Proposal: What to do with RFA's and next season's roster

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Without our own picks in the coming years can we still drop an offer sheet on someone? trouba?dumba?

would anyone be against acquiring the services of Mike Hoffman from Ottawa?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Without our own picks in the coming years can we still drop an offer sheet on someone? trouba?dumba?

would anyone be against acquiring the services of Mike Hoffman from Ottawa?

No. You must have your own original picks.
Aside from offer sheets are very rare.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Joe Morrow - stays
Colin Miller - 50/50 he makes it past the draft
Seth Griffith - goes at the draft
Alex Khokhlachev - goes at the draft
Brian Ferlin - signs a short term 2 way deal
Brett Connolly -signs a one-two year deal on the cheap
Torey Krug - signs a reasonable 3 year deal
Zach Trotman - ?
Landon Ferraro - signs a two year deal on the cheap

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I am assuming Ottawa would be kind of against it.

I follow some of the Ottawa media on twitter and the debate they're having is how much money can a budget team allocate to the wingers. Bobby ryan signed at 7.25M, stone signed at 3.5 and the fear is Hoffman is going to want 5M or more. they have to worry about paying guys like turris and Zbad down the middle. so early speculation is Melnyk will make the GM move one of those guys at some point.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Joe Morrow - resign
Colin Miller - resign
Seth griffith - trade at draft
Alex Khokhlachev - trade at draft
Brian Ferlin - 1 year deal due to injury
Brett Connolly - resign
Torey Krug - long term deal
Zach Trotman - trade/walk
Landon Ferraro - 2 year deal to play on the 4th line next year.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Joe Morrow sign
Colin Miller sign
Seth griffith sign or trade
Alex Khokhlachev trade
Brian Ferlin walk
Brett Connolly walk but probably will be resigned because of the two 2nd round picks Chia gave up
Torey Krug sign
Zach Trotman walk
Landon Ferraro sign

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
In thinking that DS likes morrow and C miller wondering why he never told CJ to roll out

Chara-Krug
Seids-Chiller
Morrow-Mcquaid/Kmiller

d squad more.... I'd like Chiller and morrow to be around next year but I'm not sure both those guys make it past the draft. in a perfect world seidenberg is the guy that pays the price and is traded for picks to free up cap space and create room on the left side.

very doubtful we see a morrow/chiller bottom pairing, can colin handle more top pairing mins next year with Chara if we don't trade for a top RH dman?

Also I guess we can't discount the fact that Chudinov may make an appearance for next season.... i think with some time in Prov at the beginning he'd transition pretty well into the lineup. he's playing against men in the KHL so it may be an easier transition than coming in from juniors like some other guys.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In thinking that DS likes morrow and C miller wondering why he never told CJ to roll out

Chara-Krug
Seids-Chiller
Morrow-Mcquaid/Kmiller

d squad more.... I'd like Chiller and morrow to be around next year but I'm not sure both those guys make it past the draft. in a perfect world seidenberg is the guy that pays the price and is traded for picks to free up cap space and create room on the left side.

very doubtful we see a morrow/chiller bottom pairing, can colin handle more top pairing mins next year with Chara if we don't trade for a top RH dman?

Also I guess we can't discount the fact that Chudinov may make an appearance for next season.... i think with some time in Prov at the beginning he'd transition pretty well into the lineup. he's playing against men in the KHL so it may be an easier transition than coming in from juniors like some other guys.

Under some coaches you would see it.

Under Julien, not a chance in hell.

Which to me is a problem.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Under some coaches you would see it.

Under Julien, not a chance in hell.

Which to me is a problem.

Yes sorry I should have stated that if we see Claude behind the bench next season we won't see the morrow/chiller tandem. I also agree with you in that if had a different coach we could very well see these kids in the lineup a lot more. one sort of dilemma is what coach is even available?

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
with the TDL behind us and a run at trying to make the PO we're pretty much set for the next couple months.

how will our roster shape up for next season??

will Loui Eriksson walk away for a bigger pay day? will we see talbot/liles/stempniak/kempainen back? which RFA's do we qualify or give contracts to?

here are some of the higher profile RFA's Don has to figure out in the coming months

Joe Morrow
Colin Miller
Seth griffith
Alex Khokhlachev
Brian Ferlin
Brett Connolly
Torey Krug
Zach Trotman
Landon Ferraro

so far a peek into next season lineup there are some holes that could be plugged by some of these RFA... or do we source out some depth via UFA signings and keep the kids in Providence.

Marchand-Bergeron-XXX
Belesky-Krecji-Pasta
XXX-Spooner-Hayes
XXX-XXX-XXX

Chara-XX
XX(Krug)--Mcquaid
Seidenberg-XX

how many of these guys who for arguments sake deserve a look at the big club should sweeney concern himself with keeping?

Erikkson Krejci Pasta
Marchand Bergy Stemp
Beleksey Spooner Hayes
Ferrara AC Connolly/Ferlin/Whomever

Chara XXX
Krug XXX
Morrow/C Miller/McQuaid

You re sign Morrow/C Miller because they still have upside, no brainer. They've both also proven nothing to ask for an exorbitant price, meaning they'll likely take 2 year bridge deals.

Trotman is nothing special IMO so you let him walk. His upside is an every day dime a dozen bottom pariing D man.

Griffith/Koko you need to see what happens. Griffith is well above PPG in Providence and is likely too good for the AHL, same with Koko. With that said though, both are RFAs. If you have the ability to trade them for fair value you do it but you can't give them away.

Ferraro I want back, assuming his price is a 4th line price.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes sorry I should have stated that if we see Claude behind the bench next season we won't see the morrow/chiller tandem. I also agree with you in that if had a different coach we could very well see these kids in the lineup a lot more. one sort of dilemma is what coach is even available?

Hard to say at this point.

But that being said I'm not advocating for Julien to be canned. I think he's an excellent coach, and his message still get's through to the players.

But his handling of Morrow and C.Miller this season has been troubling, in conjunction with the free passes Kevan Miller and others get.

It's concerning that under Julien the Bruins haven't developed a regular, everyday, legit, NHL caliber D man in two seasons now, unless you count Bartkowski in Vancouver.

He has his template, and it includes at least one if not both D on a pair being the defensive stay-at-home type. It also includes pairing experienced guys with younger guys. And he doesn't stray for this template if he doesn't have to.

But it's not a deal-breaker IMO.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
if we keep Krug then morrow for sure has to go while he still holds some value. if that's the case I'd like to see DS move seids out for a cheaper version (gunnerson type) and run

chara-XXTrouba-dreamland)
krug-Mcquaid
XXX(gun)-CHiller
ex-Kevan/Trotman

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
if we keep Krug then morrow for sure has to go while he still holds some value. if that's the case I'd like to see DS move seids out for a cheaper version (gunnerson type) and run

chara-XXTrouba-dreamland)
krug-Mcquaid
XXX(gun)-CHiller
ex-Kevan/Trotman
If Grzelcyk/O'Gara are signed i dont see how Morrow can stay. Not to mention the other kids, just no room whatsoever.

Lets get Chudinov in here and roll:
Chara-Chudinov
Krug-Trouba(go big or go home!)
Grzelcyk/O'Gara-Mcquaid

You can even have a Seids/Liles type of guy in that 3rd pair while one of those kids comes along..hopefully.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Not a great Free Agent class this year.... anyone in particular the B's really should be targeting? D is the main issue but not a ton of talent to be had via UFA. we could always trade for RFA and negotiate there. haven't really looked at the F group. I assume we'll see some contracts handed out shortly which should make the water a little more clear. I don't know how we can commit 6M to a winger when March needs a raise, spooner (if he's still here) will get some decent coin, which means you've got 1-3C locked up but at a pretty penny, and then we have pasta to sign (not going to be crazy expensive right away) and probably 3 dmen to sign 4-8M per body...sprinkle in some ELC kids but paying for 6M for a 31 year old doesn't seem to fit the mould going forward.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Chara-Krug
Seids-Chiller
Morrow-Mcquaid/Kmiller

Who are your four PK guys?

I guess...

Chara Krug
Seids McQuaid

Now put one of those D in the penalty box and wait for a PP goal. Those 4 have 150 penalty minutes to far. Thats a lot of time with either Krug or Morrow/Colin on the ice during the PK at all times.

The Bruins just so badly need a guy who can move the puck AND play D. All their guys who can play D can't handle the puck, and all their puck movers are works in progress in their own zone.

It seems like the Bruins are trying to negate their poor puck moving by having the forwards go deep for stretch passes. Icing city. But probably better than last years strategy of everyone staying back to help the D and getting hemmed in.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
From the Boston Bruins Roster

1.) Currently rostered UFA's Erickson, Krug, K.Miller & Stepniak to get re-signed
2.) Currently rostered RFA's Connolly, Randell & Ferraro to get re-signed
3.) Cut ties with Liles (walks), Gustavson (trade exclusive negotiating rights), Morrow (trade) & Trotman (trade)

From the Minor League Rosters

1.) UFA's Talbot, Kemp, Irwin, Breen, DeFazio, Smith all walk
2.) RFA's Ferlin, Phillips, Casto, Sexton - Try and get something back, but likely walk.
3.) RFA's Griffith and Koko traded for picks
4.) RFA's Cross & Chiller re-signed
5.) Sign & Roster prospects Grzelcyk, O'Gara, Kuraly, Cehlarik, Chudonev, DeBrusk, Carlo, Vladar, Johansson, Heinen & Bjork(?)

Organization depth chart of signed/rostered players 2016-17

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Eriksson - Krejci - Stepniak
Belseky - Spooner - Hayes
Vatrano - Ferraro - Connolly
Extras: Randell, Rinaldo

Chara - McQuaid
Krug - Seidenberg
C.Miller - K.Miller
Extra: Chudinov, Cross?

Rask
Subban

Providence

DeBrusk - Acciari - Heinen
Bjork - Cehlarik - Czarnik
Blidh - Kuraly - Hargrove
Cherniwchan? - Cave - Hickman

Cross - Grzelcyk
O'Gara - Carlo
Arenson - Johansson
Everson? - Simonelli? - Youds? - Bellemore?

McIntyre
Vladar

Based on current assets. Trades notwithstanding

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
From the Boston Bruins Roster

1.) Currently rostered UFA's Erickson, Krug, K.Miller & Stepniak to get re-signed
2.) Currently rostered RFA's Connolly, Randell & Ferraro to get re-signed
3.) Cut ties with Liles (walks), Gustavson (trade exclusive negotiating rights), Morrow (trade) & Trotman (trade)

From the Minor League Rosters

1.) UFA's Talbot, Kemp, Irwin, Breen, DeFazio, Smith all walk
2.) RFA's Ferlin, Phillips, Casto, Sexton - Try and get something back, but likely walk.
3.) RFA's Griffith and Koko traded for picks
4.) RFA's Cross & Chiller re-signed
5.) Sign prospects Grzelcyk, O'Gara, Kuraly, Cehlarik, Chudonev, DeBrusk, Carlo, Vladar, Johansson, Bjork & Heinen

Think Krug is still an RFA.

Here's my predictions:
RFA's
Krug, we should re-sign, but open to moving him only should we get upgrades on defense. Depending on his asking price, I'm open to exploring options to see if it'll be best to invest the money next season. As of now, he's our 3rd best defenseman. If we get players to push him down to 5th best... I think the money should be invested differently. I'd rather upgrade and move McQuaid, and keep Krug, but keep options open.

Randall and Ferraro shouldn't be too expensive to keep around. Neither should Connolly, but I think we are done with that experiment. Worth a shot, didn't work out so well. Still has a chance to have a Benoit Pouliot type of career, but probably not here.

Morrow, Connolly, Trotman, C. Miller, Griffith, Koko we should qualify, but possibly include them on moves for long term solutions. I think all have possibilities to pan out as NHL regulars, but depends what direction we go. Anyways, of all expiring RFA's, package some of them to a team looking to shed salary for cheaper alternatives and return a better play. For once let's be on the better side of the quality for quantity type deals.

UFA's
I don't think Eriksson will be returning unless he takes a hit on what he's looking for. It's the term that's the issue, and I think another term will give him the years. I'd love to keep him, but I think our forwards will eventually need to be restructured should we want to upgrade defense, pay players in upcoming RFA years (Spooner, Pastrnak).

K. Miller should be leaving. Unless we are moving McQuaid. K. Miller will be cheaper, but not better than McQuaid. If we need $$$ for a legit top 4 and/or re-signing Eriksson, I say move McQuaid, keep K. Miller as #6.

Gustavson, Liles, Stempniak likely don't have UFA value, none are big names, and I doubt there is any sort of bidding war to get them before they hit July 1st. Of the three, I think Stempniak has the possibility to be re-signed depending on the $$$ and how he meshes in the next months. Minor league UFA's are a dime a dozen, so likely just amicably walk away.

FYI, the following players have 1 year left to their deal after this. Do any of those teams have cap issues that we could possible exploit to our benefit?

Brent Burns - San Jose
Dmitry Kulikov - Florida
Victor Hedman - Tampa Bay
Kevin Shattenkirk - St. Louis
Zbynek Michalek - Arizona

Of the list, I think only Michalek would be available that would be upgrades to whatever we have now. Shattenkirk may be affordable, but the others are likely not available whatsoever. Would absolutely love to get Brent Burns, but unfortunately, I think that's likely a fantasy at this stage.

If we could package RFA's + picks and/or prospects for Burns or Shattenkirk, I'd be fairly happy with Sweeney.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Dont get some of the pooping on Ferraro. Hes the perfecf 4th liner. Fast, gritty, scores, has a nice shot and kills prnalties. What more do people want? Sign definitely.

If its a choice between him or Acciari - who do you choose ??

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015

well Acciari is under contract so you don't really need to worry. I would bring back ferraro as a staple for the 4th line. he can be a 3rd PK unit as well. he's not going to break the bank on a 1 or 2 year deal. given how well the F group works I don't think sweeney has to do a whole lot here. they could probably get stemp back too for 1yr 1M as a stop gap until they can find someone better or one of the ELC guys is ready.

March-Bergy-Stemp
Belesky-Krecji-Pasta
"X"/Vatrano-Spooner-Hayes/Connolly
Ferraro-acciari-connolly

the defense is the issue, that sweeney is going to have to work to rectify this offseason. moving seids and his contract should be priority #1, and then see what he can get for Koko/trotman package. K miller I'm on the fence about. he be a nice cheap #6 but then you force colin out of the lineup again which doesn't make much sense to me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If Julien is back here, it's easily Acciari.

If for no other reason is he very capable on face-offs, where Ferraro is not and is basically exclusively a winger now under Julien. Much easier to replace Ferraro than Acciari.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
could we see liles signed back here on a 1 year deal? I'd move seids and keep liles on a 1 year in a heart beat personally. JML can move up and down the 3 pairings and not look out of place. just hope if DS decides to move on from morrow he gets something of value for him.

Kevan is looking pretty good lately too.... he's a beast, and when he's not in over his head he's a pretty serviceable Dman... I'm not sure we need him and Mcquaid tho....

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Besleskey - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergy - Griffith
Vatrano - Spooner - Hayes
Ferraro - Accari - Randell
X: Connolly

Chara - Chiller
Krug - McQuaid
Morrow - Seids
X: Trotman

I don't think that lineup would be bad. Lots of youth and energy. But not raw youth, youth with a little NHL experience. If I'm Sweeney I'm comfortable enough with that lineup that I play hardball in free agency. For example, kick the tires on Yandle, but only sign him if he's willing to give the B's a cap friendly deal to come home.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The Bruins actually have a lot of talented young players who are ready to break in. I know fans say that every year but they're usually talking bout guys with no experience, like Senyshyn for example. To me, a player isn't "NHL-ready" until he's A) dominated the AHL and B) had 20+ games in the NHL. There are exceptions sure, but I don't think you can count on those exceptions when mocking up your lineup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad