What is your most unpopular Rangers opinion?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That "time period" is now. Small, fast, right shot offensive d-men are in vogue I wonder how long that will last.

Well yea people get smarter and learn that what they thought in the past was wrong. Leadoff hitters in baseball who hit .280 with a .300 OBP and stole 50 bases weren't good players just because at the time people thought they were good. We know now that we were wrong and that a high OBP there is much more important than the batting average and speed.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Did not have to rebuild. Could have just traded UFAs and kept players with term. And no big UFA signings except Panarin. Re-signed the captain.
Today top nine forwards and top four defenders and top 3 goalies:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Fast
Lemeuix - Chytil - Kakko

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - DeAngelo

Lundquist, Shesterkin, Georgiev

Without the rebuild:

Kreider - Stepan -Buchnevich
Panarin - JT Miller - Strome
Lemeuix - Chytil - Fast

Skjei - Trouba
McDonagh - Fox

Cons; No Andersson, DeAngelo,Zibanejad,Kakko,Howden,Hajek,
Pros: Stepan, Return for Brassard, McDonagh, JT Miller, No byouts of Girardi and Shattenkirk, More cap the last years to make smaller moves.

And no tanking. No letter.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Did not have to rebuild. Could have just traded UFAs and kept players with term. And no big UFA signings. Re-signed the captain.
Today top nine forwards and top four defenders and top 3 goalies:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Fast
Lemeuix - Chytil - Kakko

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - DeAngelo

Without the rebuild:

Kreider - Stepan -Buchnevich
Panarin - JT Miller - Strome
Lemeuix - Chytil - Fast

Skjei - Trouba
McDonagh - Fox

Cons; No Andersson, DeAngelo,Zibanejad,Kakko,Howden,Hajek,
Pros: Stepan, Return for Brassard, McDonagh, JT Miller, No byouts of Girardi and Shattenkirk, More cap the last years to make smaller moves.

And no tanking. No letter.
We only play w 4 defensemen AND Buch plays on the top line????

NOT to mention no ADA and Kreider would be waiting at the blue line for Stepan until August

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A very odd tenure to be sure. He was here such a short time but I don't think I've seen a Ranger who could finish the way he did.

I don't think younger fans truly know just how sick of a player Pavel Bure was.

The guy scored 437 goals 779 points --- and almost all of them occurred before his 32nd birthday.

Then you realize the guy lost 250 some odd games to lockouts, contracts, and injuries. There's no "projecting bias" when saying you could add 33 percent to his totals had he played in those games. So now you're looking at a guy who could've posted 581 goals and 1000+ points by age 32.

And that doesn't even take into account that his knees were a train wreck in the finals years of his career, so who knows how much more of a boost his numbers would've gotten. The sick thing is that even on one knee he was a still a lightning bolt on the ice.

And then, on top of all that, he barely got a boost from the high-scoring era of the 80s and early 90s. He spent the majority of his career in the clutch and grab, defensive era. Can you imagine his numbers in say, 1986? This guy could've challenged the single season goal scoring marks of Gretzky and Lemieux --- no exaggeration.

I remember watching him in 1994 and it was like watching someone from another planet. This is a guy who made Leetch, Andersson, Kovalev look like average NHL skaters --- that's the kind of level he was playing at compared to his peers.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
And then, on top of all that, he barely got a boost from the high-scoring era of the 80s and early 90s. He spent the majority of his career in the clutch and grab, defensive era. Can you imagine his numbers in say, 1986? This guy could've challenged the single season goal scoring marks of Gretzky and Lemieux --- no exaggeration.

I was going to add this until I saw you got to it!

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
We only play w 4 defensemen AND Buch plays on the top line????

NOT to mention no ADA and Kreider would be waiting at the blue line for Stepan until August

The lines are not important. The point is the team would look pretty similar. Zibanejad last saw playoffs in the loss to Brassard an the Sens. He may never play another playoff match with New York. DeAngelo might get traded. If that is the case then the whole rebuild is put on Kakkos shoulders.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
We currently have the right President of the NY Rangers (Popular opinion)
We currently have the right GM of the NY Rangers (Popular Opinion)
We currently have the right Coach of the NY Rangers (unpopular opinion here on HF)

We don't have (numerous pieces) the right *KIND* of players to successfully play a #RELENTLESS style of hockey.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Brady Skjei is really good
tenor.gif

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

The guy scored 437 goals 779 points --- and almost all of them occurred before his 32nd birthday.

Then you realize the guy lost 250 some odd games to lockouts, contracts, and injuries. There's no "projecting bias" when saying you could add 33 percent to his totals had he played in those games. So now you're looking at a guy who could've posted 581 goals and 1000+ points by age 32.

And that doesn't even take into account that his knees were a train wreck in the finals years of his career, so who knows how much more of a boost his numbers would've gotten. The sick thing is that even on one knee he was a still a lightning bolt on the ice.

I remember watching him in 1994 and it was like watching someone from another planet. This is a guy who made Leetch, Andersson, Kovalev look like average NHL skaters --- that's the kind of level he was playing at compared to his peers.

He was one of the most electric players i have ever seen live.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
AV was a better coach than he gets credit for on here.

The perceived memory of Torts is way more flattering than the reality was.

The best thing for the Rangers is for Lundqvist to retire after this season.

Miller will not be quite as good as posters on here hope he is.

Lundkvist will be traded as part of a package for an elite forward or a LD.

Zibanejad's injuries are going to catch up to him sooner than we want to acknowledge.

Lias Andersson has a point.

The money invested in an aging Panarin is going to bite us on the ass when we have an opportunity to acquire an elite talent, in their prime, at the peak of our window being open.

Chytil will a very good second line player, but his flaws as a center will prevent him from being elite or an ideal first line pivot.

Vitali Kravtsov will be a bit of a tease in his career who frustrates this fan base.

Ryan Lindgren, and not Hajek will have the longer career with the Rangers.

Brendan Lemieux does not have the offensive upside some hoped he has.

Brett Howden will reward the Rangers if they can stay patient.

The Rangers would've won in 1994 with Amonte and Gartner instead of Matteau, Noonan and Andersson.

Not closing the deal on Brendan Shanahan in either 1995 or 1996 cost the Rangers another cup.

A lot more goalies belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Home jerseys should be white. It's time to switch back to home jerseys being white.

I like the Rangers white jerseys more than their blue jerseys.

Reactions: yrrebbor

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I wasn’t born yet in his prime but I’ve always worn 10 & 96 because he’s my dad & uncle’s favorite player and my name is almost the same as his lol (Barre pronounced Bar-ay)
lTXec1u.jpg

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
AV was a better coach than he gets credit for on here.

The perceived memory of Torts is way more flattering than the reality was.

The best thing for the Rangers is for Lundqvist to retire after this season.

Miller will not be quite as good as posters on here hope he is.

Lundkvist will be traded as part of a package for an elite forward or a LD.

Zibanejad's injuries are going to catch up to him sooner than we want to acknowledge.

Lias Andersson has a point.

The money invested in an aging Panarin is going to bite us on the ass when we have an opportunity to acquire an elite talent, in their prime, at the peak of our window being open.

Chytil will a very good second line player, but his flaws as a center will prevent him from being elite or an ideal first line pivot.

Vitali Kravtsov will be a bit of a tease in his career who frustrates this fan base.

Ryan Lindgren, and not Hajek will have the longer career with the Rangers.

Brendan Lemieux does not have the offensive upside some hoped he has.

Brett Howden will reward the Rangers if they can stay patient.

The Rangers would've won in 1994 with Amonte and Gartner instead of Matteau, Noonan and Andersson.

Not closing the deal on Brendan Shanahan in either 1995 or 1996 cost the Rangers another cup.

A lot more goalies belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Home jerseys should be white. It's time to switch back to home jerseys being white.

I like the Rangers white jerseys more than their blue jerseys.
but tell us how you really feel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad