Line Combos: What the lineup should be next game

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Who does Benn bump out of the top 6 in Dallas?

What contender’s Power play gets better with Joe Morrow?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You think Bergevin is going to trade 5 players? Making it 6 with Jerabek, and possibly even more that others will come up with??
Patches is not going anywhere. Makes no sense for him to be traded if we believe the Habs when they say they don't want to rebuild.

I expect the line up to be pretty much identical, with Plek and Morrow maybe on the move. That's about it.

Reactions: ArtPeur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Who does Benn bump out of the top 6 in Dallas?

What contender’s Power play gets better with Joe Morrow?

Benn would come back as a 7. Probably for a #5 pick as well.

Boston is one. I think they would rather have him than Postma.

You have to sell on this team. The GM can blame the players, otherwise he's the problem. You just wonder if how that cap space comes into play. What bad contract would he take, for incentive, more draft picks? Spezza, Nielsen, Seabrook, Paul Martin, Lucic, Eriksson?

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
PaciOretty - Danault - Lehkonen
Galchenyuk - Drouin - Hudon
Shaw - Plekanec - Gallagher
Deslauriers - Shaw - Froese

Mete - Juulsen
Schlemko - Petry
Alzner - Benn

Traded: Byron, Morrow. Thats it.

Bergevin is an idiot and thats his plan.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If you believe some, nothing will happen because of ownership. Time will tell I guess, I still don't trust him to make good trades and his most recent one just added to the fear he will leave the team worse off after the deadline.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
While 2 weeks ago, I hoped for a clearance, I now think it'll be wayyyy more quiet on the trade front for the Habs.

Mainly because I think Molson shut down Bergevin, and to be sure I'm not saying this because of what Laraque said, had that feeling last week. (just a gut feeling though, no educated guess there)

Still think Plekanec will leave, at least for his own sake, and I wish him a good team that has a chance for the Cup, he deserves it big time IMO. Also think one of Benn/Schlemko/Morrow will leave, but not all of them cause our D depth sucks so much we won't have a whole lot left. Froese/Shaw may not hold a lot of value but I could see them shipped for a late pick to a team in need of depth. Also wonder if Byron might leave, his value is wayyy higher than what people may think (style of play, cap hit, 1 year left, production), so while not a major trade like Pacioretty or Weber, it might be 'major' for us down the line.

Now, I hope to see kids being brought up, and Julien coach for the future.

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
Pacioretty - Danault - A.Shaw (if he ever comes back)
Lehkonen - DLR/McCarron - Gallagher
A mix of what's left for the last line, Deslauriers/Carr - McCarron/DLR/L.Shaw/Froese - L.Shaw/Gregoire ?

Alzner - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Benn/Schlemko/Morrow - Lernout

Lindgren
Niemi (I thought he would be traded, impossible now... unless they call Fucale)

There's also Jake Evans, whom I'd really like to be signed and on the team for the end of the season. And who knows, whatever interesting big NCAA UFA that might be 'ready' for a bit of NHL play.

And I know Julien won't put Chucky at center position, but that's what I hope. As long as the 3 of them are together I'm fine, they're fun to see play at least.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pacioretty-Drouin-Lekhonen
Galchenyuk-Danault-Gally
Byron-Plekanec-Hudon
Dlo-Froese-fringe 4th liner that Bergevin gets

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Traded: Pacioretty, Plekanec, Morrow, Schlemko, Niemi

Galchenyuk - Drouin - Scherbak
Hudon - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Byron - A. Shaw
Deslaurier - McCarron - Carr

Alzner - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Benn - Lernout

Lindgren
Fucale

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Each year we try to predict what the lineup will look like and each year it seems the actual starting lineup seems to look nothing like what we thought. Can't hurt to try though. I'm assuming Pacioretty is traded at the draft because this is almost a given in my opinion. So what do we have?

Galchenyuk - 1C - Gallagher
Drouin - 2C - Sherback
Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Deslauriers - Froese - Byron

1LD - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

I like how this lineup looks. We have a lot of young guys int he correct positions. The problem is the three missing pieces that will make or break the team. MB is great at getting fillers but not the top tier pieces.

MB's plan should be to fill 1C and 2C via the return for Pacioretty and via free agency. The obvious targets for me are John Tavares and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I'm starting to think Tavares is more and more likely to walk and I don't see why we can't extract RNG from the Oil with Patches. The remaining 1D would be Dahlin if we got him but if we don't pick first we'll likely be getting a forward so I don't know. A trade for a 1LD would likely have to made.

If all three factors go our way and we get a lineup that looks like this then we are immediate contenders:

Galchenyuk - Tavares - Gallagher
Drouin - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Sherback
Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Deslauriers - Froese - Byron

Dahlin - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If we're being honest here, its more like:

1LW - 1C - Gallagher
Drouin/Galchenyuk - 2C - 2RW
Drouin/Galchenyuk/Lehkonen/Byron/Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Lehkonen/Byron/Hudon/Deslauriers - 4C - 4RW

1LD - Weber
2LD - Petry
Mete/Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Montreal probably has too many LW.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I don't like it when people put multiple players in a position or players in multiples places. You have Drouin in two places!! It's just not easy to make sense of it.

When posting a lineup please pick one player for one position.

Lol I forgot Lehkonen.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Assuming we don't win the draft lottery, I think we'll be looking at a backend of:

Mete-Weber
Reilly/Valiev-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Upfront, trades and FA are going to play major roles. As of now, we have 10 top 9 wingers and zero top 6 centers. Somethings gotta give.

Reactions: Fixxer

Canari94

Oct 10, 2016
Tavares at Montreal what a joke. Why would he want to come here.....
The money ? Every team will make place for his salary. Lebrun said recently that San Jose and St Louis are very strong on him like all the teams in fact
The better fans of the league ? Yeah yeah lool, the same guys who will destroy him and his private life when he will not score in two games in a row
The media ? The same media who will destroy him because he doesn't say "Merci Montréal" when he will have the first star of a game
The GM ? The guy who during six years cannot improve his team and give a lot of bad contracts to players who not bring anything substantial... Furthermore, who destroyed his defence...
The coach ? A dinosaur who prefer players good without the puck rather than skilled players and praise for a defensive style....
The other players of the team ? An injured prone Price, an older and slower Weber in a league more and more faster and a captain who disappear when it count....

I'm agree, I push a little too far on some points especially for the fans but seriously stop dreamming with Tavares....

Last edited:

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
We have less than 10% chance of getting Dahlin. And very very little chance at Tavares.

Now take into account that Pleks IS coming back to MTL. That deal seems like it's done- just not signed yet.

Nobody is trading their #2 centre for Pacioretty - why would they create a hole at centre to get a winger? Doesn't add up.

Bergevin has proven incapable of making any big signings and in fact cannot even resign his own players properly. Subban was a nightmare to resign and he lost Radulov and Markov. Kudos to him for overpaying Price - probably didn't even have to negotiate that #.

The only way I see Tavares coming here is with a ridiculous 15 mill price tag or something like that and to be honest I would probably do it. If we don't grossly overpay nobody will come - and better to give him more than to waste it on his Hemsky/Semin contracts.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I'll also assume we haven't won the lottery...
I think Pacioretty is traded this offseason for a centre. (XXXX)

Galchenyuk-Drouin-Gallagher
Lehkonen-XXXX-Scherbak
Hudon-Danault-Byron
Deslauriers-De La Rose-Shaw
McCarron

Mete/Reilly-Weber
Reilly/Mete-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Benn/Schlemko (One is traded)

Price
Lindgren

Ad