Speculation: What is your teams expansion draft list?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I thought for sure some of our AHL guys qualified us. I mean I thought Stecher was the odd man out, but how this off season shook out....

Edler would be simply to burn a protection spot, and as a token for his career to the team.
Lind and Gadjovich I have read are eligible. For AHL guys Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield are eligible as well. Dipietro is exempt.

petey, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, are the locks.
Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, Lind or anyone like that would make up the other 3.
Schmidt and Juolevi are your likely 2 guys. Get into position to trade for another Dman if they can.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I thought for sure some of our AHL guys qualified us. I mean I thought Stecher was the odd man out, but how this off season shook out....

Edler would be simply to burn a protection spot, and as a token for his career to the team.
To me that would just be a waste, there could be a defenceman that shakes free for cheap since teams won’t have the ability to protect them. I’d rather that option or just protect the prospects to force Seattle into taking a larger contract off our hands- lord knows Benning has given them a ton to choose from.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Lind and Gadjovich I have read are eligible. For AHL guys Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield are eligible as well. Dipietro is exempt.

petey, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, are the locks.
Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, Lind or anyone like that would make up the other 3.
Schmidt and Juolevi are your likely 2 guys. Get into position to trade for another Dman if they can.
That’s being eligible which is different from having a player also available with enough NHL games played still under team control to pick from. It was imposed to not allow teams to just leave UFA players and AHL players as the only options to pick from.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Toronto

7 forwards:

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Mikheyev
Hyman*
Kerfoot

Hyman UFA that offseason so not sure what will happen there. If they don't need to protect him cause he hasn't signed or something then Kerfoot would be next up.

exposed: Engvall? and a bunch of UFAs.

3 defense:

Morgan Rielly
Jake Muzzin
TJ Brodie

exposed: Holl, Dermott

1 Goalie:

Andersen*
Campbell

exposed: Campbell if Andersen is resigned ahead of of draft.

Same as Hyman who knows what Andersen situation is at that point.

I think probably Justin Holl is the BPA for Seattle. Maybe they resign Dermott as RFA and hope they take him instead of Holl.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Well I’m sure once everyone’s interests gets greased a deal will be made . Mtl is not letting Nashville of the hook easy . Weber is not interested in playing the last 4 yrs for an average of 1.5 million . Nashville just wants a bit of mercy .

Source please. Is this something Shea Weber has said, because Montreal fans keep slobbering over the prospect of him refusing to play past 37 for some reason. What if he...you know, plays out his contract? :eek: Unheard of right?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well I’m sure once everyone’s interests gets greased a deal will be made . Mtl is not letting Nashville of the hook easy . Weber is not interested in playing the last 4 yrs for an average of 1.5 million . Nashville just wants a bit of mercy .

I don't think you understand how it works. Nashville would prefer if Weber retired early and didn't play the last 4 years of his contract, well second to only Weber playing out the entirety of the contract. Also, Montreal has zero say in whether Weber retires or not, so not sure how Montreal holds all the cards.

Reactions: qqaz

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I'd protect:

Pettersson
Miller
Horvat
Boeser
Gaudette
Virtanen if hes still here, his top six replacement if not.
Motte

Myers (sigh)
Schmidt
Juolevi if he does well, Edler if he doesn't.

Demko

Hughes is exempt.

As of now the only 2 D-men the Canucks who are eligible to fill the availability requirements are Myers and Schmidt- Myers is almost assured to be left exposed. And why burn a spot on Edler, as a UFA just leave him exposed and see if he would sign at a discount in the summer after the Petterson and Hughes extensions are in place.

My list:

Petersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, XXX (Motte?)
Schmidt, XXX (Juolevi?), XXX (Rafferty?)
Demko

Force Seattle to take one of: Myers, Loui, Beagle, Ferlund, Roussel or Holtby
I probably should have included Gaudette in my post as it is very likely he is protected in the 2021 expansion draft. I do not see Virtanen as a long term Canucks, so I'm not entirely convince he will be on the Canucks when it time to form a protection list for the expansion draft. As mentioned, considering Edler's ufa status Benning (assuming he is still GM) will not burn a slot on him. Overall, I think both of your lists are spot on, it'll be interesting to see who fill those remainding slots when the times come.
Myers is almost assured to be left exposed.
I'm curious on why you think Myers will be exposed? I sure hope so. I do see Myers being protected as of right now. Although, if he does terrible next season in the eyes of the management then perhaps they would feel incline to use a slot on a different defenseman.

Reactions: Cogburn

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida:

Offense: Barkov, Huberdeau, Hornqvist, Acciari, Vatrano, Verh, Saarela/Borg (whoever makes it)
Exempt: Tippett, Denisenko
Exposed: Connolly, Lomberg
UFA: Wennberg, Hinostroza.

Defense:
Protected: Ekblad, Weegar, Yandle
Exempt: Priskie
Exposed: Stillman, Gudas, Nutivaara, Keeper

Goalie: Bob
Exposed: Monty
UFA: Driedger

As of now, I anticipate that Connolly or Nutivaara is taken depending on season. Given how iffy Vatrano/Verh/Saarela could be, we might protect 4 D if Nuti takes a step up o

Reactions: PAZ

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina all depends on if Hamilton is extended beforehand. Assuming he isn’t:

F: Staal (nmc), Svechnikov, Aho, Teravainen, Trocheck, Foegele, Geekie or Fast

Exempt: Necas
Exposed: Geekie or Fast, Niederreiter and UFAs McGinn, Martinook, Dzingel

If Trocheck struggles, I could see him exposed before Geekie/Fast

D: Slavin, Pesce, and one of Skjei, Bean or Fleury

exposed: Gardiner and two of Skjei, Fleury and Bean.

Goalies: who cares

If Hamilton is extended, then all 3 of Skjei, Fleury and Bean get exposed.

any way you slice it(even if they go 4 and 4), Carolina likely loses a good defenseman, but only 1 and they have enough depth to withstand it.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
:sens

Ottawa, assuming all RFAs will be qualified/re- signed. I'm not expecting no UFAs to be re-signed, no point listing them

PROTECTED: Brown, Logan (C), White, Colin (RW/C), Batherson, Drake (C/RW), Brown, Connor (LW/RW), Tkachuk, Brady (LW/C), Dadonov, Evgeni (RW/LW), Formenton, Alex (LW), Chabot, Thomas (LD), Brännström, Erik (RD), Wolanin, Christian (LD), Murray, Matt (G)

EXPOSED: Abramov, Vitaly (LW), Carcone, Michael (LW/C), Paul, Nicholas (C/LW), Beaudin, J.C. (C/RW), Chlapik, Filip (C), Tierney, Chris (C), Kelly, Parker (C/LW), Shaw, Logan (C/RW), Watson, Austin (RW/LW), Mirnov, Igor (RW), Balcers, Rūdolfs (RW/LW), Davidsson, Jonathan (RW), Alsing, Olle (LD), Lajoie, Maxime (LD), Zaitsev, Nikita (RD), Brown, Joshua (RD), Zub, Artem (RD), Jaros, Christian (RD), Gustavsson, Filip (G), Högberg, Marcus (G)

EXEMPT: Norris, Joshua (C), Kastelic, Mark (C), Lodin, Viktor (C/LW), Burgess, Todd (C/RW), Pinto, Shane (C), Stützle, Tim (C/LW), Greig, Ridly (LW), Järventie, Roby (LW), Sokolov, Egor (LW), Aspirot, Jonathan (LD), Sanderson, Jake (LD), Tychonick, Jonathan (LD), Wikstrand, Mikael (LD), Kleven, Tyler (LD), Thomson, Lassi (RD), Guénette, Maxence (RD), Bernard-Docker, Jacob (D), Lyamin, Kirill (D), Søgaard, Mads (G), Meriläinen, Leevi (G), Mandolese, Kevin (G), Daccord, Joey (G)

NOTE: I Left Tierney exposed, since I think that he'll be traded before end of season.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
:sabres

Forwards:

Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Olofsson
Tage
Mittelstadt
Asplund/Girgensons

Defense:

Dahlin
Jokiharju
Ristolainen

Goalie:

Ullmark

Exposed: Okposo, Eakin, Lazar, Girgensons/Asplund, Miller, Borgen, JJ

Borgen would be their only good choice if he does get exposed. The rest is a lot of 4th liners.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Great thread idea for us few :seattle fans around.

How can you be a fan of a team that barely even exists yet? Big Ron Francis fan? Live in the Seattle area and are excited for a team to cheer for in the future? I really don't know how anyone can classify themselves as a fan of a team that doesn't have a roster? Who's your favorite player on the team? Haha

Edit: not trying to be a douche, just something that struck me as odd

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'd protect:

Pettersson
Miller
Horvat
Boeser
Gaudette
Virtanen if hes still here, his top six replacement if not.
Motte

Myers (sigh)
Schmidt
Juolevi if he does well, Edler if he doesn't.

Demko

Hughes is exempt.

I don’t believe Hughes is exempt. He began his NHL career before Makar that needs protection.

Reactions: wintersej

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Habs.

Depends entirely on how the season goes. Danault could get re-signed, Drouin could get exposed

On D, it's pretty much set that Weber, Petry, and Chiarot are the ones being protected, in net Price is safe.

On forwards, id imagine it would be...
Gallagher
Danault
Toffoli
Andersen
Drouin
Kotkaneimi
Armia/ Lehkonen
I'd expose Drouin for cap savings though, Weber too (to plan for the future).

Habs will likely lose Juulsen or Fluery though. Hopefully not Juulsen, I'm still a big fan of his upside.

Seattle picks: Noah Juulsen

Chiarot is definitely not a lock. Its probably something like this (bold=lock/near lock, italics=likely):

Price

Petry
Weber

Chiarot/Edmundson/Mete/Kulak, depending on how guys play.

Gallagher
Kotkaniemi

Anderson
Toffoli

3 of (in order of likelihood) Danault, Drouin, Armia, Lehkonen, Tatar and Byron, depending on who re-signs and how guys play.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'm curious on why you think Myers will be exposed? I sure hope so. I do see Myers being protected as of right now. Although, if he does terrible next season in the eyes of the management then perhaps they would feel incline to use a slot on a different defenseman.
I think Benning makes a move to allow him to protect Myers, but as of right now, the canucks will have a tough time fulfilling the 40/70 games played rule for a spare defenceman.

Benn is the only one close, but the team would have to re-sign him for next season, and there's a risk he could be injured before he plays the necessary 20 games.

Has the 40/70 rule been modified given that there two seasons being considered are shortened?

Reactions: THE Green Man

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
:caps

Protected:
Ovi (if re-signed before ED)
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Vrana
Wilson
Eller
Hathaway?
Carlson
Orlov
Edit: Dillon
Samsonov

Exposed:
Oshie
Hagelin
Panik
Dowd (could see Dowd being protected since he's a solid and cheap 4C)
Jensen
Kempny
Schultz
Edit: Siegenthaler

Exempt
:
McMichael

If Ovi is re-signed before the ED they'll choose one of Hathaway, Panik, or Hagelin to protect but I think at least one and possibly two of them will be gone beforehand. Not sure Siegenthaler is on the team next summer either. This draft will hurt a lot less than when they lost Schmidt to Vegas. Depending on how the season goes, I could see them re-signing TVR and will protect him as well.

The pick: TJ Oshie. Heart and soul guy for the Caps but will be 34 turning 35 next season and will still have four more years at $5.75M/year on his contract. He's from Seattle and will be the perfect captain for the Kraken.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Carolina all depends on if Hamilton is extended beforehand. Assuming he isn’t:

F: Staal (nmc), Svechnikov, Aho, Teravainen, Trocheck, Foegele, Geekie or Fast

Exempt: Necas
Exposed: Geekie or Fast, Niederreiter and UFAs McGinn, Martinook, Dzingel

If Trocheck struggles, I could see him exposed before Geekie/Fast

D: Slavin, Pesce, and one of Skjei, Bean or Fleury

exposed: Gardiner and two of Skjei, Fleury and Bean.

Goalies: who cares

If Hamilton is extended, then all 3 of Skjei, Fleury and Bean get exposed.

any way you slice it(even if they go 4 and 4), Carolina likely loses a good defenseman, but only 1 and they have enough depth to withstand it.

Good summary.

If Hamilton is not extended by then, the decision on 4/4 vs 7/3 depends on how Skjei plays this year.
If Skjei plays well, I think you're right that they do go 7-3.
If Skjei struggles, I can see a 4-4:

Staal, Svechnikov, Aho, Teravainen
Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, Bean

Expose Gardiner and Skjei, or let Seattle take Trocheck or Fast with 1 year remaining.

Also depends on whether Carolina trades a young D this season for a player they can protect (Kuemper?)

Either way, I've long expected Francis to take one of the D he drafted while in Carolina (Fleury or Bean.)

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
for the Devils as it stands right now:

Blackwood

Severson
Subban
Butcher (though I guess it depends if they re-sign Ryan Murray....if so, he would replace Butcher)

Hischier
Palmieri (assuming he is re-signed)
Zajac (assuming he is re-signed)
Johnsson
Bratt
Zacha
Wood

EXEMPT- Hughes, Gusev, Boqvist

it really could go a lot of ways with so many guys' contract statuses up in the air. If Palmieri and/or Zajac are not re-signed, the forward protection list gets murky.

I think this list will change a bit for NJ before the expansion draft:
  • There is no way Subban should be protected. Even if he has a bounce-back season, you dare Seattle to take on his $9M cap hit for one season and if they do, then just be happy you didn't lose a young player with a future on the team.
  • Devils need to trade for a young defenceman that another team would otherwise lose in the expansion draft, as after Severson and Butcher there is no other defenseman currently on their roster worth protecting.
  • Zajac is a wasted spot. He's a lifelong Devil and probably not going anywhere unless he wants to chase a Cup (in which case, they should trade him with 50% retained at the trade deadline). Assuming he prefers to stay you have a gentleman's agreement on the next contract value and put pen to paper after the expansion draft.
  • As you mentioned, Palmieri's spot is dependent on him signing an extension.
  • I'm not 100% convinced Wood is protected, but that is likely the case. Right now, he's a 25-year old 4th liner with potential that's not living up to his contract.
  • That opens up 1-3 spots to possibly protect: McLeod, Kuokkanen, Merkley & Bastian - all young former 1st/2nd round picks that will be jockeying for any remaining protected spots this season as they try to establish themselves as NHLers.
  • Obviously any additional trades or signings will impact the protected list.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Exposing Oshie? That seems ridiculous. His play is not declining and if he scores another 25, no thanks. He's a fan favorite here as well. You keep him. Expose Hagelin/Panik/Hathaway

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming Danault is resigned and Armia & Tatar are not. I'm betting the Habs list is

KK
Gallagher
Anderson
Toffoli
Danault
Drouin
Lehkonen

Weber
Petry
Edmunson

Price

Notable Exemptions on 2020 roster
Suzuki
Romanov

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I don’t believe Hughes is exempt. He began his NHL career before Makar that needs protection.
To be eligible for the expansion draft, you have to have accured two professional seasons in the NHL. 10 regular season or playoffs games is where I believe it count as a professional season. So in 2018-19, Hughes played only 5 regular season games making him ineligible for the expansion draft, while Makar played 10 playoffs games causing him to be eligible for the expansion draft.

Last edited:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
How can you be a fan of a team that barely even exists yet? Big Ron Francis fan? Live in the Seattle area and are excited for a team to cheer for in the future? I really don't know how anyone can classify themselves as a fan of a team that doesn't have a roster? Who's your favorite player on the team? Haha

Edit: not trying to be a douche, just something that struck me as odd

Are you a fan of your favourite team during the offseason? That's how. Lots of fans don't know who exactly will be on the team, especially so before the free agent frenzy. But your still a fan of the team, even without a complete roster or games being played.

Did you get excited for your team's entry draft this year? That's how. You don't know who you will get, but the possibilities are interesting and fun. Just like Seattle's coming expansion draft.

Would you still be a fan of your team if your favourite player was traded away? That's how. Sometimes your a fan for factors other than just the best players. Being local, like you mentioned. Or maybe being "in" at the start of something is special.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Kadri
Burakovsky
Nichushkin
Jost

Makar
Girard
Toews
(Johnson waive or buyout)

Grubauer

Seattle selects, compher, graves, or francouz.. best case scenerio the pick johnson

Isn't Grubauer a UFA after this season? Couldn't they wait to sign an extension until after the expansion draft, allowing the team to protect Francouz, and keep both of them?

I also could see the team protecting Compher over Jost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad