What UFA should we really go after?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Karlsson by far,failing that Panarin

other than that i'd rather just stand pat but i'm sure Holland will spend all the money on something I just hope it's nothing super bad

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Players I would pay for : Karlsson, Panarin

I'd take other guys but not at market value, but why would they come here below market value?
Those guys would be : Skinner, Hayes, Gardiner, Duchene, Nyquist

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
If we can't land Erik Karlsson, then I would wait to sign anyone of substance until 2020... I fully believe we can land Trouba if/when he becomes a UFA next offseason

Trouba should be top priority. Save the cap space baring EK or Breadman for our RFA contracts and Trouba. Land another top 10 pick next season and enter the following season with Trouba + 2019 1st round pick + Veleno?! Could be the year we fight for the playoffs again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I want the Trouba thing to happen, but I certainly don't want to be staring at the alter again ala Suter which really was as close to a done deal not happening that I can remember, the front office really thought he was coming.

I think we should approach the big two Panarin and Karlsson. I think we might have a shot at Karlsson, you have to believe he would be willing to hear out Zetterberg, he is also close with Filppula and of course Nyquist is out there with him now as a teammate that can talk about what it is like to be a Red Wings player and the beautiful new arena. Still hard to know if either guy will truly look at us given where we are. I do wonder if he was coming if Nyquist would be signing as well... I guess we will find out, but I am getting a little more confident he makes free agency, though a cup run from San Jose could change it.

I think we need to land one of Karlsson or Trouba though over the next two off-seasons and that is tough.

Not real in love with Myers and really haven't been for a while. I preferred Gardiner pre-back injury to him by a decent margin if we are going after that second tier of D-man.

This also is heavily influenced by the draft, say we pick another winger in Kakko or Podkolzin well than as much as I love Breadman and really doubt he signs anywhere but Florida or New York, I am not sure he is a guy I am after. I also become a lot more interested in Matt Duchene for instance in that scenario. So it is still a pretty murky picture. Step one to clearing some of the off-season comes on Tuesday. If we are sitting at #1 or #2 that is also helpful in selling some of these guys that we could be good again soon.

Reactions: Bench

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I want the Trouba thing to happen, but I certainly don't want to be staring at the alter again ala Suter which really was as close to a done deal not happening that I can remember, the front office really thought he was coming.

I think we should approach the big two Panarin and Karlsson. I think we might have a shot at Karlsson, you have to believe he would be willing to hear out Zetterberg, he is also close with Filppula and of course Nyquist is out there with him now as a teammate that can talk about what it is like to be a Red Wings player and the beautiful new arena. Still hard to know if either guy will truly look at us given where we are. I do wonder if he was coming if Nyquist would be signing as well... I guess we will find out, but I am getting a little more confident he makes free agency, though a cup run from San Jose could change it.

I think we need to land one of Karlsson or Trouba though over the next two off-seasons and that is tough.

Not real in love with Myers and really haven't been for a while. I preferred Gardiner pre-back injury to him by a decent margin if we are going after that second tier of D-man.

This also is heavily influenced by the draft, say we pick another winger in Kakko or Podkolzin well than as much as I love Breadman and really doubt he signs anywhere but Florida or New York, I am not sure he is a guy I am after. I also become a lot more interested in Matt Duchene for instance in that scenario. So it is still a pretty murky picture. Step one to clearing some of the off-season comes on Tuesday. If we are sitting at #1 or #2 that is also helpful in selling some of these guys that we could be good again soon.

Trouba. Sure on a bargain contract. I think he's a good dman, but overrated.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Agree with all of these except for Hayes and Gardiner. He's the type of player KH will overpay for.

Yeah, I fear this. My new found faith in Holland will be put to the test this offseason.
Any more bad UFA/vet contracts set us back too far again and that would be unacceptable.

I'd take Hayes and Gardiner at friendly deals though. I don't quite know what that looks like to be honest.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Karlsson is 29. Pass.
I think I'm also in the minority here of not wanting Karlsson.

Not specifically just for his age, but the guy is gonna get a whopper of a contract and it seems like it won't time out well with our rebuild. He would obviously immediately make our defense better, but I don't know that having that many resources allocated to one D-man in his early 30s (when we're hopefully competitive) makes the most sense for constructing a Cup competitive team.

We were spoiled having Lidstrom, but that doesn't mean we need to go all in for a UFA sweepstakes on an elite Dman.

Of course I realize I could go on to eat this words in the next few seasons. :laugh:

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

Trouba wont sign an offer sheet unless it’s one the Jets cannot conceivably match. Not sure I give up future firsts for Trouba. I would offer a couple of this years seconds for his rights, assuming I know he would sign here long term.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018

Not specifically just for his age, but the guy is gonna get a whopper of a contract and it seems like it won't time out well with our rebuild. He would obviously immediately make our defense better, but I don't know that having that many resources allocated to one D-man in his early 30s (when we're hopefully competitive) makes the most sense for constructing a Cup competitive team.

We were spoiled having Lidstrom, but that doesn't mean we need to go all in for a UFA sweepstakes on an elite Dman.

Of course I realize I could go on to eat this words in the next few seasons. :laugh:

I get it.
But we've been absent an elite D-man so long that if EK signed here..... boy would you be happy.

Or it's the dark timeline and he sucks and I eat those words. :help:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He does but he's also had a nearly severed achilles, a surgically rebuilt ankle, and now a nagging groin injury, when so much of his game relies on skating.

I get that, our doctors will have a pretty good look at that stuff though if we are signing him and he is given the green light I am on board with signing a franchise D-man. We need one of those badly and I am willing to gamble on a star player and also important there one that I like watching play the game every night, he is a butt in your building and watching your broadcast kind of star player.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I get it.
But we've been absent an elite D-man so long that if EK signed here..... boy would you be happy.

Or it's the dark timeline and he sucks and I eat those words. :help:
Agreed. In the short term holy hell would he be fun to watch.

But since it's all theoretical at this point I just don't know it gives the Wings the best chance at rebuilding a Cup competitive team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Trouba is my "realistic" hope for our big off-season acquisition. Karlsson, of course, is the elite player but that's what will make the competition so brutal.

If I were betting money, though, I'd say we don't acquire anyone high impact and fill depth spots.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Karlsson doesn't make this team a contender. He makes them a bubble team. I'd be fine with a couple role player vets on one year contracts without NTCs. No big names until Detroit is ready to turn the corner.

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I get that, our doctors will have a pretty good look at that stuff though if we are signing him and he is given the green light I am on board with signing a franchise D-man. We need one of those badly and I am willing to gamble on a star player and also important there one that I like watching play the game every night, he is a butt in your building and watching your broadcast kind of star player.
Wherever he goes it'll be interesting to see what Karlsson's new normal is. Coming back from injuries and a lot of personal turmoil on top of moving to a new team, it's hard to predict what kind of player he'll be the rest of his career.

No doubt he is a player worth tuning into games for every night.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Trouba wont sign an offer sheet unless it’s one the Jets cannot conceivably match. Not sure I give up future firsts for Trouba. I would offer a couple of this years seconds for his rights, assuming I know he would sign here long term.

I wasn't talking offer-sheet there, though I have in the past. I would be okay with it if we have landed Hughes and we don't think the Jets will match. Even when I have proposed it in the past it is always as a two year deal to make it tough for the Jets to match.

I just worry about sitting around waiting a whole year for that answer. What if he gets dealt at the draft and likes the new place? What if we sit around for two years waiting on this kind of like when the rumors were swirling that Suter wanted to be a Wings player and when he became a free agent he would be ours. That isn't an experience I am running head long towards again is all I am saying this lets just wait for Trouba to pick us might not happen and what are we doing in 2020 when we strike out there...

The Jets will have better offers if they openly shop him than what we can come up with, heck even as a one year rental he easily commands well over second round picks.

But again I find some of this thread premature. I mean it is good to have an idea of what players we like and all of that, but if the lottery smiles on us on Tuesday it certainly will shift the aggression of the front office in my opinion. There are a few more things to fall before we really get a clear picture on what we should be chasing. When we are drafting where we are drafting now, you can anticipate them getting here quicker and how they fit that picture a little clearer in my opinion.

Reactions: DInTheB

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Agreed. In the short term holy hell would he be fun to watch.

But since it's all theoretical at this point I just don't know it gives the Wings the best chance at rebuilding a Cup competitive team.

I get it for sure.

But my mind goes to places like.... EK this year, Trouba next year... Then I see Yzerman being handed a cup by the team as GM... tears well up, I get emotional... lmao

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

While I think any team would be crazy to not try to sign EK, at the same time I'm not as high on him as some people seem to be and he could very easily sign here long term and then fall off

To many it's worth the risk but I'm not the GM so I'm not burdened with these situations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad