Line Combos: What is your offseason wish list?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
In order of importance:

1. Mitch comes in for eight years at 9. 75-10.1, less years less money, if he only wants five years than take 8.75 or enjoy Arizona.

2. Patty Marleau retires and we ship his contract plus a pick to Arizona or Ottawa.

3. The Leafs and Jake Gardiner mutually part ways amicably.

4. Johnsson takes a 5 year deal at 3.25, Kappy bridges for 3 for slightly less.

5. We somehow finally get our hands on a much needed RHD with good physical play who is at least good in our end, I too like Colin Miller.

The following I see as more optional:

6. We get a 3rd for Brown.

7. We get more draft picks and somehow move up into the first.

8. We get a solid backup goalie.

9. If we truly can get a legit RHD but the team is asking for Kadri, do it, I think Willy is ready to C more time there.

10. More up and cummers from the Marlies make waves; Moore is ready and I think Bracco is too.

Last edited:

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Kadri gone priority 1.
Do not bring back Gardiner.
Captain put on John Tavares. And the dressing room keys taken away from Matthews, Marner and Nylander.
Move on from Kapanen.
Lots of preseason given to Marchment and Engvall.
A Charlie Coyle type 3c.
The last of Frederick Gauthier.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
1. Sign Marner 10.41x8. The big 4 makes 40M combined for the next 5 years.
2. Sign Johnsson 2.9x4.
3. Sign James Reimer 1.34x3 after Florida buys him out.
4. Trade Brown and Zaitsev to Vancouver for Troy Stecher. Dubas gets in on the fun of fleecing Benning.
5. Trade Kapanen to Vegas for Colin Miller.
6. Trade Marleau+ at 1.5M retained to San Jose for Barclay Goodrow with a 3rd team getting assets to retain 50% of the remainder.
7. Horton, Hyman and Dermott start the season on LTIR.
8. Matthews gets the C.

2019-20 Lineup:
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kadri-Bracco
Petan-Goodrow-Korshkov
*Goat*

Rielly-Miller
Muzzin-Stecher
Rosen-Liljegren
*Kivihalme-Holl*

Andersen
Reimer

Reactions: NHL WAR

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
-sign Marner long term
-sign Kappy and Johnsson to bridge deals
-trade Nylander for top four D man to play with Rielly
-find reliable backup goalie
-trade Brown if possible to free some cap space
-sign veteran d man with bite for 3rd pairing

-pray some rookies like Sandin, Liljegren and Bracco step up and shine in camp

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Hope that Liljegren & Sandin both graduate (at some point during the season) & play reasonably well.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
my wish for the off season is that the coach develops a thinking that when trailing in a game he plays his stars more and knows how to adjust and doesn't depend on the washed up vets too much.

if the current coach can't do this then find a new coach who can

Other wish list:
- Kadri gets his head out of his ass in the playoffs
- Freddie becomes mentally tough and doesn't give up softies
- we play the players who are best more and do not let entitled "vets" or the so called "gud pros" get ice time who can't do anything

Line up:
Moore-Tavares-Marner
Korshkov-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau/Engvall-Goat-Marchment

Muzzin Rielly
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen (or UFA D-man) Liljegren
Holl

Freddie
xxx

PP1: (play folks on their off-side for one timers)
Marner(Left wall) - Tavares (Screen) - Matthews (right wall) - Johnsson/Kapanen (man high) - Rielly (point)

PP2:
Nylander (left wall) - Korshkov (screen) - Kadri (right wall) - Moore (man high) - Liljegren (point)

P.S.

1) If Johnsson/Kapanen cannot be signed then slot in Bracco

2) When Hyman gets back and is available ease him in and then decide where he would play based on his play and take out someone who has been underwhelming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Spurgeon
A reasonable 8 year deal for Marner
Get rid of Marleau, somehow, any how
Brown for a draft pick
New assistant coaches
Good bridge deal for Johnsson
Unsure about Kapanen. Might want to free up the space for Bracco and use the money/asset on a defender like Spurgeon

On a random note, Bracco autocorrected to "a taco" and that's hilarious, especially in the context of my sentence.

Reactions: Al14 and SAMCRO44

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Getting rid of the last year of Marleau isn't worth losing the shot at Bracco being something. Even if he's a 3rd line winger you don't throw those away for nothing...
Not to mention with our cap crunch cheap players with some talent will be crucial for filling out our lines.

Yeah it is if we have to trade Kappy or Johnsson for cap space

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
  • Get rid of Zaitsev
  • Get rid of Marleau
  • Sell Brown for something of nominal value
  • Retain Gardiner
  • Sign Marner for <= $10m x 8y
  • Sign Erik Karlsson
Move out a good player to fit Karlsson if necessary.

Reactions: Magic Man

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Don't do anything stupid and knee jerk for a start

Then look into ditching Brown, Zaitsev and Marleau
Sign our RFA'S if there not asking for something rediculous and if they are explore trading them
Sort out the defense and backup goaltender once we know our cap situation

I'd wait a year to make a decision on Babcock but I have a lot of sympathy for people who want to fire his ass right now

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I want Jim Hughson traded to Detroit for Ken Daniels.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Something surrounding Kapanen for a spurgeon type, offload brown and zaitsev. Sign marner under 10, sign a depth RHD and backup goalie. Marleau being traded would be amazing but I just don't think it's possible.

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Moore Kadri Bracco
Marleau Gauthier Engvall

Reilly Spurgeon
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Lovejoy

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
  • Give Matthews the C
  • Sign Marner for less than 10 million
  • Acquire an NHL caliber D via trade (RH preferred)*
  • Trade Brown
  • Let Gardiner walk
  • At least one of Smith/Hiller fired

*One of Kadri/AJ/Kap as base to acquire.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Leafs’ off-season excitement begins at home this year | The Star
So exactly how is the NHL’s seventh best team during the regular season going to get better?

There are certainly names out there on the trading block, players like P.K. Subban, Tyson Barrie, Chris Kreider and Jesse Puljujarvi, who has told Edmonton he would rather play in Finland than continue to be an Oiler. Kasperi Kapanen’s name is out there, and so is Connor Brown, with links again to the Oilers. Nazem Kadri’s future is uncertain after another damaging suspension in the playoffs, but replacing Kadri is no easy deal and this would have to be for more than just cap relief.

Assuming there is no Tavares-like star coming this summer, the path to getting better for the Leafs consists of Marner getting signed soon and continuing to get better, Matthews and Nylander continuing to develop into elite NHLers, Morgan Rielly solidifying his status as a top NHL rearguard and the modified coaching staff under Mike Babcock finding a way to get more out of this young roster as it matures.

One intriguing area to watch is between the pipes. For the third straight spring, the Leafs were out-goaltended in the playoffs, with Freddie Andersen getting most of the work. Despite claims last season by prominent media members that Andersen was one of the best goalies in the league, he wasn’t. Vezina Trophy voting had the workhorse Leafs goalie tied for 10th with John Gibson of Anaheim and Vancouver’s Jacob Markstrom. So based on the opinions of the league’s general managers, Anderson is regarded as a middle-tier starter.

And there was a major drop-off in backup goaltending last season, going from Curtis McElhinney to Garrett Sparks. The Leafs have goalie prospects in the system, including draft picks Joseph Woll and Ian Scott, but nobody is ready to jump in and challenge Andersen. This would seem to be an area where Dubas could make an impact, improving on the league’s 12th best goals-against numbers last season.

In general, the moves the Leafs are likeliest to make should be subtle and internal. You can’t totally dismiss the possibility that Dubas might come up with a big move — Kadri seems the likeliest possibility — but it just seems promoting players from the AHL Marlies and giving a couple of Euro free agents a shot seems more where this is heading in the next few weeks.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I’d roll the dice on Puljujarvi if the ask wasn’t crazy. Wouldn’t mind prying nurse out of Edmonton too.
Maybe
Brown and Zaitsev + for Puljujarvi and nurse

Kadri to minny for dumba

Marleau to Sanjose or anyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->