What if David Desharnais produces this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Max Eller AK
Bourque Pleck Gionta
Prust Galchenyuk Gallagher
Moen Bournival White

Looks like a better lineup to me. AK would work with Galchenyuk nicely too if they wanted to swap him with Gallagher. That would've been a nice solid forward lineup with no Briere or DD in it.

Oh well...

I prefer having DLR than AK.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
There's a rumour that Panthers interest in DD. The return may be Kopecky.

If you were the GM, would you do it ?

Avengers*

There's a rumour that Panthers interest in DD. The return may be Kopecky.

If you were the GM, would you do it ?

Hell to the yes son!

A great third liner and only 1 more year at $3 million not 3 more years at $ 3.5million

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, I remember before it came out that we were going after Briere I was laughingly joking about us going after him. I was floored when we actually did. I wouldn't have feared this before but I do now.

I don't want any part of that guy and his crazy-insane contract. If it happens it will be Gomez Part II.

Except Briere was a free agent. If Giroux was, no doubt we'd be going after him.
But giving up Galchenyuk or Eller for him? I doubt. I can see us move Plekanec for him, but not Gally or Eller. I know Bergevin has contradicted himself before, but I doubt he gets rid of some of his best youngsters for a struggling one signed to a ridiculous deal.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
So where did you hear about this rumor?
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Joce...mouvement-de-personnel/192/55089#.UmqLU_msiSr

"Une rumeur semble avoir eu assez de fondé pour se retrouver sur les ondes d'ESPN alors qu'on mentionnait que les Panthers de la Floride pourraient bien être intéressés à David Desharnais et pourraient offrir en retour Tomas Kopecky (qui faisait partie des Hawks de Chicago lorsque Marcg Bergevin y était). Ce n'est qu'une rumeur, ça vaut ce que ça vaut..."

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
People don't want him gone because he doesn't put up points. He's a bad fit for this team even though he does put up 50-60 points and he's the odd man out at Center, can't play the wing.

The problem is he useless in the playoffs. He did not touch puck vs Ottawa.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm not sure Florida would make a trade for DD. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Although, I'd probably try to squeeze out a pick...just because. Assuming it's even possible.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Good on faceoffs, but unless we've totally re-written expectations and placed his ceiling on the Gomez scale (works hard, getting chances, good in the dressing room, shows he "cares") DD's lack of intangibles requires he show up on the scoresheet.

The guy has zero goals in 10 games, and is a team worst +/-, his effort should be making everyone forget these facts.

An honest(and what I consider fair) assessment:

Strong FO. Had breakaway(drew penalty), backchecking, etc..

I mean, these are good basics in helping the team win. I HOPE many would agree with that.

The problem is, he's an offensive player or well...is expected to be one. He can be a good team player, win faceoffs and do all that stuff but grinders do that and get paid less. DD gets paid 3.5 mil because he's expected to produce. He's not expected to produce 60 points again but guy should be hovering at around 0.5 PPG. 35-45 points a year, winning faceoffs, backchecking, using his speed, etc... In that case, it would be good.

35-45 points with no hustle, no faceoffs is no good. At this point, asking for 35-45 points is asking for an offensive top 9 player. Which is reasonable, but you'd expect them to contribute in other ways as well. You'd expect them to draw penalties, to win faceoffs and do some little things.

Will DD ever be a two-way force? Nope. Does he have the capability to produce 0.5ppg and win faceoffs, create chances, etc... I think so BUT he isn't showing it. He had some average games, he had a very good game but he's had some bad games too. The guy is struggling. I don't foresee him being on a year long cold streak but consistency is important. We need players to be somewhat consistent(not expecting a point every game or whatever but the chances, the drive, etc... need to be there). He's got the hustle there, not the results. Results matter.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
DD has shown an improved ability in the faceoff circle this year (despite a limited sample size of games played to date), with a 58.3 winning percentage, good for 8th best in the league amongst forwards who have taken 100 or more faceoffs. He had a 50% success ratio overall last season.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

I mean, these are good basics in helping the team win. I HOPE many would agree with that.

The problem is, he's an offensive player or well...is expected to be one. He can be a good team player, win faceoffs and do all that stuff but grinders do that and get paid less. DD gets paid 3.5 mil because he's expected to produce. He's not expected to produce 60 points again but guy should be hovering at around 0.5 PPG. 35-45 points a year, winning faceoffs, backchecking, using his speed, etc... In that case, it would be good.

35-45 points with no hustle, no faceoffs is no good. At this point, asking for 35-45 points is asking for an offensive top 9 player. Which is reasonable, but you'd expect them to contribute in other ways as well. You'd expect them to draw penalties, to win faceoffs and do some little things.

Will DD ever be a two-way force? Nope. Does he have the capability to produce 0.5ppg and win faceoffs, create chances, etc... I think so BUT he isn't showing it. He had some average games, he had a very good game but he's had some bad games too. The guy is struggling. I don't foresee him being on a year long cold streak but consistency is important. We need players to be somewhat consistent(not expecting a point every game or whatever but the chances, the drive, etc... need to be there). He's got the hustle there, not the results. Results matter.

s'good post bro

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Screw that!!........she should tell him "you ain't getting any till u score a goal" (as opposed to getting a massage from her before every game!) , gonna b a long winter for David I think

Haha!! Well...we're not even sure if that's his girlfriend??, but if she is...your plan is better!! If it works because he might just look elsewhere if she doesn't ''give him any'',etc,etc!!

No worries...it's a matter of time before DD gets his TWO BIG WINGERS back so he can do his crafty passes (worth $3.5mil/year!!:amazed:) to them!!
Unless you make a French Connection line!?! (Bournival - DD - Briere.... where Bournival-the-rookie is the one doing all the work and hustling on the line!!).

One bright light in stats' department for DD vs Ducks:
DD was 13-2 in faceoffs!!:amazed:
(because of that his stock went up from 9th Rnd Pick to maybe a 5th Rnd Pick!! and that's a maybe...if Habs pay half of his salary!).

Kopecky:
I'd take Kopecky and run!! (if that offer is legit).
It'll also free up lots of money in the near future for the more important players of our organization (PK Subban, Eller,etc).

Have a good weekend everyone!!

Go Habs Go!! (I'm just hoping they can all be and stay healthy for the playoffs...for once!! #$%^&*#$%).

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
The lamentations and gnashing of teeth over Desharnais are hilarious. While I didn't agree with the length of his contract, DD has some utility. It was partly Therrien's fault for playing him with Briere when he started this season. DD needs TWO BIG WINGERS to succeed, ideally with some speed. When MaxPac comes back , I hope he rejoins DD (Bournival has better chemistry with Pleky, imo) with Bork on the right and he'll likely do much better.

DD's contract is untradable folks. Accept him for what he is, and put him in the best context for him to contribute. Not to mention that trade activity is and likely to remain low across the league due to the salary cap, any fantasy of a DD trade is precisely that... a fantasy.
While I agree with your opinion, the salary cap is bound to get up big time in the near future. This could create a spike in UFA salaries (as suddenly all the big teams have more cap to spare at the same time). A 2 or 3 years 3.5M of a Desharnais who hopefully could start producing could be enticing for some teams who don't want to deal with the UFA market. That's a silver lining but still.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Highly unlikely without getting regular 1st PP minutes ignoring production rate and having Pacioretty glued to him though...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Highly unlikely without getting regular 1st PP minutes ignoring production rate and having Pacioretty glued to him though...

He's been over 0.5 ppg in his entire career. As a total and individual seasons.

Last year he had 21 ESP in 48 games. Over 82 games? 36 ESP.

Like I said, 35-45 shouldn't be a crazy expectation. I don't think he NEEDS max but having max doesn't hurt his production.

Not saying he's on pace for that now but it's a reasonable request for production IMO.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He's been over 0.5 ppg in his entire career. As a total and individual seasons.

Last year he had 21 ESP in 48 games. Over 82 games? 36 ESP.

Like I said, 35-45 shouldn't be a crazy expectation. I don't think he NEEDS max but having max doesn't hurt his production.

Not saying he's on pace for that now but it's a reasonable request for production IMO.

He's been knocked out of the top-6 so barring injury he'll be getting 3rd line minutes and at most 2nd wave PP time. Just like he did in his rookie year. That year he was on pace for 27 ESP, so 35 points is doable but he'll have to turn it around pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad