Proposal: What to do with RFA's and next season's roster

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
with the TDL behind us and a run at trying to make the PO we're pretty much set for the next couple months.

how will our roster shape up for next season??

will Loui Eriksson walk away for a bigger pay day? will we see talbot/liles/stempniak/kempainen back? which RFA's do we qualify or give contracts to?

here are some of the higher profile RFA's Don has to figure out in the coming months

Joe Morrow
Colin Miller
Seth griffith
Alex Khokhlachev
Brian Ferlin
Brett Connolly
Torey Krug
Zach Trotman
Landon Ferraro

so far a peek into next season lineup there are some holes that could be plugged by some of these RFA... or do we source out some depth via UFA signings and keep the kids in Providence.

Marchand-Bergeron-XXX
Belesky-Krecji-Pasta
XXX-Spooner-Hayes
XXX-XXX-XXX

Chara-XX
XX(Krug)--Mcquaid
Seidenberg-XX

how many of these guys who for arguments sake deserve a look at the big club should sweeney concern himself with keeping?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don't forget Randell whose also RFA.

But I don't see any reason right now why those 9 RFAs you listed and Randell wouldn't at least receive qualifying offers to at least retain their rights, even Koko if he decides to bolt for the KHL.

All of them with the exception maybe of Ferlin (I could very well be wrong about this) would have to clear waivers next Sept. if they didn't make the club out of camp.

If you include Rinaldo and Vatrano, they have 10 forwards signed through next season. So of the 6 forward RFAs not all of them will be in Boston. Even if both Stempniak and Eriksson walk after this season, Bruins could still ice a competitive forward group with the best 14 of 16 guys they have left. And that not including any other young guys like Czarnik, Senhyshyn, etc. So look at it this way (note these aren't meant to be line combos, just a list of forwards)

Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Belseky - Krejci - Pastrnak
Vatrano - Spooner - Hayes
Rinaldo - Acciari - Ferraro

Extras: Randell, Griffith

AHL: Ferlin
KHL: Koko

Chara - McQuaid
Krug - Seidenberg
Morrow - C.Miller

Extra: Trotman

Rask
Subban

So that's the base Sweeney has to work with. Now it's up to him to try an upgrade on this group through signings and trades. Not a bad place to start though, although the D is still not good.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I'm still a little boggled that Sweeney didn't try and sell Koko at the deadline... a bit of a rift between the two groups and I'm sure there's teams out there who'd love to have koko as a 3rd line center right now. now maybe he bolts to the K and we're left with nothing.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Aside from Krug, I wouldn't be heartbroken if all of them are gone.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I'm still a little boggled that Sweeney didn't try and sell Koko at the deadline... a bit of a rift between the two groups and I'm sure there's teams out there who'd love to have koko as a 3rd line center right now. now maybe he bolts to the K and we're left with nothing.

I think DS will try to trade both Koko and Griffith near or at the draft for picks.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I think he tries to move Griffith, Koko and two of Chiller, Trotman and Morrow as there is just not enough room and all require waivers. Ferraro and Connolly are likely here and playing, same with the remaining D choice.

Ferlin is whatever.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

My guess is that he wants to have him for a playoff run and so Providence can win some playoff games and get everyone some experience.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
could we use koko as 3rd line center next year?

i think a top D upgrade via is going to come at the cost of spooner. the B's are pretty deep at C and spooner is cost controlled for another year. should they be looking to flip spooner for a trouba/dumba type and use Koko on the main roster?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Aside from Krug, I wouldn't be heartbroken if all of them are gone.

Me neither. All those guys can get 1 year deals around what they make now. Better options than signing the over the hill Gregory Campbell's and Stephan Yelle's of the world as UFAs.

I'd play hardball with Krug and demand he take a team friendly long term deal just incase he has a monster year next year and commands big bucks. Refuse to give him a 1 year deal make him take something like 5 years 20 mil.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Personally I'd try to hang onto all of them except for Trotman and Ferlin. Ferlin ia a dime a dozen player, who I do like, but he just doesn't have a spot on this team. Trotman does nothing for me.

Griffith and Koko are potential trade chips. I'd hang onto them and look to deal. Morrow, C Miller, Connolly, and Krug are re-signs, though I think one of Morrow/Miller get moved.

Ferarro is interesting. I like what he brings, and I've liked his game for the most part, but he is someone who absolutely can be replaced with a younger guy. That being said, I keep him if the price is right.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
As much as I want to keep Koko and see him succeed; he's pretty much done.

I see him being unloaded for a pick this summer; perhaps one we can use at the draft.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
with a lot of D choices waiting in the wings (O'gara,Grzelcyk(sp), Arnusson) does that make morrow/krug more expendable to DS to try and land a top Rh dman? bring in an RFA like Trouba or Dumba at the cost of Krug+ knowing you have other LH options in the system?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'd play hardball with Krug and demand he take a team friendly long term deal just incase he has a monster year next year and commands big bucks. Refuse to give him a 1 year deal make him take something like 5 years 20 mil.

I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that Krug isn't taking a 5 year/20 million deal. That's a raise of 600k going into the beginning of prime years for him. I'd love to get him on that contract, but I highly doubt that happens.

Think more along the lines of 5/25.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
with a lot of D choices waiting in the wings (O'gara,Grzelcyk(sp), Arnusson) does that make morrow/krug more expendable to DS to try and land a top Rh dman? bring in an RFA like Trouba or Dumba at the cost of Krug+ knowing you have other LH options in the system?

I personally dont see Krug or Morrow going.

Trotman/Miller yes.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I personally dont see Krug or Morrow going.

Trotman/Miller yes.

are you referring to colin or kevan?

kevan should be shown the door... what is colins place tho? 3rd pairing? you need someone to play with Chara either picked as FA or via trade but then you can't have morrow and colin on the same pairing... so something's gotta give.... this is also under the impression that seidenberg is moved

Chara-XX
Krug-Mcquaid
morrow/seids-colin?

colins still out if they keep seids as you would then run

chara-x
krug-mcquaid
morrow-seids

unless they really commit to colin miller as their top pairing guy.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that Krug isn't taking a 5 year/20 million deal. That's a raise of 600k going into the beginning of prime years for him. I'd love to get him on that contract, but I highly doubt that happens.

The average cost of a #3D is $4M. Average of a #4D, $3M. Obviously that goes up a little bit every new contract. While his points are good, but his minutes and lack of PK might keep him in check. $4.25M avg is my guess

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
are you referring to colin or kevan?

kevan should be shown the door... what is colins place tho? 3rd pairing? you need someone to play with Chara either picked as FA or via trade but then you can't have morrow and colin on the same pairing... so something's gotta give.... this is also under the impression that seidenberg is moved

Chara-XX
Krug-Mcquaid
morrow/seids-colin?

colins still out if they keep seids as you would then run

chara-x
krug-mcquaid
morrow-seids

unless they really commit to colin miller as their top pairing guy.

Yes, I was referring to K.Miller.

With the way the team is structured, he has no place on the roster next year...unless he somehow puts things together and does a terrific job.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Joe Morrow - sign
Colin Miller - sign
Seth griffith - trade
Alex Khokhlachev - trade
Brian Ferlin - haven't heard much from him... he played well last year. probably sign.
Brett Connolly - sign
Torey Krug - sign
Zach Trotman - see if you can get a late pick for him, otherwise walk
Landon Ferraro - walk, invite as a PTO if no one offers him a contract in the offseason

If they believe Griffith will make the team FULL TIME then sign him, but he loses waiver eligibility and he's worth something, so if not, package him with something for a better prospect/picks.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
would there be backlash for a spooner+krug for trouba trade?

you have Koko step in as 3rd line C
morrow plays 3rd pairing with mcquaid

both players cost you 1M or less for next season. then you have 6M to pay trouba who plays tops with Chara

Chara-Trouba
Seids-C miller
Morrow-Mcquaid

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Joe Morrow - sign
Colin Miller - sign
Seth griffith - trade
Alex Khokhlachev - trade
Brian Ferlin - haven't heard much from him... he played well last year. probably sign.
Brett Connolly - sign
Torey Krug - sign
Landon Ferraro - walk, invite as a PTO if no one offers him a contract in the offseason

If they believe Griffith will make the team FULL TIME then sign him, but he loses waiver eligibility and he's worth something, so if not, package him with something for a better prospect/picks.

Why so sour on Ferraro? I think he's a perfect 4th liner and can actually pot a few. His PK skills are improving greatly too

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Joe Morrow - sign
Colin Miller - sign
Seth griffith - trade
Alex Khokhlachev - trade
Brett Connolly - sign
Torey Krug - sign

Ferlin has been out most of the year with an injury. I would guess that they will re-sign him to a cheap deal.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

He has not played like a 5 mil a year player this year. But with his offensive skills the guy can have a monster year at any point and up his pay into the 5-6 or more range. I think our PP needs him though and would take a big step back if he left. And I think going forward he will put up way more points than he has this season.

You overpay the guy and hes going to be in the situation he was this year having too much responsibility and his game and offense suffering because of it. Not saying he has been bad but this was the season where he could demonstrate being able to handle a bigger role and when placed in one his offense dissapears and his play is just average.

Again I'd just refuse to give him a 1 year deal tell him if he wants 1 year hes getting a paycut and playing for 2.5 after being mediocre this year he either takes a team friendly deal longterm, 1 year paycut, or learns to yodel.:yo:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Until they know what they have in the likes of Grz, O'Gara, Arnesson, and Zboril, it's tough to justify moving Morrow or Krug, especially Krug, and pinning hopes on one of these guys being able to step in right away and contribute as NHL regular's, especially considering 3 of them have zero to very little NA pro experience. Pretty big gamble by Sweeney if he did that.

If Krug and Morrow are the "Mark Stuart" of the situation, Gryz, O'Gara, Arnesson and Zboril are the "Adam McQuaids". Until one of them steps up and PROVES he can fill that spot, like McQuaid did in 2010-11 and made Stuart expendable, you have to keep the more established guys unless they have some other short-term back-up plan to fill those roles.

Just another reason why it's a shame that 3/4 through the season, and they still can't depend on Morrow, C.Miller, or Trotman as regular everyday NHL d-men going into next season. And we're not likely to find out at this late stage in the middle of a playoff race.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think it all hinges on Krug, the Bruins have to decide if he is a #2/#3 guy that is worth about 5 million per year.

Griffith & Koko will probably be traded, the others I think will be re-signed on the cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad