What UFA should we really go after?

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Karlsson + Trouba trade/extension would make me think a lot different about Ken Holland.
Some of you people are nuts!
Trouba is UFA in a year, and Karlsson will demand ridiculous money and term, DURING a rebuild.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Trouba is UFA in a year, and Karlsson will demand ridiculous money and term, DURING a rebuild.

Getting players like Trouba and Karlsson is how you rebuild your team to be good again. Isn't that the point?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Oh.. Did I miss us draft a superstar lately, to get anywhere close to end the rebuild?
Ridiculous!

Nope, but that’s not the point. Your definition of completing a rebuild and the team’s definition don’t have to be the same. Don’t try to be so edgy.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Getting players like Trouba and Karlsson is how you rebuild your team to be good again. Isn't that the point?

No, it's not, they aren't 18 years old.
You sign UFAs to complement a rebuild, when it's close.
Wings are NOT close.
Unless you somehow think Karlsson gets you 20 more ROWs and a chance at the Cup in playoffs

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Wings are NOT close.
Unless you somehow think Karlsson gets you 20 more ROWs and a chance at the Cup in playoffs

Karlsson and Trouba gives you arguably the best top pairing in the entire NHL. So yeah, I think they could add quite a few wins to the team. I think they are both righty, so maybe they wouldn't play together, but my point still stands. The defense goes from bottom 3 in the league to the top 10-15....even higher if Hronek and/or Cholowski take the next step.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Wings are NOT close.

So we can only rebuild with 18 year olds? What a stupid way to needlessly restrict yourself.

Reactions: NickH8

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Karlsson and Trouba gives you arguably the best top pairing in the entire NHL. So yeah, I think they could add quite a few wins to the team.
And still not enough to become a true contender, in limbo of being not good enough to win it all nor bad enough to draft high, like Hughes, Kakko or Lafernier.
Toronto Maple Leafs 2.0 is NOT what you want

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
And still not enough to become a true contender, in limbo of being not good enough to win it all nor bad enough to draft high, like Hughes, Kakko or Lafernier.
Toronto Maple Leafs 2.0 is NOT what you want

The lottery doesn't work the way it did when Kane/Toews were drafted, or Crosby/Malkin were drafted. If that's you can rebuild a team, you're going to be waiting quite a bit. The Red Wings need great players. Of course i'd take a #1 pick and Lafernier or whatever....but that doesn't mean we should avoid adding quality players in the meantime.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
So we can only rebuild with 18 year olds? What a stupid way to needlessly restrict yourself.
Sure, go ahead, pay Karlsson 1o mil for 7 years and trade valuable assets, needed for rebuild, for Trouba.
Don't complain 5 years later thou, with another "Suter" on your hands.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
The lottery doesn't work the way it did when Kane/Toews were drafted, or Crosby/Malkin were drafted. If that's you can rebuild a team, you're going to be waiting quite a bit. The Red Wings need great players. Of course i'd take a #1 pick and Lafernier or whatever....but that doesn't mean we should avoid adding quality players in the meantime.
Math doesn't lie, odds are still best if you finish lower.
Signing Karlsson and trading assets for Trouba doesn't help the rebuild, it makes it tougher.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Sure, go ahead, pay Karlsson 1o mil for 7 years and trade valuable assets, needed for rebuild, for Trouba.
Don't complain 5 years later thou, with another "Suter" on your hands.

If your only plan to rebuild is to purposely avoid adding good players in search of the one golden goose that will magically turn the franchise around on his own you're probably going to be waiting a while. But you do you my man.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Math doesn't lie, odds are still best if you finish lower.
Signing Karlsson and trading assets for Trouba doesn't help the rebuild, it makes it tougher.

I'd rather have Karlsson, Trouba, and Larkin than not sign Karlsson, not trade for Trouba, and have to ditch Larkin to finish dead last in the league in hopes that we get lucky and don't get the #4 pick like the odds say we would.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If your only plan to rebuild is to purposely avoid adding good players in search of the one golden goose that will magically turn the franchise around on his own you're probably going to be waiting a while. But you do you my man.
We only have 4 forwards and one defenseman to build around.Are you going to trade couple of them to get that masterpiece. It's not going to work. Instead we can try to get one from college, like we got DD , or from Europe , like Chicago got Panarin and Kahun . If Green will be healthy, we going to be much better defensively

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's kind of a moot argument, does anyone really expect Holland to sign an elite player in free agency? When is the last time that has happened? The more likely outcome is that he'll overpay some washed up vets and saddle the team with more untradeable contracts. I'll pass. I'd rather have him not do anything than saddle the team with bad contracts. I'm more than willing to wait for the next GM to build the team.

Reactions: Snuggs

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Karlsson will be getting ridiculous money just before two events that will spur major cap hikes. (Seattle expansion and new TV contract)

Basically, whatever he's paid will be equal or under market in two years. Same with Athanasiou and Mantha. And Larkin is already on a steal contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad