Line Combos: What is your offseason wish list?

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Moore - Matthews - Nylander (20 mins)
Hyman - Tavares - Marner (20 mins)
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen (14 mins)
______ - Gauthier - ______ (6 mins)

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Sandin - Rosen
Holl / Borgman

Andersen (55 games)
Hutchinson

PP - 1:40
Marner Tavares (both at the posts to give option of pass below)
Nylander Matthews (both for one timer options and shooting)
Rielly

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Babcock Gone
Marleau, Gardiner Gone
Trade: Kadri, Nylander, Brown
Get: Lowry/Jenner, Pesce, Clifford/Lemieux, Pick
I treally like luv dat but not babcock gone of course. He still has his millions of dollars here and stays so that ain't even an option. The man stays.

Great players to get, Lowry Jenner would be ideal like a mother. Clifford Pesce Lemieux also. You did fantastic with the players. :clap: You know ice hockey and also our needs. Exactly the guys we need. That would make our TEAM WHOLE. Period. Period. We will take this into consideration.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Babs-out
Ass. Coaches-out
Gardiner-out
Marleau-out
Goat-out
Kadri-out
Nylander-out

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Poutine has never passed my lips. I figure if I could spend my life not passing blow through my nose I could do it for poutine

Two wise decisions. To be sociable, I went along with a group to some trendy poutine place for lunch. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. And so did a couple of others. I think you should have a "1" at the front of your age in order to safely consume poutine.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I think it’s time to let Babcock go. You watch other coaches and what they are able to do and then compare it to Babcock.
Craig Berube came in to St Louis and changed the style the teams to meet the personnel
Rick Tochet did a great job with a scrap heap of Coyotes.
Rod Brind’Amour just advanced to the semis.
Bruce Cassidy works magic with his team

I keep thinking about Scotty Bowman and how he adapted over several decades. It’s not a mistake that he had 10+ rings

Babcock did a great job changing the culture and turning the ship around. But, what made him unsuccessful in Detroit is making him unsuccessful in Toronto. 10 years of the same thing is not a blip.
It’s highly unlikely that he’ll change his ways so I’m not sure giving him another year is the right thing for this team.

He'd be perfect for a team that rebuilding.
One of Bowmans great lines was “ if something is wrong, it wont be for long”. meaning he adapts to what is not working, thats why he was so successful. Babcock on the other hand just keep trying to drive a square peg into a round hole. He rather lose doing things his way then adapting and winning another way. Just a brutal coach. Arrogant, stubborn and egotistic, the 3 things that I hate in a coach and he has them all in abundance.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Johnsson Matthews Bracco
Hyman Tavares Marner
Moore Nylander Kap
Engvall Goat Marchment (massive fourth line)
Petan

Rielly RHD
Muzzin RHD
Rosen Dermott
7/8: Sandin/Lilly

Andersen
Hutch

All remaining cap space and assets put towards two top four RHD and removing Kadri, Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev, Oz, Holl.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
If he gets another year then Leafs management is more about saving some money then getting serious about winning a cup imo.
Are there murmurs of him being axed.. or are we all just angry right now?

I dunno

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The wish list and practical list are different.

Priority #1 - sign Marner

Priority #1b cap space to sign Marner - Kadri, Gardiner are gone (Marleau isn't going anywhere. Anyone who rejoiced at the signing with a NMC... enjoy). Gardiner won't be resigned and Kadri will be gone but we can't take salary back. Picks and Prospects. Lowered expectations.

Priority #2 replacing them with healthy but older and cheaper UFAs... not because it's ideal... but because it is practical.

Priority #3 - getting Kapanen under contract. Making some overtures to Muzzin's agent and getting that discussion started

Priority #4 - (or 1 for Shanahan) - can the Coach and GM get along? Don't foresee a move here but putting replacements for either on the radar should be a thought

It really feels like 43 has played his last game with the leafs, declining production but at a decent cap hit, put himself in a position where he could not help his team at the most important time of the season, 2 years in a row.

Reactions: Pookie

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The issue with trading Kadri is you still need to either find a replacement 3C, or a Replacement 2RW to take over for Willy. I’m not sure how much cap savings, if any we’ll find.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Would be nice if we could shed enough salary in order to sign Ferland. Perfect LW for matthews or even tavares. Marleau, brown and nylander would need to be shipped out at a minimum

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The issue with trading Kadri is you still need to either find a replacement 3C, or a Replacement 2RW to take over for Willy. I’m not sure how much cap savings, if any we’ll find.

Moore could probably take some line 3 minutes.

The only other option is trading Zeitsev and finding a replacement for him and Gardiner.

Kadri is gone. It’s not like he was here when it mattered anyways.

Reactions: Hclass47

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Bracco and Matthews has the potential to be lethal. Bracco probably has the best vision/ playmaking skills in the entire organization, IMO. He' s not as athletic as Marner though and serves up the same kind of muffin shots. Babcock will hate him, I'm sure.

Bracco could potentially be Marner lite. Just Smaller, slower version with elite vision / creativity.

Bracco issue is the team is loaded with RW

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Sandin - Rosen
Holl / Borgman

Andersen (55 games)
Hutchinson

Rielly

That line up could very well be real with marlies filling in on the fourth. Minutes will vary pending if the team is leading or losing as Babs has said before.

Personally I wouldn’t load the power play there is too much skill on the team. The one thing I’d like to see is Marner/ Willy on there opposite wings utilizing the point with 1 timers more

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Sandin - Rosen
Holl / Borgman

Andersen (55 games)
Hutchinson

Rielly

Who steps in for Kadri in the playoffs next year?

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
1. Babs gone
2. Gards gone
3. Marleau gone
4. One of Willie/Kadri gone
5. Use #4 to help on D.
6. Brown gone.
7. Sandin gets meaningful shot

*I assume Rosen is 100% on this team.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan

I dunno
I think only Leaf management knows for sure. As for being angry right now, I think alot of Leaf fans have been angry with Babcock for a long time now including myself. I wanted him gone during the playoffs against the Caps, and had to put up with his stupid crap for 2 more full seasons since. Its obvious he is not the right coach for this team. I also believe alot of the players dont want him as coach either. Not much point having a cancer like that around, it will be just a wasted year again next year. You will see a different team when the Leafs get a coach that the players want to play for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratboy

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I dunno
We're still waiting for the dust to settle here.

The main takeaway from today is that Dubas was given an opportunity to provide some insight into the future of Babcock in Toronto and he did not say anything favorable towards it.

I imagine Shanny will be having a one-on-one meeting with Babcock and ask him the hard questions that the media won't. If he doesn't like his answers, he's gone.

Reactions: Ratboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad