What UFA should we really go after?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Be that as it may, the results are likely to be the same: a splashy, high profile player added to a team of no relevance.

With an improving core of players to carry the load.

There are zero equivalencies that you can make between the Pistons without Griffin and the Red Wings without Karlsson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Grabbing a guy like Duchene makes a lot of sense if we take Podkolzin in the draft. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see us sign him and let the D go for a year, hoping some more guys hit the market next year. Or a trade can be made.

Get your bad juju outta here bro

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
With an improving core of players to carry the load.

There are zero equivalencies that you can make between the Pistons without Griffin and the Red Wings without Karlsson.

Can you point out where I was trying to make that comparison? The premise was clearly comparing the teams WITH the respective players and the outcome. You're still welcome to pursue your tangential counterpoint that has zero relevance to my initial statement though:thumbu:

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Can you point out where I was trying to make that comparison? The premise was clearly comparing the teams WITH the respective players. You're still welcome to pursue your tangential counterpoint that has zero relevance to my initial statement though:thumbu:

Well sure, in your microscopic POV of analyzing a single year. If you use actual logic to see the long term quality of the Red Wings compared to the Pistons, you can see the difference in value of adding Karlsson vs adding Griffin.

Also, Karlsson won’t cost the Red Wings their best player and draft capital. But let’s not let the full picture get in the way of that one pixel.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Let's play that scenario out: Detroit takes Podkolzin and signs Duchene. A few years from now, here's their forwards:

Center - Larkin, Duchene, Veleno, LGD/Ehn/DLR

Wing - Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA, Zadina, Podkolzin, Rasmussen, Hirose, LGD/Ehn/DLR

That's a lot of firepower, and it doesn't include Breggren, Svechnikov, or any other forwards they might draft this summer.

But it still leaves a ton of questions at defense.

I still think the Wings would be better suited to drafting a potential center and using cap space to sign or trade for established defenders. Definitely more balanced, at any rate.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Let's play that scenario out: Detroit takes Podkolzin and signs Duchene. A few years from now, here's their forwards:

Center - Larkin, Duchene, Veleno, LGD/Ehn/DLR

Wing - Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA, Zadina, Podkolzin, Rasmussen, Hirose, LGD/Ehn/DLR

That's a lot of firepower, and it doesn't include Breggren, Svechnikov, or any other forwards they might draft this summer.

But it still leaves a ton of questions at defense.

I still think the Wings would be better suited to drafting a potential center and using cap space to sign or trade for established defenders. Definitely more balanced, at any rate.
Problem is to get established defender will cost a lot and we probably loose couple of those forwards + pics .

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Well sure, in your microscopic POV of analyzing a single year. If you use actual logic to see the long term quality of the Red Wings compared to the Pistons, you can see the difference in value of adding Karlsson vs adding Griffin.

Also, Karlsson won’t cost the Red Wings their best player and draft capital. But let’s not let the full picture get in the way of that one pixel.

Oddly enough, your condescending argument hasn't swayed me.

The actual logic in my microscopic POV is that EK's final prime years will spent on a team with no relevance and he will be used up when the team makes some noise. But let's not let that get in the way of your impassioned non sequitur argument.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
go beck to 2016 draft , we got Cholo at first , Hronek at second , but there was the best defensive prospect Olli Juolevi , who some believe already a bust, there is Fabbro , I don't know if he has spot in Nashville. Should we try to trade for kids like that ?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Oddly enough, your condescending argument hasn't swayed me.

The actual logic in my microscopic POV is that EK's final prime years will spent on a team with no relevance and he will be used up when the team makes some noise. But let's not let that get in the way of your impassioned non sequitur argument.

Oddly enough, you’ve changed from your original argument of comparing EK joining the Wings to the Pistons adding Griffin. So I’ll bow out, and I’m sure you’ll view that as an accomplishment of some sort.

Reactions: RabidBadger

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Fans complain about a lack of elite talent, have a chance to sign what would be the Wings best player without giving up any assets, and don’t want to do it. Incredible.

Reactions: A II R and NickH8

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Fans complain about a lack of elite talent, have a chance to sign what would be the Wings best player without giving up any assets, and don’t want to do it. Incredible.
what assets do you think we have ?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Man I don’t really anyone but the way eberle is performing these playoffs he’s reminding me of the eberle who always elavated his play with team canada(he’s never been making the playoffs with these dud teams he’s been on)

I’d even consider giving him one year x8 to make sure he signs with the sole purpose we trade him and put him in the top 6 to max his value and get a 1st at the deadline (knowing Holland though if eberle had 30 by deadline day he’d sign him )

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Man I don’t really anyone but the way eberle is performing these playoffs he’s reminding me of the eberle who always elavated his play with team canada(he’s never been making the playoffs with these dud teams he’s been on)

I’d even consider giving him one year x8 to make sure he signs with the sole purpose we trade him and put him in the top 6 to max his value and get a 1st at the deadline (knowing Holland though if eberle had 30 by deadline day he’d sign him )

You and Pierre both.

I doubt he would sign for one year, but I like that creative way of thinking to load up on assets.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
go beck to 2016 draft , we got Cholo at first , Hronek at second , but there was the best defensive prospect Olli Juolevi , who some believe already a bust, there is Fabbro , I don't know if he has spot in Nashville. Should we try to trade for kids like that ?

I’d consider trading an AA or mantha for a fabbro/bean type prospect only cause we have Larkin,bertuzzi one of the remaining 2, zadina,veleno hopefully other kids like svechnikov,Berggren whoever we draft this year, who knows if Like podkolzin drops or not that can change everything, we have good forward kids coming but our d isn’t as good

All depends who we can get back and what the cost is but I think it’s worth considering

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
You and Pierre both.

I doubt he would sign for one year, but I like that creative way of thinking to load up on assets.
Pierre?mcguire? Lol I just remembered him in youth and he always elevated play in the playoffs man he was good , but my sole purpose would be to lock him to one year to get a great return since we have a bunch of kids coming upfront

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm fine with signing EK if I'm convinced he has at least 4-5 years of quality hockey left in him. But I don't think he's interested in Detroit, and I'm not yet convinced of that health requirement, so TBD.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Get your bad juju outta here bro

I think it's just an alternative way the Wings could find themselves building the team. We all know they need centers and D, how they get them doesn't really matter as long as they get them and make it work within the cap restrictions. And if Podkolzin ends up being a Tarasenko level wing should we really complain about drafting him and having to sign Duchene to fill that center gap?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think it's just an alternative way the Wings could find themselves building the team. We all know they need centers and D, how they get them doesn't really matter as long as they get them and make it work within the cap restrictions. And if Podkolzin ends up being a Tarasenko level wing should we really complain about drafting him and having to sign Duchene to fill that center gap?

I think sometime people here get too caught up in positions when drafting. If Zadina turns into Pastrnak, Pod is the next Tarasenko, and they have to settle for “only” a 50-60 point 2nd line center, frankly, I’m probably not going to care what positions they passed on in the draft. Not saying either of those is *going* to happen, just using it as an example of how caliber of player matters much more than position, at least in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Nvm

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think sometime people here get too caught up in positions when drafting. If Zadina turns into Pastrnak, Pod is the next Tarasenko, and they have to settle for “only” a 50-60 point 2nd line center, frankly, I’m probably not going to care what positions they passed on in the draft. Not saying either of those is *going* to happen, just using it as an example of how caliber of player matters much more than position, at least in my opinion.
Zadina is very raw prospect, we new that when we drafted him. His biggest problems are very very important at NHL, it s skating and physicality. Those 2 can improve easily

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
None whatsoever.
None of the younger stars will come anyway,
and the Dumbo GM already signed too many worthless ones in the past years.

Reactions: Gniwred

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
it's really only incredible when you ignore all the reasons people have stated why.

Sure, in the vacuum you're describing it seems crazy.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad