Line Combos: What is your offseason wish list?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1. Fire Babcock
2. Solve the cap situation by moving Zaitsev, Brown, and Marleau
3. Explore if there's a long-term RD piece that can acquired with a package centered on Kapanen/Kadri
4. Flesh out depth as needed (backup goaltender, fourth line center who can work our system and PK, possibly another depth forward piece)

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMCRO44

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
A better player than hyman with JT and Marner. More size in our top 6.
Gardiner gone.
Some chocolate.
my biggest wish is to not hear the saying "WE JUST NEED TO GET IN "
this years playoffs were an abrasion
guaranteed next year the playoffs will be refereed like the regular season
I'm still not convinced that this year of upsets isn't more to do with these lower seeds hooking and interference not being called
ridiculous like having a sinker ball pitcher win 20 games then get in the playoffs and not get a strike card below the belt
I'd like the GM's to get on. board and just call the rules with consistency
I mean naz gets 5 the guy crushes Oshie and gets 0 games
that's my biggest. wish

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Babs gone or to completely change his stubborn attitude.
Top Pairing RHD
Marleau traded to floor team and retired....comes back as an asst coach or something to keep Mitch/Auston happy.
Sparks waived
Serviceable backup signed to less than a mill. Hutch maybe?
Some players that play the body but have skill to get the other team looking over their shoulder...create space for our skilled guys. LW I guess.
Free season tickets for me

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I want a new coach. I would take back the entire team just to see how they preform with a new coach honestly.

After that though, I want Hyman removed from teh 1st line and replaced with an actual 1st line talent.
I want another legit top 4 defenseman and a proper backup goalie.
I would also like to add a veteran, but not old, bottom 6 forward who is sound defensively.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Bridge contracts for Johnsson/Kapanen

Brown gone

Marleau (love him but hes done) allergic to hockey equipment

Gardiner not re-signed (would entertain it if he didnt have back issues)

Marner getting paid based on his last 4 playoff games

Babcock gone for a coach that will play Matthews to his full potential and let him use skill.

Give Trevor Moore a 3rd line opportunity

At the very least, fire the coaching staff in charge of PK/PP

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Cap dump Zaitsev and Brown for the best offers.
Hope Marleau retires, he wont waive NTC.
Make a trade for a top 4 RHD using Kapanen.
Let Gardiner and Hainsey walk.
Bring in a better backup goalie.
Fire assistant coaches (Babcock is getting one more year lets be real)
Re do the entire system from head to toe making it easier for the team to break out instead of just sending guys flying up the ice and sending flick passes in the air.
Bring up the hungry talent in our system like Bracco, Marchment, Brooks, Rosen.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
2 power forwards and 2 dmen

I would like the 2 power forwards to be top 9 potential, guys that can cycle the puck, keep pressure on the other teams D (good forecheckers) and potential to score 20 to 25 goals per year. Be really good at 50/50 battles, go to the net hard and be a disturbance in front of their goalie.

For the Dmen, I would like to see some guys in the same caliber as Dermott, good at skating, can get the puck to the net, not a liability in his own end and is able to box out attackers in front of our net. Is able to play a fast transition game. I think Rosen might be one of the 2 guys. I haven't seen enough of him to have a solid opinion but he seems to check all the boxes for me.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The out list...

Dubas
Brown
Zaitsev
AJ
Sparks
DJ Smith
Kadri (maybe)

In list...

Gardiner (If back and cap are ok)
Kappy
Looks for Rosen Lilj Sandyboy Bracco

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
1. Fire Babcock
3. Explore if there's a long-term RD piece that can acquired with a package centered on Kapanen/Kadri
4. Flesh out depth as needed (backup goaltender, fourth line center who can work our system and PK, possibly another depth forward piece)
Oh my.
Nithoniniel, I look at your posts generally as the voice of reason, and your number 1 action is fire Babcock?
I don't disagree with any of your points, and especially not your first one, but am surprised that firing Babs has become a serious view.
I would add to your list, allow Hainsey to retire (or seek free agency). I guess he could play 3rd pairing, but I would only re-sign him if Babs was fired.
I would also fire the assistant coaches, the entire break out scheme and our specialty teams were horrible.
And probably hire Keefe as the Leafs coach, look at what he is doing with the Marlies, a sweep of a team that was supposed to beat us.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
1. Fire Babcock

#2 is a must or they won’t be able to ice a full team. No one is going to do the Leafs any favours. Hopefully no draft picks are traded away to relieve cap space.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubas ? Really ?

Absolutely. Top of the list, the guy can't keep a cap in check and overpays are based on internal comparables so, take your pick right now...

Blow up the team in 3-5 years or get someone who gets good deals, that or trade our high cap players for guys under contract and some futures.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Absolutely. Top of the list, the guy can't keep a cap in check and overpays are based on internal comparables so, take your pick right now...

Blow up the team in 3-5 years or get someone who gets good deals, that or trade our high cap players for guys under contract and some futures.
We didn't lose because of the cap, and the cap was screwed by bad signings of Zaitsev and Marleau, both Lou's gifts.
Paying Matthews or Nylander an extra $500K a year really is not why we are in cap hell this year.
Hopefully we can trade Zaitsev, Marleau we are stuck with.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Your basing his "Bad Contracts" 4 months into the contract.

Leafs Nation should be renamed to Over Reaction Nation.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Trade Nylander
Dump Marleau
Trade Brown
Fire Babcock - just to put half these threads out of business. It is pretty clear him and Dubas do not see eye to eye, and its like he almost purposely sabotages things out of spite.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Love all these trades except parting with Kap. But we would be a much better team. Please add letting go of Babcock as I think we need a new game plan scheme and new voice.

Connor - Tavares - Rakell second line might be the best cycle line in the league with high end skill.

Johnsson/Hyman-Matthews-Marner line 1 would be awesome as well. With all these trades it would be hard to keep Kapanen under the cap.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Babcock Gone (Dumb decisions, Awful special teams)
Marleau Gone (Too expensive, Does nothing out there)
Brown Gone (Same as Marleau)
Gardiner Gone (Can't afford him)
Another top 4 D (Maybe someone steps up in system)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
1. Find a way to move Marleau, be willing to pay up to a protected 1st, that cap space is vital to keep Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen
2. Don't re-sign Hainsey
3. Try to re-sign Gardiner at a short deal discount, otherwise extend Muzzin
4. New NHL backup and find Garrett Sparks a new organization for a fresh start
5. Deal Nylander for futures and/or inexpensive youth to make room to sign both Johnsson and Kapanen, Nylander's commitment will eventually infect the team like that co-worker who always leaves their less desirable work for you to do, eventually you don't want do it either
6. Find a little hardness to add to forward group
7. Shuffle the assistant coaching staff, this team needs some improved defensive schemes

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
1 Fire Babcock
2 Fire the assistants
3 Find a way to move Marleau
4 Trade Zaitsev, Brown, and depending on return Nylander
5 new back-up

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Fire assistant coaches. Bring in Keefe as an assistant.
acquire Pesche/Dumba/Ekholm/Parayko/Pietrangelo (dreaming here) to play with Rielly
acquire another RHD to play with Muzzin
Move Marleau cap hit
Move Z and his contract
Trade Brown for a Kassian or a pick
Sign Ferland
Sign Hainsey as your #6 dman to play with Dermott unless Lily is ready to play full time

Anybody other than AM, JT, MM, MR, FA are available in a trade.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The wish list and practical list are different.

Priority #1 - sign Marner

Priority #1b cap space to sign Marner - Kadri, Gardiner are gone (Marleau isn't going anywhere. Anyone who rejoiced at the signing with a NMC... enjoy). Gardiner won't be resigned and Kadri will be gone but we can't take salary back. Picks and Prospects. Lowered expectations.

Priority #2 replacing them with healthy but older and cheaper UFAs... not because it's ideal... but because it is practical.

Priority #3 - getting Kapanen under contract. Making some overtures to Muzzin's agent and getting that discussion started

Priority #4 - (or 1 for Shanahan) - can the Coach and GM get along? Don't foresee a move here but putting replacements for either on the radar should be a thought

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Fire assistant coaches. Bring in Keefe as an assistant.
acquire Pesche/Dumba/Ekholm/Parayko/Pietrangelo (dreaming here) to play with Rielly
acquire another RHD to play with Muzzin
Move Marleau cap hit
Move Z and his contract
Trade Brown for a Kassian or a pick
Sign Ferland
Sign Hainsey as your #6 dman to play with Dermott unless Lily is ready to play full time

Anybody other than AM, JT, MM, MR, FA are available in a trade.

I like this approach a lot and was going to say pretty much the same thing. Only thing I would change is we don't need another RHD to play with Muzzin this should be Dermott. And bottom pairing should be Rosen and Hainsey. The addition to this would be to include Kapanen or Johnsson in a trade to a top Dman to put next to Reilly. That is going to be your trade chip. That and your protected 2020 1st Round pick. My preference lineup\team opening night:

Trade Kapanen, Protected 1st Round 2020 pick, Sparks for Pesce, 3rd Round Pick 2020

Extend Muzzin for another 3 years

Bridge Johnsson for 2-3 years

Resign Marner for under 10 million annually on a max contract

Replace assistants next to Babcock, one to be Keefe.

Ferland-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Bracco
Kassian-Gauthier-Moore

Reilly-Pesce
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Hainsey

Andersen
Hutchison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad