What to do with Morrissey

Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m just praying Chevy does not bridge Morrissey.... that would be the worst

To keep the team together he has to bridge someone, you can't give a longterm deal to every talented player.

Morrissey should be a low risk player to sign shortterm, I doubt he explodes offensively in the next few seasons.

Reactions: Spock

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
To keep the team together he has to bridge someone, you can't give a longterm deal to every talented player.

Morrissey should be a low risk player to sign shortterm, I doubt he explodes offensively in the next few seasons.
I know they are but I would like for them to lock up one of the cornerstone Defense men to along term deal just in case in 2 years he’s on the pp and those point totals also because Trouba scared me and I just bought a morrissey jersey :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I know they are but I would like for them to lock up one of the cornerstone Defense men to along term deal just in case in 2 years he’s on the pp and those point totals also because Trouba scared me and I just bought a morrissey jersey :laugh:

But then you'd have to look for bridge with Connor who's playing constantly with some of the best players in the World.
70-80 point Connor in his prime is expensive as hell to sign.

Would help though to know the numbers Morrissey is looking for.

Fully agree. In fact I wouldn’t have signed Wheels until Morrissey, Laine and Connor were signed. I really think Chevy handcuffed himself with that Wheeler signing

I would still argue against that.

Last edited:

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
But then you'd have to look for bridge with Connor who's playing constantly with some of the best players in the World.
70-80 point Connor in his prime is expensive as hell to sign.

Would help though to know the numbers Morrissey is looking for.
I’d hope they get hik for5.3-5.8 range I think would be fair for him and I agree with Connor but I would like to see him produce at the rate more than just last season which he probably will but the Jets have a very strong wingers but not so much on the LHD

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’d hope they get hik for5.3-5.8 range I think would be fair for him and I agree with Connor but I would like to see him produce at the rate more than just last season which he probably will but the Jets have a very strong wingers but not so much on the LHD

Connor doesn't get signed now, and if he continues to play well he should be locked up longterm to avoid having to sign 1st line winger in his early pirme.

That shounds high for Morrissey with Slavin making 5.3M for the next 7 years, defensive D-men are the cheapest to sign, vs skilled forwards& offensive D-men.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with Connor but like you said someone will have to get bridge and with Morrissey similar to Trouba he can argue he doesn’t get the pp time to produce the big numbers
I think biggest reason is that Trouba and Jmo see prices going way up, cap will keep rising, contracts will be far higher in a few years. That's aside from their play. I think that's what they're banking on.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
I think biggest reason is that Trouba and Jmo see prices going way up, cap will keep rising, contracts will be far higher in a few years. That's aside from their play. I think that's what they're banking on.
True with contacts will go up with the cap but I don’t think there will be another big cap increase soon I just hope the Jets can work out a fair long term deal

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It will interesting to see what the contract is shaped like.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
True with contacts will go up with the cap but I don’t think there will be another big cap increase soon I just hope the Jets can work out a fair long term deal
Also. I think Jmo should be on PP1 personally. Will he get any PP time during his bridge with Buff, Myers and Trouba here? Probably not much at least till his second year. So I don't think his points balloon much from pp time.

Reactions: Oseductive

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I don't think 4 million is a overpay for Morrissey , far from it . And you never know about people's ego in stuff like this , i don't think Morrissey is like that but maybe his agent has one . This probably isn't why Morrissey still isn't signed but i wouldn't have started on Wheeler's contract until Morrissey was signed .

Hey, I like Morrissey as much as the next guy but he has 46 career points. Plus he’s played with byfuglien or trouba the whole time. Trouba had more points his first two years in almost 40 less games playing with Mark Stuart.

If trouba got 3M, Morrisey probably deserves 2.5M plus cap inflation, purely from a production standpoint.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I’m just praying Chevy does not bridge Morrissey.... that would be the worst
Bridge deals are an effective strategy in my opinion. Of course its contingent on having a good pipeline and drafting well. If a player won't sign a long term deal that allows the team to contend, then take the "cheap" rfa years and then move on.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hey, I like Morrissey as much as the next guy but he has 46 career points. Plus he’s played with byfuglien or trouba the whole time. Trouba had more points his first two years in almost 40 less games playing with Mark Stuart.

If trouba got 3M, Morrisey probably deserves 2.5M plus cap inflation, purely from a production standpoint.
I agree with you about his offensive production up to now but i think he is our best and smartest defensive defenseman right now . I think his offensive production is going to go up when he gets more PP time .

Reactions: Bigfish

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Fully agree. In fact I wouldn’t have signed Wheels until Morrissey, Laine and Connor were signed. I really think Chevy handcuffed himself with that Wheeler signing
I agree with the notion, but it's not that easy. I would have started negotiations with all 4 of them, and signed whoever was willing to give the most team-friendly contract first. That would maintain the precedent set by Scheifele and made it harder for the others to feel entitled. The team may have thought it was important to nail Wheeler down first; they may have thought Morrissey would be easy; they may have thought they wanted to bridge Connor and sign Laine long-term...but you never know.
That's why I asked hypothetically many months ago, in the Connor thread, whether people would be willing to sign him LT before Laine IF he was willing to take a team-friendly deal and Laine wasn't.
You never know how these things are going to roll out and you have to be nimble.
Do I think Chevy suffered from 'premature capitulation' in the Wheeler contract? Yes. Do I think that is part of the reason he is feeling chagrined and therefore being more hard-line in the Morrissey negotiations? Maybe.
Do I think Chevy is a bad GM because he doesn't follow our HF advice to a tee? Nope, I think he's a great GM in a hard, hard business.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I do not believe that Wheeler's contract has anything to do with the Morrissey contract.

Reactions: Saintb

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
And Winnipeg

Roslovic, Petan > Hendricks, Matthias

2018 Laine, Connor, Ehlers > 2017 Laine, Connor, Ehlers

Vegas added our 2C and Pacioretty. Toronto added Tavares. San Jose added Karlsson.

We are just banking on internal growth, but even standing pat would have been better for us. Instead we actively got rid of our backup goalie in an attempt to clear space which was either too little or too much (nobody is signing), and lost Stastny, Armia and Enström. Also we almost surely lost Trouba, and now look at the shenanigans with Morrissey.

It was NOT a successful offseason :(

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Vegas added our 2C and Pacioretty. Toronto added Tavares. San Jose added Karlsson.

We are just banking on internal growth, but even standing pat would have been better for us. Instead we actively got rid of our backup goalie in an attempt to clear space which was either too little or too much (nobody is signing), and lost Stastny, Armia and Enström. Also we almost surely lost Trouba, and now look at the shenanigans with Morrissey.

It was NOT a successful offseason :(

You don't want to stray from your plan based solely on other teams making a big move.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hendricks and Mathias killed penalties and scored more than Petan
We have better PKers than either Hendricks of Matthias.

Sorry, but Petan is better than both of them. Just give him a bit of time. If he had played with Perreault and Armia like Hendricks, I think he would have been quite productive.

Matthias was awful last season. Just awful.

Reactions: jgimp and Spock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad