Speculation: What is your teams expansion draft list?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
:nashville
For the last ~1 year we've been sitting on 4-4-1 as:
Forsberg-Duchene-Johansen-Arvidsson
Josi-Ekholm-Fabbro-Ellis
Saros

But then we traded for Kunin. And we might still sign another top-6 winger. Sooooo... a switch to 7-3-1 suddenly becomes more likely. And if that happens all bets are off. We need to see what happens next season.

I thought the same BUUUUT then I looked at Connor Ingram's stats from the AHL. He had similar stats to SHESTERKIN while a year younger. Unless the Preds make a trade, goal might be a crapshoot.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Isn't Grubauer a UFA after this season? Couldn't they wait to sign an extension until after the expansion draft, allowing the team to protect Francouz, and keep both of them?

I also could see the team protecting Compher over Jost.

I'm not sure how the whole free agency thing works with the expansion draft. But if you let him go to free agency you risk losing your starter to 31 other teams.. if the avs lose francouz they can replace him in short term with werner and annunen in the long term.

I would rather keep compher over jost aswell, however josts smaller contract would be more beneficial to the team if seattle picks a forward and leaves graves, toews, makar, girard, Johnson's contracts on the blueline

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Read the Klefbom will be exempt under the 40/70 rule if he doesn't play at all this year. He has to play either 40 games this year or 70 games combined using 2019-2020 and 2020-2021. He's short 4 games for the combined. If that's the case, I'd switch to 7-3-1. Adding JP, Benson and either Kass or Turris.

Klefbom wouldn't be exempt, he just couldn't be used to meet the Oilers minimum requirements. Seattle could still take him if the Oilers left him exposed.

The only scenario in which Klefbom would be deemed exempt would be if he's determined to have a likely career ending injury. In which case protecting him becomes sort of irrelevant even if Seattle could take him.

For the Oilers I think a lot depends on the seasons that Puljujarvi and Jones have. If Puljujarvi has a good year the Oilers may go 7-3-1. If Jones has a good one they could go 4-4-1. If they both have a good year they'll be in a bit of a pickle. Unless of course Klefbom isn't ever going to play again. Then it's an easy 7-3-1 for Edmonton (and a huge loss considering he is their #1D).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wonder if Seattle would draft Pilut with the hopes they can convince him to come back, since there isn't many great options on Buffalo.

Pilut is expansion exempt unless he signs a NHL contract for 2020-21. Only two seasons of NHL experience.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Pilut is expansion exempt unless he signs a NHL contract for 2020-21. Only two seasons of NHL experience.

Ah, Capfriendly had Pilut on their draft eligible list in their simulator so thought he was.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
:nucks
The players that are for sure getting protected are Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Bo Horvat, Nate Schmidt, Tyler Myers, and Thatcher Demko. Quinn Hughes is exempt from a protection slot. The rest of the slots are up for grab imo.
Umm why is Myers and his terrible contract a lock to get protected? I’d rather protect Juolevi and another defensemen we acquire.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Canucks:

EP
Horvat
Miller
Boeser
Virtanen
Gaudette
MacEwan

Schmidt
Juolevi
(a defensemen that we acquire OR ufa edler)

Demko

Exposed:

Ferland
Roussel
Beagle
Motte

Myers

Holtby

My guess is that Seattle takes Motte.

Also, does anyone know which prospects would be exempt? Are prospects in Europe exempt?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
:wings

1. Larkin
2. Mantha
3. Bertuzzi
4. Fabbri
5. Namestnikov
6. Rasmussen
7. Svechnikov
----------------safe:
Zadina, Veleno, Raymond, Brome, Pearson etc.
-----------------Left exposed
- Dmytro Timashov
- Adam Erne
- Givani Smith
- Taro Hirose
- Dominic Turgeon

1. Hronek
2. DeKeyser
3. Lindström
--------------------safe:
Moritz Seider, Jared McIsaac, Albert Johansson
------------------Left exposed
- Troy Stecher
- Dennis Cholowski
- Joe Hicketts

1.Tomas Greiss
------------------left exposed
- Kaden Fulcher

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Flyers

Giroux(NMC), Couturier, Hayes(NMC), Konecny, Lindblom, Voracek, Patrick(for now)
Provy, Sanheim, Myers
Hart

exposed:
Van Riemsdyk, NAK,
Ghost, Braun, Hagg, Friedman
Sandstrom

Might need to trade a 2nd to take JVR but thats best outcome.

For all NON Phila fans JVR is a decent 45-55 point player. He's far from bad but is redundant on THIS roster. Other young wings are being blocked/limited include:

Farabee, Lindblom, Frost, and NAK

Also his cap hit is like $3m too high

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dallas will likely be 7-3-1. I’m not 100% on their clauses, but I think Radulov and Pavelski are eligible to be exposed. The biggest question is likely how they see Dickinson. I could see a forward trade too.

F: Benn, Seguin, Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov, Pavelski, Radulov.
D: Heiskanen, Klingberg, Lindell
G: Bishop

Exposed: Dickinson, Sekera, Khudobin
Exempt: Kiviranta, Oettinger, Camaano...
UFA: Comeau, Cogliano, Oleksiak, Pysyk, Dowling

Pavelski is not going to be protected. That last year of his contract for 37 year old is super unattractive to take for an expansion franchise. What expansion team wants a 37 year old costing $8M salary ( at an $7M Caphit ) with a super restrictive NTC ( he can only be traded to 3 teams ) ? Unless Seattle plans to make Pavs captain for a year i don't see why he would be chosen by the Kraken.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Minnesota protects 8:

Forwards:
Parise - NMC
Zuccarello - NMC
Fiala
Ericksson EK

Def:
Suter - NMC
Spurgeon - NMC
Brodin - NMC
Dumba

Goal:
Kahkonen

I think there is a chance that Parise waives his NMC since I don't see Seattle picking him and in that case the Wild most likely protects Greenway with his spot.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

Are we sure about this? I can't find the official legalese anywhere, but the closest I can find is at nhl.com that says "All first- and second-year" players are exempt. Because the draft takes place before the end of the NHL fiscal year, this means players who just finished playing in their second season are still second-year players because the calendar on the fiscal year hasn't rolled over yet. Barring the covid-likely schedule madness, the fiscal year starts July 1 and the expansion draft in June, so players like Kakko, Hughes, and Hughes will be still in (the final weeks of) their second years. But as far as I can tell, when the 2019-2020 fiscal year ended, anyone for whom that was their second season is no longer a second-year player. It doesn't seem to me like whether Pilut signs/plays this year or not matters - his time as a second-year pro ended when the 2019-2020 fiscal year ended.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Actually I believe it'll be Kole Lind, Zack Macewan or Tyler Motte at this point. Were dreaming if they take an overpaid asset when theres three young forwards available
Sure, then we lose a 4th liner or B prospect. My point still stands that we won't lose much value.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
:sens

Ottawa, assuming all RFAs will be qualified/re- signed. I'm not expecting no UFAs to be re-signed, no point listing them

PROTECTED: Brown, Logan (C), White, Colin (RW/C), Batherson, Drake (C/RW), Brown, Connor (LW/RW), Tkachuk, Brady (LW/C), Dadonov, Evgeni (RW/LW), Formenton, Alex (LW), Chabot, Thomas (LD), Brännström, Erik (RD), Wolanin, Christian (LD), Murray, Matt (G)

EXPOSED: Abramov, Vitaly (LW), Carcone, Michael (LW/C), Paul, Nicholas (C/LW), Beaudin, J.C. (C/RW), Chlapik, Filip (C), Tierney, Chris (C), Kelly, Parker (C/LW), Shaw, Logan (C/RW), Watson, Austin (RW/LW), Mirnov, Igor (RW), Balcers, Rūdolfs (RW/LW), Davidsson, Jonathan (RW), Alsing, Olle (LD), Lajoie, Maxime (LD), Zaitsev, Nikita (RD), Brown, Joshua (RD), Zub, Artem (RD), Jaros, Christian (RD), Gustavsson, Filip (G), Högberg, Marcus (G)

EXEMPT: Norris, Joshua (C), Kastelic, Mark (C), Lodin, Viktor (C/LW), Burgess, Todd (C/RW), Pinto, Shane (C), Stützle, Tim (C/LW), Greig, Ridly (LW), Järventie, Roby (LW), Sokolov, Egor (LW), Aspirot, Jonathan (LD), Sanderson, Jake (LD), Tychonick, Jonathan (LD), Wikstrand, Mikael (LD), Kleven, Tyler (LD), Thomson, Lassi (RD), Guénette, Maxence (RD), Bernard-Docker, Jacob (D), Lyamin, Kirill (D), Søgaard, Mads (G), Meriläinen, Leevi (G), Mandolese, Kevin (G), Daccord, Joey (G)

NOTE: I Left Tierney exposed, since I think that he'll be traded before end of season.

Tierney makes the most sense for Seattle. Maybe Brown

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
:wings

1. Larkin
2. Mantha
3. Bertuzzi
4. Fabbri
5. Namestnikov
6. Rasmussen
7. Svechnikov
----------------safe:
Zadina, Veleno, Raymond, Brome, Pearson etc.
-----------------Left exposed
- Dmytro Timashov
- Adam Erne
- Givani Smith
- Taro Hirose
- Dominic Turgeon

1. Hronek
2. DeKeyser
3. Lindström
--------------------safe:
Moritz Seider, Jared McIsaac, Albert Johansson
------------------Left exposed
- Troy Stecher
- Dennis Cholowski
- Joe Hicketts

1.Tomas Greiss
------------------left exposed
- Kaden Fulcher
Pretty sure both Rasmussen and Lindstrom will be staying overseas this season, So both would only still have 2 years in the minors and majors. Therefore both would be exempt from the expansion draft next summer and not need to be protected.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Both have NMC's, so they must be protected. (Radulov has a 15 team M-NTC, and an NMC, but the NMC protects him from this as it is not a trade.)

I think the no-movement clause for Pavelski was only for two of the three seasons. I wasn't sure on Radulov, but it appears you're right about that one. The debate I've heard seems to be whether to protect Pavelski or Dickinson.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
How can you be a fan of a team that barely even exists yet? Big Ron Francis fan? Live in the Seattle area and are excited for a team to cheer for in the future? I really don't know how anyone can classify themselves as a fan of a team that doesn't have a roster? Who's your favorite player on the team? Haha

Edit: not trying to be a douche, just something that struck me as odd

what about anyone who lives in the Pacific Northwest?

Reactions: bert and Sinbad

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm not sure how the whole free agency thing works with the expansion draft. But if you let him go to free agency you risk losing your starter to 31 other teams.. if the avs lose francouz they can replace him in short term with werner and annunen in the long term.

I would rather keep compher over jost aswell, however josts smaller contract would be more beneficial to the team if seattle picks a forward and leaves graves, toews, makar, girard, Johnson's contracts on the blueline

No question there's a risk, but I'm talking about having the extension fully negotiated, and just waiting until the day after the expansion draft to actually sign it. I struggle to believe that Grubauer would seriously entertain offers from other teams, given that he's the starter for a team that looks poised to contend for the Cup.

And there's arguments both ways between Compher and Jost. Really, I think there's a few different options for that 7th F slot that will depend on how the season plays out. And, who knows, Sakic might have a completely different idea of who should be protected, or pull off some crazy trade with Seattle to get them to select EJ.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Penguins will protect the top 6 (Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, Kapanen, Rust) and the top pair (Dumo, Letang) plus Jarry

At forward, that leaves them one spot for whoever looks like the 3C long term between Blueger, McCann, Jankowski. Personal guess would be Blueger

One spot at D for whoever looks better this year between Pettersson and Matheson. Marino is exempt, Ceci is a UFA

If Seattle is choosing between McCann, Tanev, ZAR, Jankowski at forward and one of Pettersson or Matheson at D, I would guess they pick the defenseman on the long-term deal.

Best guess would be Pettersson chosen in expansion[/QUOTE
McCann or tanev gets exposed. Probably McCann. That third like is brutal and he will problay suffer big-time. No one is protecting MM on defense. Just not happening. If letang doesn't stop the turnovers he may go..

OmazingGrace

Apr 19, 2019
Unless Dumba is traded Wild will go 4-4-1

Parise, Zuccerello, Ek, Fiala
Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba
Kahkonen

Exposed: Talbot, Soucy, Greenway, Sturm, Stalock, Rask
That definitely does not look good for Minnesota.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Habs.

Depends entirely on how the season goes. Danault could get re-signed, Drouin could get exposed

On D, it's pretty much set that Weber, Petry, and Chiarot are the ones being protected, in net Price is safe.

On forwards, id imagine it would be...
Gallagher
Danault
Toffoli
Andersen
Drouin
Kotkaneimi
Armia/ Lehkonen
I'd expose Drouin for cap savings though, Weber too (to plan for the future).

Habs will likely lose Juulsen or Fluery though. Hopefully not Juulsen, I'm still a big fan of his upside.

Seattle picks: Noah Juulsen

If Allen has an even respectable year taking some of the load off of Price and has stats like he did last year, not to mention being signed to a much more palatable contract for two years (2 years, $5.75m total), Seattle takes him, imo...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Are we sure about this? I can't find the official legalese anywhere, but the closest I can find is at nhl.com that says "All first- and second-year" players are exempt. Because the draft takes place before the end of the NHL fiscal year, this means players who just finished playing in their second season are still second-year players because the calendar on the fiscal year hasn't rolled over yet. Barring the covid-likely schedule madness, the fiscal year starts July 1 and the expansion draft in June, so players like Kakko, Hughes, and Hughes will be still in (the final weeks of) their second years. But as far as I can tell, when the 2019-2020 fiscal year ended, anyone for whom that was their second season is no longer a second-year player. It doesn't seem to me like whether Pilut signs/plays this year or not matters - his time as a second-year pro ended when the 2019-2020 fiscal year ended.

It was later clarified as players who accrued Professional Seasons. So to be eligible a player would need to have three Professional Seasons. Pilut has 2 at this moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad