What player will be massively overrated following his playoff performance?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I know. He won a faceoff and had two secondary assists. None of them demonstrated him being a great playmaker.

Yeah they just showed how good he is defensively breaking up a 3 on 2 and starting the rush the other way leading to the first goal of the finals.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Yeah they just showed how good he is defensively breaking up a 3 on 2 and starting the rush the other way leading to the first goal of the finals.

Sure, I'm not arguing he isn't good defensively. I don't know why people keep replying with stuff that has nothing to do with my original point.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Way to not address 3/4 of my post!

Your response is exactly why I think he will be massively overrated.

This thread is about players becoming massively overrated, its hard to overrate a player who is the first to do something since Gretzky or Lemieux. Point is a playoff beast and has proved it.
Instead you want to try to zero in on the fact his assists aren't as impressive as his goals and his goals aren't sustainable. But none of that matters because the numbers he's put speak for themselves.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Since he has entered the league, in 66 GP, he is scoring at 22.4% in the playoffs. Nobody else is above 20% with at least 30gp.

Do you believe that will continue in the future?

It's almost like he is better than other players... imagine that.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
As for your other post, yeah, you're not blowing anyones minds by saying you don't think a guy can sustain shooting nearly 30%. That said, this is postseason 3 of doing it, and barring 2019, he tends to shoot about 20% in the postseason.

@GJB @Breakers

Some of the best regular season and playoff goal scorers of all time

Regular Season (RS) v Playoff (P) Shooting % since Gretzky entered the league

Gretzky RS - 17.6% P - 17.5% (-0.1%)
Messier RS - 16.4% P - 16.2% (-0.2%)
Hull RS - 15.2% P - 12.8% (-2.4%)
Anderson RS - 16% P - 16.8% (+0.8%)
Sakic RS - 13.5% P - 14.4% (+0.9%)
Bossy RS - 21% P - 20.4% (-0.6%)
Jagr RS - 13.2% P - 11.4% (-1.8%)
Ovechkin RS - 12.8% P - 11.5% (-1.3%)
Lemieux RS - 19% P - 18.9% (-0.1%)
Crosby RS - 14.6% P - 13.3% (-1.3%)

Point RS - 17.3% P - 22.4% (+5.1%)
This is second all time in playoff shooting percentage with at least 60GP since Gretzky entered the league
First place is Craig Simpson at 33.6% (Regular season 25.3%)

Simpson also had a small sample size of 67gp and scored 36 playoff goals with 2 fantastic runs that ended in Stanley Cups in 1988 & 1990. He also led his team in playoff goals in both Stanley Cup runs with Gretzky and Messier on his teams. Point is currently at 66gp and 36 playoff goals! Leads his team in goals in both Stanely Cup runs. Simpson also didn't have the greatest regular seasons only being a ppg player twice in 11 seasons. Point has only been ppg once. Very, very similar to Brayden Point numbers wise at this point in his career.

Last edited:

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
This thread is about players becoming massively overrated, its hard to overrate a player who is the first to do something since Gretzky or Lemieux. Point is a playoff beast and has proved it.

One day you might realize why this is not as impressive as it seems at first glance. There are very few teams that have gone back to back and very few players can be lucky enough to shoot 35% over their career average for back to back playoff runs. Same thing with people talking about Kucherov back to back 30+ playoff points.

Instead you want to try to zero in on the fact his assists aren't as impressive as his goals and his goals aren't sustainable. But none of that matters because the numbers he's put speak for themselves.

No, I was zeroing in on how Montreal was shutting him down offensively in the series so far. Close him off physically with multiple bodies. By far the hardest he has been targeted so far. He doesn't have top level playmaking ability because he loves to hold on to the puck and it is showing.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The way the media slobbers over Blake Coleman as if he is like some elite top 6 player is gonna get him way overpaid.

Barclay Goodrow gets hyped up for basically doing nothing out there. He's your average good 4th liner. But the media acts like he is why they've won. Its bonkers to me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yep. Even if someone is playing like the second coming of Bob Gainey, 4 points (1 goal) in 21 games shouldn't cut it for someone playing close to 19 minutes per night.

Wait until he gets hilariously overpaid in free agency by the Habs or some other desperate team.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
One day you might realize why this is not as impressive as it seems at first glance. There are very few teams that have gone back to back and very few players can be lucky enough to shoot 35% over their career average for back to back playoff runs. Same thing with people talking about Kucherov back to back 30+ playoff points.

You're in a thread calling Brayden Point overrated in the playoffs when only Lemieux, Gretzky, MacKinnon, Kucherov and Forsberg have a better ppg in the last 30 years. (50gp minimum)

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
You're in a thread calling Brayden Point overrated in the playoffs when only Lemieux, Gretzky, MacKinnon, Kucherov and Forsberg have a better ppg in the last 30 years. (50gp minimum)
Did you read the title of the thread? Notice the part where it says "following his playoff performance"
And you have completely missed the point despite the boatload of evidence I've presented.
Since you seem to need me to spell it out... He is producing far ahead of expectation and that won't continue going forward.
I'm more than happy to make a very large wager with you.
Truth is Point is pretty much the same as Craig Simpson at this point numbers & career wise.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Did you read the title of the thread? Notice the part where it says "following his playoff performance"
Truth is Point is pretty much the same as Craig Simpson at this point numbers & career wise.

The highest Craig Simpson finished on his team in regular season scoring is 3rd and he did it a grand total of once.

Brayden Point has already finished 3rd on his team 3 times and 1st this year, they are not nearly the same player when you look at how much they've contributed to their teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad