Speculation: What is your teams expansion draft list?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There will be plenty of trades and changes by the time the expansion draft rolls around, but as of now what does your team's expansion draft list look like?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Habs.

Depends entirely on how the season goes. Danault could get re-signed, Drouin could get exposed

On D, it's pretty much set that Weber, Petry, and Chiarot are the ones being protected, in net Price is safe.

On forwards, id imagine it would be...
Gallagher
Danault
Toffoli
Andersen
Drouin
Kotkaneimi
Armia/ Lehkonen
I'd expose Drouin for cap savings though, Weber too (to plan for the future).

Habs will likely lose Juulsen or Fluery though. Hopefully not Juulsen, I'm still a big fan of his upside.

Seattle picks: Noah Juulsen

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Protected:
F: Barzal, Nelson, Pageau, Lee, Beauvillier, Eberle, Bailey
D: Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield
G: Schneider

Exposed:
F: Komarov, Martin, Clutterbuck, Czikas, Johnston, Dal Colle, Bellows, Johnston, Ladd
D: Boychuk, Leddy, Hickey, Aho
G: Varlamov

Not Eligible:
F: Wahlstrom, Holmstrom
D: Dobson, Wilde, Bolduc
G: Sorokin

There's more eligible but that's pretty much anyone "of note".

It's quite clear that Francis will pick up the one-time Cy Young award winner Andrew Ladd. He'd be stupid to make any other choice and Francis is a smart cookie.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
For the Rangers:

Protections:
Goalie: Georgiev
Defense: Trouba, DeAngelo, Lindgren
Forwards: Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Buchnevich, Chytil, then 2 of Howden, Gauthier, Strome, Lemieux

Exposed Players:
Goalie: Kinkaid
Defense: Bitetto, Hajek, Crawley, Raddysh
Forwards: Rooney, Blackwell, plus 2 of Howden, Gauthier, Strome, Lemieux

Exempt:
Goalie: Shesterkin, Huska, Wall
Defense: Fox, Miller, Rykov
Forward: Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov, Barron, Richards, Khodorenko, Rueschhoff, Elmer, Newell

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Forwards: Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, DeBrusk, Kase, Smith

Frederic, Bjork and Senyshyn looking to prove they deserve to be protected over Kase/Smith.

Defense: McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz

Zboril and Lauzon looking to prove they deserve to be protected over Gryz.

I assume they re-sign Rask and keep him. If Vladar repeats last season in the AHL, could see him getting protected instead with Rask being exposed as a UFA.

Notable exempt: Studnicka, Vaakaneinen, Swayman

Notable exposed: Krejci (UFA), Zboril, Lauzon, Vladar, Ritchie, Bjork, Frederic, Senyshyn

Reactions: PAZ and Fisticuffer

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Rangers, as constructed, go 7:3:1. The bolded have NMC and must be protected

Forwards:
Panarin
Zibanejad
Kreider

Buchnevich
Chytil
Then 2 of the following : Strome, Lemieux, Howden, Gauthier

Exposing: Rooney & Blackwell, remainder of the above

Defense:
Trouba
DeAngelo
Lindgren

Exposing: Bitetto, Hajek

Goalie:
Georgiev

Exposing: Kinkaid

Anyone else that is relevent and not mentioned is exempt.

I expect Strome will not be a Ranger come the trade deadline in 2021, if not sooner. Therefore, I expect whoever of Lemiuex Howden or Gauthier to be lost in the draft, with a very outside shot of Hajek if he improves this year. All in all not terribly costly.

Reactions: Fisticuffer and PAZ

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
c653e7c02e1a73bfa485534f6e50ee12.jpg

7f
Giroux
Couturier
Konecky
Hayes
Lindblom
Patrick
Voracek
3d
Myers
Sanheim
Provorov
g
Hart

exempt-Farabee, Frost,
free agent 2021 so not on list Laughton E Gus
available Kubel, JVR, Ghost, Hagg, Braun

Questions/comments: As of today easy call is take Ghost but 50/50 he is even on the Flyers roster opening night. If Patrick plays over half the season he is kept no brainer. If he plays only 10 games more difficult call. If Frost, Farabee, Lindblom, Patrick are what you hope they are, you let Laughton walk. But if Patrick is out the year I can see Laughton resigned and take Patrick spot. Do you expose Voracek in covid world? For this exercise I say no but if want to expose and go after D Hamilton/different f next year, I get it. JVR isn't going anywhere unless Flyers include a pick.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Forwards: Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, DeBrusk, Kase, Smith

Frederic, Bjork and Senyshyn looking to prove they deserve to be protected over Kase/Smith.

Defense: McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz

Zboril and Lauzon looking to prove they deserve to be protected over Gryz.

I assume they re-sign Rask and keep him. If Vladar repeats last season in the AHL, could see him getting protected instead with Rask being exposed as a UFA.

Notable exempt: Studnicka, Vaakaneinen, Swayman

Notable exposed: Krejci (UFA), Zboril, Lauzon, Vladar, Ritchie, Bjork, Frederic, Senyshyn
I highly doubt Frederic or Senyshen play the amount of games to qualify to be eligible. Need to play 40 games. Unless I misunderstood the rules.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
for the Devils as it stands right now:

Blackwood

Severson
Subban
Butcher (though I guess it depends if they re-sign Ryan Murray....if so, he would replace Butcher)

Hischier
Palmieri (assuming he is re-signed)
Zajac (assuming he is re-signed)
Johnsson
Bratt
Zacha
Wood

EXEMPT- Hughes, Gusev, Boqvist

it really could go a lot of ways with so many guys' contract statuses up in the air. If Palmieri and/or Zajac are not re-signed, the forward protection list gets murky.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I highly doubt Frederic or Senyshen play the amount of games to qualify to be eligible. Need to play 40 games. Unless I misunderstood the rules.

No they have been around long enough to be eligible. What you are talking about is the requirements for one of the players with enough service time you have to expose. Bruins have that covered in the forward side with Wagner. On D, they actually need Moore, Zboril, or Lauzon to play 40 games, Clifton to play 31 games, or to bring back Chara. Check out Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Habs.

Depends entirely on how the season goes. Danault could get re-signed, Drouin could get exposed

On D, it's pretty much set that Weber, Petry, and Chiarot are the ones being protected, in net Price is safe.

Gallagher
Danault
Toffoli
Andersen
Drouin
Kotkaneimi
Armia/ Lehkonen

Habs will likely lose Juulsen or Fluery though. Hopefully not Juulsen, I'm still a big fan of his upside.

Keep Weber That chip is worth a fortune

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Habs.

Gallagher
Danault
Toffoli
Andersen
Drouin
Kotkaneimi
Armia/ Lehkonen

Juulsen would need to have a really good season for Seattle to pick him, because right now, his value is close to zero.

Right now, the most likely candidates to be picked are :
1- Lehkonen/Byron (whoever gets exposed)
2- Mete
3- Allen
4- Edmundson/Kulak
5- Juulsen/Fleury/Evans

Armia and Tatar will be UFA so I expect they will wait until after expansion draft to try to retain their services, unless one of them have a stellar year, in which case he would be protected over Lehkonen/Byron.

We are lucky to have our best youngsters exempt : Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Primeau, Romanov and Poehling.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Juulsen would need to have a really good season for Seattle to pick him, because right now, his value is close to zero.

Right now, the most likely candidates to be picked are :
1- Lehkonen/Byron (whoever gets exposed)
2- Mete
3- Allen
4- Edmundson/Kulak
5- Juulsen/Fleury/Evans

Armia and Tatar will be UFA so I expect they will wait until after expansion draft to try to retain their services, unless one of them have a stellar year, in which case he would be protected over Lehkonen/Byron.

We are lucky to have our best youngsters exempt : Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Primeau, Romanov and Poehling.

Kotkaneimi needs to be protected.

I don't see much appetite for selecting Allen, there's going to be lots of better goalie options available.

For Juulsen, he's shown he's an NHL caliber player pre-injury, he looked great. I think he's going to spend time in AHL but he's going to be back in the NHL before the equivalent of this year's Christmas.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Penguins will protect the top 6 (Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, Kapanen, Rust) and the top pair (Dumo, Letang) plus Jarry

At forward, that leaves them one spot for whoever looks like the 3C long term between Blueger, McCann, Jankowski. Personal guess would be Blueger

One spot at D for whoever looks better this year between Pettersson and Matheson. Marino is exempt, Ceci is a UFA

If Seattle is choosing between McCann, Tanev, ZAR, Jankowski at forward and one of Pettersson or Matheson at D, I would guess they pick the defenseman on the long-term deal.

Best guess would be Pettersson chosen in expansion

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
:nucks
The players that are for sure getting protected are Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Bo Horvat, Nate Schmidt, Tyler Myers, and Thatcher Demko. Quinn Hughes is exempt from a protection slot. The rest of the slots are up for grab imo.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Habs.

Gallagher
Danault
Toffoli
Andersen
Drouin
Kotkaneimi
Armia/ Lehkonen

Armia is Ufa and Lekhonen is RFA the choice is obvious.
Also habs are gonna lose Chariot or Edmundson.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Protected:
F: Barzal, Nelson, Pageau, Lee, Beauvillier, Eberle, Bailey
D: Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield
G: Schneider

Exposed:
F: Komarov, Martin, Clutterbuck, Czikas, Johnston, Dal Colle, Bellows, Johnston, Ladd
D: Boychuk, Leddy, Hickey, Aho
G: Varlamov

Not Eligible:
F: Wahlstrom, Holmstrom
D: Dobson, Wilde, Bolduc
G: Sorokin

Just my 2 cents Islanders should do 4-4-1 and protect Aho. Basically force Seattle to pick a 5M+ contract

Reactions: BatVader and qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad