What happened to Laine’s goal-scoring?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's definitely not unlucky points-wise. His line has a pretty high-oiSH% with a ton of secondary assists playing with two really good goalscorers. His line is also pretty bad by defensive metrics.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
People are too goal oriented its better for Laine to score 30 goals+50 assists and be good 2 way player /team first mentality kind of player than to score 50 goals and 30 assists and be lazy floating one dimensional scorer type and Laine is just learning to his all around game this season... For future seasons i predict he will score multiple time's 40-50 goals and 90-100 points and being good reliable two way player/allaround player. That will make him as valuable ass 60 goal 110 point one dimensional version.

32 goal 53 assist Ovechkin was one of the best two way players of all time.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I live in Toronto. If they don’t make the playoffs, heads will roll. 2 goals in a loss is overlooked.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make here? Or were you just casting out the line and hoping to get some bites? :help:

Reactions: Bedards Dad

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
32 goal 53 assist Ovechkin was one of the best two way players of all time.
Hmm i was just talking in general not about Ovechkin. Laine has become underrated Player he isn't total bum he is maybe even better than Nylander(William) atleast equal ... and has time to develope and become star player some day.. Im almost certain that peak Laine will rival and even be better than peak MiGranlund:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Laine has played his best season/been best player he has been overall this season much more valuable/better hockey player than year when he scored 44 for example. He isnt focusing in only scoring goals its like his third objective after playing good defense and playmaking. Laine's 50+ goal seasons are ahead next 5 years he will get there.

What an excuse, of course his primary focus is to score this isn't some Selke forward here. He's only not scoring because teams have figured him out and he can't adapt his scoring abilities around it, he needs to do other things to be an effective player which is what he's doing.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Can you imagine how hard it is to be a Finnish fan on these boards? I preferred the times when Finnish players sucked and there were no superfans ruining our reputation and hyping players. Because of these people, posters love to gloat when Finnish players turn out to not be the new Lemieux, it is f***ing infuriating. Now I know how Leafs supporters feel.

Laine has had his best season on even strength, it is just that his and the whole Winnipeg PP has sucked. I guess losing Bufyglien was a big deal, the lack of his shot really messed their PP up and Maurice is the kind of coach who seems to be rigid in his thinking and unable to fix things. Jets have had really bad advanced stats all year, they had a lot of luck and great goaltending but it is starting to show how weak they actually are.

Laine leads the Jets in plus/minus, can you believe that?

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fixed it for you. Laine is easily leading the forwards in 5 on 5 +/-. Connor might still be a net negative and Scheifele a few on the positive side.
He's sub-50% in cf%, ff% and xGF%, and he's negative relative to his teammates like he has been his entire career.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
He is lucky to not have less points, and to be seen as a failure to the public. Lucky player indeed. Some would argue it's coaching. I would disagree. He has coined the term " laine" to laine is to come into the league, set it on fire, then sizzle out and be relatively mediocre. To think, this bum was conpared to Matthews. Goes to show, people here are out to lunch.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Finish fans 2 years ago: this guy is already # better goal scorer than Ovechkin and it will only get better

Just goes to show how hard it is to consistently score goals.

Bullshit. Never called him better than Ovechkin.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
remember when Laine> Matthews LAINEC was a thing?

the gap AM34 has created over the past two seasons is immense
76g/137pts in 122 games >>> >>50g/98pts in 135 games

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bull****. Never called him better than Ovechkin.
There was a legit thread saying Laine would score at a better pace than Ovechkin because he had the "most goals by a teenager in NHL history!"

fast forward to now and 30g/75pts would be considered a bounceback season

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
What happened to that psycho dad guy? He said Laine would be the greatest goalscorer ever, as good as lemieux and would score 70

Reactions: Kelly

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
There was a legit thread saying Laine would score at a better pace than Ovechkin because he had the "most goals by a teenager in NHL history!"

fast forward to now and 30g/75pts would be considered a bounceback season

Yeah that one I remember. I am just not a fan of generalizing a full fan base due to few apples.

Reactions: Naturaledge

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He needs a fresh coach. The whole team could use a reset.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
What happened to that psycho dad guy? He said Laine would be the greatest goalscorer ever, as good as lemieux and would score 70

Yea those were good times, hes now empath and hes alot quieter. I can only speculate why, but AM34 pacing for 50 most likely has something to do w it.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
When you look at Laine's latest goal against the Blues you can see that he still has it:

The Jets just need to create more similar scoring situations. Now that is Paul Maurice's job and he's failing at it. So the sooner the Jets get rid of him the better it will be for Laine's goal scoring.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
remember when Laine> Matthews LAINEC was a thing?

the gap AM34 has created over the past two seasons is immense
76g/137pts in 122 games >>> >>50g/98pts in 135 games

Laine has taken his team further in playoffs.

Matthews is weak, very weak in playoffs.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Laine is like Kovalchuck in LA. Move him out from Winnipeg and he will double his point production.

Absolutely no way to substantiate this egregious claim, another excuse to add to the long list. The excuse list is looking longer then his accolades list now.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Well not as many feeding him slick passes like back in his sophomore season.

Also look at the assists Byfuglien racked up, he was a factor in helping Laine on a few goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad