What UFA should we really go after?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Or someone else just trades for Trouba and re-signs with them. :thumbd:
Trading for Trouba is going to cost entirely too much. It'll just open up another hole on the roster. If he goes to another team and signs long-term there, then oh well.

There's no reason why he wouldn't test free agency at this point considering he's turned down several long-term offers from Winnipeg.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
A while back I posted we should go after the three big fish in this free agent class: Drew Doughty, OEL and Erik Karlsson. Both Doughty and OEL signed new deals so they obviously aren't options. I say go after Karlsson, we have plenty of pluggers on defense. I'd also trade for Trouba if you can get him to agree to an extension. We're flat out awful at developing d-men, in one offseason you could have two top pairing d-men. The odds of signing both are extremely low but why not call up their agents and in the case of Trouba the Jets and gauge the interest level for acquiring both?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Trading for Trouba is going to cost entirely too much. It'll just open up another whole on the roster. If he goes to another team and signs long-term there, then oh well.

There's no reason why he wouldn't test free agency at this point considering he's turned down several long-term offers from Winnipeg.

It depends why he might want out and where he is traded to. He might have a list of places that he would re-sign with and would specifically re-sign with those teams, or maybe he just doesn't like Winnipeg.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It depends why he might want out and where he is traded to. He might have a list of places that he would re-sign with and would specifically re-sign with those teams, or maybe he just doesn't like Winnipeg.
If I'm the Red Wings GM, I bet that he wants to be on the Red Wings, assuming there's a spot on the top defensive pairing and he gets market value on his contract.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
We only have 4 forwards and one defenseman to build around.Are you going to trade couple of them to get that masterpiece. It's not going to work. Instead we can try to get one from college, like we got DD , or from Europe , like Chicago got Panarin and Kahun . If Green will be healthy, we going to be much better defensively

I'd rather have a 25 year old guarantee (Trouba) than an 18 year old 50/50 chance (#6 draft pick) personally. Trouba is still plenty young enough to be around in 3 years or so when/if the Wings are competitive again.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'd rather have a 25 year old guarantee (Trouba) than an 18 year old 50/50 chance (#6 draft pick) personally. Trouba is still plenty young enough to be around in 3 years or so when/if the Wings are competitive again.

Trouba HAS NOT proven to be an elite top pairing dman whatsoever.

He is good and better than anyone on the blue line we have or have drafted since Kronwall but man the fact he is from Michigan I think accounts for 50% of why he is being so hyped around here.

I would not give up a 6th OA for him, that's crazy.

I would prefer the following Jets alone to him and in order,
Schifele(sp)
Morrisey
Laine
Connor

If he chooses to sign here next summer that would be awesome but we're not in any position yet to trade away multiple good young players or picks for a guy like Trouba

Reactions: lomekian

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If it's only 6, jets will ask for much more

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
unless we plan on unloading a contract somewhere, the idea of karlsson or panarin wont happen.

in that sense - id rather make no moves outside of resigning Howard for 2y. thats about it.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
unless we plan on unloading a contract somewhere, the idea of karlsson or panarin wont happen.

in that sense - id rather make no moves outside of resigning Howard for 2y. thats about it.

We have like 18m in cap space. Why do we need to unload a contract to sign an elite player? You think they're getting 20m a season?

Just so you know there a limit of like 15m I think(percentage of cap) which is less than 18m.

Panarin is prolly in the 9-10m range, Karlsson is 10-11(I think those saying 12m are too high because of his injury history), and duchene I'd say 8-10m.

Meaning we can afford 1 or 2 of the top level wingers.

Those are my top targets, however I would not be upset if our second line consisted of eberle, AA and Lee or nelson(take 2 from the islanders instead of CBJ). They also would be a cheaper duo IMO but without the elite winger of panarin.

Edit: also Howard has all ready been re signed for a year, awhile ago.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
We have like 18m in cap space. Why do we need to unload a contract to sign an elite player? You think they're getting 20m a season?

Just so you know there a limit of like 15m I think(percentage of cap) which is less than 18m.

Panarin is prolly in the 9-10m range, Karlsson is 10-11(I think those saying 12m are too high because of his injury history), and duchene I'd say 8-10m.

Meaning we can afford 1 or 2 of the top level wingers.

Those are my top targets, however I would not be upset if our second line consisted of eberle, AA and Lee or nelson(take 2 from the islanders instead of CBJ). They also would be a cheaper duo IMO but without the elite winger of panarin.

Edit: also Howard has all ready been re signed for a year, awhile ago.

yea i looked at my numebrs incorrectly. Well, i mean they were in there on capfriendly but they had hank and franzen in there. so, you are right.

I'd be all for Panarin and karlsson.. I would definitely not go after Duchene. Never liked him, never will. I think he's the type that will mail it in with a big contract. I know the same could be said for someone like Panarin, but, id just love to see him in Detroit along side Zadina, Larkin and co.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I DO NOT understand why you guys want to trade for Trouba when we can just wait til next summer??? Why give up assets? We aren't winning the cup next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I DO NOT understand why you guys want to trade for Trouba when we can just wait til next summer??? Why give up assets? We aren't winning the cup next year.

These guys don't hit the market very often and if they're not re-signing they are usually dealt and then re-signed. It's why Suter was such a missed opportunity and why Karlsson would be, too, if he is out there and the Wings can't land him.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Because odds are he won't ever hit the free agent market if he's on the trade block this offseason and someone other than the Red Wings trades for him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
These guys don't hit the market very often and if they're not re-signing they are usually dealt and then re-signed. It's why Suter was such a missed opportunity and why Karlsson would be, too, if he is out there and the Wings can't land him.

Trouba goes not belong anywhere near the likes of suter or Karlsson

If he wants to play here he will, if he dosent than he wont

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Trouba goes not belong anywhere near the likes of suter or Karlsson

If he wants to play here he will, if he dosent than he wont

Meh, Trouba has one less 50 point season at age 25 as Suter has had in his career. Trouba just turned 25, he has a long career in front of him and there is a good chance he surpasses what Suter has done as a player.

Trouble has always been great defensively but I have questioned his offensive upside. He has proven this year he can put up points if given the chance.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Meh, Trouba has one less 50 point season at age 25 as Suter has had in his career. Trouba just turned 25, he has a long career in front of him and there is a good chance he surpasses what Suter has done as a player.

Good chance he surpasses? Boy, how quickly we forget Suter was a top 5 defender for many years. He was never an offensive powerhouse, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone better in all 3 zones that can play half the game.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Good chance he surpasses? Boy, how quickly we forget Suter was a top 5 defender for many years. He was never an offensive powerhouse, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone better in all 3 zones that can play half the game.

Agreed

Suter is far superior.

Again Trouba is being hyped mostly cause of his birth certificate

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because odds are he won't ever hit the free agent market if he's on the trade block this offseason and someone other than the Red Wings trades for him.
Just like Karlsson won't? If Trouba wants to be a red wing he will tell the jets who ever you trade me to other than Detroit, I'm not signing an extension...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Suter hadn't garnered a single Norris vote (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th) by the time he was Trouba's current age. How many top 5 defensemen don't even garner a single vote for the Norris when there are like 20 players who get votes? Trouba is shaping up to have a better career and is better at a young age than Suter was. Yes, I would expect him to pass Suter as a player - he is around the age where the best defensemen typically break out and just had his best offensive season by far. It's certainly not a guarantee, but i'll take my chances.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Just like Karlsson won't? If Trouba wants to be a red wing he will tell the jets who ever you trade me to other than Detroit, I'm not signing an extension...

The season isn't over yet. Karlsson could easily still re-sign in SJ.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Or maybe Trouba is ok with 3-5 different teams, Detroit included, and would simply sign the first offer that comes his way from one of those teams. One of those teams trades for Trouba and he likes it there and now Detroit has no shot.

It's fine if you don't want to give up assets and want to risk it and roll the dice that he's still available as a free agent in 2020 -- that makes sense in many aspects. However, i'm just saying that it is far from a given he will even be available, so it's nothing one can count on.

Reactions: jkutswings

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The season isn't over yet. Karlsson could easily still re-sign in SJ.
Yeah I doubt he is negotiating in the middle of the playoffs a few months before he is set to hit UFA and get a bidding war for him. Why would he ever do that?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yeah I doubt he is negotiating in the middle of the playoffs a few months before he is set to hit UFA and get a bidding war for him. Why would he ever do that?

Well, if they were currently negotiating his agent would be negotiating, not Karlsson himself. Also, free agency doesn't start as soon as the playoffs are over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad