Proposal: What to do with RFA's and next season's roster

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Playing armchair GM

I hope they resign Stempniak, let Eriksson walk for what he's asking for, move his rights if you can.

Resign Connolly, I think at the least he's a good fourth liner, may still develop into more
Resign Ferraro, I like what he brings on the fourth line
Krug is an obvious must resign, hopefully they can get him for $4.0 M (5 years 20 million?)
Resign Morrow, he's developing well
Resign Kevan and Colin Miller. Despite the hate he catches I think Kevan is a solid 3rd pairing dman. Colin has a ton of potential, great skater and a booming shot.
Griffith/Koko are trade bait if possible.
Let Ferlin and Trotman walk, don't think they bring much.

Marchand-Bergeron-Stempniak
Beleskey-Krejci-Pastrnak
Vatrano-Spooner-Hayes
???-Ferraro-Connolly

Chara-McQuaid
Morrow-Seidenberg
Krug-K.Miller
C. Miller

Rask
cheap backup

Boston will have a decent amount of cap space to work with, since Lucic and Kelly both come off the books.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Playing armchair GM

I hope they resign Stempniak, let Eriksson walk for what he's asking for, move his rights if you can.

Resign Connolly, I think at the least he's a good fourth liner, may still develop into more
Krug is an obvious must resign, hopefully they can get him for $4.0 M (5 years 20 million?)
Resign Kevan and Colin Miller. Despite the hate he catches I think Kevan is a solid 3rd pairing dman. Colin has a ton of potential, great skater and a booming shot.

Beleskey-Krejci-Pastrnak
Vatrano-Spooner-Hayes
???-Ferraro-Connolly

Chara-McQuaid
Morrow-Seidenberg
Krug-K.Miller
C. Miller

Rask
cheap backup

Boston will have a decent amount of cap space to work with, since Lucic and Kelly both come off the books.

This is probably the most realistic thing that is going to happen. The only thing I don't agree with is bringing K. Miller back. I want to see Colin play and develop and be allowed to take his lumps. We've gotta some guys coming up ready to play. Let them be the #7/8 defensemen.

I'd like to see them make a trade for someone to replace Seids/McQ and maybe go spend some money on a legit LW that's not Beleskey. But we'll have to see.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fun fact:

What do Seidenberg, Kevan and Trotman have in common?

They all have more points per minute at 5 on 5 than Kevin Shattenkirk.

We are overrating him on this board. Yandle is free. Sign him instead.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Fun fact:

Overrating? Definitely, yes, but rh dman is our greatest need. They have to find a taker for Seidenberg and not re-sign K.Miller:

Chara - C.Miller
Krug - New Guy
Morrow - McQuaid

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
You can't just look at the RFAs. For me I sign both Liles and Stempniak to extensions, 1 year for Liles and 2 years for Stempniak. Try to trade Eriksson's rights, maybe in a package deal with Koko. Re-sign all RHD, they're to hard to find. If Krug wants to much, IMO over 3.5, trade him.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
should we take a run at Dumba in the offseason? is he going to be a top pairing guy? I was all for trouba but dumba looks good too....

with expansion coming up potentially should the look to move guys like seids, and other NTC guys? the offseason signings and roster moves could impact how we approach an exp draft...

At this point I can see a yandle signing and moving Krug for some assets...

I like the Bruins snooping around some of the NCAA guys, bringing them in helps the ORG depth... hopefully hayes is gone next year.

any chance we see a Krecji trade? I know he's got NTC but that could bring us Shattenkirk+ potentially... is spooner a legit #2?

I'm all for trading LE21's rigths for a 5th or better to Vancouver... maybe package him with Koko and get something better....

March-Bergy-pasta
belesky-spooner-stemp/UFA
Vatrano-UFA-traded for Player
Connolly-Acciari-Ferro/randell/Tanev

Chara-Dumba/Shatty/Trouba
Yandle-Mcquaid
"UFA"- C Miller
ex Trotman

traded or walk away
Krug
K miller
morrow
eriksson
koko
Maybe krecji
Hayes
Seids

IN
RH dman
3rd line RW
3rd line C

I think we need to ship out the soft players... not "passengers" but softer guys like Hayes and try and get a Komorov type gritty winger for the 3rd line, and possibly at center.

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA
I'm all for moving Krug if it helps us land Trouba. Bruins get Trouba, sign Yandle, trade Seids, and somehow move Hayes.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Some posters here wants too many players signed which would be fine on 1 or 2 year deals but if they're longer than that, they'll just be taking spots away from the younger players that should be ready by then.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Playing armchair GM

Beleskey-Krejci-Pastrnak
Vatrano-Spooner-Hayes
???-Ferraro-Connolly

Chara-McQuaid
Morrow-Seidenberg
Krug-K.Miller
C. Miller

Rask
cheap backup

I think you will be surprised at the lineup they put out next March

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I think you will be surprised at the lineup they put out next March

DKH, by surprised do you mean a team closer to what we all hoped to witness this year when management said they would be a much tougher team to play against? or is this a completely different direction?
If you cannot divulge the info. I will totally understand.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Some posters here wants too many players signed which would be fine on 1 or 2 year deals but if they're longer than that, they'll just be taking spots away from the younger players that should be ready by then.

I think we'll see Sweeney cutting ties with quite a few of the guys in Providence this year.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I think you've got 4 "pairs", A center and a wing, being right or left, on this team already set.

xxx - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - xxx
Beleskey - Spooner - xxx
xxx - Accari - Randell

The question is, how do you fill those spots? Honestly with the cap probably not going up all that much this summer, you'd have to think there's going to be at least 1-2 kids playing in that line up.

The other 2-3 spots need to be filled by vets. Bottom 6 guys shouldn't be hard to find but there needs to be an identity to this team. That's something that's been missing since Iginla and Thornton walked and Boychuk traded. I'm not saying those guys were perfect fits but there's be a rotating cast in their roles since 2013 and none seem to stick. That's a huge issue to me.

I get that no team is going to look like they are world beaters and look like they're playing 100% effort, you're going to have off and bad, lazy-like nights. That's fine. There have been far too many of those kinds of nights the past two years. Lazy, soft, emotionless nights. I don't expect to see line brawls every night, but show some heart. That doesn't mean fighting every night either.

The situation is leaps and bounds worse on the back end.

Chara - xxx
xxx - McQuaid
xxx - xxx

Realistically Boston needs to look into moving on for Seidenberg. Hopefully they can find a trade partner for him, a low round pick is probably fine. If not they should probably look into a buy out. Can't have nearly 7 million tied up between him and McQuaid for essentially the same role, and one that I think McQuaid can play better. They need the cap space for a partner for Chara.

Krug should be back so there's your second pairing with McQuaid. Who plays that top role I couldn't begin to tell you. I can't remember who it was but a poster made the point that Brodin could be a good fit there due to the difficulty of zone starts for Chara and that Brodin was close behind in that regard. Also explains why a guy like C.Miller didn't click perfectly with Chara.

So assume Brodin is brought in, the bottom pair still needs to be addressed. This is where I think, and hope the coaching staff and management agree with me, the kids should have at least one spot. Bring Liles back and let one of the kids battle for that #6 slot. Morrow, C.Miller, O'Gara, Carlo, or Grzelcyk.

Just please don't allow the same roster to be iced next year, especially on the back end. There's just far too many flaws.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah I know, the Kemps and Irwins and the like are on the way out for kids with hopefully some potential to be something great for us one day

We had to plug A LOT of holes with guys like Kemp and Irwin this year.

The analogy I would make is imagine you are on your way to a wedding and you lose your suitcase and your wallet and credit cards are in it so you have to buy a new wedding outfit with 20 bucks you bummed off someone at a thrift shop.

You can do it but you sure as hell aren't going to want to bring that smelly thing home with you and wear it to work its getting left in the hotel.

Sweeney inherited no bottom 6 and nothing with any grit in Providence that could fill out our forward group and thus went the salvation army route.

Bottom 6 scoring- Hayes...15 goals no matter what and maybe something clicks playing at home and his set drops. Kind of happened apart from the set dropping.
Grit- John Scotts available but we need someone who can skate the teams slow...dangit I just gave up a 3rd for Rinaldo.
Faceoffs and D- Nothing for less than 2 mil lying around stateside that isn't a teenager I gotta take this Finnish kid who was worse than the kids at D camp.
Bottom 6 player who was recently good and can be had for nothing- Talbot was amazing his first year in Philly and is only 31 why not.

Not hard to do with forwards. On D is different and harder.

'Sure I'll take Colin Miller in the Lucic deal if Claude doesn't hate him as much as Morrow and breaks into our lineup he'll be a Calder candidate.' Didn't quite happen Claude hates him like he does Morrow.
'I've got Kevan, Trot, Seids, and McQuaid....do I outbid the bozo whos job I inherited for Sekera or pay McQuaid less for the same player or not...do I trade a 2nd for another plug like these guys...Do I give Hal Gill a call to compete with them for a roster spot...eh I'll just roll with them for another year.'

We are fine right now just need to overhaul the D no matter what after the season. In 2010 we limped into the playoffs in embarrassing fashion...almost made the ECFs where we'd have been the home team and likely beat the Habs to get humiliated by the Blackhawks... Wideman led us in scoring Satan was next and Hunwick logged huge minutes during that run. We told all three to scram. Couple nice trades and 12 months later we are skating around with Lord Stanley's trophy.:D

We have the best 2 way center and best goalie in the NHL the D should be nice and cheap next year hopefully with no Chara and Seids and the forwards will be deeper with a legit 4th line + 3 headed monster at center and guys like Beleskey in better roles on the 3rd and no tools like Hayes floating. Might not be our year next but 2-3 years we should be an elite team.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Fun fact:

Perhaps he is being overrated, and perhaps Yandle is the better option for the Bruins. I'm not really interested in arguing either point. I just don't like when small sample sizes are used to support counter-intuitive assertions.

Since 2012-13 through the present, Shattenkirk is 35th our of 334 qualifying defensemen (min 300 minutes; regular season and playoffs inclusive) in ES points per 60 minutes...0.01 behind Josi, Lindholm, and Yandle who are tied for 32nd at 0.95 points per 60 minutes at ES.

Bump the qualifier up to 1000 minutes (or ~55 games at 15 minutes a game) to weed out a few of the smaller sample sizes, and he's 28th out of 247 qualifiers. Being in the top 11% or so at the position over his last 267 games seems fairly decent to me. It certainly argues against the "Shattenkirk only produces on the PP" stereotype that's so prevalent around these boards.

For the record, Seidenberg is tied for 142nd on that second list with 8 other guys at 0.64 points per 60 ES minutes. Trotman is tied for 137th (0.01 above Seidenberg) with 4 other guys...one of whom is Barret Jackman. I didn't bother to look up Miller, but I'm sure he's not much better.

The notion that any of those guys are better offense generators than Shattenkirk at ES, as one intuitively should have known simply by watching them play, is simply not true. It's almost always best to look at bigger pictures if you want to compare the baseline abilities of established players.

(All numbers compliments of War-on-Ice.com.)

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
Perhaps he is being overrated, and perhaps Yandle is the better option for the Bruins. I'm not really interested in arguing either point. I just don't like when small sample sizes are used to support counter-intuitive assertions.

Since 2012-13 through the present, Shattenkirk is 35th our of 334 qualifying defensemen (min 300 minutes; regular season and playoffs inclusive) in ES points per 60 minutes...0.01 behind Josi, Lindholm, and Yandle who are tied for 32nd at 0.95 points per 60 minutes at ES.

Bump the qualifier up to 1000 minutes (or ~55 games at 15 minutes a game) to weed out a few of the smaller sample sizes, and he's 28th out of 247 qualifiers. Being in the top 11% or so at the position over his last 267 games seems fairly decent to me. It certainly argues against the "Shattenkirk only produces on the PP" stereotype that's so prevalent around these boards.

For the record, Seidenberg is tied for 142nd on that second list with 8 other guys at 0.64 points per 60 ES minutes. Trotman is tied for 137th (0.01 above Seidenberg) with 4 other guys...one of whom is Barret Jackman. I didn't bother to look up Miller, but I'm sure he's not much better.

The notion that any of those guys are better offense generators than Shattenkirk at ES, as one intuitively should have known simply by watching them play, is simply not true. It's almost always best to look at bigger pictures if you want to compare the baseline abilities of established players.

As we painfully watch the Bruins collapse a second spring in a row, it promises to be an interesting off season and how deep Sweeney will cut into the core this year.

Not only are they failing in the pursuit of playoffs, they are not entertaining. The team as a whole lacks personality and an identity.

The captain, while effective as a stay at home defender, no longer invokes fear into opponents that allow his fellow teammates to play "bigger", part of the team's previous personality. Ditto for Seidenberg, just a smaller scale.

I understand that casting the Bruins as "big and bad" is not becoming of this era but who are they or more importantly, who does Sweeney want them to be?

My sense is that when Sweeney cut into the core last off-season with Lucic and Hamilton on their way out, he had a vision that extended beyond this season. Why else would he have retained money on Lucic's contract for 2015/16?

But the question is how will he reshape it this off season? A 2nd year in a row of no playoffs and boring team, eventually this will cut into interest in the team (I rarely hear tv, radio talk B's and even this board seems quiet).

Can they do a major facelift? I am thinking Sweeney has the conviction to do something more major and would most certainly welcome that. They will have more money to play with but if they are not able to navigate around "no trade clauses" or are just not willing to do so, it will be a long few years and fear that the Garden will return to back to the "Kasper" days.

My hear says let's hope for a strong finish from the B's and watch some playoff hockey but my head says that next "entertainment" we will get from this group will be the weeks around the draft.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As we painfully watch the Bruins collapse a second spring in a row, it promises to be an interesting off season and how deep Sweeney will cut into the core this year.

Not only are they failing in the pursuit of playoffs, they are not entertaining. The team as a whole lacks personality and an identity.

The captain, while effective as a stay at home defender, no longer invokes fear into opponents that allow his fellow teammates to play "bigger", part of the team's previous personality. Ditto for Seidenberg, just a smaller scale.

I understand that casting the Bruins as "big and bad" is not becoming of this era but who are they or more importantly, who does Sweeney want them to be?

My sense is that when Sweeney cut into the core last off-season with Lucic and Hamilton on their way out, he had a vision that extended beyond this season. Why else would he have retained money on Lucic's contract for 2015/16?

But the question is how will he reshape it this off season? A 2nd year in a row of no playoffs and boring team, eventually this will cut into interest in the team (I rarely hear tv, radio talk B's and even this board seems quiet).

Can they do a major facelift? I am thinking Sweeney has the conviction to do something more major and would most certainly welcome that. They will have more money to play with but if they are not able to navigate around "no trade clauses" or are just not willing to do so, it will be a long few years and fear that the Garden will return to back to the "Kasper" days.

My hear says let's hope for a strong finish from the B's and watch some playoff hockey but my head says that next "entertainment" we will get from this group will be the weeks around the draft.

The teams I am often most entertained by are one`s who play an up tempo game, and the one common thread each of those teams have are all have D-men who are mobile and have the speed to turn, retrieve and distribute the puck, this team, outside of Krug consistently, and now Liles to a lesser degree, have none of that. You can have the fastest forwards in the league but if nobody is giving them the puck, often means little

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
The teams I am often most entertained by are one`s who play an up tempo game, and the one common thread each of those teams have are all have D-men who are mobile and have the speed to turn, retrieve and distribute the puck, this team, outside of Krug consistently, and now Liles to a lesser degree, have none of that. You can have the fastest forwards in the league but if nobody is giving them the puck, often means little

Agree 100%. The problem is that we have D sitting in the press box with the skill to move the puck but CJ doesn't trust them so? Hayes is like being on the PK when he's on the ice. Krejchi is forcing too many passes that don't seem to get thru anymore and no one shoots to score. There are not 1team in the league with as many slow no skill D as the B's employ. It must get disheartening for the forwards to work hard to get into position to take a pass only to have to knock the pass down from waste high or higher. I would like to know if any team in the league is even close to the amount of shot over the glass / too many men penalties the B's take. I am not worried about making the PO this year as I do not believe this group has the ability to win a game let alone a series. They just seem to find ways to lose!
Duffy in Mineville.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

Couldn't agree more. Next year I want C.Miller as regular and Yandle replacing Liles (but, if they find a taker for Seidenberg, I'd keep Liles).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yeah, totally, not arguing that Shattenkirk isn't vastly better than those guys. I realize that he is having a season of unluckiness comparable to Edler a couple years back, but I think its important to set expectations that he is more like a Glen Wesley type (in Boston-centric terms), a #2 on a good team and a very good player, but not someone you can build a team around.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agree 100%. The problem is that we have D sitting in the press box with the skill to move the puck but CJ doesn't trust them so? Hayes is like being on the PK when he's on the ice. Krejchi is forcing too many passes that don't seem to get thru anymore and no one shoots to score. There are not 1team in the league with as many slow no skill D as the B's employ. It must get disheartening for the forwards to work hard to get into position to take a pass only to have to knock the pass down from waste high or higher. I would like to know if any team in the league is even close to the amount of shot over the glass / too many men penalties the B's take. I am not worried about making the PO this year as I do not believe this group has the ability to win a game let alone a series. They just seem to find ways to lose!
Duffy in Mineville.

Have to be honest duffy, there`s a danger in giving kids too much too soon. While enthused with both C Miller and Morrow and enjoy watching them move the puck, I also see/saw two kids who often looked over matched and very mistake prone. You have to bring a kid in and give them a chance for sure, insulate their minutes but the issue here is that Seids and Z are well on the back nine of their careers and can`t cover the mistakes of said kids like they once could, and the K Miller/Quaider`s of this lineup aren`t fleet of foot enough to get to the places they need to when those mistakes are made

This team requires a legit top 4 D-man, having that will give Julien or whomever the opportunity to allow a kid to learn playing 5-6th D-man minutes, as we often saw with Krug.

Just one fan`s opinion but I wasn`t nearly as convinced letting Morrow or Miller play a ton would have been wise, had little issues with their usage. Have far more issues with the Connolly/Hayes combo playing up front

Sweeney is in a heckuva position this summer to drastically alter the look of the back end, has picks, prospects and will have cap space, it`ll be interesting

bruins51

Jul 5, 2015
Not so sure 33 yo Stempniak is going to sign a 1.25m contract coming off a 20 g 50 p season.

I can get behind bergeron, spooner, koko, acciari as my centers if we were able to move krejci for significant D help.

Ideally we get rid or one of hayes / connolly. Can't afford to have both of them taking up RW spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad