Line Combos: What the lineup should be next game

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't like it when people put multiple players in a position or players in multiples places. You have Drouin in two places!! It's just not easy to make sense of it.

When posting a lineup please pick one player for one position.

Lol I forgot Lehkonen.

I presume you're replying to me (please quote in the future if that's the case).

If you're grading a line-up with players in "correct positions" then they should be placed there. If Galchenyuk isn't a center and Drouin ideally isn't either, then they're LW. And neither are really 1st line guys right now. They're options on the 2nd line though. And if one isn't a 2nd liner, then they're a third liner. All of Hudon, Lehkonen, Byron and Deslaurier are LWers. And should be optioned there. Otherwise, how can you determine pieces that are missing (and what higher value trade pieces you may have)?

Mete isn't a top-4 D-man and he isn't at the level where he can be expected to be one next year.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
You know what's crazy
Watched him closely again last night
But is Tavares really worth that 11-12 million per year?
That's 2 good players at 6 million each

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
You know what's crazy

He's definitely worth 11-12 million now. But what about in 3 or 4 years when he's declining?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
You know what's crazy

We're talking about UFA's though. 6 mil UFAs are more like the Lucic's or the Eriksson's.

You're always overpaying for UFAs. Better a top-20 scorer that plays center.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
You know what's crazy

Or three Kucherovs. Now that's a sweet heart contract - 82 points in 63 games - 4.7 million.

But seriously, that is the going rate for a top notch center so yes he is worth it. Even if you got another #1 center on a better contract, or drafted one if they end up as good as Tavares you will eventually have to pay them that anyways.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You know what's crazy

You could also get 2xDrouin (is 1xTavares better?)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If we're being honest here, its more like:

1LW - 1C - Gallagher
Drouin/Galchenyuk - 2C - 2RW
Drouin/Galchenyuk/Lehkonen/Byron/Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Lehkonen/Byron/Hudon/Deslauriers - 4C - 4RW

1LD - Weber
2LD - Petry
Mete/Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Montreal probably has too many LW.

Both Drouin and Galchenyuk are as good or better on the right side.

A lot of the rigidity becomes flexibility with a new GM. IMO that is the single, best move to help the team going forward. Installing a PHO would be second.

This team needs a high colonic enema in management from top to bottom.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Both Drouin and Galchenyuk are as good or better on the right side.

A lot of the rigidity becomes flexibility with a new GM. IMO that is the single, best move to help the team going forward. Installing a PHO would be second.

This team needs a high colonic enema in management from top to bottom.

They're comparable, not better. There is researched value of having left handed shots on the left side and right handed shots on the right side. And there's always leeway to be less rigid, especially with forwards.

But we're discussing roster spots right now, and I think its useful to identify what Montreal has an abundance of (left shot wingers) and what they lack (literally everything else besides goaltenders and bottom pair D-men) when you're trying to figure out the pieces you can afford to lose and what might help.

You know, instead of moving a top future piece for yet another defensively challenged LW. Or being more aggressive retaining an elite RW. Or not gutting a strong puck moving D-core.

I'm with you on the front office thing though.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Galchenyuk - 1C - Gallagher
Drouin - 2C - Sherback
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - Plekanec - Byron
Deslauriers

That's like the best 4th line I've seen in a while. Ideally I'd like to trade Shaw and put Byron in his place and DLo back on the fourth.

Galchenyuk - 1C - Gallagher
Drouin - 2C - Sherback
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Hudon - Plekanec - Deslauriers

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
They're comparable, not better. There is researched value of having left handed shots on the left side and right handed shots on the right side. And there's always leeway to be less rigid, especially with forwards.

But we're discussing roster spots right now, and I think its useful to identify what Montreal has an abundance of (left shot wingers) and what they lack (literally everything else besides goaltenders and bottom pair D-men) when you're trying to figure out the pieces you can afford to lose and what might help.

You know, instead of moving a top future piece for yet another defensively challenged LW. Or being more aggressive retaining an elite RW. Or not gutting a strong puck moving D-core.

I'm with you on the front office thing though.

I don't disagree with you about the wingers, just believe it should be farther down the list of priorities.

Centre and D for me are clearly the weakest areas. Until we know for certain about Price's health moving forward, that's also an area of concern.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don't disagree with you about the wingers, just believe it should be farther down the list of priorities.

Centre and D for me are clearly the weakest areas. Until we know for certain about Price's health moving forward, that's also an area of concern.

My point is that if you're going to try to compete now (I don't really agree, but it seems like Molson and Bergevin want to) then it helps to looks at what Montreal has an abundance of and what they need (the most pressing of which is Center and LD that can move the puck).

As for Goaltending, Montreal's tied to Price, the only option is that he bounces back. Although the goalie pipeline looks pretty solid ATM.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Doom-Gloom-Despair
Apathy-Depression-Dejection
Sadness-Misery-Anger
Sorrow-Desolation-Grief

Rage-Spite
Malice-Ill Will
Pain-Vindictiveness

Hurt
Devastation

This is actually how I see our lineup
Bergevin has ruined hockey in this city

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Lehkonen - Danault - TRADE
TRADE - Drouin - Scherbak
Carr -Hudon - TRADE
Deslauriers - McCarron - TRADE

Alzner - Juulsen
Mete - Petry
Reilly - Benn

Lindgren
TRADE

I think we can get 31st in the league with that lineup.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We have less than 10% chance of getting Dahlin. And very very little chance at Tavares.

Now take into account that Pleks IS coming back to MTL. That deal seems like it's done- just not signed yet.

Nobody is trading their #2 centre for Pacioretty - why would they create a hole at centre to get a winger? Doesn't add up.

Bergevin has proven incapable of making any big signings and in fact cannot even resign his own players properly. Subban was a nightmare to resign and he lost Radulov and Markov. Kudos to him for overpaying Price - probably didn't even have to negotiate that #.

The only way I see Tavares coming here is with a ridiculous 15 mill price tag or something like that and to be honest I would probably do it. If we don't grossly overpay nobody will come - and better to give him more than to waste it on his Hemsky/Semin contracts.

I still do not see how the Habs get Tavares. Toronto has JVR and Bozak coming off the books. Tavares has a team Canada relationship with Babcock. And a real chance to win. He would not have the expectation of saving a franchise either.

I also don't expect Nuge to be in play. All Edmonton has left is Mc David, Draisaitl and Nuge. They need wingers, Puuljarvi may emerge as one, but I don't see them giving up on Nuge. Nurse maybe. They may be able to replace him with Ethan Bear internally.

I can't see the Oilers having an interest in anyone but Galchenyuk.

Patches would never re-sign in Edmonton.

I want Stastny to replace Plekanec's leadership. He would also add a different element than Patches on the PP, A guy that is good around the net. And strong on the puck. Plus a face off ace. Would take pressure off Drouin in a way that Plekanec never could.

Bjustad intrigues me, because I think the Habs are scouting a lot from the Northern U.S, would fit in well with those guys.

Can play centre or wing. Maybe rides shotgun with Drouin next year. The following year perhaps Danault moves up to centre Drouin-Scherbak, and Poehling centres Lehkonen and Bjustad. For those clamouring for Shaw to be moved, he seems like an upgrade.

The Canadiens aren't in a terrible place. They don't have as many dead weight contracts, like Ladd, or Nielsen, or Okposo/Moulson. In fact I would say that Gallagher's and Byron's contracts are steals. 40 goals for $5 million. I would not mind if the Habs sacrificed a 3rd to take on a contract like Pominville, a right handed shot for the PP. Could still score 20 under winning conditions. Mathieu Perreault would be a guy too, that could help.

It's hard to believe that Price and Weber have nothing left.

I think adding size would make it more of a Julien team, and that seems to be a disconnect, getting GM and coach on the same page.

I'll be happy if the Habs turn the page on Pleky, as much as I like him, and find a d-man who can play with Weber. The answer may be Mete, if Reilly steps up. But by not trading any significant picks, as previously done, the Canadiens have the potential to build a solid prospect base in the next couple of years, turn the ship around.

Still not sure Bergevin is the guy to be at the helm, but you can at least hope that he is learning from mistakes.

Last edited:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Lehkonen - Danault - TRADE
TRADE - Drouin - Scherbak
Carr -Hudon - TRADE
Deslauriers - McCarron - TRADE

Alzner - Juulsen
Mete - Petry
Reilly - Benn

Lindgren
TRADE

I think we can get 31st in the league with that lineup.

It depends on TRADE's performances and his abilities to play in diverse roles and positions to be honest.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I still do not see how the Habs get Tavares. Toronto has JVR and Bozak coming off the books. Tavares has a team Canada relationship with Babcock. And a real chance to win. He would not have the expectation of saving a franchise either.

I also don't expect Nuge to be in play. All Edmonton has left is Mc David, Draisaitl and Nuge. They need wingers, Puuljarvi may emerge as one, but I don't see them giving up on Nuge. Nurse maybe. They may be able to replace him with Ethan Bear internally.

I can't see the Oilers having an interest in anyone but Galchenyuk.

Patches would never re-sign in Edmonton.

I want Stastny to replace Plekanec's leadership. He would also add a different element than Patches on the PP, A guy that is good around the net. And strong on the puck. Plus a face off ace. Would take pressure off Drouin in a way that Plekanec never could.

Bjustad intrigues me, because I think the Habs are scouting a lot from the Northern U.S, would fit in well with those guys.

Can play centre or wing. Maybe rides shotgun with Drouin next year. The following year perhaps Danault moves up to centre Drouin-Scherbak, and Poehling centres Lehkonen and Bjustad. For those clamouring for Shaw to be moved, he seems like an upgrade.

The Canadiens aren't in a terrible place. They don't have as many dead weight contracts, like Ladd, or Nielsen, or Okposo/Moulson. In fact I would say that Gallagher's and Byron's contracts are steals. 40 goals for $5 million. I would not mind if the Habs sacrificed a 3rd to take on a contract like Pominville, a right handed shot for the PP. Could still score 20 under winning conditions.

It's hard to believe that Price and Weber have nothing left.

I think adding size would make it more of a Julien team, and that seems to be a disconnect, getting GM and coach on the same page.

I'll be happy if the Habs turn the page on Pleky, as much as I like him, and find a d-man who can play with Weber. The answer may be Mete, if Reilly steps up. But by not trading any significant picks, as previously done, the Canadiens have the potential to build a solid prospect base in the next couple of years, turn the ship around.

Still not sure Bergevin is the guy to be at the helm, but you can at least hope that he is learning from mistakes.
No disagreement about Tavares which is why I said it would have to be something ridiculous like 15 mill for us to pull him (consider McD got 12.5-13). And even with him we have too many holes to win.

I really think we need to reset - move assets for picks and load up the farm system (with a new coach there). Might take 3-4 years before we start winning but we would finally build a strong farm and have guys rolling up every year.

Unfortunately we won't do that... Pleks will be back. Julien will play him like a #2 centre again. We'll plug some more guys. Pacioretty will end up being resigned here because Bergevin won't trade him for prospects/picks. Another Hemsky/Semin will be signed... Round and round we go. Maybe Price bounces back and plays all world and we get into the playoffs but big deal? Won't be enough for a cup.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No disagreement about Tavares which is why I said it would have to be something ridiculous like 15 mill for us to pull him (consider McD got 12.5-13). And even with him we have too many holes to win.

I really think we need to reset - move assets for picks and load up the farm system (with a new coach there). Might take 3-4 years before we start winning but we would finally build a strong farm and have guys rolling up every year.

Unfortunately we won't do that... Pleks will be back. Julien will play him like a #2 centre again. We'll plug some more guys. Pacioretty will end up being resigned here because Bergevin won't trade him for prospects/picks. Another Hemsky/Semin will be signed... Round and round we go. Maybe Price bounces back and plays all world and we get into the playoffs but big deal? Won't be enough for a cup.

I'm not so sure it has to be blown up. Like I said Stastny would make a difference. Insulates Drouin. If you can get a 1st for Patches you double the chances of landing a #1 centre, which really needs to be obtained through the draft.

Say that guy is Wahlstron.

By 2020, you have

Wahlstron
Stastny
Poehling
Danault

Up the middle.

That's strong.

But the team gets stronger from what they built within, like Toronto.

Stays competive by adding the right pieces, with an eye on the future, instead of laterally plugging holes.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I'm not so sure it has to be blown up. Like I said Stastny would make a difference. Insulates Drouin. If you can get a 1st for Patches you double the chances of landing a #1 centre, which really needs to be obtained through the draft.

By 2020, you have

Wahlstron
Stastny
Poehling
Danault

Up the middle.

That's strong.

Stays competive by adding the right pieces, with an eye on the future, instead of laterally plugging holes.

Its strong if Wahlstrom pans out in a massive way (for instance, no 2018 draft prospect currently projects as a #1C). Its strong if Stastny defies aging curves (he'll be 34/35 in the 20/21 season).

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018

By 2020, you have

Wahlstron
Stastny
Poehling
Danault

Up the middle.

That's strong.

Fair enough but in 2020 who is playing D? Weber will be finished and right now he's our only top 2. MAYBE Mete becomes a #2 but that is very much up in the air. We need one hell of a draft this year and then we somehow need them to develop which we don't seem to be very good at.
The good news is other teams develop our D prospects pretty well!!

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Its strong if Wahlstrom pans out in a massive way (for instance, no 2018 draft prospect currently projects as a #1C). Its strong if Stastny defies aging curves (he'll be 34/35 in the 20/21 season).
Yes 34/35 Stastny, Wahlstrom somehow becomes #1 (not projected to be), and if 2 top tier defenseman fall from the sky and join the Habs since we will have neither as Weber will be done by then.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

You really don't know. I wonder how many people had Scheifele picked as a top 10 centre in the league. I know he was listed by everyone behind Couturier. Brayden Point wasn't on anyone's radar as a game breaker. It's sometimes a question of development and having other pieces in place. It's also still not out of the realm of possibility that Drouin emerges as a top centre. 22-23 is when most centres have their breakthrough seasons. He may have been stunted by immaturity, improper development, and the wrong personnel.

I am really high on Stastny. He is a fitness freak. I think that translates well to 35.

I see Tavares as being equally risky, given his penchant for injuries. Or you could look at Jonathan Toews, who has taken a lot of wear and tear. Lost his best winger Hossa. And found a beautiful wife. He has not been the same since. It's really I think a lot of homework, putting pieces in place, and some luck.

I see Price as being a very tradeable asset, if Primeau emerges, at the 19 draft in Vancouver. A chance to come home. Vancouver won't have a goalie by then. They are doomed to Richard Brodeur/Kirk Mc Lean mediocrity. Or when they do get a good one, they trade him.

I am not as pessimistic as others about the future. This year's draft though is the Habs golden opportunity to put the right pieces in place. And next season is conceivably the last chance for Bergevin's core.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Drouin - 1C - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Danault - Scherback
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Hudon
Deslauriers - McCarron - Shaw
(DeLaRose, Byron, Rychel)

1LD - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
(Reilly, Valiev, Benn, Schlemko)

Price
Lindgren

This is more or less what I'm expecting. Whether or not those holes get filled is up for debate, but I think this is roughly the template the team is working with. I think they'll try to give Danault a shot at being a top-6 forward, probably bring Plekanec back at a lower salary and shorter term.

It all depends on what they get out of the draft. Dahlin is obvious, but Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk could potentially step in on the wing and make for a lot of shuffling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad