Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree usually but in the terms of Morrissey and Connor we take on just as much risk if they break out even more. You give Connor or Morrissey a bridge now and you will surely pay for it later. Nashville did it pretty good with their young dmen. Pay them decently on a mid range deal 4-7 years and then when they come off they won't be asking for big money deals into UFA. Josi was a good one. After his ELC they gave him a 7 year deal worth $4 per season. Surely he will get paid more when it expires but he won't be looking to make up for getting underpaid through his first deal and you got him for a good period of time at a good cap hit that allowed you to contend.

If we signed Morrissey to a similar deal. Josi signed then for 6.25% of the cap. Today that would be $4,968,750 over 7 years.

I don’t know how all the pieces come together in the future and what they need to do now with guys like a Morrissey and Connor to fit it all in over the next 2-3 seasons but if we could get Josh long term at 6.25% of the current cap I would be pretty happy.

Reactions: blues10 and Daximus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t know how all the pieces come together in the future and what they need to do now with guys like a Morrissey and Connor to fit it all in over the next 2-3 seasons but if we could get Josh long term at 6.25% of the current cap I would be pretty happy.

Hell yeah I hope we can get it done.

Reactions: ps241

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
At this point, I just want Morrissey to sign. Give him a bridge deal, if that is what it takes to get him to camp. It may cost the Jets more to sign him in a couple of years, but players like Morrissey don't grow on trees.

Reactions: GNP and Trilliann

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He would be signed by now if he agreed to that.

Reactions: ps241

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Worrisome. Chevy is being tested. And more important contracts to come. Don't want the team to be dismantled before winning a couple cups.

:(

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Wouldnt it be crazy if all of the sudden, Josh is the one traded and Trouba signs long term?..... that would blow the minds of everyone lol

Reactions: Oseductive

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
I Like the example for contracts Chevy is setting with Lowry, Schef, Ehlers, Poolman and & even Trouba. Chevy will pay them fair contracts and we also take care of our vets. He will not get run over by kids holding out to get inflated wages. I really really like Morrissey but I'm ok with Chevy waiting him out. We have a bunch of young great quality players & salaries accross the league are getting a little out of control. If Chevy has to wait to keep Morrissey at a fair long term price for both sides then so be it. If we want to stay a contender, you have to manage your RFA's.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know how true it is but I heard that the issue is Morrissey wants a bridge and the Jets want a longer term deal. Neither side seems to be budging on it yet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know how true it is but I heard that the issue is Morrissey wants a bridge and the Jets want a longer term deal. Neither side seems to be budging on it yet.

That doesn't surprise me. It depends who will flinch first. The team has the leverage so I'd say It is still more likely that Josh is inked to a long term deal at some point. The question is how long is Josh prepared to hold out. I'm going to guess since he is in the city that he won't want to miss any regular season games so I'd say it's still more likely then not he is inked sometime in the next week.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That doesn't surprise me. It depends who will flinch first. The team has the leverage so I'd say It is still more likely that Josh is inked to a long term deal at some point. The question is how long is Josh prepared to hold out. I'm going to guess since he is in the city that he won't want to miss any regular season games so I'd say it's still more likely then not he is inked sometime in the next week.

From what I've heard, and again take it with a grain of salt, the Jets and Morrissey have already agreed on a price point. The main issue seems to be the term involved. My source told me that the team thinks Morrissey's camp will eventually break as it seems he's eager to hit the ice. Take this all with a grain of salt though as it's a "my source has a source" type of thing.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I Like the example for contracts Chevy is setting with Lowry, Schef, Ehlers, Poolman and & even Trouba. Chevy will pay them fair contracts and we also take care of our vets. He will not get run over by kids holding out to get inflated wages. I really really like Morrissey but I'm ok with Chevy waiting him out. We have a bunch of young great quality players & salaries accross the league are getting a little out of control. If Chevy has to wait to keep Morrissey at a fair long term price for both sides then so be it. If we want to stay a contender, you have to manage your RFA's.
Our D going forward without both Morrisey and Trouba looks “ interesting “
Gotta sign one of them preferably both.

Reactions: Tommigun

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From what I've heard, and again take it with a grain of salt, the Jets and Morrissey have already agreed on a price point. The main issue seems to be the term involved. My source told me that the team thinks Morrissey's camp will eventually break as it seems he's eager to hit the ice. Take this all with a grain of salt though as it's a "my source has a source" type of thing.

Well there is a lot of logic in what your source is reporting so Hopefully it comes to fruition sooner than later.

It's good that they agree on price point it means that the rest should come together fairly quickly once one side moves off their stance. Although I find it curious that they can agree on price point and not term. One would think the price point changes with the length of term.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Well there is a lot of logic in what your source is reporting so Hopefully it comes to fruition sooner than later.

It's good that they agree on price point it means that the rest should come together fairly quickly once one side moves off their stance. Although I find it curious that they can agree on price point and not term. One would think the price point changes with the length of term.
It could mean that a bridge deal is off the table, the AAV is agreed to at, eg, 5.5 M and Morrissey's camp want 6 years, where Chevy wants 8.

I'm seeing 5.5x7 coming up this week.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It could mean that a bridge deal is off the table, the AAV is agreed to at, eg, 5.5 M and Morrissey's camp want 6 years, where Chevy wants 8.

I'm seeing 5.5x7 coming up this week.

Yeah I could see that as well. I have long thought it would be 7 years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

That's what I said. But apparantly they have agreed on a price point for both a bridge and a long term deal. Which seems odd if they don't want one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's what I said. But apparantly they have agreed on a price point for both a bridge and a long term deal. Which seems odd if they don't want one.

Yeah that is curious that they have agreed on a long term amount if they are hell bent on a bridge. I'm trying to see the strategy here other then maybe they are completly fine with a long term deal but hope they team tries to compromise on a 5-6 year deal at that amount and not for say 7-8 years like Scelaton suggested.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The problem is Morrissey spent all last season taking lessons from the Trouba School of Contract Negotiation.

Well the Trouba school is to not negotiate at all so it seems he was only partially paying attention :p.

I still say it comes back to out dmen not being utilized correctly by our coaching staff. Until Maurice figures it out we are likely to continue to have issues reupoing our prime young defenders.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Well the Trouba school is to not negotiate at all so it seems he was only partially paying attention :p.

I still say it comes back to out dmen not being utilized correctly by our coaching staff. Until Maurice figures it out we are likely to continue to have issues reupoing our prime young defenders.

The jets had the second most points during the regular season, made it to the wester conference finals and had one of the best PP in the league.

Seems like the defense was working well to be.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The jets had the second most points during the regular season, made it to the wester conference finals and had one of the best PP in the league.

Seems like the defense was working well to be.
Don't forget 5th in team defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad