What player will be massively overrated following his playoff performance?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
1000000000%

Joel Armia

30 points scorer in a top6 with PP time
having the playoff of his career

I cant remember who it was. One year in the playoffs some 4th line grinder just went on an absolute tear and was putting up over a point per game in the playoffs. Thing was, he was a legit 4th liner. Scored something like 20 points in a full season, then topped it during the playoffs. Of course the very next season he fell back down to earth and never reached those levels again. For that team though he was the man that year during the playoffs. ( I want to say the flyers for their first cup run. Though I think I'd be wrong.)

Anyway, I bring this up because that would fit perfectly with OP's topic.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Point. He’s an absolute stud but playing with Kuch helps him a ton

I agree with Kuch helping him tremendously. Point is a below ppg center in the regular season without Kuch, and he scored 90+ with Kuch, big difference.

Still not sure about overrating him - because that's two years in a row he's absolutely huge in playoffs. And as much as Kuch helps him in playoffs too, Point also deserves a ton of the credit for his performances in the playoffs.

So if Point is to be looked at as a ~ppg or so center in the regular season, but a guy who can step up huge come playoffs - I think that's worthy of being rated pretty high.

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Price is the most overrated player for the last 10 years, and now it will only increase.

Great goalie, but no better than Rask for the last decade and Rask is constantly shitted on, while Price can't do no wrong. Even if he let's in 5 goals in 24 shots, it's still the best goalie performance when giving up 5 goals in history :laugh:

JimmyH

May 19, 2018
Texas
Based on these assumptions:

1. Tampa wins the series
2. It's not Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevskiy or Stamkos

Too early to tell, but possibly Killorn or Gourde. Both are no-doubt world-class skaters but I'd say they benefit more from the opportunities created for them than they create beneficial opportunities for other skaters. They can be relied upon but rarely do either do anything that blows your mind.

Tyler Johnson falls into the "correctly-rated" category. Beautiful move in G1 that Price denied but he still has his bursts of hustle and speed on the off-timing rush.

Cernac is kind of a monster out there so anything he does gets overshadowed by his physical presence.

Cirelli has always been underrated.

Maybe Pat Maroon gets the overrated award for his 3-straight.

Reactions: Andrew DeWeerd

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Over the last 4 years, he's 29th out of 44 goalies for save% (minimum 100+ games played) with only one season above 0.910, which was 3 years ago.

No doubt he's been really solid these playoffs, but the last 4 years he's been playing at a similar calibre to guys like Reimer, Bernier, Mrazek, Koskinen, etc, while still regularly being referred to as the best goalie in the world by analysts. So I agree, he's definitely one of the big ones who will be overrated, unless he can turn back time on a 4 year trend which is like a ~200 game sample size.

Maybe the most interesting one though is Danault, because he's a UFA. I really have no clue what his next contract should look like, especially in a league that when it comes to forwards, mostly pays the big $$ for offensive numbers rather than defensive ability.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I cant remember who it was. One year in the playoffs some 4th line grinder just went on an absolute tear and was putting up over a point per game in the playoffs. Thing was, he was a legit 4th liner. Scored something like 20 points in a full season, then topped it during the playoffs. Of course the very next season he fell back down to earth and never reached those levels again. For that team though he was the man that year during the playoffs. ( I want to say the flyers for their first cup run. Though I think I'd be wrong.)

Anyway, I bring this up because that would fit perfectly with OP's topic.

The one that comes to mind is Ville Leino, though he did have a monster regular season to match before crashing down:

Ville Leino Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Point. He’s an absolute stud but playing with Kuch helps him a ton

Tell me you don't understand what overrated means without telling me that you don't know what overrated means.

Point has been in the 90 point range for several years. Even if playing with Kucherov helps him a ton... he's still over a PPG and that's been consistent. This playoff run isn't inflating his stature any more than several years of actually playing well has.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Let’s imagine this potential scenario:

Bolts beat Habs for Cup

Point leads in goals and wins CS

Who says no:

TBL: Point, Stamkos, TJo

Toronto: Matthews, Nylander

Stamkos is a hair under PPG playoff career and he’s PPG this year (despite his “playoff choking reputation thats pretty damn good). Point as mentioned has led the playoffs in goals over the last 5 years and is PPG playoffs.

Matthews and Nylander well under PPG in the playoffs. Far under actually.

Toronto just saw the hated Habs go to the Cup Finals and they know they’ve been choking in the playoffs.

IMO both teams say no, but for different reasons. Tampa because they want 3 peat and loyalty with same core. But Toronto really really thinks about it. More than they should IMO

Tampa says no. And they say no pretty easily. They have their guys. They like their guys. What do they actually gain at this point by making this swap?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Over the last 4 years, he's 29th out of 44 goalies for save% (minimum 100+ games played) with only one season above 0.910, which was 3 years ago.

No doubt he's been really solid these playoffs, but the last 4 years he's been playing at a similar calibre to guys like Reimer, Bernier, Mrazek, Koskinen, etc, while still regularly being referred to as the best goalie in the world by analysts. So I agree, he's definitely one of the big ones who will be overrated, unless he can turn back time on a 4 year trend which is like a ~200 game sample size.

Maybe the most interesting one though is Danault, because he's a UFA. I really have no clue what his next contract should look like, especially in a league that when it comes to forwards, mostly pays the big $$ for offensive numbers rather than defensive ability.
Price has had to deal with a lot of injuries and the last few years. He has to play so much games to cover for the subpar defense corps we have had. Just compare with the auxiliary during those years. When you play 60 games, you can't expect to be on top of your game and post good average stats. When it counts, you can count on Price. Reimer, Bernier, Mrazek, Koskinen come on. KOSKINEN!!! If anything you're underrating Price now!

I think most of the overrating comes from a few habs fans, but mostly other fan base. The typical, Montreal just wins because of Price...

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Price has had to deal with a lot of injuries and the last few years. He has to play so much games to cover for the subpar defense corps we have had. Just compare with the auxiliary during those years. When you play 60 games, you can't expect to be on top of your game and post good average stats. When it counts, you can count on Price. Reimer, Bernier, Mrazek, Koskinen come on. KOSKINEN!!! If anything you're underrating Price now!

I think most of the overrating comes from a few habs fans, but mostly other fan base. The typical, Montreal just wins because of Price...

Subpar defense does not cause an elite goalies sv % to drop by that much, really. Bad defense can expose an average goalie though. Price would not even be a starter right now if it wasn't for his terrible contract and Habs are going to have an incredible rough 5 years. This was his last hurrah and there will be no easy path to the playoffs or the finals again. I have to agree. Price has been overrated for the better part of a decade but this year is just unreal.

Next most overrated is Point. We've seen how he does with and without Kuch as recently as this year and people still think he's the MVP of that team. He's great and any team would love to have him but people are blowing him out of proportion. It reminds me of Kane/Toews...

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Don't get me wrong Point has an incredible ability to score up close but you don't score as many goals unless you have somebody feeding you the puck and in that case Kucherov allows Point to achieve that 1.16 PPG status compared to being a 0.9 PPG status
That tends to be the case in a team sport no?
This seems like a fairly routine criticism of almost every star

Anyways, depends what you’re rating players on. I think there’s a difference of “best player” in terms of talent vs terms of performance.

No way Point is overrated in the latter sense since he pretty consistent when it matters and every goal he scores feels like a big goal and or a back breaker, playing defensive stuff at the right moments, he’s everywhere, net front doing what forwards generally need to do when it comes to playoff hockey,
*as opposed to some players who try to continue doing stuff that only works in the regular seasom.

Vs Barzal (different example/idea) who I think is equally talented to Point but gets overrated by the NBC crew cooonstantly singing his praises even when he does nothing like in the Bolts isles series *last year lol.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Subpar defense does not cause an elite goalies sv % to drop by that much, really. Bad defense can expose an average goalie though. Price would not even be a starter right now if it wasn't for his terrible contract and Habs are going to have an incredible rough 5 years. This was his last hurrah and there will be no easy path to the playoffs or the finals again. I have to agree. Price has been overrated for the better part of a decade but this year is just unreal.

Next most overrated is Point. We've seen how he does with and without Kuch as recently as this year and people still think he's the MVP of that team. He's great and any team would love to have him but people are blowing him out of proportion. It reminds me of Kane/Toews...

Watching both of Tampa's playoff runs, outside of making quick plays in the offensive zone (not to be underestimated mind you) Point has been better by a lot. Overall there is no doubt about how close they are in value to the team when it matters most. Kucherov racks up the points, but watching the games Point drives the play and is defensively superior by a whopping margin while scoring way more goals.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Price is absolutely a starter and a bad defense + high work load does drop a goalie's sv% significantly. You're pretty much underrating him saying he isn't even a starter if it wasn't for his contract. FYI, his contract hasn't been a problem whatsoever so far for Montreal.
There were no easy way to the cup for anyone this year, that's bs.
I agree Price has been overrated by the media, but mostly by TSN/Sportsnet from outside of Montreal. Sure we have fans/media that do as well, but they aren't the majority of us.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Go Bolts

Aug 27, 2020
Tampa, FL
Kinda yeah. He’s a very good player, amazing skating, hands and finish and plays great in both zones. But with Kuch he’s on another level it’s insane. They have amazing chemistry and complement each other perfectly.

Agreed. Point needs Kucherov to play his best hockey, his regular-season numbers were down this year without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00