Speculation: What is your teams expansion draft list?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Did anyone do this during the last expansion draft with Vegas?

I feel like it's pretty unlikely. If you're a guy wanting to re-sign with your team, you usually want to get that extension done ASAP (so an injury for example can't hurt your stock). Most guys who aren't re-signed by the end of the regular season/playoffs are at least considering going to free agency. Would be a big leap of faith for both team and player to do that arrangement.

Yes, some teams had handshake deals with pending UFA’s to re-sign after the expansion draft.

However I think almost every one was a older veteran who was not facing their first UFA opportunity. I would be very cautious about that approach if I’m Colorado. It would not just be opening up Landeskog to being drafted by Seattle, it’s opening a window where the other 30 teams can discuss a UFA contract with him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I really hope the Blues expose Justin Faulk. My rationale being it would really be a low-risk move. Many here on HF have suggested that Seattle would not take him anyway, because of his contract. So exposing him would allow us to protect another defenseman, and probably keep Faulk. If he is taken, we would have to scramble to find another RD, but we would be free of that terrible contract. It is really a no-brainer for me.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Valimaki has only accrued one proffessional season of hockey seeing as he missed all of last year between NHL and AHL due to an ACL tear, and you need, I think, more than x amount of games or 3 years. Since he can only play two years he is 100% exempt and is going into next season as a rookie.

Even if he wasn't exempt I'd just protect Hanifin - Valimaki - Kylington, since exposing anyone beyind Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk - Lindholm is a tough pill to swallow with either Mangiapane, Dube, Backlund, etc. leaving for no good reason.
You're missing Anderson but just replace him with Kylington anyways who I think the Kraken ultimately take.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Georgiev
Trouba, DeAngelo, Lindgren
Panarin, Zib, Chytil, Kreider, Buchnevich then guessing Gauthier , Lemieux

A lot of kids ineligible
Howden exposed I hope lol
A lot can change of course. Strome May sign and be exposed.
If it meant losing a good young d , I would leave trouba exposed . I couldn’t see Seattle taking him .

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
You're missing Anderson but just replace him with Kylington anyways who I think the Kraken ultimately take.

Seattle taking Kylington would be a pretty good scenario for Calgary given there's going to be a good forward available (Sam Bennett? Backlund?)

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Seattle taking Kylington would be a pretty good scenario for Calgary given there's going to be a good forward available (Sam Bennett? Backlund?)

Assuming that there isn't like a Gaudreau trade because they can't reach a contract extension, I suppose. But really the Kraken would have a shot at Kylington vs whichever one of Dube, Mangiapane , Bennett or Backlund the Flames leave unprotected (the other 4 being Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm and Monahan).

If all four of them are 'worthy' of a protection spot and the Kraken take the forward left unprotected, that probably means things went pretty darn good for the Flames this season.

Given the quality of the Kylington or worst of those four, and the restrictions on Seattle's draft (certain number of forwards etc.) it's probably going to be the lists of other teams that ultimately decide which one Seattle takes.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Avalanche

Colorado could have a handshake deal with Landeskog since he will be an UFA. And expose him knowing they can resign him after to protect another player. That is if the Avs trade for someone that needs protecting.

Right now I see the Avs going 7-3-1

FWD: Mack, Rants, Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Landy, JT Compher/Saad
DEF: Makar, Girard, Toews
GOalie: Grubauer

Exposed:

FWD: Saad/Compher, Donskoi, Calvert, Bellemare, Jost

DEF: Cole, Graves

Goalie: Francouz, Miska

Not Eligible: Kaut, Bowers, LOC, Timmins, Byram
Landeskog, Grubauer, Saad, Calvert, Bellemare and Cole are UFA

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yes, some teams had handshake deals with pending UFA’s to re-sign after the expansion draft.

However I think almost every one was a older veteran who was not facing their first UFA opportunity. I would be very cautious about that approach if I’m Colorado. It would not just be opening up Landeskog to being drafted by Seattle, it’s opening a window where the other 30 teams can discuss a UFA contract with him.

If Seattle is drafting him, they are signing him.

Sure you run the risk, If a player understand the situation about being able to protect the right players and not lose any key players then its the smart move to do.

Buffalo was planning this with Kulikov who they acquired for 16/17 season as a one yr to UFA player. He got seriously injured in Buffalo in freakish open bench door injury in a check. it never happened.

I really hope the Blues expose Justin Faulk. My rationale being it would really be a low-risk move. Many here on HF have suggested that Seattle would not take him anyway, because of his contract. So exposing him would allow us to protect another defenseman, and probably keep Faulk. If he is taken, we would have to scramble to find another RD, but we would be free of that terrible contract. It is really a no-brainer for me.

Unless a very good player is exposed on ahigh contract, Seattle isnt taking him without incentives from the team.

i see Seattle taking 8-10 of these high contracts with the teams offering picks/prospects to take them. You may have a bidding war of sorts for teams to unload contracts.

there could be a scenario where team X GM feels he really wants Faulk on his team. He asks Seattle to take him and trade him to them for X. Seattle may do that.

Out of the 40 p,ayers they pick, i expect about 5-8 to be traded shortly after the draft to other teams,

Bennet isnt worth picking.

I see Seattle dfting someone like Kyl from Calgary and also a young D from Carolina because they likely expose both Bean and Fluery figuring one taken by Seattle.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bennet isnt worth picking.

I see Seattle dfting someone like Kyl from Calgary and also a young D from Carolina because they likely expose both Bean and Fluery figuring one taken by Seattle.

There will be a lot of solid defenseman available - need to remember they're drafting from 30 teams. The choices from Calgary will most likely be a combination of Tanev/Giordano/Kylington/Bennett/Backlund/Mangiapane/Dube.

Bennett actually has a fair amount of value to playoff teams, he's an amazing playoff performer and his regular season numbers should keep his $ down. As an Avs fan i'd take Bennett over Tanev/Giordano/Kylington/Backlund in a heartbeat. If Dube and Mangiapane are added to the mix, it would be difficult to choose.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There will be a lot of solid defenseman available - need to remember they're drafting from 30 teams. The choices from Calgary will most likely be a combination of Tanev/Giordano/Kylington/Bennett/Backlund/Mangiapane/Dube.

Bennett actually has a fair amount of value to playoff teams, he's an amazing playoff performer and his regular season numbers should keep his $ down. As an Avs fan i'd take Bennett over Tanev/Giordano/Kylington/Backlund in a heartbeat. If Dube and Mangiapane are added to the mix, it would be difficult to choose.

I’ve looked at teams and thought about thry coukd pick. I don’t think there will be that many young high potential Dmen.

They shouldn’t be taking Gio. Bennet will be 1 yr from UFA and I don’t think he has a TDL return of a 2nd

Just using west division...

Anaheim...D Larsdon but Anaheim probably incentives Henrique
Arizona....probably one of thrir F or an ending ELC player
Calgary..take one of the young D
Edmonton..take nurse/klefbom but Edm incentives Neal
Los Wngles..don’t have much
San Jose...not much
Vancouver...they pay to unload Loui.

In one division there really is one team I see getting a decent young D with team control.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’ve looked at teams and thought about thry coukd pick. I don’t think there will be that many young high potential Dmen.

They shouldn’t be taking Gio. Bennet will be 1 yr from UFA and I don’t think he has a TDL return of a 2nd

Just using west division...

Anaheim...D Larsdon but Anaheim probably incentives Henrique
Arizona....probably one of thrir F or an ending ELC player
Calgary..take one of the young D
Edmonton..take nurse/klefbom but Edm incentives Neal
Los Wngles..don’t have much
San Jose...not much
Vancouver...they pay to unload Loui.

In one division there really is one team I see getting a decent young D with team control.
They’ll probably end up getting Simek from SJ who’s a good complimentary top 4 D.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They’ll probably end up getting Simek from SJ who’s a good complimentary top 4 D.

My feeling on San Jose is they take one of those players who ended his ELC next summer.

Seattle would a nay select about 6Dmrn for their team. 1-3 others are looked at as trade bait. They will also get some prospect/ELCs in trades.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
With any other GM, I'd agree, but Ron Francis may jump at the chance to get Faulk back. I just know he'll try to get someone familiar from CAR, like Fleury or Bean.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
My feeling on San Jose is they take one of those players who ended his ELC next summer.

Seattle would a nay select about 6Dmrn for their team. 1-3 others are looked at as trade bait. They will also get some prospect/ELCs in trades.
Simek is exactly the type of player Seattle would keep. There is talk (from fans but seen some media speculate too) about protecting Simek over Burns.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Right now, the Sharks don't have any eligible players on ELCs that would likely be interesting. Dylan Gambrell? Alex True? Jacob Middleton?

Meanwhile, one of Burns or Simek will be exposed (barring a trade), most likely Simek.

Reactions: themelkman

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

It does seem like an awful lot of risk for both Landeskog and the Avalanche to both head into the expansion draft as a pending UFA. Colorado would have to be extremely certain that he would not go back on the handshake deal if given the chance to test the market (and would probably have to overcompensate him a bit for losing the added security of a signed contract), while Landeskog would have to trust Colorado would still do the right thing if he were to suffer a major injury. No matter how good of a relationship he has with the organization, that would be awfully tough to do.

If he were left exposed as a pending UFA, it would be interesting to see if Seattle would select him as all it's doing is giving them an exclusive negotiating window (which could be worth it for a good young player) - otherwise, Colorado could still resign him after the expansion draft without him hitting UFA.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It does seem like an awful lot of risk for both Landeskog and the Avalanche to both head into the expansion draft as a pending UFA. Colorado would have to be extremely certain that he would not go back on the handshake deal if given the chance to test the market (and would probably have to overcompensate him a bit for losing the added security of a signed contract), while Landeskog would have to trust Colorado would still do the right thing if he were to suffer a major injury. No matter how good of a relationship he has with the organization, that would be awfully tough to do.

If he were left exposed as a pending UFA, it would be interesting to see if Seattle would select him as all it's doing is giving them an exclusive negotiating window (which could be worth it for a good young player) - otherwise, Colorado could still resign him after the expansion draft without him hitting UFA.

It's a little worse then that. Seattle--like Vegas--has a 72 hour window prior to the expansion draft to negotiate with any unprotected pending UFA before they announce their expansion draft picks.

Reactions: HBK27

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
CGY:
Forwards:
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Lucic (NMC)
Backlund
Bennett

Defense:
Hanifin
Andersson
Tanev

Goalies:
Markstrom (NMC)

Notable Exposed:
Giordano, Mangiapane, Dube,.

X Factors that may come into play;
Treliving asking Lucic to waive NMC, so they can protect Giordano. That would be a hard pitch. Lucic would definitely feel the pressure, knowing Seatlle wouldnt take him anyways. How would he walk back into that room.

I think the flames will end up losing one of Dube/Mangiapane. Things can change by the end of the season, if either of those guys puts up 50 points, it will be Bennett instead.

And there is also the Treliving factor. He is creative and could do a number of things to keep his roster intact, we saw lots of moves before the Vegas draft and basically every mock draft attempted was maybe 10% accurate once its all said and done.

If Bennett actually progresses I’d protect him over backlund.

If lucic dicks the flames I buy him out as a last resort.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
What is it, 7/3/1, right? With ELCs exempt? I think that's how it works.

My half-assed attempt at the Kings:

Kopitar, Brown, Kempe, Wagner, Lizotte, Frk, Andersson
Doughty, Walker, Roy
Petersen

That exposes:

Carter, Moore, Amadio, Luff, Grundstrom
Maata, MacDermid
Quick

If Iafallo re-signs, probably protect him and expose Frk. Kings are in pretty good shape. I imagine they'll lose a defenseman. MacDermid seems like the type of guy that could really grab a full-time role on an expansion team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00