• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Vegas added our 2C and Pacioretty. Toronto added Tavares. San Jose added Karlsson.

We are just banking on internal growth, but even standing pat would have been better for us. Instead we actively got rid of our backup goalie in an attempt to clear space which was either too little or too much (nobody is signing), and lost Stastny, Armia and Enström. Also we almost surely lost Trouba, and now look at the shenanigans with Morrissey.

It was NOT a successful offseason :(

Fear not my friend. Our window is much more open than many teams. Teams like the Pens, Sharks and Kings are getting up there in age.

Thornton, Pavelski, Burns and Vlasic are all north of 30. Some well north. This may very well be SJ's last kick at the can. Unless they go really deep I can't see EK resigning there when he can basically have his pick of the litter in FA.

We just have to be patient and play the long game. We are still filtering in a lot of prospects like Rosie, Niku, Appleton, Lemieux and potentially Vesalainen. With a few more on the horizon yet. With guys like Dano and Petan who are hoping to breakout and earn a spot.

I know the media is pumping this as our season. I don't know how many times I've seen us picked as Cup champs. But fear not as we are still turning a corner which bodes really well for us.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vegas added our 2C and Pacioretty. Toronto added Tavares. San Jose added Karlsson.

We are just banking on internal growth, but even standing pat would have been better for us. Instead we actively got rid of our backup goalie in an attempt to clear space which was either too little or too much (nobody is signing), and lost Stastny, Armia and Enström. Also we almost surely lost Trouba, and now look at the shenanigans with Morrissey.

Internal growth is good, when you are at the stage the Jets are at.

Also...

Pacioretty + Stastny = 33 goals, 57 assists (90 points) in 146 games (0.62 points / game).
Neal + Perron = 41 goals, 69 assists (110 points) in 141 games (0.78 points/game).

I know that Pacioretty and Stastny are better than Neal and Perron, but remember that they need to replace offense for those two, who had great seasons (career season for Perron) with Vegas last season. If Patches and Stastny score a combined 0.80 points / game, they will just replace the Neal / Perron offense.

I think that the biggest improvements have been in Toronto and SJ. They really improved with top-echelon UFAs. Also, I think Kane is a big add for SJ. They need to compensate somewhat for inevitable regression of Thornton, and perhaps Pavelski.

Reactions: Tommigun

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Internal growth is good, when you are at the stage the Jets are at.

Also...

Pacioretty + Stastny = 33 goals, 57 assists (90 points) in 146 games (0.62 points / game).
Neal + Perron = 41 goals, 69 assists (110 points) in 141 games (0.78 points/game).

I know that Pacioretty and Stastny are better than Neal and Perron, but remember that they need to replace offense for those two, who had great seasons (career season for Perron) with Vegas last season. If Patches and Stastny score a combined 0.80 points / game, they will just replace the Neal / Perron offense.

I think that the biggest improvements have been in Toronto and SJ. They really improved with top-echelon UFAs. Also, I think Kane is a big add for SJ. They need to compensate somewhat for inevitable regression of Thornton, and perhaps Pavelski.

I think Thornton may retire after this year. Pavelski is getting up there and has benefited from Thornton for a long time. They are a decent team.
Their defence has he best puck moving defencemen in the game. Burns is easily the biggest volume shooting defencemen in the league. And Vlasic may well be the best defender in his own end in the NHL. Their forward core is pretty top heavy. Kane - Thornton - Pavelski and Hertl - Couture - Meier round out their top 6. They are really banking on Suomela being able to anchor their bottom 6 at C. Obviously Martin has ascended into a great starting goalie whose play propelled them to a Cup final not long ago. The only issue I see with that team is their bottom 6 and potentially aging being a factor.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Yet the Jets are still being talked about as contenders.

I don't think there are any Morrissey shenanigans. Have you seen the RFAs cuttencur un-signed? This isn't an unusual thing.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't think Chevy "wanted" to go to arbitration, but I believe he thought that if it did that he'd be the winner.

No one saw that arbitration award happening. No one.

Everyone here thought a bridge deal would be FAR less. $5.5-$6 million was supposed to be the long term deal.

No one can blame Chevy for offering fair market value to Trouba.

The problem that he now faces is that the market has changed & the dominos have fallen into the Morrissey signing.

what? he's a top pairing dman. Your being foolish if you think you can sign your top pairing dman long term for 5.5 mil. I very much disagree. I saw that arb happening from a mile away. 5.5 for one year is not a high award.

If people really think 5.5 was a "high" award then they have just as much trouble valuing dmen as chevy does. he's already post bridge, therefore a long term deal eats up way more UFA years then an initial long term deal (like schiefele's) would have, thus making it more expensive.

He did not offer Trouba close to market value. 5.5 is barely market value.

6 mil a year for multiple ufa years of a top pairing dman is just silly.

Reactions: kxx

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
@Grind just drop him into second pair. Problem solved.

The problem Jets are having right now with their D is that they kind of have four "top pairing D". You can't pay all of them 7 million, and also they aren't worth that. Morrissey is not worth of 7 million. Not yet, at least. He was not TOP-3 D for the Jets in playoffs. He also needs more offence to be that expensive.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

The problem Jets are having right now with their D is that they kind of have four "top pairing D". You can't pay all of them 7 million, and also they aren't worth that. Morrissey is not worth of 7 million. Not yet, at least. He was not TOP-3 D for the Jets in playoffs. He also needs more offence to be that expensive.
they don't have 4 top pairing dmen. ALSO: there's a lot of room between "4 million is an overpay" and "7 mil". that's quite the jump.

hard to get offense as a dman when your not on the powerplay.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I disagree Morrissey was a beast for us all year last year. He's easily bar none our best defender in his own zone which still has a price tag. He's not worth $7 but he is assuredly worth at least $5. People need to keep in mind that the cap went up a lot as well this off-season. Player salaries will not stay static. A guy who was worth $6 mil two years ago could easily command $7 now.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
uhmmm.... 2 years ago....after holding and missing games.....and demanding a trade...
3 mill is about max for bridge deals for good dmen 2 years ago. 4 mill for a bridge today is obscene. Won't happen. Morrissey isn't a ufa nor does he have arb rights like kulikov otherwise he would get more then kulikov and why he would get less on the same term contract

Reactions: ocdaddy

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
3 mill is about max for bridge deals for good dmen 2 years ago. 4 mill for a bridge today is obscene. Won't happen. Morrissey isn't a ufa nor does he have arb rights like kulikov otherwise he would get more then kulikov

We have to remember the cap went up significantly and player salaries will now reflect that. A jump of anywhere from $500,000-$1,000,000 will be seen in salaries league wide by now. A guy who commanded $3 mill two years ago could easily get $4. Noah Hanifin just signed a 6 year deal for $4.95

Morrissey is easily worth that at the very least for what he brings for us night in and night out without any PP time.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
We have to remember the cap went up significantly and player salaries will now reflect that. A jump of anywhere from $500,000-$1,000,000 will be seen in salaries league wide by now. A guy who commanded $3 mill two years ago could easily get $4. Noah Hanifin just signed a 6 year deal for $4.95

Morrissey is easily worth that at the very least for what he brings for us night in and night out without any PP time.
Not on a bridge. Salary didn't go up that much. Most dmen if not all except trouba got way under 3aav on a bridge 2 years ago. Morrissey won't see anything close to 4aav on a bridge.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trouba wasn't in the same role as he is today when he got his bridge

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not on a bridge. Salary didn't go up that much. Most dmen if not all except trouba got way under 3aav on a bridge 2 years ago. Morrissey won't see anything close to 4aav on a bridge.

I disagree.

He's worth 4 on a bridge easy.

if we're paying him 3 or less get ready for a repeat of a trouba situation because your not payinghim what he's worth and he'll have every right to want out.

I do not agree with your assessment at all and i think your logic is flawed for the reasons that have already been stated.

Reactions: surixon
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
what? he's a top pairing dman. Your being foolish if you think you can sign your top pairing dman long term for 5.5 mil. I very much disagree. I saw that arb happening from a mile away. 5.5 for one year is not a high award.

If people really think 5.5 was a "high" award then they have just as much trouble valuing dmen as chevy does. he's already post bridge, therefore a long term deal eats up way more UFA years then an initial long term deal (like schiefele's) would have, thus making it more expensive.

He did not offer Trouba close to market value. 5.5 is barely market value.

6 mil a year for multiple ufa years of a top pairing dman is just silly.

You've been on here long enough to have spent the summer reading the threads regarding this.

Comparable contracts up until the Trouba award for 1 year bridge deals were in the $4-$4.5 million dollar range. There's endless threads & countless examples.

Deals extending past that paid similar amounts for RFA years, but then considerably more for UFA years. Again multiple comparables factoring in salary cap inflation were talked about at length.

4 years or more broke down as $4, $5, $7, $7=$23 million or $5.75AAV. All the posts on this topic turned out to be wrong.

The new benchmark of Trouba at $5.5 for a single RFA year was significant & I would think a long term deal for Trouba now begins at $7.5 Million AAV.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I disagree.

if we're paying him 3 or less get ready for a repeat of a trouba situation because your not payinghim what he's worth and he'll have every right to want out.

I do not agree with your assessment at all and i think your logic is flawed for the reasons that have already been stated.
Not my reasoning at all. Just fact. Go check it out. All dmen on bridge deals over the past several years haven't got paid more the what trouba got.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He'd easily get $4 on a bridge. But I think a bridge is way to risky for him. If he breaks out offensively be prepared to drop $7 or more on the next deal long term. We should be locking him up for 6 years at the very least IMO. $5.5 would get that done I think. Though Morrissey's camp may want a bridge to maximize the long term deal. It's really easy to bank on him breaking out offensively. The kid has been a prolific scoring two-way defender his entire junior career.
You low ball him now be prepared to make up for that when the next contract talk comes along.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I disagree.

That’s not how salary works in the NHL though, especially for RFA’s. Players don’t get paid what they’re “worth”, they get paid what their market value is. It’s all about leverage. RFAs coming off their ELC have almost none.

Long term deals off of ElCs put a huge amount of risk on the team. Sometimes they work out really well (Scheifele) but they often don’t.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That’s not how salary works in the NHL though, especially for RFA’s. Players don’t get paid what they’re “worth”, they get paid what their market value is. It’s all about leverage. RFAs coming off their ELC have almost none.

Long term deals off of ElCs put a huge amount of risk on the team. Sometimes they work out really well (Scheifele) but they often don’t.

I agree usually but in the terms of Morrissey and Connor we take on just as much risk if they break out even more. You give Connor or Morrissey a bridge now and you will surely pay for it later. Nashville did it pretty good with their young dmen. Pay them decently on a mid range deal 4-7 years and then when they come off they won't be asking for big money deals into UFA. Josi was a good one. After his ELC they gave him a 7 year deal worth $4 per season. Surely he will get paid more when it expires but he won't be looking to make up for getting underpaid through his first deal and you got him for a good period of time at a good cap hit that allowed you to contend.

If we signed Morrissey to a similar deal. Josi signed then for 6.25% of the cap. Today that would be $4,968,750 over 7 years.

Reactions: kxx

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree usually but in the terms of Morrissey and Connor we take on just as much risk if they break out even more. You give Connor or Morrissey a bridge now and you will surely pay for it later. Nashville did it pretty good with their young dmen. Pay them decently on a mid range deal 4-7 years and then when they come off they won't be asking for big money deals into UFA. Josi was a good one. After his ELC they gave him a 7 year deal worth $4 per season. Surely he will get paid more when it expires but he won't be looking to make up for getting underpaid through his first deal and you got him for a good period of time at a good cap hit that allowed you to contend.

If we signed Morrissey to a similar deal. Josi signed then for 6.25% of the cap. Today that would be $4,968,750 over 7 years.
Josi is underpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad