What is your most unpopular Rangers opinion?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The Hype was way overkill, like the church of Kakko, Hughes vs Kakko arguments, and etc. I was more excited and you can find my old posts, that I was more excited for the additions of Panarin and Adam Fox. So definitely is an unpopular opinion as I was not on the Kakko hype train and said lets see what this kid can do first before assuming what he will be. Again, can still become a great player, but I don't think he will be this player everyone set him out to be. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, prior to the season many people who watched him in Finland thought he was a Rantanen type, maybe with a slightly higher ceiling. Rantanen is a very good player but not someone i would define as a "franchise winger" so if Kakko "only" becomes another Rantanen that is a pretty good return for 2nd overall.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
AV was a better coach than he gets credit for on here.

The perceived memory of Torts is way more flattering than the reality was.

The best thing for the Rangers is for Lundqvist to retire after this season.

Miller will not be quite as good as posters on here hope he is.

Lundkvist will be traded as part of a package for an elite forward or a LD.

Zibanejad's injuries are going to catch up to him sooner than we want to acknowledge.

Lias Andersson has a point.

The money invested in an aging Panarin is going to bite us on the ass when we have an opportunity to acquire an elite talent, in their prime, at the peak of our window being open.

Chytil will a very good second line player, but his flaws as a center will prevent him from being elite or an ideal first line pivot.

Vitali Kravtsov will be a bit of a tease in his career who frustrates this fan base.

Ryan Lindgren, and not Hajek will have the longer career with the Rangers.

Brendan Lemieux does not have the offensive upside some hoped he has.

Brett Howden will reward the Rangers if they can stay patient.

The Rangers would've won in 1994 with Amonte and Gartner instead of Matteau, Noonan and Andersson.

Not closing the deal on Brendan Shanahan in either 1995 or 1996 cost the Rangers another cup.

A lot more goalies belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Home jerseys should be white. It's time to switch back to home jerseys being white.

I like the Rangers white jerseys more than their blue jerseys.
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you think basically everything the team has done in the rebuild to this point will work worse than hoped, except for...

...Howden?

Yikes. :(

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Very much so. How many 18 year olds in history of the NHL scored that may points? Just because McDavid did, that does not make it the rule.

A 50 point player is a top line player in this league. Expecting Kakko to be at 18 that was setting oneself up for failure.

I think your gauges are off. 50 points is not a top line player. McDavid had 48 points in 45 games his rookie season. Plenty of non-McDavid level 18 year olds have had 50 points. Hischier is one. Nugent Hopkins, Landeskog, the list goes on. Kakko is on pace for less than 30 points , thats pretty bad. Good thing is so are Hughes and Dach (or around 30ish, anyway) so idk whats going on this season.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Deleted member 23124

1. We should have moved across 8th Avenue instead of renovating the current Garden. Tax breaks be damned.
2. Marek Malik was never as bad as many fans thought he was.
3. Our goal horn (which is a recording btw) and goal song should be retired after 25 years.
4. This team has no excuse for being as horrible as it was between 1942 and 1972. Think of how much more popular hockey would be in this country overall if the New York-based team had a competent history.
5. Mike Gartner was a legitimate elite forward.
Goal song should be banned!!!

Deleted member 23124

More unpopular takes:

-Rozsival was never as bad as many fans thought he was.
-Dubinsky should have been named an alternate captain after the 2010-11 season.
-Messier tarnished his legacy a little bit in his 2nd stint with the Rangers. I'll always appreciate him for 94, but his 2nd stint left a sour taste.
Rozsival was never as good as many fans thought he was.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Well yea people get smarter and learn that what they thought in the past was wrong. Leadoff hitters in baseball who hit .280 with a .300 OBP and stole 50 bases weren't good players just because at the time people thought they were good. We know now that we were wrong and that a high OBP there is much more important than the batting average and speed.

don't know what that has to do with the NHL. The Blues proved that small and fast and skilled is only good for the regular season.

Reactions: leetch99

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
- Trouba sucks
- Skjei is underrated and if he gets moved watch him become a beast on another team without Ruff
- Buchnevich is very good
- DeAngelo is our best dman not only offensively but defensively as well, AINEC. He should also wear an 'A'.
- Namestnikov has top 10 hockey IQ in the league
- David Quinn is a great coach
- Panarin should get the C over Zibanejad (if his English level permits him to talk to refs etc). His personality & charisma is Ovechkin level

Reactions: Allan92

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you think basically everything the team has done in the rebuild to this point will work worse than hoped, except for...

...Howden?

Yikes. :(

Not at all.

I think ADA, Fox and Lundvist will all have higher value/impacts than originally expected.

I think Kakko will be as advertised. I think Shesterkin is the real deal. I think Lindgren will give us a much needed dynamic. I think Chytil will give us excellent value for a 21st overall pick.

I also think we have to be realistic with certain expectations. If everyone ends up as we project their ceilings, we're going to have a team that scores like the 1984 Edmonton Oilers. That's just not realistic.

But the question was seeking unpopular opinions. So the good things I mentioned wouldn't be "unpopular."

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
don't know what that has to do with the NHL. The Blues proved that small and fast and skilled is only good for the regular season.

The Blues did not prove anything as it is not possible for one team to do so.

And it doesn't have anything to do with the NHL nor did I say otherwise.

It has to do with revising opinions on things as new information comes to light. We don't still this scientists who thought the Sun revolved around the Earth were correct in their time because new information has shown that is not the case.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
- The Rangers logo, while 'classic', is really boring. The jersey's are fine but it makes the rest of the merchandise (especially caps) really dull
- Assuming the front office had already decided to move on from AV, we should have kept JT Miller and seen how he performed under a new coach
- you would achieve 90%+ the same result if you fired our (or most other team's) amateur scouting staff and hired one guy to collate a weighted list of the 6 most popular draft guides and used that as the list on draft day

Reactions: Thirty One

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
- you would achieve 90%+ the same result if you fired our (or most other team's) amateur scouting staff and hired one guy to collate a weighted list of the 6 most popular draft guides and used that as the list on draft day
I've wondered how a cheap team hasn't done that already.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
NHL fancy stats have not matured past the newborn phase as of yet. That said, I'm looking forward to some big developments in the field over the next couple of years- don't let me down NERDS

Reactions: mrhockey193195

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I've wondered how a cheap team hasn't done that already.

They probably have :laugh:
I had a spreadsheet going for a few years pitting our staff against Future Considerations and while a lot of the players picked were different it was a bit of a wash in terms of talent. Biggest difference was the McI pick and it all gets very, very hit and miss from around pick 90 on-wards. You also get a lot of goalies so have to make exceptions.
We would have had Victor Arvidsson though...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Oh and I've got another one...

I was never convinced that Cherepanov would have necessarily become a star in the NHL. His post draft year he showed little to no development.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Can’t pay me to read the thread about him, where I’m sure people’s heads are falling off, but it’s not crazy to be a little scared about Kakko. I even worry about his health stuff, though I know Domi has the same thing and he doesn’t look lethargic at all (not being 18 probably helps him out)

Pavel Buchnevich isn’t worth all the arguments about him, on both sides. Like how does everyone still have so much to say about Pavel Buchnevich?

Rangers should get a third jersey that has nothing to do with our red white blue color scheme at all. A totally different look. Liberty jerseys would be fine I guess but I’m so bored by all the heritage vintage original six stuff

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
- Trouba sucks
- Skjei is underrated and if he gets moved watch him become a beast on another team without Ruff
- Buchnevich is very good
- DeAngelo is our best dman not only offensively but defensively as well, AINEC. He should also wear an 'A'.
- Namestnikov has top 10 hockey IQ in the league
- David Quinn is a great coach
- Panarin should get the C over Zibanejad (if his English level permits him to talk to refs etc). His personality & charisma is Ovechkin level
Agreed with all except Buch.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA