting to be close. That player you draft 3 years from now, he’s at least a year, probably 2 away from his draft year from being an impact player. That’s 5 f***ing years. Larkin already has a new contract and is like 28 going on 29. AA is into his 30s. Mantha and Bert are headed into their 30s. You probably don’t even have half of them because they got sick and f***ing tired of playing for an organization that didn’t give a damn to try building a contender.

Reactions: lomekian

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think there is necessarily a "right" way for every team. And the number of teams who have established stable, competitive teams without numerous top5 picks is a pretty good list. There is a reason professional GMs do team "building" and the rest of us play fantasy hockey and do team "drafting."

I know I said I was hesitant on Duchene, but after that series, I'd be happy with Holland trying to sign him for <9.5 Mil/6 years.

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Athnasiou-Duchene-Zadina
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Hirose

Duchene looks really good when he is on, and I know I've brought him up as a possible signing elsewhere. but he also scares the bejeezus out of me as a guy who could just as easily put up 60 points a year and look pretty mediocre doing it. Wouldn't roast Holland for the move, though.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think there is necessarily a "right" way for every team. And the number of teams who have established stable, competitive teams without numerous top5 picks is a pretty good list. There is a reason professional GMs do team "building" and the rest of us play fantasy hockey and do team "drafting."

Duchene looks really good when he is on, and I know I've brought him up as a possible signing elsewhere. but he also scares the bejeezus out of me as a guy who could just as easily put up 60 points a year and look pretty mediocre doing it. Wouldn't roast Holland for the move, though.

This is pretty much my view as well

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've been clamoring for Duchene in numerous threads throughout the year, with Hayes as a backup plan. Also mentioned Eberle, or possibly Nyquist @ 3-4 x $4.75Max (that was before we got Hirose). Glad some of my picks are doing well. Anyone know how Hayes has looked in WPG? (eyeball test)...

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Haha that’s why a majority of people are agreeing with you right? Oh wait, no, that was my post that was getting all the support, my bad. And for the record, I don’t need help remembering my words, they were pretty calculated and well thought out, unlike you heading down this path thinking you’re somehow justified in your belief being the absolute truth.

It doesn’t prolong the rebuild in any way shape or form to sign Karlsson. To even think that makes sense is might blowing. If you think that Karlsson isn’t enough by himself to end the rebuild, I agree with you. But adding him in addition to new draft picks and potential trades and other potential signings does shorten the rebuild.

The way it stands is the Wings can offer a max contract, and whether or not it’s “smart” is out the window. They have a puncher’s chance. They also have a long history of being home to a lot of Swedish NHL players, players Karlsson looked up to players Karlsson considers to be friends. So no, it isn’t guaranteed that he wouldn’t sign here, and therefore the entire premise is possible. So attacking my point with that level of absolute has already proven you to be wrong.

All a rebuild truly consists of is maximizing your asset pool with young, controllable talent and transition into a competitive. If all you do for the better part of a decade is acquire more and more young talent, but never put the talent in position to actually win anything, you’ve never rebuilt, all you’ve done is become a terrible organization that doesn’t win. With young talent. Congrats, you’ve become the Edmonton Oilers. Now your players formerly in the “young talent” category like Taylor Hall and Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are approaching their peak or beyond it, and are either super expensive or have moved to another organization.

If you are prepared to say that Larkin and Mantha and Athanasiou and Bertuzzi aren’t good enough to try to win with (consider the young players you’ve drafted the past two/three years and will draft this year), then sure, Karlsson isn’t worth signing. But if you’re saying this core isn’t enough to win with, then you better start trading them all this year, because they won’t be here when you finally start winning. You suggested that we need another 2-3+ years of drafting to be close. That player you draft 3 years from now, he’s at least a year, probably 2 away from his draft year from being an impact player. That’s 5 ****ing years. Larkin already has a new contract and is like 28 going on 29. AA is into his 30s. Mantha and Bert are headed into their 30s. You probably don’t even have half of them because they got sick and ****ing tired of playing for an organization that didn’t give a damn to try building a contender.

All the support? The knowledgeable fans liked mine, the casuals liked yours. Knowledgeable people are always the minority in anything in this world. Not that many people actually involve themselves into great depth about anything, let alone hockey. I get it, your a Red Wings fan and you like watching your team. Thats great, I don't have any issues with that part.

-There is currently nothing in Detroit to attract Swedish players. We had Swedish players whom we drafted that I guess you could argue at the time made it attractive to other Swedish players. But what Swedish free agents did we attract besides Alfie at roughly 40ish years old? Can you name one high impact Swede UFA besides him that came to Detroit?

-Yes teams like Edmonton failed miserable completing their rebuilds. Edmonton made bad trades and didn't bring in the supporting cast to support their stars. They also failed to draft and develop these things we call D and goaltenders. Edmonton did a horrible job at every level. Rebuilding does fail, especially when you do a bad job at it. Rebuilding is also the most proven way to build a Stanley Cup winning team. Look at all the winning teams post cap and tell me what you find. Nobody here is claiming 100% perfect track records of success.

Yes I understand how long it takes to develop players. For 10+ years I've heavily followed prospects and rebuilding teams, I watch so many games per year of so many different teams its sickening how much hockey I find ways to cram into my schedule, watching replays etc. I heavily follow prospects predraft well into there mid 20s monitoring progression and trying to understand reasons for failure. I compete in full cap Dynasty leagues and just won back-to-back championships in a 48 team league. I have won so many championships I can't even count anymore. I watch specific NHL teams and 100% focus on following a few players on a shift-t0-shift basis. So save your breathe on explaining to me how this development time works.

I hate to try to list reasons why I am more knowledgeable than someone on this stuff. But the amount of people around here that clearly do not put any work towards understanding these things but yet argue relentlessly with people who actually do is sickening. You got guys on here arguing to death about prospects in the draft who they literally don't even understand what style of game that player plays, people who never actually watched the player in their lives outside of a 6 minute highlight video. It is completely ok for these people to do just that and even comment and share their opinions. But people like this will sit here and quote the shit out of someone and argue for days. It is insane. These people are getting out of control and it has pushed a lot of very knowledgeable members away from this place the last couple years.

Ok, im done with this convo now. You win, as you can obviously see I'm getting very annoyed and frustrated. Good job with that.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
All the support? The knowledgeable fans liked mine, the casuals liked yours. Knowledgeable people are always the minority in anything in this world. Not that many people actually involve themselves into great depth about anything, let alone hockey. I get it, your a Red Wings fan and you like watching your team. Thats great, I don't have any issues with that part.

-There is currently nothing in Detroit to attract Swedish players. We had Swedish players whom we drafted that I guess you could argue at the time made it attractive to other Swedish players. But what Swedish free agents did we attract besides Alfie at roughly 40ish years old? Can you name one high impact Swede UFA besides him that came to Detroit?

-Yes teams like Edmonton failed miserable completing their rebuilds. Edmonton made bad trades and didn't bring in the supporting cast to support their stars. They also failed to draft and develop these things we call D and goaltenders. Edmonton did a horrible job at every level. Rebuilding does fail, especially when you do a bad job at it. Rebuilding is also the most proven way to build a Stanley Cup winning team. Look at all the winning teams post cap and tell me what you find. Nobody here is claiming 100% perfect track records of success.

Yes I understand how long it takes to develop players. For 10+ years I've heavily followed prospects and rebuilding teams, I watch so many games per year of so many different teams its sickening how much hockey I find ways to cram into my schedule, watching replays etc. I heavily follow prospects predraft well into there mid 20s monitoring progression and trying to understand reasons for failure. I compete in full cap Dynasty leagues and just won back-to-back championships in a 48 team league. I have won so many championships I can't even count anymore. I watch specific NHL teams and 100% focus on following a few players on a shift-t0-shift basis. So save your breathe on explaining to me how this development time works.

I hate to try to list reasons why I am more knowledgeable than someone on this stuff. But the amount of people around here that clearly do not put any work towards understanding these things but yet argue relentlessly with people who actually do is sickening. You got guys on here arguing to death about prospects in the draft who they literally don't even understand what style of game that player plays, people who never actually watched the player in their lives outside of a 6 minute highlight video. It is completely ok for these people to do just that and even comment and share their opinions. But people like this will sit here and quote the **** out of someone and argue for days. It is insane. These people are getting out of control and it has pushed a lot of very knowledgeable members away from this place the last couple years.

Ok, im done with this convo now. You win, as you can obviously see I'm getting very annoyed and frustrated. Good job with that.

You’re welcome. Don’t get so pissy over a different opinion and start hurling insults, and I won’t drag things down into the mud. You’re responsible for your own frustration.

FYI: people who constantly have to tell others how smart they are, are usually not the smartest person in the room. Just some advice for you as you navigate life.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

WOW, do we come off high and mighty here, ya?

Reactions: NickH8

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I've been clamoring for Duchene in numerous threads throughout the year, with Hayes as a backup plan. Also mentioned Eberle, or possibly Nyquist @ 3-4 x $4.75Max (that was before we got Hirose). Glad some of my picks are doing well. Anyone know how Hayes has looked in WPG? (eyeball test)...

It's hard to give Hayes a grade because Paul Maurice is giving him the Legwand treatment. The first 3 games he has gotten less than 10 minutes per game on average and his line with Perreault and Roslovic have been benched for long stretches later in games. Perreault took some dumb penalties last night and may have sunk that line deeper into the dog house.
I think Hayes has looked ok when he is out there and he did score a nice goal in game 2 (the only game of the series I was unable to watch), but he's just not getting used enough to bring his A game I feel. He's looked good on the PK - seems to be the one place where Maurice is not shy about using him.
I think it's a shame, I am big time on the Jets bandwagon this year and it's frustrating seeing a player I believe could help them, not getting the chance.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I figured you would take quality points as rambling. Here are your words:

You are suggesting signing Erik Karlsson and other free agents is a good idea, you are also suggesting it will shave time off our rebuild.

I am suggesting signing Erik Karlsson and other free agents is not a good idea at this stage (this stage means the window you are clearly referring to) and I'm arguing that it will not shave time off our rebuild and will likely prolong it. Furthermore I also bring up the fact that the Red Wings cannot sign Erik Karlsson. Erik Karlsson will not sign with a team who finished 4th from last. That is why its not "possible."

Pretty simple to understand..... For most people anyway. Do you still need my assistance or do you got it from here bud? I would have to say my responses here are very direct and on point.

Now just stop embarrassing yourself. There is playoff hockey on right now.

Who are you to say that Karlsson won't sign with Detroit? Do you know him personally? Has he said it publicly? You have no idea what Erik Karlsson will or won't do

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Athansiou-Duchene-Zadina
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Hirose
Panarin probably move somewhere else and Jackets will try to keep Duchenne

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Panarin probably move somewhere else and Jackets will try to keep Duchenne

This is the same as I see it right now. I feel like Panarin will end up with the Panthers, Bob will leave Columbus for Calgary, and in order to try to keep one of their higher talent UFAs, they will offer Duchene like $8-9 million to stay and solidify the top line.

Reactions: lilidk

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Who are you to say that Karlsson won't sign with Detroit? Do you know him personally? Has he said it publicly? You have no idea what Erik Karlsson will or won't do

I might. I am also willing to bet thousands on it, should I set up a betting service for us? Oh, you won't bet on it? Why because you know its never going to actually happen? Oh, so what are you here arguing about then? That theres technically maybe a very small possibility only because its not officially confirmed? I mean in reality I doubt its above 0% but whatever.

I really can't even come up with a single elite UFA player that signed with a bottom 10 team in the past 10+ years or so let alone a bottom 5 team like Detroit, we aren't talking about UFA who ended up resigning with their own teams or got traded either. Can you come up with any? I would think there has to atleast be a couple outliers I am missing. If there is actually one or two maybe we should also count up the ones who only went to playoff teams that way we can produce concrete statistic so you are happy in life. Then from there on out I will pledge to use the exact percentage when referring to the odds of him considering a rebuilding team.

Wow, cant believe these are the type of arguments people want to have.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I might. I am also willing to bet thousands on it, should I set up a betting service for us? Oh, you won't bet on it? Why because you know its never going to actually happen? Oh, so what are you here arguing about then? That theres technically maybe a very small possibility only because its not officially confirmed? I mean in reality I doubt its above 0% but whatever.

I really can't even come up with a single elite UFA player that signed with a bottom 10 team in the past 10+ years or so let alone a bottom 5 team like Detroit, we aren't talking about UFA who ended up resigning with their own teams or got traded either. Can you come up with any? I would think there has to atleast be a couple outliers I am missing. If there is actually one or two maybe we should also count up the ones who only went to playoff teams that way we can produce concrete statistic so you are happy in life. Then from there on out I will pledge to use the exact percentage when referring to the odds of him considering a rebuilding team.

Not saying you're wrong, but how many "elite" free agents have there even been period? The only ones I can even think from the past 10 seasons of are Tavares and Suter.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Finnish jatkoaika.com reports, that Finnish League MVP of the season, defencemen Oliwer Kaski is going to NHL.

Still don't know the team yet.

6'3 right-handed 23-year-old skill defenceman with some experience from MSU.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
You’re welcome. Don’t get so pissy over a different opinion and start hurling insults, and I won’t drag things down into the mud. You’re responsible for your own frustration.

FYI: people who constantly have to tell others how smart they are, are usually not the smartest person in the room. Just some advice for you as you navigate life.

My life is already navigated, but thanks.

That was not my intentions but hey, whatever dude I was just trying to make a point. I also find that debatable anyway. Some of the most successful people I have ever met (especially business owner types) feel pretty highly about themselves and could be taken as constantly flexing themselves, even when everyone in the room already knows that person is the smartest one on it. It doesn't seem they do it so much on purpose but rather they have a ton of energy, passion and drive that leads to things that can be taken that way by some. In my experiences the more book educated types like say a doctor are typically very humble, but then again my buddy who is a doctor is constantly trying the flaunt his mental wit and he is certainly one of the more profitable surgeons in the area.

So I completely disagree. I think its more probable the one who needs to create labels and descriptions like this is the one trying to rationalize for their own defense. But this would be a very complicated and long discussion that neither of us are likely qualified for. But regardless, I have enough first hand proof to atleast discredit your claim. See, things just aren't that simple. Just like this hockey stuff.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

I never said that the chances were super high that he would sign. Secondly again like I said you don't know Erik Karllson and his likes, dislikes, what he is looking for. I give Detroit a chance because of the rich tradition of being an NHL original 6 team, lots of good prospects and young roster players, and the biggest thing cap space. I don'y know if you realize this, but some players go to teams just because the money is better. As far as your "not a single top ufa has went to a bottom feeder team" Zach Parise and Ryan Suter both went to the Wild a year where they finished 24th out of 30. You act like you know everything and are the smartest person in the room and honestly you just come off like a jerk. People have opinions that you don't like and you just go on and on and on about how much you know. I watch a tun of hockey ranging from all different levels, hell I coach hockey at the junior level but ya your the only one that knows anything.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Not saying you're wrong, but how many "elite" free agents have there even been period? The only ones I can even think from the past 10 seasons of are Tavares and Suter.

I don't know, not many really. It's probably only reasonable to look back to where the cap was added, but even then I can't think of much and its hard to find the data online.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

I hate to try to list reasons why I am more knowledgeable than someone on this stuff. But the amount of people around here that clearly do not put any work towards understanding these things but yet argue relentlessly with people who actually do is sickening. You got guys on here arguing to death about prospects in the draft who they literally don't even understand what style of game that player plays, people who never actually watched the player in their lives outside of a 6 minute highlight video. It is completely ok for these people to do just that and even comment and share their opinions. But people like this will sit here and quote the **** out of someone and argue for days. It is insane. These people are getting out of control and it has pushed a lot of very knowledgeable members away from this place the last couple years.

While one doesn't doubt the sincerity of your views or wishes, or that that Hen Kolland has been a little provocative, your last few posts come across as incredibly arrogant, blinkered and patronising.

You do realise that multiple people can invest time in looking at something and reach different conclusions, particularly when it comes to projecting the future, and assessing the best of multiple options with no direct recent historical comparison like for like?

Your extensive watching hockey and Dynasty leagues may make you more knowledgeable on certain elements, but it certainly doesn't afford you the right to dictate absolutism in a conversation that cannot by definition be resolved absolutely. And 'the my friends are smarter than your friends' line is hardly endearing, when the only certainty we have is that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and it is the specifics that define the comparative success of competing methodologies.

I personally would take Karlsson in the very unlikely event he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere, for the following reasons:

1) He would be the best D we've had since Lidstrom, and while he will inevitably slow down, his PPG is still high and stable, and injury permitting could easily remain so for several years.
2) He's excellent on the PP. We have been awful on the PP for a number of years now, but with the impending arrival of Zadina, our next draft pick(s), and the development of Rasmussen and our young D, a top level PP D-man could be massive for both their development and the team.
3) Given our record at drafting D, it seems unlikely we'll find anyone that way any time soon that can play at Karlsson's level.
4) Equally, the red wings finally have 2-3 Dmen coming up who could be regular 2nd liner's without being above their heads, which, if augmented by Karlsson's arrival, and the retention of some of our current regular D, would give us the most exciting D core since we last made it to the SC final, only most of our roster would be younger players.
5) We all want to draft a star. Karlsson is a star...if we get lucky this year, maybe we'll have 2 stars! In all seriousness though, the last few draft lotteries have taught us that even if this team remains awful, we might still never get a top 5 pick, and signing an elite player in FA would compensate.
6) While it is far from certain, if our recent draft picks and younger players continue to develop as most have over the last 12-18 months, we could find ourselves being a playoff team soon enough anyway, depending on the evolution of other teams.
7) He's an extremely entertaining player, who would fit it well with what Blash's system hopes to be. If nothing else watching the team would be a lot more exciting.
8) You land EK and suddenly other FA's look at you very differently.

Now of course it isn't without risk. Its a gamble that is dependent on the success of other elements alongside it to really be seen as successful in the long term. It would certainly require someone with more defensive instincts to flourish as a partner for him.

But ultimately all the options on the table have risk. As others have said, nothing offers guarantees.
Sure you might Draft Sid & Geno or Kane and Toews, or Matthews and Marner. But Edmonton have drafted lots of top players in round 1, but have nothing to show for it. Arizona are still not a playoff team despite how many high picks? Buffalo are finally improving, but STILL aren't a playoff team. The Devils remain massively reliant on 1 man to be competitive. etc

What if our fwds all continue developing but we never find that #1 D, and are locked into picking 10-20 every year, and don't nail those picks?
What if we continue to be poor but never get any lottery luck?
What if we do finally draft a defensive superstar but not for another 7 years?

Personally, I'd go hard for multiple top Free Agents, and be willing to trade the likes of Daley for peanuts and cap dump Abby etc in order to make the cap work. As in this year, we may see other high quality FAs hit the market. While unlikely, as has been pointed out, bag EK and Trouba in back to back years and suddenly our biggest weakness is a strength

Do I think its going to happen? NO.
Is it impossible? NO.
But to ascribe certainty or absolutism because you 'know more' is not just insulting to everyone else, but also gets you into the entrenched tunnel thinking that has exactly the impact that you complain about.
I think collectively, as you do watch so many other teams, most would find it more interesting to benefit from that knowledge re draft options, trade targets or DRW prospects, particularly as you suggest you take interest in how they fit into playing styles, synergies and the broader picture. I for one would find that more interesting and useful than seeing my preferred strategy ridiculed (not directly with me obvs), when the myriad of variables mean it is impossible for me and those who agree with me to be fundamentally wrong.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Maybe the best thing the Wings to do this summer is to not overpay for an UFA. Keep your long term money for a player that truly wants to play in Detroit such as Trouba next summer. Become a better team the Wings will have a larger choice ofn UFAs that want to play in Detroit.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad