What player will be massively overrated following his playoff performance?

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
I don’t think it’s fair to assume Points regular season numbers were down only because he didn’t have Kucherov this year.. No doubt Kucherov is a big help, but Point is also well known at this point for elevating his game in the playoffs.

Take a look at a video of Points playoff highlights and it’s amazing how much offense he can generate on his own.

Reactions: vshun

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Point has always been a beast for Tampa.

The obvious answer is flash in the pan players like Caufield

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I cant remember who it was. One year in the playoffs some 4th line grinder just went on an absolute tear and was putting up over a point per game in the playoffs. Thing was, he was a legit 4th liner. Scored something like 20 points in a full season, then topped it during the playoffs. Of course the very next season he fell back down to earth and never reached those levels again. For that team though he was the man that year during the playoffs. ( I want to say the flyers for their first cup run. Though I think I'd be wrong.)

Anyway, I bring this up because that would fit perfectly with OP's topic.

Someone else already pointed out Ville Leino, which would fit based on your thought that it was a Flyers player, but I also want to throw Fernando Pisani in the mix. 14 goals during the 2006 playoffs in 24 games. He only had one regular season in his entire career where he scored more goals than that, and it was from that year's regular season when he scored 18 in 80 games. He played 271 games the rest of his career after that postseason, scoring only 45 goals (+44 assists) in that time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Someone else already pointed out Ville Leino, which would fit based on your thought that it was a Flyers player, but I also want to throw Fernando Pisani in the mix. 14 goals during the 2006 playoffs in 24 games. He only had one regular season in his entire career where he scored more goals than that, and it was from that year's regular season when he scored 18 in 80 games. He played 271 games the rest of his career after that postseason, scoring only 45 goals (+44 assists) in that time.

I want to say it was in the 80's. I remember watching something about it and then googling it. Was pretty amazed by it. I just don't to spend the time required to find the player :laugh:

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I want to say it was in the 80's. I remember watching something about it and then googling it. Was pretty amazed by it. I just don't to spend the time required to find the player :laugh:

While we're down this rabbit hole, John Druce of the 1990 Capitals scored eight goals in 45 regular season games, and then proceeded to absolutely light up the Rangers in the 2nd round of the playoffs, scoring nine goals (1 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 1) across five games, including the series winning goal in OT of Game 5. He scored 14 goals in total that postseason.

But he then had his two best statistical seasons in the two years that followed, but that goal scoring form at the NHL level, at the time, definitely just sort of emerged from thin air.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Suzuki and Caufield are real deals. I think if Tampa wins in 5 noone on MTL gets overrated. Actually think Habs fans underrate their guys (wanted to scratch Gallagher)

Tampa's team defense and "dominance" will be overrated

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
While we're down this rabbit hole, John Druce of the 1990 Capitals scored eight goals in 45 regular season games, and then proceeded to absolutely light up the Rangers in the 2nd round of the playoffs, scoring nine goals (1 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 1) across five games, including the series winning goal in OT of Game 5. He scored 14 goals in total that postseason.

But he then had his two best statistical seasons in the two years that followed, but that goal scoring form at the NHL level, at the time, definitely just sort of emerged from thin air.

Think it might of been Anders Kallur.

Regular season. 55 games played for 14 points. Playoffs 20 games played for 15 points. That was in 82-83 season.

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Not sure about overrated but watching the finals Kucherov may be the most underrated player in the league. The guy does it all. Hits, mucks it up, scores and is maybe the best passer in the league or close to it. I saw a lot of lists that didn’t even have him in the top 5 forwards.

It's all recency bias. Kuch missed the entire regular season so suddenly he didn't exist. Now he's back and having a stellar playoffs and suddenly he's the second coming of Jesus again. HFBoards tends to have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to these things. Realistically how anyone could not have Kuch in their top 5 after his body of work over the last 4-5 years is quite a head scratcher - even prior to this playoffs.

I'd probably put Price in this category, but not because he isn't a very good goalie. Prior to this series he was being thrown around as the greatest goalie of this generation and such. Recency bias now having people dump on him after losing the goalie battle tonight... In reality he is likely a top 3-5 goalie in the League.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Matthew Danault 100%
One team is going to offer him a regrettable contract thinking he will be a shut-down dynamo they can send out and against a top line while he has next to no offense.

And if I remember correctly guess who's an UFA this off-season

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Super interesting to see how Montreal does next year. Are these young players actually good? If Suzuki, Caufield and Kotkaneimi are actually better than Matthews, Marner and Nylander that would be downright shakespearean.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Literally everyone on MTL.

That's funny, I was going to say literally everyone on Tampa, esp. their depth players like Killorn, Gourde, Palat and so forth. Tampa will have to dump some cap, and some team is going to get boned like Ottawa when they picked up Paquette and he floated till he was traded.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Caufield. He is such a media darling because he's swift and energetic, but he's just one of many players riding an effective system more than getting it done on pure skill. Montreal is a classic over-achieving team, and when they struggle to make the playoffs next season a lot of their media darlings will fall back to Earth.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
I love this thread lol. So many fans b*thurt or straight up jealous of the Habs run.
Keep on hating from your moms basements lol

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Shea Weber by far. Based on his performance in this year's playoffs, people think that he's still a capable defenseman, rather than a broken down shell of his former self, coasting on reputation.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Lol at the Toffoli name spelling in this thread.

I hope he comes back down to earth next season... with the schedule going back to normal.

Mainly because I'm a Canucks fan and tired of hearing about how Benning screwed it up. The dude had 9 games to take his anger out on us. Thank f*** we don't have to do that anymore.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Even if they lose, Price/Caufield/Suzuki/Kotkaniemi
Suzuki has the exact same PPG he did in the regular season.

Price is already at the tail end of his career and has won the Hart, Vezina, Olympic Gold. Not sure if you mean overrated as in his value going into the next regular season since he often underperforms? or overrating his overall legacy, which would be kind of stupid.

Kotkaniemi was already overrated because of his draft position, I'll agree on that.

Caufield is a Kessel like player. He's going to look great when he snipes and terrible when he screws up defensively. How you value what he does is largely subjective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad