Proposal: What to do with RFA's and next season's roster

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I would hate to see Colin Miller go, i still believe (i like to) he can become our own Roman Josi.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Dont get some of the pooping on Ferraro. Hes the perfecf 4th liner. Fast, gritty, scores, has a nice shot and kills prnalties. What more do people want? Sign definitely.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I would hate to see Colin Miller go, i still believe (i like to) he can become our own Roman Josi.

Huuuuuuge call. Would love if, personally cant see it. Obviously still so green and needs time to develop but he isnt grtting the minutes unfortunately. He doesnt look like hes in the Bruins long term plans else he'd still be up

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Huuuuuuge call. Would love if, personally cant see it. Obviously still so green and needs time to develop but he isnt grtting the minutes unfortunately. He doesnt look like hes in the Bruins long term plans else he'd still be up

All in.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
The defense I actually think is easy. K. Miller and Trotman either one or both have to go. C. Miller and Morrow should be the bottom pairing next year, with Chara-McQ and Krug-Seids being the other two pairings. Obviously, if we can trade for a legitimate top 4 guys with one of either McQ or Seids going out, that would be ideal. If you can put Trouba or someone similar up there, that's a pretty legit D with some potential.

Offensively is a mess.

Marchand-Bergeron-XX
Belesky-Krejci-Pasta
Vatrano-Spooner-Hayes

This is likely the top 9. I would imagine that Connolly is given a contract since he's still young and has played pretty well with that top pairing. Would like to see Ferraro brought back. Hopefully we can bring some guys like Koko, Griffith, etc. and have them fill out the 4th line. If we keep Loui, a 4th line of Vatrano-Koko-Ferraro/Griffith would be sweet. Probably won't happen, but we'll see. Could use another LW and a RW, as well as a probably 2 top 4 defenseman.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think there are a lot of factors as to what the Bruins do in the offseason:

1. Where do Grzelcyk, O'Gara, and Chudinov fit on the roster if given a chance this year? Next season? Carlo?

2. I think Krug will be re-signed unless he asks for something ridiculous, but everybody else on D should be made available. I think McQuaid stays and Chara depending on if he would ever waive. Unless something drastic happens, my guess is he stays here until he retires though.

3. See if it is possible to trade for someone like Shattenkirk or Trouba without forking over anyone of importance currently on the roster. Senyshyn, Carlo, Heinen, Gabrielle, and JFK would be the prospects I would have off limits.

4. If you can't do 3, do you potentially move someone like Krejci for a defensemen? Spooner? If the Bruins falter in the playoffs, do we deal Krejci and have Spooner center the 2nd line or do we deal Spooner and still try to make a run with the current core? A 3C will be needed in either scenario.

5. What about our wingers? Sweeney wants to re-sign Eriksson which is something I would not mind. If you can't sign him, you potentially need to find a 2nd line winger. My preference would be to still have Beleskey on the 3rd line, but we'll see. Vatrano may be ready to take a roster spot as well next season.

6. Will Senyshyn be ready? He wants to be a Bruin next season but will he make it? In my opinion, Stempniak is the perfect stop-gap forward until Senyshyn is ready to slot in the roster.

7. Ferraro and Acciari should be fixtures on our 4th line. I would get rid of Connolly. I would also get rid of Hayes, but I'm not sure how likely that is. If Senyshyn makes the roster, Hayes should be on the 4th line. He plays better with players that go to the net and have some jam in their game.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't forget Randell whose also RFA.

But I don't see any reason right now why those 9 RFAs you listed and Randell wouldn't at least receive qualifying offers to at least retain their rights, even Koko if he decides to bolt for the KHL.

All of them with the exception maybe of Ferlin (I could very well be wrong about this) would have to clear waivers next Sept. if they didn't make the club out of camp.

If you include Rinaldo and Vatrano, they have 10 forwards signed through next season. So of the 6 forward RFAs not all of them will be in Boston. Even if both Stempniak and Eriksson walk after this season, Bruins could still ice a competitive forward group with the best 14 of 16 guys they have left. And that not including any other young guys like Czarnik, Senhyshyn, etc. So look at it this way (note these aren't meant to be line combos, just a list of forwards)

Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Belseky - Krejci - Pastrnak
Vatrano - Spooner - Hayes
Rinaldo - Acciari - Ferraro

Extras: Randell, Griffith

AHL: Ferlin
KHL: Koko

Chara - McQuaid
Krug - Seidenberg
Morrow - C.Miller

Extra: Trotman

Rask
Subban

So that's the base Sweeney has to work with. Now it's up to him to try an upgrade on this group through signings and trades. Not a bad place to start though, although the D is still not good.

He will have 10+ in cap space after signing those guys, a deep farm, and two firsts. Should be a fun offseason. The asterisk with the 10+ in space is that Marchand, Spooner and maybe Pasta need to get paid the next offseason and Chara going down 3 million only helps so much. If he adds two big pieces this offseason, one of Seidenquaid have to go.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Trade Morrow when you still can get something out of him. I don't think there's room for both Chiller and Morrow on this team and Chiller seems to have far more potential. Carlo and Chudinov could also be wild cards for the D next year.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I had originally posted this in another thread but it seems now this might be the better thread for it. Also seems to be more active of a thread too.

• Okposo with the money that Eriksson is possibly going to get
  • Shattenkirk in for what I would assume would be a package of 1sts, C. Miller, Koko,
    Griffith. Something along those lines.
  • Move Seids for picks to recover from this past trade deadline.
  • Add Yandle
  • Add Matt Martin
  • Pick one of Hayes or Connolly.
Run a line up like:

Belesky- Krejci- Pastrnak/Oksposo
Marchand- Bergeron- Okposo/Pastrnak
Vatrano- Spooner- Hayes or Connolly
Martin- Acciari- Ferraro
Extra: Randell

Chara- Shattenkirk
Yandle- (One of the young kids, most likely Carlo or O'Gara)
Krug- McQuaid
Extras: Morrow/Trotman

Rask
Subban/Smith/McIntyre

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I had originally posted this in another thread but it seems now this might be the better thread for it. Also seems to be more active of a thread too.

• Okposo with the money that Eriksson is possibly going to get
  • Shattenkirk in for what I would assume would be a package of 1sts, C. Miller, Koko,
    Griffith. Something along those lines.
  • Move Seids for picks to recover from this past trade deadline.
  • Add Yandle
  • Add Matt Martin
  • Pick one of Hayes or Connolly.
Run a line up like:

Belesky- Krejci- Pastrnak/Oksposo
Marchand- Bergeron- Okposo/Pastrnak
Vatrano- Spooner- Hayes or Connolly
Martin- Acciari- Ferraro
Extra: Randell

Chara- Shattenkirk
Yandle- (One of the young kids, most likely Carlo or O'Gara)
Krug- McQuaid
Extras: Morrow/Trotman

Rask
Subban/Smith/McIntyre

These are all good ideas, but you lose me with the young kids in the top 4. Especially if Julien is still here.

For a team that hasn't developed or produced a legit, full-time, regular, everyday NHL D-man in two full seasons now, I can't see one stepping onto this roster next season and overtaking Morrow and Trotman, let alone Krug and McQuaid, and being a top 4 guy.

Maybe Colin Miller if he isn't dealt like you said for Shattenkirk, that I could see.

Chudinov's name keeps getting tossed around here, I'll believe he's coming over when it's actually on papar.

I think all of Boston's young up-and-coming D (Zboril, O'Gara, Carlo, Gryz, Arnesson, Lauzon) have a great deal of potential, but expecting any of them short of maybe Arnesson because of his AHL experience, to be on this roster, let alone in the Top 4, next season is premature.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
These are all good ideas, but you lose me with the young kids in the top 4. Especially if Julien is still here.

For a team that hasn't developed or produced a legit, full-time, regular, everyday NHL D-man in two full seasons now, I can't see one stepping onto this roster next season and overtaking Morrow and Trotman, let alone Krug and McQuaid, and being a top 4 guy.

Maybe Colin Miller if he isn't dealt like you said for Shattenkirk, that I could see.

Chudinov's name keeps getting tossed around here, I'll believe he's coming over when it's actually on papar.

I think all of Boston's young up-and-coming D (Zboril, O'Gara, Carlo, Gryz, Arnesson, Lauzon) have a great deal of potential, but expecting any of them short of maybe Arnesson because of his AHL experience, to be on this roster, let alone in the Top 4, next season is premature.

That's fair. Maybe that's me being overly optimistic. I think that spot where I have one of the kids penciled in really should have just been who ever impresses the most at training camp this summer. I really hope they open at least one spot for Boston's prospects to battle for. Competition in the line up is always a good thing, as we've seen this year and last.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yandle + Shatty + Okposo means you can't afford to resign one of Marchand/Shatty, even if Seidenberg gets dealt. I'd resign Stempniak for one year and go for two d-men.

Chara Shatty
Yandle McQuaid
Krug Trotman

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm still a little boggled that Sweeney didn't try and sell Koko at the deadline... a bit of a rift between the two groups and I'm sure there's teams out there who'd love to have koko as a 3rd line center right now. now maybe he bolts to the K and we're left with nothing.

who says he didn`t? What has Koko done to convince a team he can handle a 3rd line center role?

Reading the Nucks board about Vrbata and how irked they are that Benning didn`t move him and I heard the perfect answer from Bob Mackenzie when he said, who wants him? He`s stunk this season

Koko`s been a nice AHL player but I`m not so positive as others here that he`s as valued or even highly sought after as some think

Summer time, I wager he`s a toss in on a deal

I focus on Krug , then C Miller and Morrow/Randall and the rest, use em as chips to make deals

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I would.

The kid is going to be a stud, and hopefully it's in Boston and not on someone else's roster.

I agree. C. Miller just needs a chance to develop. He has all the psychical tools.

Trade Morrow when you still can get something out of him. I don't think there's room for both Chiller and Morrow on this team and Chiller seems to have far more potential. Carlo and Chudinov could also be wild cards for the D next year.

Why would Morrow and C. Miller not be the perfect bottom pairing next year? Young, cheap, great chance to develop. Chara-McQ and Seids-Krug would be the other 4, assuming we don't deal for someone. This is what we should've been doing this year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That's fair. Maybe that's me being overly optimistic. I think that spot where I have one of the kids penciled in really should have just been who ever impresses the most at training camp this summer. I really hope they open at least one spot for Boston's prospects to battle for. Competition in the line up is always a good thing, as we've seen this year and last.

Agree totally, I believe you should leave at least one spot open for a young guy to step up and claim. Sure the 1st 20 games or so might not be so hot but you'll reap the benefits near the end of the season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yandle + Shatty + Okposo means you can't afford to resign one of Marchand/Shatty, even if Seidenberg gets dealt. I'd resign Stempniak for one year and go for two d-men.

Chara Shatty
Yandle McQuaid
Krug Trotman

If I had my way, I'd send a 6th or 7th to NY for Yandle's negotiating rights early.

Get him signed and use Krug rather than Colin Miller as a piece to bring in Shattenkirk.

Chara - Shattenkirk
Yandle - McQuaid
Morrow - C.Miller
Seidenberg - Trotman

Your top 4 is set, and the bottom 4 can be mixed and matched to maximum effect, preferably leaving at least one of Morrow/C.Miller in the line-up at all times. If one of them lays claim to a regular job, than start pairing up the other with them.

If you can't find a taker after the 2017 season for Seidenberg, simply buy him out. I don't think he has any trade value with his current deal.

You then got at least 2 seasons of that veteran top 4. Once Chara's deal is up you hope one or more of the next wave of D-men (Zboril, O'Gara, etc.) are now NHL caliber players, taking over his spot and pushing McQuaid to the 3rd pair.

I'd be cautious about signing any big UFA wingers, Eriksson, Okposo, Ladd, etc. until I know I can afford the raises in 2017 to 63, 51, and 88. Perhaps like you said sign Stempniak to a deal if you can get him on a one-year deal, and approach the 2017 free agency class next deadline or the following summer to get a top winger.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I think there are a lot of factors as to what the Bruins do in the offseason:

1. Where do Grzelcyk, O'Gara, and Chudinov fit on the roster if given a chance this year? Next season? Carlo?

2. I think Krug will be re-signed unless he asks for something ridiculous, but everybody else on D should be made available. I think McQuaid stays and Chara depending on if he would ever waive. Unless something drastic happens, my guess is he stays here until he retires though.

3. See if it is possible to trade for someone like Shattenkirk or Trouba without forking over anyone of importance currently on the roster. Senyshyn, Carlo, Heinen, Gabrielle, and JFK would be the prospects I would have off limits.

4. If you can't do 3, do you potentially move someone like Krejci for a defensemen? Spooner? If the Bruins falter in the playoffs, do we deal Krejci and have Spooner center the 2nd line or do we deal Spooner and still try to make a run with the current core? A 3C will be needed in either scenario.

5. What about our wingers? Sweeney wants to re-sign Eriksson which is something I would not mind. If you can't sign him, you potentially need to find a 2nd line winger. My preference would be to still have Beleskey on the 3rd line, but we'll see. Vatrano may be ready to take a roster spot as well next season.

6. Will Senyshyn be ready? He wants to be a Bruin next season but will he make it? In my opinion, Stempniak is the perfect stop-gap forward until Senyshyn is ready to slot in the roster.

7. Ferraro and Acciari should be fixtures on our 4th line. I would get rid of Connolly. I would also get rid of Hayes, but I'm not sure how likely that is. If Senyshyn makes the roster, Hayes should be on the 4th line. He plays better with players that go to the net and have some jam in their game.

3 weeks and we might have an answer: SKA and Dynamo, semifinals Western Conference (March 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19, 2016).

Regular season: 4 games, Dyn 3 - 1 SKA

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I would not lose a minute of sleep if Colin Miller wasn't re-signed.

Oh I'd say he's here for a bit. I think if they wanted to move him they would have already. He'll be a good go to option next year on the right side for the 2nd or 3rd pairing. I think of the young guys if anyone's out its morrow. Krug has endeared himself to everyone and morrows pretty good so at least he should net a decent return. But ppl need to see him play more to make them aware.

Chudinov is interesting but I can see him needing a season in prov to acclimate himself to the NA rinks game etc. Then move up the following year. Hopefully koko hasn't poisoned the thought of coming over.

2ka RasK*

i believe Grzelcyk still needs to be signed

same situation as Vesey

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Anyone know if the B's were in on trying to sign Dryden Hunt?

I like how our 4th line for next season could already be established with a mix of
Ferraro/acciari/Connolly(or bump him up) and Randell.

Some grittiness but still smooth enougn to chip in some offence when need be. And Randell doesn't mind dropping the mitts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad