Player Discussion: What to do with Lemieux?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There’s only a narrative for people who can’t actually move forward and just want to use out dated ways to evaluate players as if the league and game hasn’t evolved over the years.
I love how you try to present your OPINION as common fact.

I'll look at examples of reality which shows paid professionals at the highest level, even though using advanced stats more and more, still subscribing to teams that have balanced rosters featuring players with many different skillsets.

So, forgive me. If I have to side with a hockey fan on a forum, or the vast majority of professionals who's careers rely on making these decisions, I will defer to the latter, not the former.

Reactions: Pongs21

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I love how you try to present your OPINION as common fact.

I'll look at examples of reality which shows paid professionals at the highest level, even though using advanced stats more and more, still subscribing to teams that have balanced rosters featuring players with many different skillsets.

So, forgive me. If I have to side with a hockey fan on a forum, or the vast majority of professionals who's careers rely on making these decisions, I will defer to the latter, not the former.

Parties agree with this.. only because there are some poorly qualified people working in pro sports. But the narrative that certain people think they know more than those from within the organization is foolish.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Parties agree with this.. only because there are some poorly qualified people working in pro sports. But the narrative that certain people think they know more than those from within the organization is foolish.
I would say if the amount of people in the industry who believed it was lower that it could be due to levels of competency - but considering the extremely high amount of teams that employ balanced rosters, I tend to have more faith in it (as well as it just makes sense to me as well).

I think sometimes people confuse roster balance, roles, and players who bring intangibles with people wanting face punchers, goons, or guys who just chase the big hit. I do not believe they are one in the same. A guy like Brandon Tanev is not a goon, a face puncher, or a guy who lays devestating hits, but his value to the team is obvious, even if he isn't the most highly skilled guy on the team.

I know that some would rather see someone like Petan on the team instead of Tanev, but I think that throws the roster out of balance.

Just because blueberries are a superfood doesn't mean you should exclusively eat bowls of them 3 times a day. You need balance, including some things that might not be good for you in larger quantities (nuts, for instance). Balance is important.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think the biggest reason why teams have so-called balanced rosters is because humanity only produces a limited number of superstars. Give teams a choice between 12 Tavareses or 6 Tavareses plus 6 Lemieuxs and I'd bet they'd all take the first one.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think the biggest reason why teams have so-called balanced rosters is because humanity only produces a limited number of superstars. Give teams a choice between 12 Tavareses or 6 Tavareses plus 6 Lemieuxs and I'd bet they'd all take the first one.
You forgot salary cap. If you had to pay each Tavares 10 mil. etc etc etc.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
but our choice is between 1 petan or 1 Lemieux. since its a hypothetical how about we change the name to claude Lemieux instead. 4x Stanley cup champ and con smythe winner is it still 12 Tavares.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Depends where you look. nhl.com has him at 50.62 in his last 20 games. FYI those are sheltered minutes and the least amount of TOI or average TOI of any Jets player. He also leads the team in penalty minutes over the past 20 games, which includes two major penalties.

He's had a few nice offensive plays, the best of which being that power move from behind the net, but those attempting to make a case for improved defensive play off a 20 game sample size using CF% are grasping at straws.

Just as pertinent would be the fact he's 43%CF in his last 10 which included a 10%CF game and two 25%CF games.
He's been a positive CF over the past 20 games, on the 4th line. Reducing the sample size more doesn't improve the assessment. Beyond the metrics, he's looked much more comfortable and effective than he was at the beginning of the season, regardless of goals.

He's a net positive in minor penalties drawn and taken, which is the most important issue for the team. He's more likely to put the Jets on the PP than on the PK.

Lemieux clearly has limitations, but he draws more criticism than he deserves based on his overall play so far, I think.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Lemieux clearly has limitations, but he draws more criticism than he deserves based on his overall play so far, I think.

Yes, he sure does.
But I suppose fans can be that way - passionate (or overly passionate)
Go back a few pages in this thread and you would swear he was the devil himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad