Player Discussion: What to do with Lemieux?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bring up who? Who would benefit from sitting in Pb?

There is no requirement to have anyone in the PB but if you must have someone bring up Lipon. His contract includes a minimum salary guarantee that requires a little time on the NHL roster. Bring up Nic Kerdiles. He isn't contributing anything to the Moose. Or bring up Seth Griffith. He is actually capable of playing in the NHL if you had to throw him in for some reason. C.J. Suess would probably appreciate a few days of NHL pay.

Then, as Trebendan says, Dano might soon be back.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When Lemieux gets his suspension, won’t the Jets need to call someone up anyway ? I’m betting on 5 games.

I doubt he gets more than 1 game. Worse hits have gone unpunished and I think Lemieux's history in other leagues doesn't count.

I don't think they don't need to call anyone up. They can go with 20 players.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is stupid. I'm sure the message was already delivered to him after the game. It's one ****ing game.

Thing is ...... that was really the first game he was getting involved in the play. He's contributed squat.

I went to school with a guy who eventually got his chance with the California Golden Seals. (Does that date me? :laugh: ) He got into a stick swinging incident in about his 2nd game. He was disciplined and never saw the NHL again.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ok? I think everyone already knew this did they not?

But that's the whole point. If he was a top 6 player, or even a top 6 prospect, he would get more rope. But he is no better than Dano so he just used up whatever rope he had. Trade him for a sack of pucks before we end up having to waive him.

Reactions: Duke749

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
Still an overreaction
I don’t think so.

As I see there was no point what so ever to do what he did. His history tells us that it most likely was not an any kind of accident. And it sure didn’t look like one.

I don’t like this kind of behaviour, but what really pisses me off is it was totally irrational. You might say there would have been ”some point” doing this if he would have targeted someone who had previously done something dirty to Jets player. Or if we would have been in some situation where we would have preferred him to mess up our opponents play. For example they would have been dominating us in a playoffs game. Or something.

Of course intentionally trying to hurt him or aimimg at his head would still not have been acceptable even in those circumstances. But there would have been some ”reason” behind the act.

Now there were none. It was absolutely irrational and malevolent behaviour and probably cost us a game. Jets do not need that kind of player in their roster.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was intrigued by Lemieux's pedigree. I don't think anyone would predict he'd be a top 6 player, but he might have had a role to play on a contending team.

He's into his 4th season as a pro. As an NHL player, he's a weak player. Additionally, I believe his actions on Friday strongly contributed to losing the game. There's no upside to his game.

I think he'd have been an NHL player 10 years ago, but the era of enforcement (which is putting it charitably in Lemieux's case) is over.

I think the risk of inserting him into the lineup far outweighs the potential reward. And there are more promising prospects deserving of a shot at NHL play.

It's time to trade him for whatever the market offers. If there are no offers, send him back to the Moose and let him play out the rest of his contract, then let him go.

Its his 3rd pro season, actually. Just nitpicking.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
But that's the whole point. If he was a top 6 player, or even a top 6 prospect, he would get more rope. But he is no better than Dano so he just used up whatever rope he had. Trade him for a sack of pucks before we end up having to waive him.

He's not going to be the most popular Jet in the room for awhile but he's not getting trading. I'd be very surprised to see the Jets give up on any asset that quickly.

The Jets know what they have with Lemieux - it's not like this was the first time they have seen this type of behavior. They brought him up for a reason - his game is obviously something they like. Now they have to work with him including working this garbage out of his game.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He's not going to be the most popular Jet in the room for awhile but he's not getting trading. I'd be very surprised to see the Jets give up on any asset that quickly.

The Jets know what they have with Lemieux - it's not like this was the first time they have seen this type of behavior. They brought him up for a reason - his game is obviously something they like. Now they have to work with him including working this garbage out of his game.

He was a fringe player to start. He earned a spot in camp to start. But once you start head hunting stars, costing your team games, you are opening up a can of worms. Personally I think he was jacked up that game. I think the fact Roslovic isn't going, who it seems like is his road roommate, you look at moving him. If he wants to follow in his father's footsteps, Habs are a team that would give him an opportunity. And he can follow in dad's footsteps and scrap Brady Tkachuk for the next 5 years. I agree than Petan-Copp-Roslovic was going to evolve naturally, Lemieux just happened to precipitate it.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

They don't like it that much or they would have brought him up sooner and given him more opportunity when he got here. He showed absolutely nothing in the 8 prior games he had played this year. I do mean absolutely nothing.

They've been working with him for 4 years. You are correct in saying they know what they have. And it is not an NHL player. The 9 games this year were his opportunity. He blew it. Done. If they don't trade him, he will be waived after next year's TC - that is assuming they offer him a contract for next year.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
For the most part, Lemieux has been controlling himself this season and has tried to make the most of his limited minutes as have the other fourth line players. Has he contributed less than our other fourth liners, Roslovic and . . . ? I am somewhat skeptical right now about how easy it is to make an impact on 6 minutes a game. I hope Petan can prove me wrong, and together with Roslovic and Copp, turn that dinghy around.

I detest headshots and agree that they have no part in this game. I do believe, however, that a player can turn his life around and am willing to give Lemieux more than one strike at this level in regard to his shenanigans. Is his hockey on a level to play in this league though? That is another question.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They don't like it that much or they would have brought him up sooner and given him more opportunity when he got here. He showed absolutely nothing in the 8 prior games he had played this year. I do mean absolutely nothing.

They've been working with him for 4 years. You are correct in saying they know what they have. And it is not an NHL player. The 9 games this year were his opportunity. He blew it. Done. If they don't trade him, he will be waived after next year's TC - that is assuming they offer him a contract for next year.

They brought him up over both Dano and Petan - so they obviously like him. And as mentioned, they know what they own.

Difficult to get excited over any player playing 5 minutes a game - which includes anyone on the 4th line.

Absolutely nothing? That's not true - he's had a few shifts that have looked good - he brought what he brings - grit, board work, and a nose for the net which was needed. He has potential or he would have been churned our for someone else prior to last game. We all see what we want to see when watching the game. I've never seen anything in Dano during his time spent here but some do.

At the end of the day, he obviously needs to get his act together - but I won't be surprised to see him back in a Jet's jersey at some point this year.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
It's fresh so people are upset because it cost us a very winnable game. I believe that we would have seen a 4th line of Copp Rosie & Petan upon return regardless.

This suspension of 3 games(my prediction) will force Maurice to see the results of this 4th line and I think Lemieux will have an uphill battle getting back in the lineup.

Maurice will remember a time years ago when some goon on the other team gooned one his players then in the next game scored a goal. That will prove to Maurice that Lemieux is worth putting back in.

Reactions: BullLund

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He was a fringe player to start. He earned a spot in camp to start. But once you start head hunting stars, costing your team games, you are opening up a can of worms. Personally I think he was jacked up that game. I think the fact Roslovic isn't going, who it seems like is his road roommate, you look at moving him. If he wants to follow in his father's footsteps, Habs are a team that would give him an opportunity. And he can follow in dad's footsteps and scrap Brady Tkachuk for the next 5 years. I agree than Petan-Copp-Roslovic was going to evolve naturally, Lemieux just happened to precipitate it.

I didn't appreciate his behavior in the game either -
The Jets have a choice - trade him off after 8 or so games or work on his behavior.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They brought him up over both Dano and Petan - so they obviously like him. And as mentioned, they know what they own.

Difficult to get excited over any player playing 5 minutes a game - which includes anyone on the 4th line.

Absolutely nothing? That's not true - he's had a few shifts that have looked good - he brought what he brings - grit, board work, and a nose for the net which was needed. He has potential or he would have been churned our for someone else prior to last game. We all see what we want to see when watching the game. I've never seen anything in Dano during his time spent here but some do.

At the end of the day, he obviously needs to get his act together - but I won't be surprised to see him back in a Jet's jersey at some point this year.

They didn't bring him up over Petan. Petan was not available. Why do people keep insisting that Petan had a training camp this year? So they brought him up over Dano, who was waived.

Why is he playing only 5 minutes/gm?

I disagree that he had a few shifts that looked good. I don't think he ever got past neutral.

I'll be surprised to see him in a Jets Jersey ever again. I'll be annoyed to see him in a Jets jersey ever again. It could happen, but only if Mau and/or Chevy make a poor decision.

The most potential he ever had was as a bottom 6 grinder. He could only ever be worth having in that role if he could learn to control his worst impulses. He has clearly failed to learn to do that.

How many chances do you think a fringe player should get? And why? He's a dime a dozen player at best - and he just demonstrated that he can't manage that best.

Reactions: Critical Mass

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I didn't appreciate his behavior in the game either -
The Jets have a choice - trade him off after 8 or so games or work on his behavior.

I don't believe his play has warranted patience with behaviour. His behaviour has escalated as his play has declined, I think that's a fairly straight line to draw. I don't believe it will get better unless he can keep up with the game.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They didn't bring him up over Petan. Petan was not available. Why do people keep insisting that Petan had a training camp this year? So they brought him up over Dano, who was waived.

Why is he playing only 5 minutes/gm?

I disagree that he had a few shifts that looked good. I don't think he ever got past neutral.

I'll be surprised to see him in a Jets Jersey ever again. I'll be annoyed to see him in a Jets jersey ever again. It could happen, but only if Mau and/or Chevy make a poor decision.

The most potential he ever had was as a bottom 6 grinder. He could only ever be worth having in that role if he could learn to control his worst impulses. He has clearly failed to learn to do that.

How many chances do you think a fringe player should get? And why? He's a dime a dozen player at best - and he just demonstrated that he can't manage that best.

At the end of the day, if he is able to make better decisions, he is a player this team can use based on what he brings. That might be a big "if" but that's where I'm coming from and that's what the Jets were considering when they brought him up.

I don't believe the Jets consider him "dime a dozen" at best, or a fringe grinder - they see something in him that you don't.
At the same time, IMO, he's back with the Jets at some point.

How many chances does he get? It'll depend on how much they see in him - that's where you and I differ in opinion - and that's OK.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't believe his play has warranted patience with behaviour. His behaviour has escalated as his play has declined, I think that's a fairly straight line to draw. I don't believe it will get better unless he can keep up with the game.

Nonsense - There's no line to draw - he blew up in a game.
The fact that you don't believe he will get better is an opinion - I disagree.

He made real bad decisions in a game - and now he's absolute garbage and should never have played in the NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I disagree in this case. I don't think TN wants a player in their org that intentionally injures people, either. I think it's in his nature.

100% this ^^^

It was a douche bag play by cuckoo’s nest that comes as zero surprise to me.

Adam Lowry plays physical in your face hockey and he rarly takes penalties. For me that should be the Jets prototype for physically engaged assets.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad