What if David Desharnais produces this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
the reality is this

if he is in your lineup your in trouble

there is no DD PLAYING ON ANY CONTENDER AND NEVER WILL

go down the list Boston, LA, Hawks , etc...

their dd`s are in the minors or not in thier system and will never be key guys in their lineup

8-10 players need to be flushed out before we can even think of being a contender one day

we arent close and the quicker we start the better we will be

Look I don't know in which LA-LA land you live in but there is no player that needs to be ''flushed out'', you don't FLUSH OUT players to better your team, your players either improve because they are in this process (Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival etc.), or when you have players who have declining production you either trade to get better players or you wait for your rookies to come in and do the job in a couple years. That's how you build teams like Chicago or LA...

The habs have finished 2nd in the East and 4th overall in the league, There is NO need to *FLUSH OUT* 8-10 players and David Desharnais will be playing this year to either stay or leave the club ( There is at least a dozen clubs that would line up ready to have him on their roster ) More so in the 3rd C capacity, when summer comes.

* When Galchenyuk is good enough to become our number 1 C, Pleky or DD will have to go and then we will have to make the decision, whoever between DD an Plek gets the best job done will get the spot.

onemorecup*

Look I don't know in which LA-LA land you live in but there is no player that needs to be ''flushed out'', you don't FLUSH OUT players to better your team, your players either improve because they are in this process (Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival etc.), or when you have players who have declining production you either trade to get better players or you wait for your rookies to come in and do the job in a couple years. That's how you build teams like Chicago or LA...

The habs have finished 2nd in the East and 4th overall in the league, There is NO need to *FLUSH OUT* 8-10 players and David Desharnais will be playing this year to either stay or leave the club ( There is at least a dozen clubs that would line up ready to have him on their roster ) More so in the 3rd C capacity, when summer comes.

* When Galchenyuk is good enough to become our number 1 C, Pleky or DD will have to go and then we will have to make the decision, whoever between DD an Plek gets the best job done will get the spot.

first of all name me the dozen clubs that want DD :laugh::laugh::laugh:

secondly I dont give a rats ass where we finished in the standings
we are NOT NOT NOT built to win in the playoffs PERIOD

Thirdly the Hawks , and Bruins built thier core first internally then built around the edges when they are good enough , they didnt spend years tinkering with trash or trading for Gomez trash or signing dd`s , Cammy and Gio to stupid deals when the end result was failure

name one stupid contract on either roster or players that dont fit thier system?

The Hawks did a great job winning a cup , having to dump 1/2 a roster due to cap , retooling correctly and won another cup , it took ballz to dump what they had to do
but did it

we are too effen scared to let the kids play to develop and always have been

Simply Put Galchy is ready and so is Eller to play a prominent top 6 role

with Pleks still in the fold there was no need to pay dd who is effen useless on our top 6 . Even if Galchy slumps a bit Pleks is there who can cover him for a while
but he wasnt drafted #3 to play second fiddle to a midget who cant play on a top line . Boyes just signed for 1 mil , you can find short term fixes on the cheap evert summer

he isnt hung out to dry we have enough vets to shelter him

Same with the D , most of our D is free next summer , it is imperative to insert Tinordi and maybe Pateryn this year so we dont end like 2009 where we had to spend like drunks to fill a roster

as for the flushing out , the following are no longer required at some point this year or next summer

Cube, Drewiske , Diaz, Gio, DD , Murray ,Moen

Markov is simply a pp player right now , let him walk or trade him

Gorges should be a 5 , not playing top 4 where is mismatched and overated

Briere is past his prime ...should of got 1 year , why 2 ?

at some point my freind you have to start stearing the ship the right way , not patching or bandaiding or we will be still be in LA LA land like you said

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
« Je ne sais pas si vous l'avez regardé de près, mais David paraît plus rapide, il gagne ses batailles individuelles et il fait des jeux, a soulevé Pacioretty. Il est en mission, c'est beau à voir. Il a été écorché après la dernière saison, mais c'était injustifié tant qu'à moi. Il est gonflé à bloc cette saison et je le suis aussi. Je suis heureux de le voir jouer avec confiance en ce moment. » - Pacioretty (from that RDS article quoted earlier)

In french : Pacioretty says Desharnais is on a mission. He's faster than last year, makes plays and wins his battles. He's had it rough last season and and received a lot of flak and criticisms, which he thinks was unjustified. Says Desharnais is pumped to begin the season, and so is he, he's happy to see him so confident.

These guy have some nice bromance going on it seems. I can hear all the Desharnais haters cringing at the prospect of these two playing together for a few more years... ;)

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
You guys are so blinded by the youth movement you can't even see that CLEARLY Galchenyuk isn't ready for anything more than the 3rd line. Eller could be close to the 2nd center but he has to prove it first. Typical HFboards where potential trumps proven talent, on the actual line-ups.

If you guys think we'd be better to play Eller and Galchenyuk 18-20 mins/night and dump DD, I guess it could be useful to tank. Galchenyuk is seen as the messiah yet he loses almost all his board battles. He is gonna be a great player for us in years to come, but being a top 6 forward on a winning team is more than showing display of talent.

DD skates and battles for the puck like none in this club, he's great to get and keep the possession of the puck. He has a great chemistry with our best winger and even though he's 27, he still has much to learn and will improve as he only played 2 full years with the club (less than Eller BTW). Before last year, he kept getting better every single season. People don't put much stock into preseason but the DD we saw seems like one who will break the 60 pts quite easily IMO.

Anyway it's a lost cause to argue with many poeple here but out of anyone who should be given the benefit of the doubt, given their track records, it's DD and Brière.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You guys are so blinded by the youth movement you can't even see that CLEARLY Galchenyuk isn't ready for anything more than the 3rd line. Eller could be close to the 2nd center but he has to prove it first. Typical HFboards where potential trumps proven talent, on the actual line-ups.

If you guys think we'd be better to play Eller and Galchenyuk 18-20 mins/night and dump DD, I guess it could be useful to tank. Galchenyuk is seen as the messiah yet he loses almost all his board battles. He is gonna be a great player for us in years to come, but being a top 6 forward on a winning team is more than showing display of talent.

DD skates and battles for the puck like none in this club, he's great to get and keep the possession of the puck. He has a great chemistry with our best winger and even though he's 27, he still has much to learn and will improve as he only played 2 full years with the club (less than Eller BTW). Before last year, he kept getting better every single season. People don't put much stock into preseason but the DD we saw seems like one who will break the 60 pts quite easily IMO.

Anyway it's a lost cause to argue with many poeple here but out of anyone who should be given the benefit of the doubt, given their track records, it's DD and Brière.

Give me a break...

DD's downside are his puck possession skills and that he loose much of his 1 on 1 battle (Plus his defensive skills). That's the main reasons a lot of poeple dislike him!!! He's one of the worst forecheckers on the team, come on!

And give me a second break.....track record.

10 years of greatness + one of the best NHL clutch player in the PO for Briere
3/4 of a season of greatness + totally sucked in the PO for DD

Yeah...they have about the same track record:shakehead

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Give me a break...

DD's downside are his puck possession skills and that he loose much of his 1 on 1 battle (Plus his defensive skills). That's the main reasons a lot of poeple dislike him!!! He's one of the worst forecheckers on the team, come on!

Those are pretty strong statements.
By writing them, you discredit your argument.

DD is faster and more alert. He is better in his defensive coverage.
I am certainly willing to see how he will go with Brière.

You are pretty fast to throw DD to the curbs.
How many 60 points players we had in the last five seasons?
  • Kovalev in 08-09
  • Plekanec in 09-10
  • none in 10-11
  • Pacioretty, Cole and Desharnais in 2011-12
  • Pacioretty and Subban pace in 2012-13

Last season, Desharnais continued to produce despite Cole collapsing.

DD will get 50+ points again and I would not be surprised to see him break the 60 points mark again.
I really like how his line behave.
I can see our top-5 scorers: Pacioretty, Subban, Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Eller next season.

onemorecup*

Give me a break...

bang on my friend:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

onemorecup*

:laugh::laugh::laugh: your kidding right

onemorecup*

when galchy is #1 , if DD is #2 he is the worst number 2 in this league

those are 2 way horses like J Staal bergeron or M Richards , wtf is DD going to do in that role. He cant defend those guys down the middle

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Those are pretty strong statements.
By writing them, you discredit your argument.

DD is faster and more alert. He is better in his defensive coverage.
I am certainly willing to see how he will go with Brière.

You are pretty fast to throw DD to the curbs.
How many 60 points players we had in the last five seasons?
  • Kovalev in 08-09
  • Plekanec in 09-10
  • none in 10-11
  • Pacioretty, Cole and Desharnais in 2011-12
  • Pacioretty and Subban pace in 2012-13

Last season, Desharnais continued to produce despite Cole collapsing.

DD will get 50+ points again and I would not be surprised to see him break the 60 points mark again.
I really like how his line behave.
I can see our top-5 scorers: Pacioretty, Subban, Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Eller next season.

Are you aware that DD made 60 points while playing an average of 18 minutes a game?
On a team that rely on one single line to produce?
Playing with 2 Powerforwards?

Do you think DD will benefits from any of those again?

Patrice Bergeron hardly made 60pts in the las couple of season...does that mean that DD is as good cause he made 60 pts????

As for his line.....i would put Briere at center. DD'd lack of defensive skills would be a lot less of a problem!

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Absolutely. If Deshernais has a bounce back year. You have to consider selling high, especially if we are trailing in the standings. Nothing against the guy, however we will inevitably have a logjam at centre and Galchenyuk needs to be the focal point eventually. Better to trade Des in this scenario and get a decent return than nothing at all.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
Desharnais looked good in the preseason. Having him on the team isn't going to determine whether or not we do well in the playoffs. I think he will have a great season, and many will be left grasping at straws in an attempt to continue to dislike him.

I am surprised people get so animated about the guy. I had no idea until signing up here a few weeks back that so many people loathe him. It's not as if he is a coaster like Kostitsyn was.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Here's what I wanna know

What if he doesn't produce this year???!!!

It will be a gomez situation in which they have to keep playing him in order to give the illusion that he's still a capable NHLer. That is my worst fear when it comes to Desharnais.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Here's what I wanna know

It will be a gomez situation in which they have to keep playing him in order to give the illusion that he's still a capable NHLer. That is my worst fear when it comes to Desharnais.

A gomez situation? Will you have vote Desharnais as your avatar?

I don't see it ever turning into a Gomez situation. Desharnais gets paid ~47% of what Gomez got paid, and he's more productive. Desharnais has an undeniable value: If any 2 of Plekanec, Eller, and Galchenyuk are simultaneously injured, we'll be glad to have Desharnais. Even that was not true of Gomez in his last year here, he was an underproductive 4th liner.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Here's what I wanna know

You can say that about all other players in the league that have multi year contract.

Fine, you don't like DD. Now please wait a bit and don't go full hysterical without any tangible evidence of him being nearly as bad as Gomez. And as DAC said, its not like Desharnais is paid a premier - sure he has a contract with some lenght but his salary is extremely move-able.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Are you aware that DD made 60 points while playing an average of 18 minutes a game?
On a team that rely on one single line to produce?
Playing with 2 Powerforwards?

Do you think DD will benefits from any of those again?

Patrice Bergeron hardly made 60pts in the las couple of season...does that mean that DD is as good cause he made 60 pts????

As for his line.....i would put Briere at center. DD'd lack of defensive skills would be a lot less of a problem!
TOI is at par with Pacioretty and Cole.
He was 92th in the league among forwards for TOI and 57th in points.

What is the problem with TOI?
That's not even top-3 (pretty clear: 3 players per team X 30 teams).

Regarding the two Powerforwards, let's see what he does with Brière.
He also is the player who helped Pacioretty to elevate his game.
MaxPac has been very clear about David abilities.
Don't you think he knows better than you?

As for comparing him with Bergeron, I agree.
Bergeron was paid 5M while Desharnais was paid 850K.
Even next year, you get Bergeron for 6.5M while you get Desharnais for 3.5M.
There are about 230 players making more than him in the league: 10 per team. 60% are forwards so about 5 forwards per team are paid more than Desharnais.
I know that Bergeron is better but he is also paid a lot more.
He also has more space to play his game in Boston than DD ever had in Montreal.

As for centering the line, I trust Habs coaching staff in their decision.
Brière seems ok with the setup. He was probably told before signing his contract what were the plans.
Did you see that sometimes it is Brière who takes the faceoffs?

So basically, he produce more based on TOI. Thanks for bringing the point.

He also outproduce a lot of players for the money.
In the last 10 years, how many players scored 60 points for 850K?
For this price, you have Drewiske as a health scratch.
At 3.5 M, you get the last player of a top-6 in the league.

Did you mentioned that he is durable?

Just to finish: in the last three season, he was paid 2M total.
For that price, we had 34G and 76A.
His 301K in 2009-10 is about the same as the signing bonus of Tim Bozon.
Just putting things in perspective here.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Here's what I wanna know

It can not be like Gomez.
We got 34G and 76A from DD for 2M.

Fact is that in 2010-11, Gomez was paid 8M for 38 points.
Desharnais was paid 301K for 22 points.

Following year, Gomez gave us 11 points for 7.5M (681K per point) while Desharnais gave us 60 points for 850K (14K per point).
So Gomez was 48 times more expensive.:amazed:

With his new salary, Desharnais would have to produce 5 points to be compared with Gomez.

Please do not compare Gomez to Desharnais.
Gomez: 23M for 21G and 87A (108 points).
Desharnais: 14M for 110 points + all the production of the next four years.

His best season, Gomez gave us 59 points for 8M.
For 3.5M we get 26 points.:laugh:
So 27 points from DD is better than the best season of Gomez.

We are not talking about top-3 salary here, we are talking about the salary of a 5th or 6th forward.

Just to put things in perspective: Grabovski was given 5.5 X 5 after scoring 58 points.
I think we did well with 3.5M X 4 after scoring 60 points.
Curious to see how many points Grab will get with Laich and Brouwer?
I am thinking 40+ with second unit PP. Brouwer gets 3.6M and scored 40 points once while Laich gets 4.5M for toppping 59 points once.​

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
People don't want him gone because he doesn't put up points. He's a bad fit for this team even though he does put up 50-60 points and he's the odd man out at Center, can't play the wing.

Thanks, end of thread. Move on.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
A gomez situation? Will you have vote Desharnais as your avatar?

I don't see it ever turning into a Gomez situation. Desharnais gets paid ~47% of what Gomez got paid, and he's more productive. Desharnais has an undeniable value: If any 2 of Plekanec, Eller, and Galchenyuk are simultaneously injured, we'll be glad to have Desharnais. Even that was not true of Gomez in his last year here, he was an underproductive 4th liner.

I may have to start a campaign to get Desharnais into the all star game :laugh:
Its not likely that two of those three you mentioned will go down at the same time. If that does happen though, I would rather that Bournival would get some top 2 line minutes. That is, after all, what Bournival is aspiring to do anyway. You could argue that Bournival is a rookie and he would suck defensively, but he wouldn't be much worse than Desharnais because he's not great defensively either. So yeah, I don't see much use for Desharnais, especially now with Bournival in the picture.

You can say that about all other players in the league that have multi year contract.

Fine, you don't like DD. Now please wait a bit and don't go full hysterical without any tangible evidence of him being nearly as bad as Gomez. And as DAC said, its not like Desharnais is paid a premier - sure he has a contract with some lenght but his salary is extremely move-able.

Where did you see full hysterical? If he does what he did last year, that would mean he would have not produced in his first two years of a four year contract. Do you think he would turn it around in his third year? I think not. The way I'm comparing his contract to Gomez is that I'm saying Desharnais' contract would be a liability much like Gomez ' was. It obviously wouldn't be to same extent because Gomez's contract was much bigger but the point that I was making is that the contract would be a liability. In that case, Desharnais would have to be 'showcased' much like Gomez was so that teams would make a move on him. It's hard to trade someone from the press box. If he isn't producing, the team would suffer as a result of this 'showcasing'.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'd still trade him.

My hatred for him has nothing to do with point production

Try to use the term dislike, not hatred dude. Hatred is for someone who is evil and hurts people. Like Mao, or Stalin. DD is not evil. He just is not a great no 2 C man for Habs when we want to contend...:)

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
It can not be like Gomez.
We got 34G and 76A from DD for 2M.

Fact is that in 2010-11, Gomez was paid 8M for 38 points.
Desharnais was paid 301K for 22 points.

Following year, Gomez gave us 11 points for 7.5M (681K per point) while Desharnais gave us 60 points for 850K (14K per point).
So Gomez was 48 times more expensive.:amazed:

With his new salary, Desharnais would have to produce 5 points to be compared with Gomez.

Please do not compare Gomez to Desharnais.
Gomez: 23M for 21G and 87A (108 points).
Desharnais: 14M for 110 points + all the production of the next four years.

His best season, Gomez gave us 59 points for 8M.
For 3.5M we get 26 points.:laugh:
So 27 points from DD is better than the best season of Gomez.

We are not talking about top-3 salary here, we are talking about the salary of a 5th or 6th forward.

Just to put things in perspective: Grabovski was given 5.5 X 5 after scoring 58 points.
I think we did well with 3.5M X 4 after scoring 60 points.
Curious to see how many points Grab will get with Laich and Brouwer?
I am thinking 40+ with second unit PP. Brouwer gets 3.6M and scored 40 points once while Laich gets 4.5M for toppping 59 points once.​

Yeah I don't know when this switch happened with the media and the English language in general but somehow when you compare two people these days, you are comparing every single aspect of those two people. This is why everyone has to be extra careful when they make comparisons these days. When someone says 'Galchenyuk has a similar playing style to Malkin', people go crazy on them and say 'Woah, you are comparing Galchenyuk to Malkin, do you even watch hockey?!" The reality is the person is just trying to say Galchenyuk plays in a similar style to Malkin without saying anything about where Galchenyuk may end up or that he as skilled as Malkin.

Similary, I am just saying if Desharnais doesn't produce this year, his contract would be a liability. I am not saying how big of a liability or whether he is as bad as Gomez was, I am saying the situation would have similarities to the Gomez one.

From now on, when I mention two names in a sentence, I will have to add that mandatory introduction part that every one has to add nowadays, "I'm not comparing them but.." which I find foolish because people should just know what I'm saying but hey, who am I to argue with how things are perceived nowadays?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Overall I find this thread ridiculous.

Desharnais is not Martin St-Louis: lose the dream.

The only way Desharnais produces this year is if Therrien rewards him with the best ice time, opportunities, and linemates. If that happens, trade him while his value is high.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Overall I find this thread ridiculous.

Desharnais is not Martin St-Louis: lose the dream.

The only way Desharnais produces this year is if Therrien rewards him with the best ice time, opportunities, and linemates. If that happens, trade him while his value is high.

Kaberle is also a great player.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Desharnais looked good in the preseason. Having him on the team isn't going to determine whether or not we do well in the playoffs. I think he will have a great season, and many will be left grasping at straws in an attempt to continue to dislike him.

I am surprised people get so animated about the guy. I had no idea until signing up here a few weeks back that so many people loathe him. It's not as if he is a coaster like Kostitsyn was.

Welcome to HF Boards, my friend, a place that is very different from the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->