Proposal: What to do with RFA's and next season's roster

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Anyone know if the B's were in on trying to sign Dryden Hunt?

I like how our 4th line for next season could already be established with a mix of
Ferraro/acciari/Connolly(or bump him up) and Randell.

Some grittiness but still smooth enougn to chip in some offence when need be. And Randell doesn't mind dropping the mitts.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2016/3...hers-sign-dryden-hunt-to-entry-level-contract

"In a move already widely reported, the Florida Panthers have officially announced the signing of forward Dryden Hunt to to an entry-level contract.

The 20-year-old, undrafted Hunt is currently toiling for the WHL's Moose Jaw Warriors where he has racked up an astounding 50 goals and 52 assists in 63 games. Hunt's monster season is coming after he scored a combined 83 points (33G/50A) for the Regina Pats and Medicine Hat Tigers in 2014-15."

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
could we see liles signed back here on a 1 year deal? I'd move seids and keep liles on a 1 year in a heart beat personally. JML can move up and down the 3 pairings and not look out of place. just hope if DS decides to move on from morrow he gets something of value for him.

Kevan is looking pretty good lately too.... he's a beast, and when he's not in over his head he's a pretty serviceable Dman... I'm not sure we need him and Mcquaid tho....

Yeah I tend to agree with this assessment. Liles has looked way better than I expected. Someone on 98.5 said that Liles is an average defenseman but on the B's he is a standout" that's how bad the rest of the defense is in comparison.

McQuaid is an expensive player to have when we have Killer but McQuaid for now is a steadying force when he's on the ice.
Killer looks way better than he did playing a couple of stations above where he should have been.
I really do hope (too) that they sign Liles to another year as long as this is what we can expect from him. Makes you wonder why they didn't nab him prior to this year. No way in Hell do I want to see them lose either Joe Morrow OR Chiller!!!
Trotman is a JAG as is Killer but at least Killer, if they cut down his minutes and are careful who he's up with and against can contribute IMO. Someone here set me straight on hating on Killer saying that they were playing him too much and too high in the defensive rotation. I wish I could remember who it was because it was a great point that taught me something that was staring me in the face that I didn't recognize so I stand corrected!

Last edited:

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Starting to wonder if trotman is feeling the squeeze of having to perform... looked stiff last night and not making many good plays lately... he could be trade fodder in a couple months... love to see morrow get another solid look tonight.

lots of interesting options going into next season should we decide to keep stemp and liles... maybe move seids/trotman/koko as a package deal

still in the hunt for a chara partner...

kind of starting to wonder if K miller may be be back next year?? at a lesser role he'd started to look pretty good like the old K miller... does that make mcquaid expendable?

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
http://www.litterboxcats.com/2016/3...hers-sign-dryden-hunt-to-entry-level-contract

"In a move already widely reported, the Florida Panthers have officially announced the signing of forward Dryden Hunt to to an entry-level contract.

The 20-year-old, undrafted Hunt is currently toiling for the WHL's Moose Jaw Warriors where he has racked up an astounding 50 goals and 52 assists in 63 games. Hunt's monster season is coming after he scored a combined 83 points (33G/50A) for the Regina Pats and Medicine Hat Tigers in 2014-15."

I know the panthers signed him, but i never heard any association with the him and the bruins... just wondering why they wouldn't try and nab the kid?

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
who says they haven`t?

well he signed with Florida, but on tsn they only named a few teams talking to him.... I'm not saying the B's never approached him i was just seeing if anyone knew anymore to the story as I personally never heard of their involvement. maybe someone like Dom knows if the FO wasn't high on the kid or something.... maybe they're keeping options open to take a run at Vesey.... could be why they're trading roster players away for "future considerations" just to allow for additional contracts to be signed.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I know the panthers signed him, but i never heard any association with the him and the bruins... just wondering why they wouldn't try and nab the kid?

Sweeney may be the one that keeps his cards closest vs. Chiarelli. I'm not sure we'll know what he was "trying" to do in any situation until after the fact. I'm almost certain no one (or a very few) even posted Stempniak or Liles were targets or discussion was being had over them.

I guess we won't know unless someone knows that kid personally to ask.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Do we have anyone that can knock Chara down to 2nd pairing mins next season? at 39/40 I think he's a good leader and all that but I'd really like to see him averge 18-20 mins. is there a guy we can sign? Yandle? can Yandle work top pairing mins in Boston?

Yandle-?X?
Chara-CHiller
Krug-Mcquaid
ex:morrow

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Do we have anyone that can knock Chara down to 2nd pairing mins next season? at 39/40 I think he's a good leader and all that but I'd really like to see him averge 18-20 mins. is there a guy we can sign? Yandle? can Yandle work top pairing mins in Boston?

Yandle-?X?
Chara-CHiller
Krug-Mcquaid
ex:morrow

We need 2 defensemen for next year. Not just 1. Krug is going to want 5m. IMO he's not a Top 3 and shouldn't get paid like one. Especially, since we have some young skill for 3rd pair. Morrow and C. Miller. Grzelcyk coming.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
We need 2 defensemen for next year. Not just 1. Krug is going to want 5m. IMO he's not a Top 3 and shouldn't get paid like one. Especially, since we have some young skill for 3rd pair. Morrow and C. Miller. Grzelcyk coming.

so are you on the trade krug train? I'm not opposed to hit if it help bring in a guy like trouba for top pairing on the right side!

i've never been sold on krug as a legit #3 guy... he brings a lot to the table but i agree that 5M ish is a lot for him... but he's producing pts from the back end... but I'd move him+ something for trouba. but what's your 2nd pairing? morrow/mcquaid or seids/chiller? maybe max C makes an appearance... should an interesting offseason for development on the back end.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Krug has been very solid this year, while his offense has been suffering a bit he is still an above average puck moving D who is starting to show leadership qualities as well. Add Yandle and resign Liles and the D isn't that bad.
Chara-Yandle
Krug-McQuaid
Liles-Morrow/Miller or Miller.

Not Montreal's big three from the 70's but still decent. Also still have Carlo and Zboril in the system and the 2 first round picks from this year.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
so are you on the trade krug train? I'm not opposed to hit if it help bring in a guy like trouba for top pairing on the right side!

i've never been sold on krug as a legit #3 guy... he brings a lot to the table but i agree that 5M ish is a lot for him... but he's producing pts from the back end... but I'd move him+ something for trouba. but what's your 2nd pairing? morrow/mcquaid or seids/chiller? maybe max C makes an appearance... should an interesting offseason for development on the back end.

Yeah, I'm kicking the tires on Trouba and S. Jones. Willing to include Krug. We might be ok if we had a younger Chara and could
hide him a little.

Also, willing to offer St Louis a Lucic-type package for Shattenkirk. We'd have enough cap space for both. If we don't re-up Krug and trade/buyout Seids.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Krug has been very solid this year, while his offense has been suffering a bit he is still an above average puck moving D who is starting to show leadership qualities as well. Add Yandle and resign Liles and the D isn't that bad.
Chara-Yandle
Krug-McQuaid
Liles-Morrow/Miller or Miller.

Not Montreal's big three from the 70's but still decent. Also still have Carlo and Zboril in the system and the 2 first round picks from this year.

We are worse defensively with that line-up. IMO. Chara a year older. I don't think Krug and Yandle are all that good defensively.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
If you had to choose, which would you rather have on the roster, Hayes or Connolly?

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
If you had to choose, which would you rather have on the roster, Hayes or Connolly?

For right now I like Hayes on the third and Connolly on the fourth, if we can fix the D situation I might reassess the forward situation, but right now I think there is a spot for both on the team.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015

for the price they cost right now if kept in a bottom 6 role I keep them both. their numbers aren't horrific if kept on the bottom two lines. connolly needs to learn to go to better spots on the ice to open him up for better scoring chances.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Should DS look at moving on from two Kevan Miller Seidenberg and Mcquaid in the offseason??

can keep trotman and say K Miller (mcquaid's 2.75M could probably be moved). I guess we'd need to pick sweeneys brain to see if he plans on keeping morrow/c miller and krug as part of the 6 on the back end... that's a lot of puck moving guys that aren't super well known for their defensive games. and you can't have any of those 3 paired together under CJ's regime (which is fine) so who goes? who fetches the best return?

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I would try hard for two good young defensemen like Trouba and Shattenkirk with offers like

Koko, Debrusk, Morrow and 1st and Krug, Hayes, Griffith and 1st

If all goes well with their play the rest of the year I would look at resigning Stempniak and Liles.

Hoping the bruins add some college free agents including Vesey.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Joe Morrow: Showed HUGE improvement; try to re-sign him.

Colin Miller: In Claude's doghouse but will be a player. re-sign him.

Seth griffith: I'm gonna defer this one...

Alex Khokhlachev: No roster spot for him so... See you later, alligator

Brian Ferlin: See you later, alligator

Brett Connolly: Lack of finish is a killer; we have a TON of bottom 6 forwards. See you later, alligator

Torey Krug: I like him a lot but money might be an issue. Highly related to what Sweeney will do before the draft, IMHO.

Zach Trotman: Limited, bottom pairing guy. See you later, alligator

Landon Ferraro: Prove to be useful. Good on PK and bring element of speed on 4th line. Depending on the money, re-sign.

Kevan Miller/McQuaid. Bruins can't have both of them in the lineup. Like McQuaid a lot even if he's more expensive so... Kevan Miller, See you later, alligator

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I'm actually inclined to keep Connolly now.

IMO, I think everyone has realized he's not going to be an effective goal scorer in this league, but he's an effective 2 way player that won't hurt you that much in the defensive zone.

You could keep him on the 4th line and he could become our new version of Dan Paille.

His play on the 4th line has been great.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

IMO, I think everyone has realized he's not going to be an effective goal scorer in this league, but he's an effective 2 way player that won't hurt you that much in the defensive zone.

You could keep him on the 4th line and he could become our new version of Dan Paille.

That's the only spot for him. Stempniak prove that Connolly was way over his head with #37/63.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal

Not disagreeing with you but OTOH you have more and more kids like Acciari pushing for spots. I know Connolly is a kid himself but he had his chance, i'd say: time to see other guys now.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Not disagreeing with you but OTOH you have more and more kids like Acciari pushing for spots. I know Connolly is a kid himself but he had his chance, i'd say: time to see other guys now.

You do have other kids, but if you look at anyone on that 4th line today, I'd take Connolly over anyone else.

IMO, Ferraro is gone and is nothing more then a 13th forward next year if someone else takes his spot next year.

Acciari is good, but again, he's only done this for a few games..until he strings together a good stretch of games, he hasn't guaranteed anything.

Connolly is good because he can easily move into a top 9 role should someone else get hurt.

With Vatrano for example, I wound't want that kid just playing on our 4th line...let him develop in the farm.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
That's the only spot for him. Stempniak prove that Connolly was way over his head with #37/63.

He is a good plug though, he is quick enough and defensively responsible enough to fill in on a higher line if need be. Has a goal in very limited minutes on the 4th as well.

Connolly is young and on the upswing as well as cost controlled, currently can play in the NHL, hits and puts forth a ton of effort. I dont see any reason he wouldn't be a good 4th line forward next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad