What is your most unpopular Rangers opinion?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tom Renney was an under-appreciated and underrated Ranger head coach.
Beat me to it.
Dan Girardi and Marc Staal were always bad.
Very young Girardi under Renney was good.

I don't think Torts was a bad coach but him teaching Girardi to be super passive and block everything that moved was the worst thing that could have happened to him.

I don't know if "bad" is the word, but prime Staal was more underwhelming than I think people remember.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One thing I know a lot of people didn't like was my opinion that Rick Nash after the 14-15 season was just an average player and that we were lucky to get as much as we got for him. Really Ryan Strome has been a better player for us this year than Nash was in his last 3 years and that's ironic in that Strome came to us for Ryan Spooner who was a throw in piece for Boston to get cap compliant in the deal. We really screwed the Bruins on that one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Welp, while we're here, I'm just gonna say it and would love to be wrong: Kakko is never going to live up to the hype over the summer.

Reactions: Siddi

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
1. We should have moved across 8th Avenue instead of renovating the current Garden. Tax breaks be damned.
2. Marek Malik was never as bad as many fans thought he was.
3. Our goal horn (which is a recording btw) and goal song should be retired after 25 years.
4. This team has no excuse for being as horrible as it was between 1942 and 1972. Think of how much more popular hockey would be in this country overall if the New York-based team had a competent history.
5. Mike Gartner was a legitimate elite forward.

Reactions: yrrebbor

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Welp, while we're here, I'm just gonna say it and would love to be wrong: Kakko is never going to live up to the hype over the summer.

The Hype was way overkill, like the church of Kakko, Hughes vs Kakko arguments, and etc. I was more excited and you can find my old posts, that I was more excited for the additions of Panarin and Adam Fox. So definitely is an unpopular opinion as I was not on the Kakko hype train and said lets see what this kid can do first before assuming what he will be. Again, can still become a great player, but I don't think he will be this player everyone set him out to be. I hope I'm wrong.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Hype was way overkill, like the church of Kakko, Hughes vs Kakko arguments, and etc. I was more excited and you can find my old posts, that I was more excited for the additions of Panarin and Adam Fox. So definitely is an unpopular opinion as I was not on the Kakko hype train and said lets see what this kid can do first before assuming what he will be. Again, can still become a great player, but I don't think he will be this player everyone set him out to be. I hope I'm wrong.
I think he'll be a good player and can be a very good player, but I'm seeing limitations that aren't befitting a franchise talent. I also think he's being handled horribly and we've seen the effect that can have.

Reactions: William Moneylander

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
That this year the C should have gone to Strome
No C is fine with me.
But i am in no hurry to add that to Zib's plate
Giving the C to NYR's emerging best player, McD, short-circuited his arrival as s consistent Norris consideration
A Kisio/Nevin type Captain is fine with me, even if Strome doesnt last the season, he'd have been my preference if they named one

My other real unpopular opinion is i never declare a player to be a bust during his ELC or so. Players develop at different rates, by different pathes. Some excell immediately, others need time. Before '17-18 some folks were damning MacKinnon as overrated and a wasted high pick. Beginning with his 5th season, he's been a beast. Rushing to judgement re a player under 23 has never made sense to me.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kakko, I think next season he will have a season much like Chytil is currently having. It's not really a break out season, yet there does appear to be some visible progress being made.

Which brings me to an unpopular opinion, this rebuild is going to take longer than anyone wants. Yet if the Rangers do not remain patient each move they make to accelerate it risks the outcome not having as high as a peak as it potentially could.

Reactions: leetch99

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers have not drafted an All-Star forward since Chris Kreider who was a replacement player for Panarin

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If he ends up being pre-injury Frolov, I would sign up for that.

Peak Frolov would be fine- assuming he held that level for longer.

Anything less would be a serious disappointment. Less than 200 goals?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Don't like the handling of a lot of younger players in the organization. It is an alarming concern for some of these guys to look like duds as soon as they play for the Rangers organization. I think it's a by-product from the top.

The team still plays a bad style of hockey that will affect these players long term. Literally worst in the NHL in most advanced stats.

We saw what happened with Buffalo/Edmonton's bright core when they were exposed to bad systems play for a long time. The Rangers can hide that up in the standings because they always have elite goaltending.

I think Gorton has enough strikes (McDonagh trade, Andersson pick, Smith contract, Quinn, etc) to get fired and get a new direction for the organization. I actually want to see them try to control the pace of play for once. The same regiment has been in upper management for the past ~10 years and their style of play has always been praying the goalie gives a 9/10 performance for the most part. It needs to change ASAP.

I'd be shocked if a team like the Kings don't become a contender before the Rangers because they seem to have a strong philosophy in place.

Reactions: Machinehead

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Richter is a mediocre goalie with generally underwhelming regular seasons with a few superb postseasons.

Reactions: nyrleetch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad