Line Combos: What the lineup should be next game

PricePkPatch*

The only change I'd do myself is, like previously mentioned, swapping Kaberle for Weber. But that means no showcasing.. Hmm.. well, we COULD showcase Weber as well...

How good are the Devils this year?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The Canadiens have benefited greatly from the added toughness of having Prust on the third line and having a pure energy and defensively sound 4th line. I absolutely do not want a Gally-Gally-Eller third line. Eller is not soft, but he's not tough by any means, and those two kids are going to get pushed around.

It pains me to say this, but the only way this team is going to keep its identity while giving Eller some decent TOI is by sending down either one of the Gallys.

Think you're right. It might be a factor in whether galchenyuk gets sent down or not. Definitely a good problem to have.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Even if the team did a great performance last game, I think we can still have a better lineup!

Cole-Desharnais-Paccioretty
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Armstrong-Eller-Moen
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Prust

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon-Weber

Therrian has to show to his players that the amount of PP we give to the other teams in the last three games is unacceptable. Also, even if I really like what White brings to the team, when he starts to take many penalities he becomes more harmful than helpful for the team. And Eller need to be back in the lineup!
Kaberle is simply useless, bad in is own game and he brings nothing offensively so far. We need to give a chance to Weber, he was one of the best defense man in the swiss league during the lockout! And we need a shooter on the second PP.

Also, Cole need to step up his game if he wants to stay on the first line, we could try Eller or Galchenyuk or Gallagher on the first line!

Cole will be fine. Maybe not 30 goal pace fine, but 20 goal pace fine for sure. It is DD I worry about on that line. Nothing to be done on that right now, until Gally is ready, hopefully next year.

Agree on Eller for White. Arms, Eller and Moen could be very effective. And Eller knows he has to earn it now. Love white, but he has no O ability at all.

Agree on Weber for Kaberle. I think we may have to cut our losses with Kaberle. Weber needs to play this year, it is his last chance, and i bet he's watching Diaz to see what stepping up really means. But Subban will be back, and Weber will be benched when he is.

Unless he scores 2 more goals, Gally should go down after 5 games. He is good, but not good enough so far to justify burning one year of ELC.

Then we would have:

Cole-Desharnais-Paccioretty: They will come around. But I said this summer that DD has to score more goals this year or he's gone. He's not shooting enough, again.

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta: If Bourque keeps this up, I like this line. A lot. Looks like Therrien has done something with Bourque, let's see if it lasts.

Gallagher-Eller-Prust: I really like this line, if Eller steps up. He knows he has to. It's make or break this year. Bergy did not do the Halak trade and will not hesitate to torch Eller.

Armstrong-White/Noks-Moen: Noks is Meh. I prefer White. But White will have to skate harder and stop taking bad penalties. It is his last chance this year also.

Markov-Emelin: Thanks very much. I wish Emelin had a calm Russian star vet D man to learn from and play with, as it might make him a great D. Wait...:)

Subban-Diaz: OK, I buy it. I really buy it.

Bouillon-Gorges: Solid.

Weber will have to step up with an injury. He'll get one last chance, that is it.

Looks Like Weber and White are on the bubble.

Last edited:

Mynameismark*

White out? **** that! The guy brings way too much energy to a team that needs it right now. I'd rather tame a lion than wake up a dead person.

Exactly, White is needed, and fills a role here that we have needed for a long time. Eller is on his way out most likely and besides, he's just an emotionless softie.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Exactly, White is needed, and fills a role here that we have needed for a long time. Eller is on his way out most likely and besides, he's just an emotionless softie.

White averages 9 minutes a game, think we can do without for a game or two...

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Are you only looking at the scoresheets or actually watching games ? Look who's in front of the net disrupting the goalies on each goals his line scored...

DD hasn't been great, but to warrent him to sit in favor of Eller, I mean come on. What has Eller actually done to warrent this adoration ? Being tall and a first round draft choice ?

Primarily that he's only been given one game and DD hasn't done anything on the #1 line in three games. Since we're trying different combinations and we've sat Eller, DD should also sit. He gives us size down the middle. As long as we're trying different things, we should try this too. DD isn't entitled to the first line center position.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Cole will be fine. Maybe not 30 goal pace fine, but 20 goal pace fine for sure. It is DD I worry about on that line. Nothing to be done on that right now, until Gally is ready, hopefully next year.

Agree on Eller for White. Arms, Eller and Moen could be very effective. And Eller knows he has to earn it now. Love white, but he has no O ability at all.

Agree on Weber for Kaberle. I think we may have to cut our losses with Kaberle. Weber needs to play this year, it is his last chance, and i bet he's watching Diaz to see what stepping up really means. But Subban will be back, and Weber will be benched when he is.

Unless he scores 2 more goals, Gally should go down after 5 games. He is good, but not good enough so far to justify burning one year of ELC.

Then we would have:

Cole-Desharnais-Paccioretty: They will come around. But I said this summer that DD has to score more goals this year or he's gone. He's not shooting enough, again.

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta: If Bourque keeps this up, I like this line. A lot. Looks like Therrien has done something with Bourque, let's see if it lasts.

Gallagher-Eller-Prust: I really like this line, if Eller steps up. He knows he has to. It's make or break this year. Bergy did not do the Halak trade and will not hesitate to torch Eller.

Armstrong-White/Noks-Moen: Noks is Meh. I prefer White. But White will have to skate harder and stop taking bad penalties. It is his last chance this year also.

Markov-Emelin: Thanks very much. I wish Emelin had a calm Russian star vet D man to learn from and play with, as it might make him a great D. Wait...:)

Subban-Diaz: OK, I buy it. I really buy it.

Bouillon-Gorges: Solid.

Weber will have to step up with an injury. He'll get one last chance, that is it.

Looks Like Weber and White are on the bubble.

Agree with everything except Eller for White. Eller shouldn't be on a 4th line nor should White lose his spot as of yet.

I originally didn't care about burning a year off Galch's ELC but now I'm re-thinking that a lot. Cap management should be key right now. Still really like the idea of Galch staying up. Perfectly torn.

Really like the line with Gallagher-Eller-Prust. Gallagher's been really good.

The quicker we can get Kaberle in the press box the better. He needs to be bought out. I'd be so mad if he got injured and we couldn't. If injuries happen (plus PK is signed) I'm fine with Weber on a third pairing if the top 4 is solid.

Jos

Jan 5, 2018
Would you be happy with this kind of line up next year?

Josh Bailey 6.5MJohn Tavares 10.5MBrendan Gallagher 3.75M
Jonathan Drouin 5.5MAlex Galchenyuk 4.9MArtturi Lehkonen 0.839M
Charles Hudon 0.65MPhilip Danault 3MAndrew Shaw 3.9M
Nicolas Deslauriers 0.9MMichael McCarron 0.9MDaniel Carr 1M
Jacob de la Rose 0.775M
Calvin de Haan 4.5MShea Weber 7.857M
Jakub Jerabek 1.3MJeff Petry 5.5M
Victor Mete 0.75MJordie Benn 1.1M
Joe Morrow 0.7M
Carey Price 10.5M
Charlie Lindgren 0.8M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Total CAP: 76.1M

I trade Pacio + Byron for: 2 1st rounder + Prospect A
Plek for: 2nd rounder
Alzner and Schlemko for: Picks (I don't care which one)

That doesn't take in consideration if we draft someone like Dahlin or someone else who could help us in 18-19

With the cap left I wait until 19-20 and get someone like Karlson or another big D (19-20 for D UFA is a really good year). You could trade Shaw and bring Scherbak if you need more cap space for someone like Karlson and the cap should go up again in 19-20.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No extension for Morrow, please. I doubt anyone takes Alzner unless an equally bad contract comes back. I would rather extend DLR than McCarron. Wouldn't mind seeing McCarron traded this year in a package deal. I am more hopeful with DLR as 4C than McCarron, personally.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
plz be realistic when making posts like this. lmao

I'm not the OP...
My post contained nothing unrealistic... De Haan, Bailey and Tavares are indeed UFA at season end.

Also, the price is in the ballpark of what they would sign IMO, just need to convince them to actually sign here (which is the hardest part).

I'm more interested in who would take Schlemko/Alzner at that price.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I'm not the OP...
My post contained nothing unrealistic... De Haan, Bailey and Tavares are indeed UFA at season end.

Also, the price is in the ballpark of what they would sign IMO, just need to convince them to actually sign here (which is the hardest part).

i directed it at the op, thinking the islanders would let go all three and that mtl would sign all 3 is beyond delusional.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Sell them on the superior poutine and Smoked Meat in Montreal and, yeah, Bagels too ;)

Jos

Jan 5, 2018
i directed it at the op, thinking the islanders would let go all three and that mtl would sign all 3 is beyond delusional.

I don't really care about de Haan. I tried to solve all our weaknesses in one year, but we also could keep Alzner for 1 more year then go for the big D I was referencing to in 19-20. If you think that getting both Tavares AND Bailey is delusional well just go for Tavares and get someone else like Kane (I know he has some issues) or just trade for someone like Stone who is RFA. Remember that I didn't put our future #1 draft (top 5 maybe) in there but it could be someone who could play as soon as next year.

Jos

Jan 5, 2018
I'm not the OP...

I don't think that trading Schlemko would be a problem. For Alzner... it was a big mistake to sign him first but we saw a lot of time GMs that repair those kind of mistakes... dunno what we would need to add to burry him somewhere else though...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well no surprise Bergevin is selling his stock.

I figure a few more players are on the way out.

It would be a real surprise to me if MaxPac has not asked for a trade. And since he's already packed it in, bon voyage Capitaine Patio.

Tomas Plekanec has played very professionally this year, on a sinking ship, I expect his play to earn Bergevin a 2nd.

Jordie Benn will get moved. Wouldn't be surprised if it is back to Dallas.

Joe Morrow is a decent PP guy, that may get him an offer.

Daniel Carr scores goals, I could see someone taking a shot on him.

I know there are others that fans would like to let go, but I think that a new GM will have to go there.

So what will be left?

Galchenyuk-Drouin-Gallagher
Hudon-Danault-Sherbak
Lehkonen-Byron-Shaw
Deslauriers-Froese-Gregoire(?)
The other Shaw as a spare tire.

I'd like to see Mete paired with Petry to see if they could be a potential 2nd pairing. Alzner-Juulsen, Schlemko-Lernout. Last two pairings competing for the last pairing next year.

Weber is gone, Price might as well take the season off,

So Lindgren, Niemi all the way.

Can this team tank into the bottom 3?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad