Proposal: What to do with RFA's and next season's roster

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not so sure 33 yo Stempniak is going to sign a 1.25m contract coming off a 20 g 50 p season.

I can get behind bergeron, spooner, koko, acciari as my centers if we were able to move krejci for significant D help.

Ideally we get rid or one of hayes / connolly. Can't afford to have both of them taking up RW spots.

I don't think there is a chance in hell if you deal Krejci that Spooner and Koko are your 2/3 centers. I would be looking at Toronto (Kadri/Bozak), UFA (Nielsen, Backes), etc for a #2 or high end #3 to compliment Bergeron/Spooner.

I don't think Hayes and Connolly are going anywhere until they are left exposed during the expansion draft, TBH.

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA
If Krecji is moved D-help then Frans or Bozak be solid, considering Koko would be involved in a deal for Bozak if it were to happen.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I'm still waiting for the TSN press release that reads

"Brian Ferlin traded to Nashville for rights to Jimmy Vesey"

get er done and out of the way now Donny.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Boston can trade for Vesey's rights and sign him before the draft...

Thats a lot of ifs...

But, if that happens, does that change how you view Marchand? Would you be open to a Marchand/Shattenkirk type deal? Vesey, Vatrano, Beleskey with DeBrusk and Heinen as options around the corner at LW.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don't think there is a chance in hell if you deal Krejci that Spooner and Koko are your 2/3 centers. I would be looking at Toronto (Kadri/Bozak), UFA (Nielsen, Backes), etc for a #2 or high end #3 to compliment Bergeron/Spooner.

I don't think Hayes and Connolly are going anywhere until they are left exposed during the expansion draft, TBH.

i don't want anything to do with that kid, no thanks..

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Based on how the last couple games have turned out and the PO window is all but closed what major roster shake up do we see in the offseason?

Safe:
Marchand
Bergy
Belesky
Pasta
Chara (or maybe retires)
Acciari
Vatrano
C miller
Mcquaid
Connolly

Walking as UFA
Eriksson (don't even know if I want him back TBHfor 6M i'd rather try and find someone with more impact)
K Miller
talbot
kelly

Moved for the right price
Krug
Krecji
Rask
Claude Julien....
Spooner

Hoping you're gone
Hayes
Seidenberg
Trotman
Ferraro

I think if DK nets you a top pairing RH dman we see him moved. there needs a to be a mohor shakeup and some new blood brought in. not sure what great options will be available as UFA's but sweeney can certainly make some trades. who could we bring in Yandle on the back end? backes for 2nd line C?

and does anything think That Chychrun will be available at the #14 spot??

what could we get for spooner or krug and SJ 1st rnd pick?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Hate to say it, but it may be time for Claude to go. That shootout lineup was terrible, and he seems to be unwilling to adapt.

The defense is horrific. Chara, Seidenberg, K Miller, McQuaid, Trotman. None can skate, none can score. 3 of them have to go. Krug , our offensive defenseman who hasn't scored in about 50 games. If he wants more than 3.5M, goodbye.

How to fix it.....trade Krejci for Shattenkirk or similar. Sign Yandle. Find a Boychuk type.

Chara - Yandle
Shattenkirk - Krug
McQuaid C Miller
slot in Boychuk type
a skating puck mover on all pairs

Forwards
We need someone who can score....not sure where that comes from...
If Louie resigns for 3 years do it. By then the kids will be ready

Marchand - Bergeron - Louie (or scorer obtained? (Vesey?) )
Pasta - Spooner- Vatrano
Belesky - ? - Vesey (Hayes likely since he has another year)
?(dare I say a cheaply signed Kelly) - Acciari - Randall

Lets hope Heinen or Senyshyn forces themselves in to 3rd line

Morrow and Koko will walk, not getting a chance.

We need a coach who will realize there are going to be growing pains with young players, but they get no better by sitting when they make a mistake.

Dream land.....lets sign Stamkos!

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'm still waiting for the TSN press release that reads

"Brian Ferlin traded to Nashville for rights to Jimmy Vesey"

get er done and out of the way now Donny.

You hear anything more aside from the globe article that would make you think it's a possibility?

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
You hear anything more aside from the globe article that would make you think it's a possibility?

no no not at all, was more just hoping.... I doubt Nashville gives up his rights anytime soon they'll still try and sign him while they have his rights. maybe on draft day if there's a deal to be made they could move him but not likely before then. and other than a few speculative articles I'm not 100% sold Vesey comes here anyways. I guess it does help we signed Grzzz.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Signing players to long term contracts usually doesn't work out. There are exceptions of course. If these players go south, the cap is ruined. Best to sign guys to 3 And four year deals instead of these 7+ years. You need to have flexibility. It's good Chicago won these cups because those contracts are going to catch up to them. 10 mil.....eek

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Signing players to long term contracts usually doesn't work out. There are exceptions of course. If these players go south, the cap is ruined. Best to sign guys to 3 And four year deals instead of these 7+ years. You need to have flexibility. It's good Chicago won these cups because those contracts are going to catch up to them. 10 mil.....eek

Hossa already is. 4 more years for him over 5 million

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Do any of these trades work? what do you think of the way the roster pans out?

1st trade:Bos/Nsh
To Nsh: negotiation rights to Loui Eriksson
To Bos: negotiation rights to Jimmy vesey (try and sign before aug 15)

2nd trade: Bos/TO
To Bos: Leo Komarov
To TO: Dennis Seidenberg (25% retained) Jimmy Hayes

3rd trade: Bos/Min
To Bos: Matt Dumba (sign to a 6 year ext)
To Min: Joe Morrow, Seth Griffith, 2016 2nd

4th trade Bos/NJ
To NJ: Alex Khokhlachev, Zach trotman, Landon Ferraro
To Bos: 2016 2nd, 2016 3rd, 2017 5th

5th trade: Bos/Ott
To Ott: David Krecji, Brett Connolly, 2016 3rd (NJ)
To Bos: Kyle Turris, Mike Hoffman, Patrick Weircioch

**Sign Chris Stewart or Lee Stempniak for 1 year 1.5M

Lineup: (insert Vesey if he signs)
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Hoffman-Turris-Stewart/Stempniak
Belesky-Spooner-Vatrano
Komarov-Acciari-Randell

Chara-Dumba
Krug-Mcquaid
Weircioch-C Miller

Rask
Subban/Smith

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota

4th trade Bos/NJ

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Belesky-Spooner-Vatrano
Komarov-Acciari-Randell

Chara-Dumba
Krug-Mcquaid
Weircioch-C Miller

Rask
Subban/Smith

That Minnesota trade wouldn't happen in a million years. You would need to offer something significantly better than that to get Dumba...like Spooner quality better.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

4th trade Bos/NJ

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Belesky-Spooner-Vatrano
Komarov-Acciari-Randell

Chara-Dumba
Krug-Mcquaid
Weircioch-C Miller

Rask
Subban/Smith

Don't see how the Jersey trade happens.
Easy no to Ottawa
Minnesota Says no
Toronto says no. I have zero desire to pay a 4th liner 3 million a year. That should be the cost of the whole line
Nashville one seems the only plausible one.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
This team definitely needs to make some changes regardless of the play-off outcome.

Let's start with the offense. The big piece is Loui. I'm not sure where the market for him is at this point. I've said this in some other threads, but with the expansion draft likely happening, we could always sign him and then make him available and that would be a way to get out of the contract after only a few years. I would love to see him back and play RW with Bergeron/Marchand. I doubt you see too much of a shake up in the bottom 6. Getting Vesey would be huge. Realistic line-up:

Marchand-Bergeron-Loui
Vesey-Krejci-Pasta
Beleskey-Spooner-Connolly/Hayes
Vatrano-Accairi-Ferraro

In my opinion, we need 5 new defenseman in the next 2 years. I hope they trade for a legitimate top 4 defenseman. Preferably right handed and can play with Chara. Krug is probably going to have to play a top 4 role again next year, likely with McQ.

Chara-Top 4
Krug-McQ
Seids-C. Miller
Morrow

Not my dream by any stretch of the imagination, but it's likely what we're gonna see. Please no Yandle or any of these other FAs.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Penguins obviously do not need Malkin. Krejci and Cheeseburger had chemistry in Boston.

Krejci + SJ 1st + Zboril for Malkin.

Penguins save 2 million on the cap and the Bruins get a monster in Malkin

bruins51

Jul 5, 2015
Penguins obviously do not need Malkin. Krejci and Cheeseburger had chemistry in Boston.

The thought of a bergeron/malkin center combo is exciting. But i'm not sure if fills any needs we have really.

We get an upgrade at center, which is probably already our strength, and then we have 2 million less to spend on the D which is our weakness. While also giving up a pick and a solid D prospect.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
If Boston can trade for Vesey's rights and sign him before the draft...

Thats a lot of ifs...

But, if that happens, does that change how you view Marchand? Would you be open to a Marchand/Shattenkirk type deal? Vesey, Vatrano, Beleskey with DeBrusk and Heinen as options around the corner at LW.

If you do that deal, you do so not because you think Vesey, who has never played an NHL game, is Marchand's replacement...you do that based on the fact that you think it's a fair deal without considering Vesey.

So I throw it back to ya...Do you think Marchand for Shatt is a good deal for the Bruins? IMO the deal has got to stand on it's own.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Penguins would laugh in our face

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
With Seids declining, I doubt K Miller is going anywhere. We'll still need rugged, strong stay-at-home types to clear out the crease - and he's been pretty good lately. If he continues to iron out his inconsistencies, he'll have a home as a third pairing Dman.

Unless there are better options through trade or UFA signings. But I think they need to target higher-end #1/#2 Dmen. We have #5/#6's in abundance.

I think trading Krejci is a huge mistake. I'm betting he'll have off-season surgery to clean up whatever nagging injury he's been dealing with, and he'll be better next season. Spooner is not even ready for #3 duty yet, much less taking on #2 for a full season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If you do that deal, you do so not because you think Vesey, who has never played an NHL game, is Marchand's replacement...you do that based on the fact that you think it's a fair deal without considering Vesey.

So I throw it back to ya...Do you think Marchand for Shatt is a good deal for the Bruins? IMO the deal has got to stand on it's own.

I prefer futures for Shattenkirk 10 out of 10 times. But, if that is the only deal to be made, I think its fair value wise. What makes it possible palatable for the Bruins is the fact that you have Vesey, Vatrano, DeBrusk, etc as potential top 6 LW, but they don't have any potential top pairing RHD on the horizon. I still don't know if I pull the trigger, and I certainly explore Yandle as UFA or Brodin or whomever, before I do, but I think looking at trades as only stand alone doesn't make sense. If you didn't take into account the rest of your roster when making a trade, no trades would ever happen.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Yep. C.Miller stays, K.Miller go.

Find a way to get rid of Seids. Sign Yandle and sell top assets to get a top-4 D at the draft like the rumored available Shattenkirk.

Chara-Yandle
C.Miller-Shattenkirk
Krug-McQuaid
Morrow

Agree on Seidenberg and the two acquisitions you listed. But, to balance out the pairings, I'd prefer:

Chara-C. Miller
Yandle-Shattenkirk
Krug-McQuaid
Morrow

Gives you a L-R shot on each pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad