What to do with Morrissey

Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
RFA vs UFA contracts are not at all comparable

This is one of the things that I think is changing. The arbitrator awarded Trouba $5.5 for one year. This is about a million more than most posters thought he would get. Knowing that why would Morrissey accept $5.5 for 8 years? Or even $6.5? Young, proven players are going to start to get paid more at the expense of aging players.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
This is one of the things that I think is changing. The arbitrator awarded Trouba $5.5 for one year. This is about a million more than most posters thought he would get. Knowing that why would Morrissey accept $5.5 for 8 years? Or even $6.5? Young, proven players are going to start to get paid more at the expense of aging players.

Okay. It was rumoured Trouba wanted as much or more than Scheif before he signed his bridge deal. Lets examine what he has achieved to date.(3.06+3.06+5.50) He will have to earn 37.5 (7.5 per year) over the next 5 years to match what Scheif is making. And he is taking on 100% of the risk (Probably not that comfortable for a player that probably suffered two concussions last year). Also consider time value of money (Scheif had extra funds in the first three years which he presumably has earned money on). Morrisey should pick one. Sign at what the Jets are offering long term (probably in the 5.5 range) or work at negotiating a Trouba type bridge deal (inflation adjusted would be around 3.4). If he is as good as Trouba.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I don't think Chevy "wanted" to go to arbitration, but I believe he thought that if it did that he'd be the winner.

No one saw that arbitration award happening. No one.

Everyone here thought a bridge deal would be FAR less. $5.5-$6 million was supposed to be the long term deal.

No one can blame Chevy for offering fair market value to Trouba.

The problem that he now faces is that the market has changed & the dominos have fallen into the Morrissey signing.

Who was the arbitrator? Is he even competent? The award was awfully high and I don’t know if he knew what he was doing.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I have to admit I am a bit surprised this didn’t get done prior to....camp

Don’t worry, Chevy’s backup plan to replace Troubs and Morrissey is to bring back Mark Stuart and Adam Pardy, all is well says Chevy!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
and we get to my earlier point:

4.5 for Trouba and 6mx8 for Morrissey are terrible miscalculations of those players values.

If that was Chevy's plan then it's just one more nail in the "Chevy really doesn't understand Dmen" coffin
I'm pretty sure that's not how Chevy views things. If he thought that poorly of Trouba he would have traded him by now

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Edit: whoops, meant to post this in the Trouba thread :(

Last edited:

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
If you overpay, then everyone wants to be overpaid. From a GMs position every good deal is a good deal.
the problem to my mind is that it looks to most people like Scheifele got taken to the cleaners. you don't want to overpay I agree, but there is a lot of daylight between overpaying and what Scheif is getting in relation to his performance.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Without Chipman we don't have a team here in Winnipeg , probably why i lean a little more to the owner plus when guys are getting paid 10 million a year guaranteed money , beer isn't going to be 2 bucks a pop .

Pretty sure the reason we want to have a team here is to see world class players play hockey....

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
All that means is that the game is overpriced from top to bottom. And don't tell me about "what the market will bear," because that's one of the prime reasons why the world is such a toilet.

The “what the market will bear” discussion is the basis of our entire economic system, so tough to remove from the conversation when discussing money and how we divide and exchange it.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If Morrissey wants a bridge now then give it to him. Will cost us more in the end, but we dont own these guys you know...

Take advantage of the savings next year or two and maybe use it to snag a FA or keep one of our own.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
the problem to my mind is that it looks to most people like Scheifele got taken to the cleaners. you don't want to overpay I agree, but there is a lot of daylight between overpaying and what Scheif is getting in relation to his performance.

Scheifele got what was market rate at the time. He is making what most talented offensive players where receiving. Hall just won the hear making $6 million per. McKinnon makes $6.3ish, Seguin has been a consistent 70 point guy making $5.75 million. Tavares was making $5.5 million until this year. Scheifele isn't alone in the underpay category. The market just hadn't shifted when he signed his deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Multiple places are reporting he prefers a bridge. Someone from the free press and Friedman for instance. It's up to you whether you want to believe them or not.

And the Jets don't have enough cap space to sign him long term. Of course it he wants long term money on a bridge deal .... OTOH, if Jets want him long term for bridge money ....

When was the last time Friedman had something right? Just asking.
Who is someone from the free press? That could be anybody. Do they still have paperboys?
I neither believe nor disbelieve. There are reason for either side to prefer either option. In the end it depends on the total package.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think it’s about cap space. It’s about ridiculous demands.

That's why I said if. Whileee's post suggested it was a lack of space.

According to some, they are trying to get Morrissey locked up with only 5.5 in available space remaining. That doesn't leave much contingency for injuries. Apparently it is not enough because Morrissey is not signed.

If they had given Trouba 7, there would be only 4 left for Morrissey. They aren't getting him long term for that.

If that is the explanation for Trouba being on an arb deal and Morrissey not being signed when TC has already started, then they should have cleared more cap space.

Reactions: Tommigun

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
No one saw that arbitration award happening. No one.
/QUOTE]

I know you have strong opinions about it but saying no one is a bit much.

If this goes to arbitration, the Winnipeg Sun’s Ken Wiebe expects the Jets will choose a one-year award as Trouba is eligible for unrestricted free agency on July 1, 2020. It’s possible the defenseman gets a one-year deal from an arbiter for around $5.25 million and he and the Jets attempt to work out another deal before next summer.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As some people have said , i don't understand why Wheeler got signed before Morrissey . Wheeler didn't need a contract before training camp to be here , he still had a year left . Maybe that pissed off Morrissey or Morrissey's agent as Morrissey wasn't as much of a priority to get signed . Maybe Chevy thought he could get Morrissey around 4 million for 2 or 3 years , big mistake if he did .

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Morrissey wants a bridge now then give it to him. Will cost us more in the end, but we dont own these guys you know...

Take advantage of the savings next year or two and maybe use it to snag a FA or keep one of our own.

I think in the end it could work better, bit like Tampa style.

Jets have so many big contracts coming up this summer+ next and Morrissey on a 3 year bridge would give some breathing room for Chevy to see some contracts drop out+ see cap to go up while still having Scheifele/Laine/Ehlers/Helle on longterm contracts.

Even a 2 year bridge could work better as in 2 years time there's no big names to be signed anymore.

As some people have said , i don't understand why Wheeler got signed before Morrissey . Wheeler didn't need a contract before training camp to be here , he still had a year left . Maybe that pissed off Morrissey or Morrissey's agent as Morrissey wasn't as much of a priority to get signed . Maybe Chevy thought he could get Morrissey around 4 million for 2 or 3 years , big mistake if he did .

Chevy can deal with multiple contracts at the same time and Wheeler was willing to sign his contract.

I doubt Morrissey gets mad with their captain signing a longterm deal, if anything it should help him to sign.
That sounds like a high bridge number for Morrissey.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
How much is the Jets cap space again?

Less than 6M?

Not enough for long term .

Lets go Morrissey.

Jets need all the horses.

Vegas upgraded
Sharks upgraded

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
4 million for 2 or 3 years is a major overpay by chevy. Morrissey would jump all over that. What Wheeler agreed to has nothing to do with what morrissey is being offered nor is his agent offended.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
4 million for 2 or 3 years is a major overpay by chevy. Morrissey would jump all over that. What Wheeler agreed to has nothing to do with what morrissey is being offered nor is his agent offended.
I don't think 4 million is a overpay for Morrissey , far from it . And you never know about people's ego in stuff like this , i don't think Morrissey is like that but maybe his agent has one . This probably isn't why Morrissey still isn't signed but i wouldn't have started on Wheeler's contract until Morrissey was signed .

Reactions: Bigfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad