What is your most unpopular Rangers opinion?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I figured in the midst of trade rumors and a lengthy break it might be fun to discuss some of our more controversial or potentially unpopular Rangers- related opinions.

I've seen some good ones over the years on multiple boards- things like that Montoya was better than Lundqvist and just never got a fair shot, that it was a good thing the Rangers original trade for Lindros got nixed, ect.

I'll start with my own- Mike Richter was an extremely average NHL goaltender who was often outplayed by his own backup, and it would have been better if the Rangers had stuck with Cloutier instead.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
This was an unpopular take at the time, but I think opinions have changed through the years: No, Torts did not hold back the offense in 2013, and we wouldn't have beaten Chicago had we made the finals that year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Bad under a non-Torts system, or bad even under Torts.

Just mostly always bad in general but perceived as good in a time period where people had a poor understanding of what makes a good defenseman. They each had a couple of fine seasons when they first came up and then that was it.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
if the Czech line was a 2ed line on the Rangers, they would have made the playoffs during those bad times

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
More unpopular takes:

-Rozsival was never as bad as many fans thought he was.
-Dubinsky should have been named an alternate captain after the 2010-11 season.
-Messier tarnished his legacy a little bit in his 2nd stint with the Rangers. I'll always appreciate him for 94, but his 2nd stint left a sour taste.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Interesting thread.

Conceptually, my (consistent) take is that points do not necessarily tell the ‘production’ story. For example, my favorite whipping boy Buchnevich may be a 20 goal/45 point player, but his decision making/intangibles/general disposition makes him a huge minus. He may be quite skilled, but the sum doesn’t equal the parts, and so you can declare his skill to be Top-6, but I’m certain his ‘loss’ would help the team.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
The Rangers should bring back the NEW YORK wordmark for the road jersey.

BzrJQ7WCUAAjjRo.jpg

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
More unpopular takes:

-Rozsival was never as bad as many fans thought he was.
-Dubinsky should have been named an alternate captain after the 2010-11 season.
-Messier tarnished his legacy a little bit in his 2nd stint with the Rangers. I'll always appreciate him for 94, but his 2nd stint left a sour taste.
None of these seem too unpopular to me *shrug*

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Just mostly always bad in general but perceived as good in a time period where people had a poor understanding of what makes a good defenseman. They each had a couple of fine seasons when they first came up and then that was it.

That "time period" is now. Small, fast, right shot offensive d-men are in vogue I wonder how long that will last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->