Line Combos: What is your offseason wish list?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
What do you want this leafs team to look like come October? Before you criticize the hypothetical moves I made post your team.

My take:
Trades
1. Nylander for Rakell - Leafs get cheaper add more goal scoring pedigree. Anaheim adds a centerman/winger who is 3 years younger and has 2 extra years of term for their rebuild.
2. Marleau + Bracco for Ottawa 2020 5th -Ottawa adds a highly skilled offensive player which they lack who also has experience playing in UNTDP and the World Juniors with Colin White. They take Marleau because they get 6.25M closer to the cap floor while only paying 1.25M
3. Kadri+Kapanen for Pesce+Necas - Carolina adds a right shot forward which they lack who's coming off a 20 goal season as well a shutdown 2C/3C with recent 30 goal history in exchange for a position of strength (RD) and their top prospect. Probably needs more value going to Carolina.
4. Brown for Glendening (or Rowney if the value is off) - Yzerman begins clearing cap space while the Leafs add a 4th line C who is good on the draw and averages 2:30/GP on the PK.

I didn't try to find a suitor for Zaitsev because I believe a season alongside Muzzin (and one more year off his contract) will do wonders for his value and because I believe he can help ease in the two russians I signed below.

Signings
Marner 10.5Mx6 - my best guess at a Marner contract
Kyle Connor offer sheet 8Mx5 - compensation: 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd - WPG will be in tough to sign all of their RFA's and Toronto will be in a position to handicap them. Connor adds skill and goal scoring to Matthews wing.
Andreas Johnsson 2.7Mx2 - Best guess at Johnsson's bridge
Ilya Mikheyev 0.925x3 (2?) - Dreger pretty much confirmed he will be joining the Leafs today on Overdrive. Hopefully he brings talent to the 3rd line.
Yegor Korshkov 0.925x3 - It was rumored a few weeks ago that he was coming over

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Connor - Matthews - Rakell
Johnsson - Necas - Mikheyev
Moore - Glendening - Korshkov
Gauthier

Rielly - Pesce
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - Dermott
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Total of 82.6M with Kessel

PP1: Connor
Marner - Tavares - Matthews
Rielly

PP2: Johnsson
Rakell - Necas - Mikheyev
Rosen

PK1: Glendening-Hyman
Muzzin - Zaitsev

PK2: Marner - Moore
Dermott - Pesce

Pros:
-balanced top pair
-lethal 2nd line with size
-2 right handed centers

Questions:
-can Mikheyev play 3rd line minutes?
-can Necas play 3C?

Cons:
-Zaitsev is still around
-weaker 3rd line

Expansion draft protection:
F: Tavares
Marner
Matthews
Connor
Rakell
Johnsson
Bracco/Mikheyev/Korshkov
(don't protect Hyman then re-sign him as UFA)

D: Rielly
Pesce
Dermott

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
1. Garbage value
2. Meh if that’s the price to get rid of him
3. Double downgrade
4. f*** right off on acquiring another BabSon

Connor: we’re in no position to be offersheeting and even if so, we’re better off grabbing Panarin as a UFA

Reactions: Al14

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
What the absolute f***. Bracco and Marleau for a 5th? Lol what the f*** dude, what the f***.

No way Detroit trades Glendenning for Brown. Brown is worth a f***ing bag of pucks and a poutine.

Cmon

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
What the absolute ****. Bracco and Marleau for a 5th? Lol what the **** dude, what the ****.

No way Detroit trades Glendenning for Brown. Brown is worth a ****ing bag of pucks and a poutine.

Cmon

What's wrong with Marleau and Bracco for a 5th? Glendening is 4 years older than Brown with a career high of 12 goals and 23 points to Brown's career highs of 20 goals and 36 points. Brown has never put up a (full) season under 28 points.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
If Edmonton gives us 4 consecutive first round draft picks by offer sheeting one of our young studs we take the picks

Leafs have enough money to buy players from the KHL and go get 2 speedsters and maybe a reclamation project

Get the sports medicine department to give young players diet and workout and supplement support so they can fill out some of those sticks

Redouble reliance on analytics, skill, youth and speed. If there is an opportunity to trade an average skater for an exceptional one you do it. Use mathematics and not hot takes to reflect

Reactions: stopclickbait

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
What the absolute ****. Bracco and Marleau for a 5th? Lol what the **** dude, what the ****.

No way Detroit trades Glendenning for Brown. Brown is worth a ****ing bag of pucks and a poutine.

Cmon
Are you kidding? Detroit should be all over that! As bad as Brown has been this year, we've seen he can score 20 goals if placed in the right situation, and he's younger. Plus Detroit's been trying to move Glendenning for a while, and getting a piece back for him would probably be a bonus.
It's the LEAFS that would be stupid to make this trade, and times 10 if Babcock is still the head coach. Because Babcock would insist on playing Glendenning with Matthews or Tavares...

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
If Edmonton gives us 4 consecutive first round draft picks by offer sheeting one of our young studs we take the picks

Leafs have enough money to buy players from the KHL and go get 2 speedsters and maybe a reclamation project

Get the sports medicine department to give young players diet and workout and supplement support so they can fill out some of those sticks

Redouble reliance on analytics, skill, youth and speed. If there is an opportunity to trade an average skater for an exceptional one you do it. Use mathematics and not hot takes to reflect
The only person the Oilers could offersheet that would get us 4 first rounders is Mitch Marner, and you f***ing say no to that. Because with McDavid and Marner, plus Draisaitl, the only way the Oilers don't make the playoffs consistently is if their coach is as stupid as Babcock has been here. And then WE look like morons, because we let Marner go to keep an inferior winger in Nylander...

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
There's no way you get a 5th for Bracco and Marleau. I think Bracco is going to be amazing, but in no universe does your trade happen.

I'd like to see Bracco promoted, Babcock gone and look at getting some heavy wingers for the 3rd and 4th lines. I'd be willing to part with Nylander for the right price - don't think he's a winner.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, Glendenning is no go for me. It's bad enough that Babcock overplays our young scrubs already. I'd imagine he'd overplay Glendenning something stupid too.

Besides, Glendenning turns 30 in just 4 days, so, his best days are behind him already IMHO!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There's no way you get a 5th for Bracco and Marleau. I think Bracco is going to be amazing, but in no universe does your trade happen.

I'd like to see Bracco promoted, Babcock gone and look at getting some heavy wingers for the 3rd and 4th lines. I'd be willing to part with Nylander for the right price - don't think he's a winner.
What? The NHL doesn't have a pretty boy award he can win?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Wishlist:

Keefe named HC
Marleau evaporates
Brown traded
Upgrade on Zaitsev if possible.
UFA goalie to compete with Sparks/Play for Marlies

My roster next year:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Marchment-Gauthier-Bracco
Timashov

Timashov/Marchment/Carcone need waivers so one of them for 4LW, one as extra forward. Engvall or Korshkov possibly compete for a spot.

Rielly-Upgrade on Z
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren
Borgman-Holl

Andersen
Sparks/UFA

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
What's wrong with Marleau and Bracco for a 5th? Glendening is 4 years older than Brown with a career high of 12 goals and 23 points to Brown's career highs of 20 goals and 36 points. Brown has never put up a (full) season under 28 points.
Getting rid of the last year of Marleau isn't worth losing the shot at Bracco being something. Even if he's a 3rd line winger you don't throw those away for nothing...
Not to mention with our cap crunch cheap players with some talent will be crucial for filling out our lines.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

I based this off the Datsyuk and Bickell trades while also taking into account the fact that Marleau chose Toronto and his kids are growing up here so Ottawa would allow him to still live in Toronto.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I based this off the Datsyuk and Bickell trades while also taking into account the fact that Marleau chose Toronto and his kids are growing up here so Ottawa would allow him to still live in Toronto.
I thought Marleau, and his family, still live in California in the off season. No?

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Bracco and Matthews has the potential to be lethal. Bracco probably has the best vision/ playmaking skills in the entire organization, IMO. He' s not as athletic as Marner though and serves up the same kind of muffin shots. Babcock will hate him, I'm sure.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Getting rid of the last year of Marleau isn't worth losing the shot at Bracco being something. Even if he's a 3rd line winger you don't throw those away for nothing...
Not to mention with our cap crunch cheap players with some talent will be crucial for filling out our lines.

Do you think Hollowell/Scott/Timashov would be enough value to move the contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad