What if David Desharnais produces this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Overall I find this thread ridiculous.

Desharnais is not Martin St-Louis: lose the dream.

The only way Desharnais produces this year is if Therrien rewards him with the best ice time, opportunities, and linemates. If that happens, trade him while his value is high.

Totally agree. Desharnais has made the most of what he's got, however he remains a very replaceable asset, especially in an org. like ours, replete with diminutive types who can put up similar if not better numbers.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Totally agree. Desharnais has made the most of what he's got, however he remains a very replaceable asset, especially in an org. like ours, replete with diminutive types who can put up similar if not better numbers.
I said it before and I'll say it again... problem isn't so much DD, it's how we use him and what we've surrounded him with. He's a lightning rod because he represents all the we've done wrong over the years. Small player (some would say he's only here because he's French) and we're using him as a number one guy sucking up all the PP time.

Personally, I have nothing against him. He's a shifty little player and he's got some slick moves. But he really should be a number 3 guy offensive guy. He'd make sense on say Nashville that is hurting for offense. For us though... we've got tons of small skilled guys - too many of them. That's the problem. Don't hate the player, hate the way we've built the forward group.

Some of these guys need to be phased out. Makes sense to me... but then we add Briere. So I don't know what the hell we're doing on this front.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Yeah I don't know when this switch happened with the media and the English language in general but somehow when you compare two people these days, you are comparing every single aspect of those two people. This is why everyone has to be extra careful when they make comparisons these days. When someone says 'Galchenyuk has a similar playing style to Malkin', people go crazy on them and say 'Woah, you are comparing Galchenyuk to Malkin, do you even watch hockey?!" The reality is the person is just trying to say Galchenyuk plays in a similar style to Malkin without saying anything about where Galchenyuk may end up or that he as skilled as Malkin.

Similary, I am just saying if Desharnais doesn't produce this year, his contract would be a liability. I am not saying how big of a liability or whether he is as bad as Gomez was, I am saying the situation would have similarities to the Gomez one.

From now on, when I mention two names in a sentence, I will have to add that mandatory introduction part that every one has to add nowadays, "I'm not comparing them but.." which I find foolish because people should just know what I'm saying but hey, who am I to argue with how things are perceived nowadays?
Your talking about his contract but not about the money.:shakehead

You are talking about Gomez without mentioning their respective salary?

So contract is a liability but you don't want to talk about cost of the service.

I love Bournival but at 7M, I don't love his contract.
Same with Gomez, I hated him at 7M but would really consider seriously him at 700K.

3.5M will get you a 5th or 6th forward who will produce less than 50 points in most teams.
How is this contract is a liability?
Do you expect DD to get less than 40 points?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I said it before and I'll say it again... problem isn't so much DD, it's how we use him and what we've surrounded him with. He's a lightning rod because he represents all the we've done wrong over the years. Small player (some would say he's only here because he's French) and we're using him as a number one guy sucking up all the PP time.

Personally, I have nothing against him. He's a shifty little player and he's got some slick moves. But he really should be a number 3 guy offensive guy. He'd make sense on say Nashville that is hurting for offense. For us though... we've got tons of small skilled guys - too many of them. That's the problem. Don't hate the player, hate the way we've built the forward group.

Some of these guys need to be phased out. Makes sense to me... but then we add Briere. So I don't know what the hell we're doing on this front.

This is a solid analysis. For everyone that says we won't contend with DD, well DD isn't the problem, reality is we are never going to be real contenders until Galchenyuk is our #1 center. We are not winning a cup without a true #1 center. Until then, we will utilize what we got.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
This is a solid analysis. For everyone that says we won't contend with DD, well DD isn't the problem, reality is we are never going to be real contenders until Galchenyuk is our #1 center. We are not winning a cup without a true #1 center. Until then, we will utilize what we got.

Guess who's in the way of Galchenyuk playing at centre.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
the reality is this

if he is in your lineup your in trouble

there is no DD PLAYING ON ANY CONTENDER AND NEVER WILL

go down the list Boston, LA, Hawks , etc...

their dd`s are in the minors or not in thier system and will never be key guys in their lineup

8-10 players need to be flushed out before we can even think of being a contender one day

we arent close and the quicker we start the better we will be

You're full of it. Plenty of worse players have won cups. Wake up.

In fact, there are plenty worse every single year.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Are you aware that DD made 60 points while playing an average of 18 minutes a game?
On a team that rely on one single line to produce?
Playing with 2 Powerforwards?

Do you think DD will benefits from any of those again?

Patrice Bergeron hardly made 60pts in the las couple of season...does that mean that DD is as good cause he made 60 pts????

As for his line.....i would put Briere at center. DD'd lack of defensive skills would be a lot less of a problem!

DD is better defensively than DB, so unless your goal is to get worse, you shouldn't.

onemorecup*

You're full of it. Plenty of worse players have won cups. Wake up.

In fact, there are plenty worse every single year.

tell me whose jobs these guys would take in the Hawks lineup when they won the cup

SERIOUSLY TELL ME ON WHAT LINE AND WHO THE HELL YOU WOULD REMOVE TO INSERT THESE STIFFS WE HAVE IN TERMS OF ROLE , FIT , AND PRODUCTIVITY

HERE WE GO

DD
CUBE
MOEN
DIAZ
GIO
COLBY- GONE NOW BUT WAS THERE IN THE PLAYOFFS
DREWISKE
BRIERE- NOT THE 30 YEAR OLD , OUR BRIERE NOW

if these guys are going to replace , Sharp , Oduya , Shaw, Bolund , Kruger ,
Shaw , etc...then we ar so far from copmpeting its laughable

secondly name me who are " the worse players every year " you mentioned ?????

onemorecup*

very replaceable , correct

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
tell me whose jobs these guys would take in the Hawks lineup when they won the cup

SERIOUSLY TELL ME ON WHAT LINE AND WHO THE HELL YOU WOULD REMOVE TO INSERT THESE STIFFS WE HAVE IN TERMS OF ROLE , FIT , AND PRODUCTIVITY

HERE WE GO

DD
CUBE
MOEN
DIAZ
GIO
COLBY- GONE NOW BUT WAS THERE IN THE PLAYOFFS
DREWISKE
BRIERE- NOT THE 30 YEAR OLD , OUR BRIERE NOW

if these guys are going to replace , Sharp , Oduya , Shaw, Bolund , Kruger ,
Shaw , etc...then we ar so far from copmpeting its laughable

secondly name me who are " the worse players every year " you mentioned ?????
I'm not going to name them all, there's a handful on every cup winner worse than dd, all of them.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008

The problem lies in your conception that 60 ish points is easily replacable. In the last full season, there was only 58 players who reached it. The NHL has changed and we do not see multiple 100 pts plus seasons, as only 18 players got 70+ pts. A list of superstars. You guys will need to tell who is going to put 60+ pts to easily replace DD within our organisation, because there's not one player I see doing it yet. Maybe Eller and Galchenyuk in a year or two.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The problem lies in your conception that 60 ish points is easily replacable. In the last full season, there was only 58 players who reached it. The NHL has changed and we do not see multiple 100 pts plus seasons, as only 18 players got 70+ pts. A list of superstars. You guys will need to tell who is going to put 60+ pts to easily replace DD within our organisation, because there's not one player I see doing it yet. Maybe Eller and Galchenyuk in a year or two.

The problem, actually, is that you consider DD to be a 60 point player in a vacuum, when he has no pattern of producing except in the best of scoring circumstances. He was a 60 point player once, with the best linemates and opportunities we could give him. Not surprisingly, he was the lowest scoring member of that line. Equally not surprisingly, It looks like MaxPac and Briere are doing most of the offensive work on that line now. Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller could all likely produce more than DD in either of these situations, let alone "similar" solutions which could be brought in from elsewhere.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Your talking about his contract but not about the money.:shakehead

You are talking about Gomez without mentioning their respective salary?

So contract is a liability but you don't want to talk about cost of the service.

I love Bournival but at 7M, I don't love his contract.
Same with Gomez, I hated him at 7M but would really consider seriously him at 700K.

3.5M will get you a 5th or 6th forward who will produce less than 50 points in most teams.
How is this contract is a liability?
Do you expect DD to get less than 40 points?

Talking about his contract without talking about the money is exactly what I doing in fact. I thought that was clear from my last post. I am not going into the extent of how bad he is a liability, I am only saying that if Desharnais doesn't produce, his contract will be a liability. His contract will be a liability because he would be taking up a roster spot and ice time on a team that is too small. Just read LG's post that I agree with.

Also, we now have Bournival. If anyone of Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk are injured, I would want Bournival to get some cente minutes as a number 3 centre.

As I said, my worst fear is that if we end up in a situation where we have to 'showcase' Desharnais to give him playing time to try and bait other teams interest in him like we did with Gomez. The team would suffer as a result of this 'showcasing' and I would tear my hair out like when we kept playing Gomez.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Whether desharnais has a good season or not, he is a bridge player at the center position. Hopefully galchenyuk will be ready to take that spot at some point before or at desharnais' contract expiry. Eller continues to be a question mark so its probably up to galchenyuk and his rate of development

I would love for desharnais to put up good numbers as a hab for the duration of his term. It means that the habs could even get an asset back for him.

There's many bridge players on this team right now. Outside of pacioretty and plekanec, our top 6 is full of the bridge players

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The problem, actually, is that you consider DD to be a 60 point player in a vacuum, when he has no pattern of producing except in the best of scoring circumstances. He was a 60 point player once, with the best linemates and opportunities we could give him. Not surprisingly, he was the lowest scoring member of that line. Equally not surprisingly, It looks like MaxPac and Briere are doing most of the offensive work on that line now. Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller could all likely produce more than DD in either of these situations, let alone "similar" solutions which could be brought in from elsewhere.

So much wrong with this post, that it's hard to determine where to start.

Desharnais has played one full season, so it would have been pretty tough for him to score 60 points more than once.:laugh::laugh:

Desharnais was one point behind Cole with one less game. Only 5 behind MP. Quite significant differences:shakehead

Desharnais has no pattern of high level point production except for every level at which he has ever played-including the NHL.:sarcasm: Helluva vacuum.

Good to know that it "looks like" MB and MP are carrying the line. Thanks for the solid, factual analysis. LOL

For the record, DD has 88 points over the past 2 season. Only one Canadien has eclipsed that total. Points do not grow on trees in today's NHL nor are they simply a byproduct of playing situations.

Epic Fail. Please try again. Actually, don't.:laugh:

Last edited:

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

Desharnais has played one full season, so it would have been pretty tough for him to score 60 points more than once.:laugh::laugh:

Desharnais was one point behind Cole with one less game. Quite a significant difference:shakehead

Desharnais has no pattern of high level point production except for every level at which he has ever played-including the NHL.:sarcasm: Helluva vacuum.

Good to know that it "looks like" MB and MP are carrying the line. Thanks for the solid analysis.

For the record, DD has 88 points over the past 2 season. Only one Canadien has eclipsed that total. Points do not grow on trees in today's NHL nor are they simply a byproduct of playing situations.

I want DD to succeed. I understand these statements, but I just can't erase from my mind his performance in last year's playoffs. If that's what Desharnais' game looks like when playoffs time comes, when physicality highly augments, then what?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Desharnais was one point behind Cole with one less game. Only 5 behind MP. Quite significant differences:shakehead

Good to know that it "looks like" MB and MP are carrying the line. Thanks for the solid, factual analysis. LOL

So much "wrong", and yet it's right that he had the fewest points of the three, and was seen as the "passenger" on that line. And I know he only played 1 full season at the time. It's still right that he has only hit 60 points once, under ideal circumstances, so he can't be referred to as a "60 point" player as if we see this time and time again from him. And did you just bring up point production in the minor leagues of an undersized player? Points are not a product of playing situation? Talk about epic fail, lol.

So in summary, so much "wrong" that is, in fact, technically right. The epic fail is yours dude. Keep it next to your pillow when you hit the sack tonight. There's so much, though, you might want to share with friends and family.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
So much "wrong", and yet it's right that he had the fewest points of the three, and was seen as the "passenger" on that line. And I know he only played 1 full season at the time. It's still right that he has only hit 60 points once, under ideal circumstances, so he can't be referred to as a "60 point" player as if we see this time and time again from him. And did you just bring up point production in the minor leagues of an undersized player? Points are not a product of playing situation? Talk about epic fail, lol.

So in summary, so much "wrong" that is, in fact, technically right. The epic fail is yours dude. Keep it next to your pillow when you hit the sack tonight. There's so much, though, you might want to share with friends and family.

Here is a fact for you.

DD has hit 60 points in EVERY full season he has played.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I want DD to succeed. I understand these statements, but I just can't erase from my mind his performance in last year's playoffs. If that's what Desharnais' game looks like when playoffs time comes, when physicality highly augments, then what?

Maybe so but Plekanec doesn't excel in playoffs either. Eller's performance in playoffs is a N/A too for various reasons. He's truly untested because he was injured and he was too raw prior.

Still, I hear no concerns about the others.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Whether desharnais has a good season or not, he is a bridge player at the center position. Hopefully galchenyuk will be ready to take that spot at some point before or at desharnais' contract expiry. Eller continues to be a question mark so its probably up to galchenyuk and his rate of development

I would love for desharnais to put up good numbers as a hab for the duration of his term. It means that the habs could even get an asset back for him.

There's many bridge players on this team right now. Outside of pacioretty and plekanec, our top 6 is full of the bridge players

Points would be nice. One question, do we win the cup with DD? I say we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille