Speculation: What is your teams expansion draft list?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Buffalo has his rights till UFA market in 2023 opens ..July 1 or a later date. He has to pay to break his contract to come back before the 2 yrs are done.

Most agree with the list that poster put on here assuming no transactions.

If they traded say Renhart and Mittlestadt in a big trade where a Dman comes back then they could go 8 skaters.

likely candidate taken in the draft is Borgrn at RD whose ELC ends in 2021.
Second likrly is a F exposed in Thompson/Asplund/Girgensons

I hats why I’d like buffalo to get a similar age RD back in a trade then buffalo has an A/B option for bottom RD.

I don’t see buffalo offering up something to take Okposo unless some major trade happens and they need cap space to resign an RFA.

I dont see Seattle taking Pilut. Pilut could opt not to come and just wait till he’s a UFA.

Is there new information? This article says his KHL contract has an NHL outclause.

Pilut could opt not to come and wait until UFA, but there's not really any upside to him doing that. Seattle would have to offer him a roster spot and possibly burn the rest of his RFA contract so he'd be 1-year away from being a UFA, but he definitely has the highest upside of the rest of the players. Not to mention that Seattle will still only have so many roster spots, so it may work in their favor they have an extra year to wait for Pilut to come over.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
DeAngelo, Buchnevich and Strome will be gone by trading deadline.

I wouldn't count on that. If we are a playoff spot, don't expect there to be a selloff. It's possible that one or more of those players will be traded to fill a need somewhere, but the player(s) coming back will need to protected.

I don't understand why so many fans are so quick to trade Buchnevich. Maybe at some point he will be expendable, but that day isn't today.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
No worries it’s a valid question.
I live in b.c and after a decade+ of blah, a couple years ago I got fed up with the team( not the Canucks btw)I used to cheer for but not the sport itself. Having supported the idea of a team in Seattle for the last 20ish years the timing was perfect and the idea of being there from day 1 was appealing. I guess it’s the Vegas factor. Plus it’s not quite the same without having an emotional interest despite how frustrating it can be.

Great response! Makes total sense to me now. Gotta love these other guys who pop in, being SJW's and advocating for you, when in reality, if two people are willing to ask honest questions and give honest answers, we could all be a little more productive and get somewhere in a conversation. You sir, I like

Reactions: Fisticuffer

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
As of now the only 2 D-men the Canucks who are eligible to fill the availability requirements are Myers and Schmidt- Myers is almost assured to be left exposed. And why burn a spot on Edler, as a UFA just leave him exposed and see if he would sign at a discount in the summer after the Petterson and Hughes extensions are in place.

My list:

Petersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, XXX (Motte?)
Schmidt, XXX (Juolevi?), XXX (Rafferty?)
Demko

Force Seattle to take one of: Myers, Loui, Beagle, Ferlund, Roussel or Holtby

At the end of the day we are one of the teams that won't lose anything of importance to us. Good chance the Expansion draft helps us lose a less than desirable contract.

Reactions: THE Green Man

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The rights to Andrew Ladd plus a pick for the Kraken to take one of: Thomas Hickey, Cal Clutterbuck or Uncle Leo.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For Kraken fans, the Oilers might be interesting for you. Puljujarvi might rekindle some potential and still get exposed. We might also try to game the system by waiting to re-sign Larsson and Nugent Hopkins. If Seattle will be as flush with cap as it seems they will be, you could make a decent selection AND poach RNH from us. Larsson too perhaps, and of Barrie. Lots of FAs around the league will likely look to Seattle to get their pay day. Hall for eg

If we expose Jones, you should take him imo. That's not a trick either lol, or I'd say you should take Russell. Jones gets better every game it seems

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
So, you just hope that it's going to happen because you want your team to get an asset? Yeah, all that seems unnecessary, Weber will either finish his contract or we'll be penalized.

Until something concrete happens, or Hell even a legitimate rumor, the default should be that he finishes out his contract.
The default ? There’s no default. There are penalties, but it’s not Weber being penalized .

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Winnipeg Jets

Forwards
Protected
Wheeler (NMC)
Schiefele
Laine
Connor
Ehlers
Copp
Roslovic

Exposed:
Appleton
(need one more player under contract to expose)

Lowry is UFA, as is Stastny. If either re-sign you'll have to modify. Bryan Little is the big wildcard - if he's cleared to play you're required to protect him. Perhaps he'd agree to waive his no-move - can't imagine Seattle picking him up given his age, salary and major injury.

Defence:
Protected
Morrissey
DeMelo
Pionk

Exposed:
Bealieu
(need one more player under contract)

Goalie
Protected
Hellebuyck
(need goalie to expose)

Actually an interesting exercise. Jets look like their picks should be fairly obvious. And although I IDed where we need to have players under contract to expose, that souldn't be too hard. Hopefully the Jets re-sign Lowry anyways, so now you have Roslovic to expose. On defence sign Poolman, and in goal sign Brossoit, or any of a number of other goalies who are bound to be on the market.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Oilers go 4-4-1.

Forward:
McDavid
Drai
Nuge (if he re-signs before)
Yamo

Defense:
Klefbom
Bear
Nurse
Jones

Goalie:
Meh

This is pretty much Bang on for the Oilers. Notable potential picks for Seattle would be Kassian, Kharia, Puljujarvi, Turris, Archibald, Neal.

A lot of speculation that EDM and Nugent-Hopkins are going to wait until post expansion draft before the put pen to paper on an extension. Although talks have already begun apparently so maybe he signs before. But if they do wait, expect whoever of Kass, Puljujarvi, Turris or whoever else they bring in to also be protected.

Interested to see what happens with Adam Larsson too

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Oilers go 4-4-1.

Forward:
McDavid
Drai
Nuge (if he re-signs before)
Yamo

Defense:
Klefbom
Bear
Nurse
Jones

Goalie:
Meh

Read the Klefbom will be exempt under the 40/70 rule if he doesn't play at all this year. He has to play either 40 games this year or 70 games combined using 2019-2020 and 2020-2021. He's short 4 games for the combined. If that's the case, I'd switch to 7-3-1. Adding JP, Benson and either Kass or Turris.

Reactions: KidLine93

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Is there new information? This article says his KHL contract has an NHL outclause.

Pilut could opt not to come and wait until UFA, but there's not really any upside to him doing that. Seattle would have to offer him a roster spot and possibly burn the rest of his RFA contract so he'd be 1-year away from being a UFA, but he definitely has the highest upside of the rest of the players. Not to mention that Seattle will still only have so many roster spots, so it may work in their favor they have an extra year to wait for Pilut to come over.

What I heard/read was he had an out clause but he had to buy his way out. Im not sure what the price was.

Iirc Botterill was the one who screwed Pilut over making him go. Not current GM.

The issue seemed to be one way vs two way contracts. The nhl salary wasn’t. It was something like $800Knto a mil .

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Protected:
F: Barzal, Nelson, Pageau, Lee, Beauvillier, Eberle, Bailey
D: Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield
G: Schneider

Exposed:
F: Komarov, Martin, Clutterbuck, Czikas, Johnston, Dal Colle, Bellows, Johnston, Ladd
D: Boychuk, Leddy, Hickey, Aho
G: Varlamov

Not Eligible:
F: Wahlstrom, Holmstrom
D: Dobson, Wilde, Bolduc
G: Sorokin

There's more eligible but that's pretty much anyone "of note".

It's quite clear that Francis will pick up the one-time Cy Young award winner Andrew Ladd. He'd be stupid to make any other choice and Francis is a smart cookie.

Pretty much this. Thanks for doing the work! :)

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
At the end of the day we are one of the teams that won't lose anything of importance to us. Good chance the Expansion draft helps us lose a less than desirable contract.

Actually I believe it'll be Kole Lind, Zack Macewan or Tyler Motte at this point. Were dreaming if they take an overpaid asset when theres three young forwards available

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
:caps

Protected:
Ovi (if re-signed before ED)
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Vrana
Wilson
Eller
Hathaway?
Carlson
Orlov
Siegenthaler?
Samsonov

Exposed:
Oshie
Hagelin
Panik
Dowd (could see Dowd being protected since he's a solid and cheap 4C)
Jensen
Kempny
Schultz

Exempt:
McMichael

If Ovi is re-signed before the ED they'll choose one of Hathaway, Panik, or Hagelin to protect but I think at least one and possibly two of them will be gone beforehand. Not sure Siegenthaler is on the team next summer either. This draft will hurt a lot less than when they lost Schmidt to Vegas. Depending on how the season goes, I could see them re-signing TVR and will protect him as well.

The pick: TJ Oshie. Heart and soul guy for the Caps but will be 34 turning 35 next season and will still have four more years at $5.75M/year on his contract. He's from Seattle and will be the perfect captain for the Kraken.

Not protecting Dillon?

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
To be eligible for the expansion draft, you have to have accured two professional seasons in the NHL. 10 regular season or playoffs games is where I believe it count as a professional season. So in 2018-19, Hughes played only 5 regular season games making him ineligible for the expansion draft, while Makar played 10 playoffs games causing him to be eligible for the expansion draft.
Wouldn't Hughes have played last year and this year making 2 seasons?

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Wouldn't Hughes have played last year and this year making 2 seasons?
Hughes only played 5 games in 2018-19 and a player on their elc have to dress for at least 10 games to count as a season of professional experience. So only 2019-20 counts as one of Quinn Hughes' "professional season" if that makes sense.

Reactions: JohnnyT91

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Dallas will likely be 7-3-1. I’m not 100% on their clauses, but I think Radulov and Pavelski are eligible to be exposed. The biggest question is likely how they see Dickinson. I could see a forward trade too.

F: Benn, Seguin, Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov, Pavelski, Radulov.
D: Heiskanen, Klingberg, Lindell
G: Bishop

Exposed: Dickinson, Sekera, Khudobin
Exempt: Kiviranta, Oettinger, Camaano...
UFA: Comeau, Cogliano, Oleksiak, Pysyk, Dowling

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Hughes only played 5 games in 2018-19 and a player on their elc have to dress for at least 10 games to count as a season of professional experience. So only 2019-20 counts as one of Quinn Hughes' "professional season" if that makes sense.
but the draft is after this upcoming season, isn't it? so with the up coming season and last season doesn't that make 2?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I’m not 100% on their clauses, but I think Radulov and Pavelski are eligible to be exposed.
Both have NMC's, so they must be protected. (Radulov has a 15 team M-NTC, and an NMC, but the NMC protects him from this as it is not a trade.)

cakeschmammert

Jun 28, 2019
St. Louis, MO
Blues 7-3-1

I think obviously somewhat depends on how players progress this year but here's what I have so far.

F: ROR, Schenn, Tarasenko, Thomas, Sundqvist, Kyrou, Sanford
D: Parayko, Krug, Dunn
G: Binnington

UFA: Schwartz, Bozak, Steen, Gunnarsson
Exposed: Faulk, Perron, Barbashev, Blais, Scandella, Bortuzzo, Mikkola
Exempt: Perunovich, Kostin, Alexandrov, Neighbors

I feel like Barbashev ends up the selection here. Maybe Army will send a package for them to select Faulk though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
but the draft is after this upcoming season, isn't it? so with the up coming season and last season doesn't that make 2?
I took a look at my post from earlier and realized I worded it wrongly. I meant that you have to play more than two seasons to be eligible for expansion draft. My bad :p

Reactions: JohnnyT91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad